• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe does not open more than once in Firefox 25.0.

After installing the latest patch yesterday (11-12-13), Identity Safe fails to work on Firefox 25.0. After I click on the VAULT button and enter my password, a window with all saved logins appears (like an old edit window). I click on the X to close the window. Now if I click on the VAULT OPEN button, a window appears giving me a choice of logins to load (similar to the old IS, but without TAG groups). Click anywhere on the desktop and the window disappears. Click on the VAULT OPEN button again and nothing happens. NO window, nothing. Now I have NO way to access the vault. There is NO window hiding under anything. Close Firefox. Reopen Firefox. Click on VAULT OPEN and still nothing. MUST REBOOT SYSTEM TO GET THE VAULT OPEN BACK! In effect, Identity Safe is now USELESS!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe does not open more than once in Firefox 25.0.

After installing the latest patch yesterday (11-12-13), Identity Safe fails to work on Firefox 25.0. After I click on the VAULT button and enter my password, a window with all saved logins appears (like an old edit window). I click on the X to close the window. Now if I click on the VAULT OPEN button, a window appears giving me a choice of logins to load (similar to the old IS, but without TAG groups). Click anywhere on the desktop and the window disappears. Click on the VAULT OPEN button again and nothing happens. NO window, nothing. Now I have NO way to access the vault. There is NO window hiding under anything. Close Firefox. Reopen Firefox. Click on VAULT OPEN and still nothing. MUST REBOOT SYSTEM TO GET THE VAULT OPEN BACK! In effect, Identity Safe is now USELESS!

Kudos0

Welcome,

Sounds like a problem that the team needs to address. I'll see if I can get a message to them.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

fizicsfred

I just tried this on my Win 7 Ultimate SP1, with Firefox 25.0 and did not see what you are seeing. Each time I clicked on Vaut is Open, the little window for Identity Safe would open each time. I tried this at least 8 times.

Does it still not work correctly after you restarted the computer?

Are you using a local or online vault?

What operating system and service pack are you using?

What Norton Product and version are you using? Click on Support - About on the main Norton interface.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I have Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-64bit with all the latest updates EXCEPT IE11 and use the online vault. [Updated to IE11 and lost most desktop gadgets (and other programs, like Quicken, were unable to access the Internet). Installed IE11, back to IE10. All else works fine now.] Updated N360-2014 and installed patch (all current updates are installed). Identity Safe never worked the same after that. I have 2 other computers that went thru the whole IE11-IE10 thing, but I did NOT install the N360 patch. They all work fine. BTW, IE10 works fine with the current IS, but Chrome does NOT(Don't care, I never use Chrome). Click on VAULT, drop-down opens. Click anywhere else, drop-down closes. Click VAULT again and it opens. NOT with FF25.0 though. One click and its gone forever. The only way to get it's return is to reboot the computer. As an example, I have the vault open right now and it will NOT enter my Community login (which I save to IS earlier). I had to manually enter it. I also had about an hour long session with Norton chat. Ashish Jacob took remote control of my computer and saw exactly what I was referring to. He would click on the VAULT button repeatedly without it working. Rebooted the computer, got it to work once, and declared the problem solved! Tried to explain that it wasn't, but he typed Bye and that was it. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Kudos0

Hi frizicsfred,

Like peterweb, I can not duplcate what you are seeing in FF25 - but I have not installed IE 11 and gone back to IE 10, but just don't know what that could have to do with FF 25?

Just a suggestion for you to try - not that it will solve your situation, but may work well enough as a work around for the tmie being to save you from having to reboot.

Log into your vault, when you see the "All Login page" minimize it. Then when you need to go to another login, select the minimized all log in page, and locate the log in you desire and select it.

I'm not sure that will help you any , but you should (hopefully) nothave to reboot to get to a log-in!
Kudos0

peterweb & yank, Thanks for your responses.

Yank, that's exactly what I am doing. But I'm wondering what it will do when I open a page with multiple logins. Normally I would have to click on the VAULT button to pick the correct login. What I really wish is that I could remove that patch. My 2 other computers without that patch work just fine. I've already executed a system restore on this computer to the day before the patch, but had to reinstall Norton 360 in order to get it to work at all. Very 1st update installed the patch again. Not going to try that again because system restore messes up more stuff than it fixes. As far as a cause, it could be an extension. I'm thinking of disabling every extension EXCEPT Norton Toolbar and see what happens. Actually, I will. Let you know what happens ...

Kudos0

Well ... I closed every extension except Norton Toolbar and Norton Vulnerability Protection and ... I was able to actually get the correct Norton popup to open (the one that will normally appear when done in IE10). But once closed it would NOT reopen. But if I restarted FF, it would open again, just once. It also doesn't depend on what is opened. One time I clicked on the "THIS PAGE IS SECURE" button and again, nothing would open afterwards. In other words, the ENTIRE Norton Toolbar becomes dead. Click on anything once, and that's it. DEAD. Right now, the only solution I can see is to some how remove the patch. Any ideas ???

Kudos0

fizicsfred, in the current Norton Toolbar, the only clickable item is the Vault tab, which then opens your vault. All the other menu item dropdowns are contained within the vault's UI. Is this the problem you're referring to ?

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

There are 3 "clickable tabs" on the toolbar. "THIS PAGE IS SECURE" tab which, when clicked, will open a small window telling you about the page's security. "VAULT IS OPEN" tab which is all I care about, and "SHARE VIA SELECT" tab which doesn't seem to do anything. The only one I care about is the "VAULT IS OPEN" tab. IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY.

Kudos0

I checked out the "SHARE VIA SELECT" tab on IE10 and it will open up a window with option to share the page via Twitter, Facebook, etc.. Only really interested in the "VAULT" tab.

Kudos0

Me,too. In the vault options you can disable the share button by unchecking it.

Edit- I stand corrected re the This page is secure tab, as I hadn't used it for some time !...

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi,

Can you uninstall firefox browser(complete uninstall) and reinstall back to check the status?

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

I have 2 computers at home, both running N360 and the Norton toolbar is extremely temperamental in Firefox...

Sometimes (for no apparent reason) clicking on the Vault is Open does nothing - sometimes if I close Firefox and restart it, it works, but not always.  Sometimes when it shows Vault is Closed I just see the tooltip - System restart needed.  Mind you can sometimes get around that by launching N360 and then restarting Firefox...

I just switch to IE 10 in the end - it always seems to work on there without any problems.  But my frustration and failure of Norton to do anything to make ID Safe more user friendly or address any of the reported issues is what has made me switch to another product for when my current subscription ends.

Enuuk PHP Auction Programmer
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice.

I have more or less figured this out. It is caused by N360 version 21.1.0.18 which apparently was created, in part, to work with IE11. On my 2 other computers (that I ill-advisably had installed IE11 on), I uninstalled IE11 and reinstalled IE10 before ever running an update on N360. Not so on my main desktop. The other 2 computers are fully updated and are running N360 version 20.4.0.40 without any problems. My desktop is running version 21.1.0.18 which doesn't work. Bottom line: I need to revert my desktop computer to version 20.4.0.40. Is there an easier way than FULLY (using NRT) unistalling N360?

Kudos0

fizicsfred wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice.

I have more or less figured this out. It is caused by N360 version 21.1.0.18 which apparently was created, in part, to work with IE11. On my 2 other computers (that I ill-advisably had installed IE11 on), I uninstalled IE11 and reinstalled IE10 before ever running an update on N360. Not so on my main desktop. The other 2 computers are fully updated and are running N360 version 20.4.0.40 without any problems. My desktop is running version 21.1.0.18 which doesn't work. Bottom line: I need to revert my desktop computer to version 20.4.0.40. Is there an easier way than FULLY (using NRT) unistalling N360?

I've had good results using Programs and Features in Control Panel to remove v21.  If you use NRT your settings and local vault will be lost/removed, so you should avoid using it unless it becomes necessary.  During the uninstall be sure to select the option to retain your settings (I plan to re-install a Norton Product), but select "No Thanks" to the IDSafe install option question that follows.

After the uninstall completes, even if you're not prompted to, be sure to re-boot before installing v20.  After v20 is installed and activated, and before doing anything else, run LiveUpdate then continue running LiveUpdate until there are no more updates and/or patches remaining to apply.

Once that's done go into Settings and confirm that everything is set as expected - I found that I had to re-enable the IDSafe "Prompt me to login" option on all the systems I've reverted from v21 to v20.

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Well ... that was an adventure! After 4 complete uninstall-install attempts I have finally achieved success!!! I did have to use NRT (twice) because it kept installing v.21 instead of v20. Even when I used a version 20 downloader. I finally went to: www.norton.com/n360s_20 and it downloaded the complete N360v20. I nervously applied 4 patches wondering if this would be the patch that would load version 21, but thank goodness it never happened. Everything is back to how it was 2 days ago.

I would like to thank all who tried to help! But the big question I have after all this, is v21 really compatible with FF25? I think they still have some work to do.

CONSIDER THIS PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Kudos0

fizicsfred, it IS compatible with Firefox 25, for most people. I have Firefox 25, and everything is working fine. I always Live Update first, before installing any other program, and so far, everything has gone according to plan.

FWIW, Firefox 25.1 is out, which may address some of these incompatibilities.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

fizicsfred wrote:

Well ... that was an adventure! After 4 complete uninstall-install attempts I have finally achieved success!!! I did have to use NRT (twice) because it kept installing v.21 instead of v20. Even when I used a version 20 downloader. I finally went to: www.norton.com/n360s_20 and it downloaded the complete N360v20. I nervously applied 4 patches wondering if this would be the patch that would load version 21, but thank goodness it never happened. Everything is back to how it was 2 days ago.

I would like to thank all who tried to help! But the big question I have after all this, is v21 really compatible with FF25? I think they still have some work to do.

CONSIDER THIS PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Just a comment if I may:

Are you absolutley sure you used the NRT (Norton Remvoal Tool)?  It almost sounds like you used the NRnRT (Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool).  The NRnRT, will remove your current Norton install and reinstall the most current version of you Norton product.  Thuis in your case it would have removed V 21 nd the reinstalled V 21.  Using this tool also retains your settings and you Local Vault.  If you had run the NRT, there would have been no reinstall and you would have lost your Local Vault.  so IMHO, it appears you ran the "wrong tool" (NRnRT in lieu of NRT), but came out just fine.

Also, if you desire to remain on V 20, please go to Settings > Administrative Settings > Automatic Download of New Version and change it to OFF > Apply.  This will prevent the program from downloading v 21 and buggng you to upgrade.  Once you are ready to upgrade, you can change it back to On.

Kudos0

In response to F4E:

I still think that the sequence of events might have precipitated the problem (install IE11, update N360, uninstall IE11 and reinstall IE10). Partly because the other 2 computers were not effected (Install IE11, uninstall IE11 and reinstall IE10, update N360) and because some postings referred to v21 as a fix for problems with IE11. Since you said that your version of FF25 has no problem with v21, have you updated to IE11 or are you running IE10? My feeling is that IE11 effects more than just the browser. Example; with IE11, I lost desktop gadgets and Quicken could no longer update accounts (couldn't make an internet connection). When I reverted back to IE10, everything returned to normal (and FF25 is my DEFAULT browser). But I'm also not ruling on some kind of interference with a FF25 add-on. My "Safe Web" and "Login Assistant" tabs have never worked in FF*, but do work on IE10. So something isn't right (but that has never bothered me because I never use them). I kind of feel like RWAP. Norton and FF always seem to have issues or at least more issues than with IE. I don't know!?! What I need works now, so I'll keep riding this pony 'till it doesn't. Thanks again for you help.

In response to yank:

On install #3, I ran NRT, but installed from Norton Management (I know, DUH). Last install, I ran NRT and installed from n360s_20. That worked fine. It even found my Product Key and everything. Haven't had a local vault since 2012. Kind of wish they had both, but it is what it is. Thanks again for your help.

Kudos0

Hi again, fizicsfred. I AM running IE11, and apart from a couple of idiosyncrasies it's running fine. I still use Firefox as my main browser, and accept that there will always be a few problems for Norton in that they're dealing with open source software, and that can be a minefield. Also another user here reminded us all that IE 11 is not too long out of beta, and will still have a few bugs to be ironed out.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I've got the same behavior on my PC.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Firefox 25.0.1, and NIS 21.1.0.18. When I initially open Firefox, assuming the Norton Internet Safe is already unlocked, I can click on the "Vault is Open" button and get to the NIS. After a short period of time, clicking on the "Vault is Open" button does nothing. The vault is still filling in passwords but I cannot access is from within Firefox. I also get messages asking me to choose which login to us from NIS but it stop showing the choices of logins and thus I can only use the one that NIS chooses.

I've done the Live Update for NIS and it is up to date. Firefox says it is up to date. Any ideas?

Kudos1 Stats

I don't regard this problem is in any way solved. Going back to an earlier version of NIS or 360 is a workaround, but the original problem remains, and is a real nuisance. I would like the owner of the topic to unmark it from solved status.

Kudos0

timecheck00 wrote:

I don't regard this problem is in any way solved. Going back to an earlier version of NIS or 360 is a workaround, but the original problem remains, and is a real nuisance. I would like the owner of the topic to unmark it from solved status.

Hi timecheck00,

If you do not agree with the original poster, then start a thread of your own and you can control when it is marked as solved.

The original poster strted this thread remianed active throughout this thread and was satisfied with the answer that they marked as the solution.  If you do not agree that's fine - but, it would be more rspectful to the original poster for you to start a thrad of your own, than to ask the "owner of the topic" (your words) to unmark the solution.  In reality, th OP is the owner of the thread - it is OK to have more than one thread with the same topic being discussed.  I would even suggest you might refernece this thread and state that you do not agree with the solution - but please do it in your own new thread!

Thanks for understanding! 

Kudos1 Stats

No disrespect to original poster intended. I assumed open problems got the attention of Norton support, and a closed problem dropped it from their radar, so wanted OP to leave it open for the benefit of others with the problem. A multiplicity of threads on the same problem makes it difficult for users to find all the relevant comments, but each forum has its own conventions and I will abide by  yours.

Kudos0

No disrespect taken.

The reason for marking the problem solved was because the immediate problem, not being able to get the "Vault Closed" tab to open, was actually solved. IMHO, the issues with compatibility between N360 and Firefox will be forever ongoing. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse. As for grabbing the attention of Norton Support ... unless you are in possession of a large quantity of explosives, getting "their" attention seems random at best. And after my "wonderful" experience with their chat support, that avenue of support is a great way to kill an hour or so, but little more. The ONLY help you can reliably expect to get is from the wonderful people who monitor this site to help their fellow computer brethren. They ARE your ONLY hope!

Interesting sidebar of information ... My 2 other computers that did NOT have this issue have NEVER updated to v21. My laptop (Win7-32, IE11, FF25.01) has never updated to v21 even though I bit the bullet and updated to IE11. My HTPC (Win7-64, IE11 FF25.01) has never updated to v21 either. BOTH are set to automatically install a newer version of N360 but as of today, neither has. They are fully up to date with all software and ALL their tabs on the Norton toolbar in FF work. The "Safe Web" and "Login Asst" tabs on my desktop are working on a random schedule ... somedays yes and others no, but the "Vault Closed" tab always works. So, that is why my "problem" is "solved". The functional issues between FF and N360, well that's a continuing saga ...

Kudos0

Thanks for the further information.  I'm on Win XP, so have NIS instead of N360, but the version level is exactly the same as N360, so I assume that the underlying code in the problem area is exactly the same. I'm a recent convert to Norton from ZoneAlarm, and had a somewhat difficult installation experience. Virus protection is critical to me, and identity safe is just a useful feature, so my solution will be to reboot to get identity safe open again, rather than suffer thru the NRT and reinstall again.

I do have my software - browsers, etc. on automatic  maintenance, and keep everything is current. One factoid I've noticed, is that once the vault gets into its closed condition, that is something set within NIS. Switching to a different browser does not get it working again.

NIS 21.1.0.18

FF 25.0.0

Chrome 31.0.1650.57

Kudos0

@ fizicsfred,

Thanks for the kind words:

"The ONLY help you can reliably expect to get is from the wonderful people who monitor this site to help their fellow computer brethren. They ARE your ONLY hope!"

Just so others know, if our user name is not  Bold Red, we are not Norton employees, but users, the same as you who volunteer our time to assist other users.  Someone thanking us, is the only pay (so to speak) we receive, and believe me it is appreciated. So thanks for the kind words.

In regards to your comment:

"Interesting sidebar of information ... My 2 other computers that did NOT have this issue have NEVER updated to v21. My laptop (Win7-32, IE11, FF25.01) has never updated to v21 even though I bit the bullet and updated to IE11. My HTPC (Win7-64, IE11 FF25.01) has never updated to v21 either. BOTH are set to automatically install a newer version of N360 but as of today, neither has."

From Help:

"The Automatic Download of New Version option automatically downloads the latest available version of Norton Internet Security. You can update to the latest version of your product without any additional cost, as long as your product has an active status.

When Automatic Download of New Version is turned on, and if an update is available, Norton Internet Security automatically downloads the update. Your computer must be connected to the Internet. Update availability may vary, depending on your product, version, and layout.

If you choose to install the latest version of the product, you retain your current subscription and Norton-specific settings. The newer product version installs over your current product with the same product key.

If you do not want to get product upgrade alerts, you can turn off this option. You can also use the Don't show this message again option in the alert. Symantec recommends that you install the latest product version to ensure that you have the latest product features and protection against security threats."

Is it possible you elected not to see the message?

@ timecheck00 who stated:

"One factoid I've noticed, is that once the vault gets into its closed condition, that is something set within NIS. Switching to a different browser does not get it working again."

Good observation, ID Safe is part of the NIS and N 360 user interface.  So if it is closed in the program - it is closed, regardless of the browser used.  But if it is open - then it is opened when you switch browsers. 

Kudos0

Without turning this into a Japanese bowathon, I really do appreciate all the time people like yourself put into these community sites. Thanks to Google (I can't believe I even typed that) and the abundance of community sites, enthusiasts can steer there way through the minefield of computer related issues.

Update on my laptop (HPPavilion dv6768se, Turion 64 X2, 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, Win7, FF25.01, IE11, N360 v20) which would NEVER update to v21 ...

"If you do not want to get product upgrade alerts, you can turn off this option."

I have this option turned on.

You can also use the Don't show this message again option in the alert.

As far as I can remember, I never choose this option.

Symantec recommends that you install the latest product version to ensure that you have the latest product features and protection against security threats."

Well ... I have every option I can find set to allow a version update and have ran Automatic Updates consistently since I 1st had this issue and it has NEVER offered to update to version21.

Finally today I went to my account page on the Norton site and clicked the "Check for Updated Versions" block and it ended up installing a complete update of N360 to v21 (even had to re-activate it). So far, it seems to be working well. So if I can find replacements for all my gadgets that IE11 takes away, I may actually "upgrade" my desktop to IE11 and N360 v21.

With respect to timecheck00's problem ...

But if it is open - then it is opened when you switch browsers.

This does seem to be true with all the updated versions. But it is not true for N360v20 and Chrome. I can have the Vault open in FF25.01 and when I open IE10, it is still open. But this doesn't seem to work with Chrome31.1. It will be closed until I open it IN Chrome. Obviously, updating N360 to v21 could clear that up.

Again, yank, thanks for all the help.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Kudos0

I have no idea why the Check for updated versions worked in your Norton Account and yet, New Version Check from Suppotr did not work??

Hopefully you got it all sorted out.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.