• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

ID safe UI hang with 22.9.0.71 NS update

One of my PCs (windows 10 x64) has received the 22.9.0.71 NS update.  Now going to Identity Safe via NS UI opens the Identity safe UI window , but it just says Loading.  Eventually windows says window not responding and kills it.  The safe can be opened via the firefox toolbar.

Going back to the previous version with NRnR all works again, until Liveupdate updates it to the new version again.  Is anyone else have this issue with the new NS update?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: ID safe UI hang with 22.9.0.71 NS update

Welcome to the Norton Community and thanks for reporting this, @jw123

Could you please post a screenshot of the 'Loading' IdentitySafe UI window?

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi @Mohan_G  , as below.  The safe is closed and also logged out of my norton account.  After a short while the windows kill box aprears, this kills both the IS UI and the NS UI.

Kudos0

Thanks for the quick reply, @jw123.

I've passed this on to the team and they'll look into it.

Kudos0

HI!

Could you please post a screenshot of the 'Loading' IdentitySafe UI window?

And I need to create a new password, even without asking the old password , though from another PC to enter the old password with no problems 

Kudos0

@Vitalii 

Please do not want to do, create a new vault, will lose all the information before.

I am now the same as you, you try to land: https://identitysafe.norton.com/

Will get an error message?

Column as...

Error!

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support.

Kudos0

I have had the same problem.  After many sessions with level 2 tech support, backing off to a previous version of NS did the trick but subsequent updates restored 22.9.0.71 along with the problem of ID safe locking up again.  Help!

Kudos0

Will get an error message?

An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again, if the error persists please contact customer support.

Confirmed!

From the second I enter the PC without problems, and on this issue -above.  What do we do with this PC?

Kudos0

Thanks for this thread, because I've got the same problem and are desperate to have this solved soon! Pls find attached screenshots from Google Chrome and Firefox. Please keep me updated !

Kudos0

Does anyone know whether Norton already resolved this bug?

Kudos0

Hello, any feedback on this very annoying bug yet? Since days I can't use the Safe, as it does not open anymore after entering the (correct) password, but claiming a time-out. See my detailed post further up. Many thanks!

Kudos0

Hallo @kurts

Wie ich aus den Screenshots gesehen habe, benutzt Du eine deutsche Nortonversion. Du kannst auch im deutschen Nortonforum posten:                                                            Und nun zu Deinem Problem: Führe mal das NRnR- Tool aus( LINK).             

MfG
naja

Naja, jeder Rat kann nützlich oder teuer sein und eine Rückantwort daraus macht ihn noch schöner
Kudos0

Danke naja für's melden - doch leider hat das überhaupt nichts gebracht - ausser wieder zusätzliche Zeit aufgewendet für das Entfernen des Norton, Neuladen, wieder alles installieren, wieder alle Updates herunterladen, mit diversen Neustarts dazwischen. Dieser Norton Safe ist ein Hammer: nicht nur dass er seit Monaten nicht mehr integriert im Firefox angeboten wird. Bin jetzt extra zu Chrome gewechselt, hat nun ja bis zum jüngsten Update gut funktioniert, und jetzt vertue ich wieder Stunden ... Bitte nicht bös sein, aber es frustriert. Muss doch mal mi die Arbeit antun einen Ersatz zu finden ...

gruss

Kudos0

On February 26, 2017, I received Norton's Update requiring a reboot # 22.9.0.71 and after that update my Identity Safe would not open and also hung my browser. I had numerous chat sessions and was told that enhancements were being done to identity safe and it would be up and running by end of day on 3/6/17 a WEEK LATER!!!
Well that did NOT happen so I called again. The tech had to do a reinstall because he said that the update did not work properly. Finally after all that, my identity safe was up and running with version 22.8.0.50.
Today 3/9/17, I get another Norton Update so I did it. This update put me back to the version 22.9.0.71 and I am back to identity safe not working and my browsers hanging. In order to get my browsers working again I had to turn off Identity Safe. This is really UNBELIEVABLE!!! How can something like this happen with no customer notification?  

I entered another chat session and now they tell me that I have to wait 24 - 48 hours for a supervisor to call me back because a reinstall will put me back to the working version but the live update will change it again.  Can they just see that 22.9.0.71 and Identity Safe has an issue?  Why keep pushing that update?  Anyway I wanted to ask if anyone was able to restore back to the prior version without an entire reinstall?  When I supported AV at work we used to do this but it was not a Norton's product.

Thank You!

Kudos0

@DEAS717 Same situation here.  I don't know of any way to revert to a previous version without doing NRnR, and, even then, you will get whatever version NRnR gives you.  22.8.1.14 worked for me.  As soon as 22.9.0.71 was pushed, Identity Safe wouldn't open and the Toolbar froze IE 11 under Windows 10.  (See separate thread about that issue.)  I'm able to get IE 11 to work by disabling the Toolbar.  I wish I could get back to any previous version that works, but NRnR doesn't offer that option.

I have two identically configured PCs side by side.  22.9.0.71 works perfectly on one and not on the other.  I can't pinpoint the difference, but I shouldn't have to.  Norton should just work without the user having to care about how.

I'm sure Symantec is working hard to fix the problem, but any sense of urgency isn't apparent to the users.

Kudos0

I can only affirm above observations - exactly same problem with two of my computers! Since weeks now (and the issue to have Identity Safe running again with Firefox is pending since months now). It is just ridiculous! Very annoying ....

Kudos0

Thanks for the response. After another chat session when the problem update was pushed again, I was told I have to wait 24 to 48 hours for a supervisor to call to help me. You are right ... If they are working hard to fix it.. it definitely doesn't show. Plus if we know the update that caused the problem they should so why do they keep pushing it. Totally discussed!!!
Kudos0

As the OP, I fixed my ID safe UI hang after the NS update by converting my Microsoft managed account I was using back to local ie. Windows Settings -> Accounts ,  Sign in with local account instead.

This then allowed the login to Norton account to work, and then the safe to open.  I then converted the local a/c back to a Microsoft managed account and it continues to work as normal, although I'm waiting to see what happens when the Norton account login session eventually expires.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

I received this dreaded update today on my Windows 10 Ann and it has busted my ID Safe as you all state. Have just spent 3 hours on a chat with Norton who removed all my Norton files for NS and Utilities 16, including the Registry. They reloaded the programs but still no good.and have diverted my case to the back office. I await the call. I just hope my local vault still works!!

Kudos0

Hello Paul862

Did you say that the ID Safe that broke was a local ID Safe or did you have both types of Safes?

Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I just hope my local vault still works!!

Have you tried the local vault? If the techs did a very thorough uninstall and removal of all files and registry entries, you may have lost the vault, and also the ability to regain it. If you have another computer that has had a local vault you can find the files you need from there and transfer them to the machine that Norton tried to fix. 

As long as you have had a local vault at some time it is possible to regain it if you have been converted to the online vault. Check the information gathered by user elsewhere in this thread.   https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi Flopot and Peterweb, my post was primarily for information to forum members that the issue has still not been resolved by Norton since first reported to Norton by jw123.two weeks ago, which I consider is deplorable - why did they not stop the deployment of this update. I have both a local and online vault and made this aware to the support team who saved (i hope) the relevant local files before her lengthy attempt to solve the issue.  The reinstall brought back 22.9.0.71, the ID safe UI still hangs on loading and the local & cloud files/ folders appear where they should. Peter, thanks for the thought I used the "retaining your local vault" thread to create my local vault in the first place.

As an aside, we use the safe to remember all our passwords, so had to resort to a backup spreadsheet containing all my site usernames and passwords which Norton Support could see when she was attempting to resolve the issue. Could it not be made clear to them to ask customers to have certain sign-in details to hand before they take control of your pc. I could easily have printed out the sign-ins.

Kudos0

I am still waiting for my 24 to 48 hour call back from a supervisor regarding the Identify Safe UI Hang with 22.9.0.71 NS Update.   After all I have been through, I must say, I am not very optimist that this will occur. 

Has ANYONE heard anything from Symantec/Norton about this?  I really hope I am wrong but there just seems to be no concern about our problem.   

Kudos0

Does anyone from Symantec/Norton's monitor this list because I have not seen any type of updated status regarding the Identity Safe Hang with update 22.9.30.71??????????????

Kudos0

Although this thread notes the problems came with the update to 22.9 version, The timing of the update coincides with what has been a widespread ID Safe server issues. Different server issues have been going on for about a month now.

So is it the server problems or a 22.9 issue? Personally, I have not run into problems with the Chrome browser and NSBU 22.9. I did get hit by an issue logging in from FF.

Either way, Norton is aware and is working on it.

Kudos0

@peterweb,

I am glad to hear that someone is convinced that Norton's is working on this issue.  I myself am not convinced of how much resources they are putting towards this issue.  I have had 4 chat sessions already and still waiting for my 24 to 48 hour call back from a supervisor which will be past due in about an hour.  1st chat started 2/26/17:  basically told me that there was something wrong with my computer and wanted to sent me to their Network Services group to get it fixed for a $199.00 fee.  2nd chat in summary was that they are working on it.  3rd chat was a reinstall that fixed the problem for a day and then the 22.9 version was pushed again the next day and it broke again.  4th chat was that a supervisor was calling me and I have to be patience because they have a lot of calls to make.  Unbelievable!!   I would of lost my job for this kind of service. 

Kudos0

Peterweb, Trump would say it must be the Russians denying access. Anyway I can access my online vault through the iPad app and on my PC using the identitysafe.norton web site, but using the system tray Norton Security UI when selecting ID Safe it goes nowhere - so how can it be a server issue. The last time I used the UI before the update I was in my local vault, so it would normally open in that vault again.

I also am still awaiting Norton to ring me, if I were not a member of this forum I would think it was only my vault not working - Norton, live up to your promises. As Queen Victioria said "We are not amused", yes I am a Brit.

i am amazed that more people are not on this topic, surely it must be affecting a lot of us.

Kudos0

My Internet Service Provider distributes Norton's I wonder why they are not pushing this issue?

Kudos0

Hello DEAS717

From your description of your chat sessions, it doesn't sound like you called the Official Norton Customer Service. I have never heard of a Network Services Group especially one that charges a fee. What is the chat link that you use?  Try using these links. They are the official Norton Customer Support.

www.norton.com/contactcs     or

www.norton.com/chat

We as Gurus do have contact with some of the Symantec Employees.

Thanks.

Who is your ISP and what is your Norton product?

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi floplot, I started a chat with Norton support this morning. They told me hey have resolved the issue, I tried again - and w/o any further Live Update it works now again! Guys, just have a look, maybe this was not only solving the issue for me ;) 

Kudos0

Regret to advise my Identity Safe is still not working and no promised phone call by Norton after 4 days.

Kudos0

The situation you describe is common to dozens of NS users and has existed for at least  Feb. 20.

Until yesterday Norton keeps saying:

I am afraid to inform you that due to some technical glitches we are having trouble with the Identity Safe. Norton is aware of the issue and our technicians are working hard to fix this as quickly as possible.

However, we do not have an exact date…we assure you that it will be fixed in next few days.

Please have faith in Norton… our technicians are working their best to fix this as soon as possible.

Bla! Bla! Bla!

For my side I lost all confidence in Norton. For me it is unacceptable that a software company like Norton is not able to solve a problem like this in just a few days. This is not new software but only a poorly made update that caused this whole problem.

I had renewed the NS license on Dec 20, 2016, asked for a refund of the amount paid and that was promptly accepted by Norton.

Bi bi Norton.

Kudos0

@Cabedelo 33.   I agree with you 100%.  I received the same replies plus the big call back from a supervisor in 24 to 48 hours never occurred.  When I asked about that, they told me they have a lot a called.  I asked what the supervisor was going to do that the technicians can't and they told me that the call was for them to collect logs to fix the problem.  UNBELIEVABLE.  

Kudos0

Does anyone from Symantec/Nortons Monitor this Forum?  Please tell your customers what is going on or they will not be your customers much longer!

Kudos0

Things have gone from bad to worse. 2nd line support tried a fix and it appeared to work while they were online. When I later tested it the UI still hangs and now IE 11 takes 5 or more minutes to open. I resolved the IE non opening by disabling the Norton Toolbar but alas not the ID Safe.(I see other forum threads on IE11 issues).

I contacted Support again today, they ran an agent fix tool on ID Safe to no avail. Support are repeating engineers will provide a fix for this and IE 11 in 48 - 72 hours (again). What a fiasco.

Kudos0

@Paul862,  You got that right.  My Fiasco with this same issue has been going on since February 26th.  I have had 4 reinstalls already back to the version that works and then they send out the 22.9.0.71 update again and it's back to square one.  Whenever I contact support it is the same old story ... we are working on it.... give us one more chance.... etc etc.  The best is the promise of a supervisor calling you within 24.-48 hours.  That never happened so I got the call escalated and guess what.... it still didn't happen.  Maybe I misunderstood.... Maybe they said 24 to 48 days.  LOL.   I use to support AV at my job and whenever an update caused a problem it was pulled and not downloaded again until fully tested in our test lab.   What is wrong with Norton???   I really don't think they care about the Identity Safe Product.   You would think that by now there would be something on their website regarding status etc.  Totally Discussed!!!!

Kudos0

Well Norton missed their second promised call from a Supervisor and this was an escalated call!!  What a joke!!!  To think we are all trusting Norton with the Security of our Computers is REALLY SCAREY!  

There is still no fix.   No promised Call back.  No update on the their website with mention of the problem.  I even notified my Service Provider that pays Norton a good sum of money for this product and there is no FIRE in them to fix this.  \

I remember at least a year ago when my service provider pushed us to use Identity Safe instead of Constant Guard.  They said you can manage all your security in one program.  I took their advice because Constant Guard was having problems at the time.  Well now I am in the same situation!  

I am really surprised that Symantec stands for this!!!

Kudos1 Stats

Hi DEAS717,

In this post floplot asked: 

"Who is your ISP and what is your Norton product?"

Now finally from your last reply (mentioning Constant Guard) and a previous mention of ISP provided Norton - I believe you are in fact running Comcast's Norton Security Suite (NSS) - which only provides a Local Vault.

Have you been telling Norton Support that you are in fact running NSS and you do not have a cloud vault?  If they remote into your system and uninstall/reinstall are they in fact using the Comcast (Xfinity) branded version?

A bit off topic, but Comcast Support knows very little about the Norton product, and is not much help in that area.  Also IMHO  Constant Guard, along with Fast Connect (which Comcast no longer supports) and the Comcast Toolbar will never be on any of my systems as they are usually more trouble than they are worth.

I have not seen anything in regards to ID Safe hanging on the Comcast Forums Security Board.

If you in fact are running a Online Vault on NSS, please tell us how you obtained it nd set it up.   I have both a Local and an Online Vault as I have a retail copy of Norton installed on a second PC and can use the ID Safe with the Norton Account I created on that system.

Kudos0

This is a continuation of  ID safe UI hang with 22.9.0.71 NS update:

I am using a local vault and yes I have reiterated it to Norton every time I chat or call.  I have not dealt with Comcast Support except for a push to Norton to fix this product.  They are providing the product and obviously paying Norton (Symantec) so I thought a company might have better pull to fix this issue because I certainly am not having any at all.  I was told by one of the Norton Chat person that there is the online vault feature for Comcast customers now.  Right now I need the product to work again so I reinstalled for the 5th time back to the version 22.8.0.50 that works.   I know this will only be temporary because the Norton Live update server is going to push out the 22.9.0.71 and it will break again!  During my IT Career, I managed AV and when an update caused an issue we pulled it and did not push it again until fully tested in our lab.  I can't understand why Norton does not do this.  My problem has been going on since February 26th when they first pushed 22.9.0.71 and no one seems to be doing anything about it.  I was finally suppose to receive a call from a supervisor and that didn't happen.  Then I was told that the call would be escalated.  I did not get that one either.  I don't know what else to try.  I am tired of removing and reinstalling every time they push the bad update again. 

Totally Frustrated with NO FIX and ALL the broken promises from Norton. 

Kudos0

@American Eagle

@DEAS717

Thanks for the feedback DEAS717 - fully understand your frustration, bug you are not alone in not being to get anything (or any action) out of Comcast.  I have been a Security Expert (as a Guru) on Comcast's forums for quite a few years and I can not even get a name of a Comcast employee to contact in regards to Norton. The forum admin over there has been asked and is having difficulties getting any employee to admit to working with Norton on the NSS.

I have (through other threads) found that the Stand Alone Identity Safe (IDSS) program can now in fact be installed on a system with NSS installed and also on a system with the retail Norton Product which includes ID Safe - this has been verified by American Eagle and they were surprised as I was that it installed.

I had a thought and I am not going to reread all the posts regarding the IE Freeze/ID safe Hang etc, but has anyone suggested to check the version of IE?  Are you running the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version?

This is an older image I had saved and it shows the 64 bit version - if there is nothing in the circled area - it is 32 bit.  You can also check to see if IE is listed in Programs (64 bit on 64 bit system) or in Programs (X86) - which would be a 32 bit version.

Both of my systems WIN 10 running NS Premium and WIN 7 running Comcast NSS present non of the problems being discussed and they are running IE 11 32 bit versions.

Probably no help - but at least something to check in regards to IE 11 versions?

Kudos0

Hello

It is also easy to check which bit of IE 11 is being used by using Task Manager. My Windows 7 Pro is 64 bit, but my IE 11 is 32 bit and Norton now is 64 bit  I'm not sure what bit my Office 2013.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I am running Windows 8.1 64Bit and IE 11 64Bit.  

Kudos0

I am having the SAME problems.

Windows10, IE 11 - 32Bit

I have contacted support (I have Norton 360 Suite), twice.  (the first guy "went away" after 20 minutes of looking into my computer and restarting the system, had to start the process all over again :(

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Norton 360 using the Norton uninstall/reinstall program at least 4 times.  Nothing works.

When I open N360, my email address does not appear at the top of the window, as it did previously. My subscription status is active.  I can click and use all the services except Identity Safe.  When I try to access Identity Safe, the box comes up but my email address does not appear at the bottom of the screen and there is an Orange ! over the settings button just in front of where my email address should be. After a bit, a box appears: "Let's get Started" [Sign In], Norton account sign on screen appears, [enter password] (not vault pswd), [sign in],  "communicating with server" .....  message:

[X] Server error.  We're working to resolve an issue that prevents us from completing your request. Try again later.

I received a voice message from Norton Support several days after my help request.  I had to listen to it several times before I got the gist of the message. The woman was VERY hard to understand and in her message she said it was her 4th attempt to reach me!  Caller ID had 1 missed call for the day and the Name was UNKNOWN / 800-.......  No calls since then.

So very frustrating.  The program knows who I am; if I select 'Help' after opening N360 and then 'My Norton', IT SIGNS IN to my account!  I can't imagine why it is taking so long to figure this out.  Having to use my online vault to retrieve passwords is so annoying and time consuming.  Grrrrr.  thank you for letting me vent.

Kudos0

I finally received a call from Norton and the rep told me to let the 22.9.0.71 update download because they fixed the problem.  Well I was very hesitant so I kept asking are you sure?  5 reinstalls is not how I want to spend my time.  So since all he did was to keep repeating that it was fixed and if by some chance it is not, to call back.  Well guess what it DID NOT WORK.

Kudos0

My NS updated to 22.9.1.12 but it hasn't made any difference. Support say Engineers are working on the problem but no fix date available. The only place ID safe is working automatically is on my iPad, unless they break that too.

PS - Support gave me a 30 day extension to my subscription for the inconvenience.

Kudos0

@Paul862

Same here updated to 22.9.1.12 and no difference.  Now when I try to contact support, they tell me my case is with second level and they cannot access it so I have to wait for a phone call.  This is really unbelievable.  

Kudos0

Correct the 22.9.1.12 update does nothing to correct ID Safe!  Read the following to see what it does:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2291-product-update-available-now

Kudos0

@Norton Fighter:   Thanks for the link.    So I really don't know what else to say.  They are fixing other small bugs but Identity Safe stays inoperable.  Is Norton just waiting for everyone that uses Identity Safe to get so discussed they scrape it and then Norton doesn't have to fix it.   Now, like I said in a previous message  when I contact support, they tell me my case is with second level and they cannot access it so I have to wait for a phone call.  Any ideas? 

Kudos0

Hi everyone,

A HOTFIX has been released to address this issue and few other issues.

Please run LiveUpdate until no updates are available, reboot, try to reproduce the issue and let me know if the issue is fixed.

Please see the announcement for more details

Kudos0

Well as I expected this HOT Fix was a waste of time.  Identity Safe UI Still hangs just as it did prior to this HOTFIX. 

Frustrated User!  

Kudos0

Did you restart your computer after applying the patch. I know it says it is not required, but sometimes it helps.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.