• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to Delete N360 Back Up

I can't do proper full scan because I still have my 'junk'  backup from Norton 360. It's huge and I don't want to delete from C drive because that did nothing and might have caused my computer issue in result need to be fix but it still there even though my computer got clean! I don't need or want it. Is there a safe away to get rid of this file off of my computer?

I'm pretty sure the caused of it is that it was always creating new files when backup so it's more than 10 folders long.....

It's pain and I really want it gone. 

Labels: Norton 360, Backup,

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to Delete N360 Back Up

Hi Catz.

1. As I understand your post you want to get rid of an large, old, N360 backup file that is stored on your C: drive.  If any of this is incorrect do let me know.
  2. I assume that you still have N360 on the machine, do you want to use the backup capability?
  3. If you look in the root of your C: drive do you see a folder N360_BACKUP?  If so how many folders does it have in it?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Kudos0

I with Norton With Backup now but my old files are still there. and I don't have permission to look at it anymore even though I'm the administrated - I think I try once before too and nothing happen to. It looks like it still think right now but I don't know if it's doing anything right now.

But before when I could look at it I will have four folders I think and in these folders they will have more folders in each single one and in those folders they had over 1000 files in those 

Yep nothing is happen now it seems stuck and I don't have to wait. So I can't access.

But it still there and when I do a full scan it's such hug number because it's say it's scan the N360 with back up folder 

Thank you for answering my question I ask before but no reply so I deiced to delete some files because it wouldn't allow me to delete all the files at once. Lots happen after so my computer been clean and lost my files and tech installed the Norton for me after he fixes most of my issues. I was kind of surprise to see the file still there.

I have go now but I check for response tomorrow .

Kudos0

Hello again Catz.

I suspect that English may not be your first language.  If you would prefer to post in your native language I can always try and translate through Google Translate.  So do try that if you wish.

I gather that you currently have Norton Security with Backup (NSBU) on your machine.  

• Do you have the backup facility enabled?
  • If so, are you currently making a backup from NSBU?  If are, where are you backing up to (i.e. when you look at the "where" option, what does it say)?
  • If you look at "My Computer" with Microsoft Explorer, can you see a drive called "Norton Backup Drive".  If so, look in that and tell me what you see.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Kudos0

My grammar isn't the best but English is my first language. I was also rushing to go somewhere because you actually replied - I made post before a few month back but no answers.

My issue is that I still have my Norton 360 backup on my C drive which I can't access too anymore because it appear that it's not loading when I say continue. It's has so many files init (when I could access when I did have 360 installed) and it appear to still be there because my full scan tried to scan it. 

I try deleting manually before but I wasn't sure the was the best idea. Right now have Norton Security with Backup installed on my computer which is working fine to the most point. I just wondering if I could delete my old back of the 360 because I don't need or wanted. I don't know the best way to delete it either.  

Kudos0

Hi Catz.

Can you answer the three questions I asked.  Unless I understand a bit more about where you are it is difficult to work out what can be done, particularly as you say you have been deleting bits...

Also, you say:-

I still have my Norton 360 backup on my C drive which I can't access too anymore because it appear that it's not loading when I say continue. 

What do you mean by "continue" how are you trying to access it and where are you "saying" continue?

Mike
Kudos0

Okay if I click on the drive Norton Back Up drive on computer it's has three 'Norton 360 backup on C' 

My Norton Security with Backup say it's being back up my C drive.

Okay two of those files is my backup? I'm kind little lost but it looks like my proper back up and the other two is my old one.

But they are all called 'Norton 360 backup on C'  

Kudos0

Hello again Catz.

Do you really want to back up to your C: drive?  Personally I see little point.

If

• Your C: drive fails.
  • Your lose or damage your computer.
  • You get a malware infection.

then you effectively loose all the files on your C: drive......  That is why you back up data on your C: drive.  So why not back it up somewhere else?

You could back up to the Norton online servers provided you have a good internet connection and the amount of data you want to back up is not too large.  Or you could back up to an external drive which can normally be acquired fairly cheaply.  

If you went for one of those options then all you need to do it set up and run that backup and then you can completely remove the N360_BACKUP folder from your C: drive releasing all the space it is currently taking.

What do you think?

Mike
Kudos0

I was wondering about that but I really don't need my backup.... but I'm also kind of worry if I do it online I will filled up because somehow it kept on creating a new back up it seems..

But is possible to delete just my old files? My computer as already been 'fix' - the tec. clean everything and got rid of all my files which kind of surprise why to see those files still exist. My C drive is fine apparently as well.... If I chose to go online I'm just worry that will go over because I don't want to go over the limit but some how I create such a mess with my old backup.

Online is the next options? My 'd' drive is out because I had issue with it before but ti fix now. 

I guess what I really want to know is if I can delete my old files because I know what they are and if I go to online it will not let me suppress the limit it set? 

Kudos0

Hello Catz.

If you really think you do not need a backup, or do not need Norton backups then you can just switch off the backup facility and delete all your old backup files.

If the backup on your C: drive pre-dates the "fix" to your computer then it probably needs to be deleted as it may well contain the bug that caused your original problems.  There is no way that the person who "fixed" your computer could have checked out and cleaned that backup as it is securely encrypted.

You say that you had a problem with your D: drive but now it is fixed.  Well then why can't you backup to that?

If you choose to backup online then there is a limit and if you reach the limit you will be told and you will have the option to remove the backup or buy more space if you wish.  

Backups to D: or online might actually be of value, backing up to your C: drive really just wastes space.

Over to you to decide what you want to do.

Mike
Kudos0

I have limit space on my 'd' drive I don't want message saying that it's full again.... So I can manually delete my old back up from before? I know what which files is just by looking at it.

Kudos0

Hello again Catz.

I have limit space on my 'd' drive I don't want message saying that it's full again.... So I can manually delete my old back up from before? I know what which files is just by looking at it.

Is that "old back up from before" on you D: drive?  If so then you can delete it and I can advise you how to do that if you wish.

Or are you saying that you just want to delete the "old backup from before" that was on the C: drive and not worry about backing up to D:?  Again I can probably advise you on that if you want to.

If you do back up to your D: drive then it will take space.  If you tell us how much space the "Preview" button says the backup should be and how much space you have free on D:, along with the size of any N360_BACKUP folders on that drive.  I would be happy to pass a comment on whether there is adequate space.

Mike
Kudos0

My old back up is on my C drive - with my new one but in it's own spot. Can I just delete those two (my old backup) from there? 

I think for now I will leave my new back on my drive for now but I just want to delete my old one. How can I delete my old back? By just hitting delete or is there another way of doing it?  

Kudos0

Hi Catz.

So you think that you have an old backup on your C: drive that you want to delete.  And you have a new backup on your C: drive that you want to keep.  If I am wrong in this assumption let me know.

I would expect both to be in the N360_BACKUP folder.  If you have had just two backups stored there then there should be just two folders in that folder they will both have long and complex names.  Is that what you see?

Have you been in to Manage Backup sets and made sure that there is only one backup set defined?

If you do see just these two folders then note the creation date of each.  The more recent should be you more recent backup.

Open the older of the two folders and look for the file DiscId.dat open that with Notepad and check that the name of the set that created it was the name of the old set you no longer want.  If it was then delete that folder from within N360_BACKUP.  It might be quicker and easier if you temporarily switched off the bakup features of N360 before you do this.  This can be done by un-checking the "Backup" box within "Settings".

I hope that achieves what you wanted.

Mike
Kudos0

Okay, I can view my old back on Norton Backup Drive which leads me to three sets. If I click on one of them it will  lead me to C and my user. From there I can view my old files which is how I can tell is the new by just looking at it. 

But if go to my ' C' drive and click the folder it gives me message as I stated from before. And if I say continue it just loads and stops. So I can't view the folder at all. When I add Norton 360 on my computer I could view this folder. I added an attachment to show you what I mean by continue. I'm the administrated for this computer as well. 

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Hello again Catz.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been seeking some assistance from a more knowledgeable Guru (DaveH).  He thinks and I agree that the issue you are seeing with the N360_BACKUP directory is one of permissions and that you are suffering from a "feature" of Windows.  Although you are logged in as an Administrator it is not immediately recognising you as the right administrator to have instant full access to that folder.

So the suggestion is that you go back to the Windows Explorer screen that you show in your pdf, click on the continue and leave the machine alone for at least ten minutes and more if you can do so.  Once you as an "Administrator" click that continue it should start gathering data on the folder (which is probably very large) before it actually comes back with any action, you therefore need to give it time to complete this data gathering.

If the above does not work then you probably need to right click on the N360_BACKUP folder and select "Properties", then under the "Security" tab use the "Advanced" button to edit the permissions that apply to the folder.

Does that help?

Mike
Kudos0

okay.... um I don't know what change but as of right now it allows me to view it. So how do I delete this file - just hit delete? I have five folders..... on of them is 9 GB I also turn of my backup.  

Kudos0

Sorry It post twice because I got an error and refresh my page.... 

Kudos0

Hi Catz.

Great to hear that you can now see into that folder.

How many backup sets do you have defined and want to keep there?  Just the one I believe.  The trick will be to find the right one and remove the others.

Do the creation dates give you any clue as to which is the backup set you want to save?

Mike
Kudos0

I have to use properties and it's my latest one that's the largest - is Jan. 23 2015 .... I just want one... How do I go of getting rid of them?

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi Catz.

Look in the folder with the date that makes it look most likely.  In it will be a lot of subfolders with odd short names and a few files.  Find DiscId.dat and open it with notepad.  It should show a short text file and in that file it will give the backup set name.  If that is the one that you want to save then you know that this is the one of the 5 directories that you want to save.

Next, to save time go to the Settings of Norton and temporarily uncheck the "Backup" and "Backup Status overlays" boxes.  Then close that window down.

Now go back to windows explorer and look in the N360_BACKUP folder.  One at a time select each of the folders that you want to delete (NOT the one you just identified as the one you want to save) and delete them.  If they are large this may take some time.  Allow the system time to complete this.  When one is gone move on to the next until you just have the one folder left in N360_BACKUP.

When that is done, you should have most of your space back.  

If you still want to run a backup to your C: drive (pointless in my view) then open N360 again, go to Settings and re-check the "Backup" box (also "Backup Status overlays) if you wish.  Go into Manage Backup sets and make sure that just the one backup set is defined if you still wish to run it.

Hope that was clear and that it helped.

All the best.

Mike
Kudos0

It's not allowing me access two of the folders. I try going to security tab but I don't think I understand because it list my user as one and if I click on hit nothing really happens. It still say I need permission. I might have figure it out. Okay it should be making one back up file but how do I know for sure - one file I delete was over 200GB

Kudos0

Catz - what is your question?  It seems to be "How do I know for sure?" but I don't understand what it is that you want to be sure about.

As I understand things you had 5 folders in the N360_BACKUP folder.  You were going to check which one you wanted to save.  I assume from your comments that you have identified which one that is.

You appear to now be able to delete the others.  So that should leave you with just one backup folder in N360_BACKUP.  If that is the position you find yourself in, that is what I thought you wanted to achieve.

Mike
Kudos0

Okay I mean how do I know for sure if it's just backing up one.  I'm still need to delete one more folder but I need to gain permission first on each one..... I did for the other one but it wouldn't delete one file which doesn't allow me to gain permission for it but it's small. 

So once this is all over how do I make sure I'm just backing up one set? I don't want huge file like that again. 

Kudos0

Hi Catz.

Make sure that you only have one backup set defined -- Open N360, select Backup: Manage Backup sets - then  look at the box on the right of "Backup set name".  Make sure that if you click the little down arrow on the right of that box, that a drop down list showing more than one name does not appear.  The name in the box on the right of "Backup set name" should be just the name of the one set that you think you have defined.  With only one backup set defined there should only be ... one backup set.

The size of the backup set should be roughly the size predicted when you click on the "Preview" button in Manage Backup Sets, but errors do occur and the size can grow.  If you are worried about the size this fairly useless backup is taking on your C: drive then I would recommend that you erase it and stop doing the backup until such time as you have space on an external drive to hold it or you want to use the Norton Online servers.

Mike
Kudos0

Okay it clear up a lot space. There this just this one file that doesn't want to be delete no matter what - even if I change it to allow me to be in charge, it goes back to saying I don't have permission but everything else is gone from that folder.  It's small so I will leave because I don't think I have choice. 

Thank you for your help and patience. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.