• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Help please: Norton Toolbar Update - 2014.7.6 & Identity Safe updates.

(1) The recent announcements mention two versions of the update for the Toolbar - Chrome 36 and Internet Explorer 11/Firefox 31.

Can I download the IE11 version for my IE8 XP desktop?

(2) Likewise, how do I check if I have the Identity Safe standalone version? I've an awful feeling that my Win7/IE11 uses the cloud and my XP/IE8 the standalone. (I raised a problem in an old thread but couldn't resolve it at the time.)

PS Having recently been savaged by an expert on another forum for being thick, I have to say that the good thing about this forum is that the experts here are always helpful - and tolerant - seemingly recognising that most users will have a dumb moment at times.  

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Help please: Norton Toolbar Update - 2014.7.6 & Identity Safe updates.

(1) The recent announcements mention two versions of the update for the Toolbar - Chrome 36 and Internet Explorer 11/Firefox 31.

(2) Likewise, how do I check if I have the Identity Safe standalone version? I've an awful feeling that my Win7/IE11 uses the cloud and my XP/IE8 the standalone. (I raised a problem in an old thread but couldn't resolve it at the time.)

PS Having recently been savaged by an expert on another forum for being thick, I have to say that the good thing about this forum is that the experts here are always helpful - and tolerant - seemingly recognising that most users will have a dumb moment at times.  

Win10 Home v1803 build 17134.345/HP envy/EDGE (rubbish)/IE11 (RIP)11.285.17134.0/ OFFICE 365 Home Personal/Norton Security
Kudos1 Stats

Hi, Taffy. If you have the stand alone version of ID Safe, it should be listed in Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

Otherwise as you know, it's incorporated into the Toolbar and won't be listed.

Not sure if the IE 11 version will be compatible. I don't use ID Safe, at all !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos1 Stats

Taffy_078 wrote:

Think about it - if the new version of the NTB is for IE11 and you are running IE 8 wouldn't that be the same as trying to install a Win 8 update on an XP system?     See you answered your own question!

Stand Alone ID Safe can not be installed on a system that already has NIS or N 360 installed, unless you elected to keep the Stand Alone version when you uninstalled the product in the past.  It is possibe tin that case to have both.  Be sure to check as F4E suggested in your Add/Remove Programs and if there is a separate entry for ID Safe - remove it.

LOL - I think I have demonstrated to you that I can have a "dumb moment" when I asked the IE 9 question about XP!  So yes, we can all have those moments.

Kudos0

Example of yet another dumb moment:

Me: "Can I download the IE11 version for my IE8 XP desktop?"

Yank: "+*^*!!*+#".     Only joking, Yank! As I said, you're soooh tolerant!! 

So, can I put it another way: we poor-relations XP users have no access to this update at all? How will affect us? Has Norton any plans to cater for us, given the millions of XP users? Should I PM Mohan_G or is it likely he'll see this?

I'll look into the Identity Safe issue. Thanks, both.

Kudos0

Hi Taffy_078,

I have done some more checking on my system.  I am running NIS 21.5.0.19, using IE10 and I have Norton Toolbar Extension version 2014.7.6.15.  I think I may have erred in my previous comment as it appears there is a no difference between the NTB Extension for IE 10 or IE 11.  Looking farther I also found that I have the same NTB extension for my FF 30 as Norton says is for FF31.  So maybe I am more confused in the statemet I made tthan you are in asking the question.  It doesnlt seem right that XP IE8 users would be left out.  Perhpas it's just the way it is presented by Norton - just referencing the most current version of IE???

Thinking (that's scarey) about it, I do not know how far backward compatible the IE NTB extensions are supported.  I know FF is only supported back 3 versions - FF28 and older are not supported, but I am not sure about IE.

I'll flag this for @Mohan_G  to get an answer - or perhaps one of our Gurus can assist, as I seem to be brain dead this AM! 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.