• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Identity safe with Firefox 41/42

I run Norton 360 premier/Windows 7. The Norton toolbar/identity safe are not working with Firefox 41/42. Norton toolbar is disabled an CANNOT be activated as suggested in the support pages. The Firefox add-on window just says "incompatible with firefox". How can I get this working again or is there a updated Norton toolbar/IdSafe coming real soon? Or do I have to go back to Firefox 40? Actually I have to open IdSafe outside of the browser or on my smartphone and manually copy logins and passwords. Thanks for helping.

Reto

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Identity safe with Firefox 41/42

For what it's worth, I have this problem and have been told by Norton that, due to some change in FF, and other issues, that they are having to do a serious code revision to the Norton tool bar and to expect a solution to be released between 10/15 and 10/31, unquote. I have gone to Chrome, which I don't really like and back to 40.0.3 FF on another machine.

Kudos1 Stats

It is unacceptable of Norton that , A. they have not replied to this problem for over three weeks, and B, That they have not resolved the problem. This shakes my long term admiration of this product. What solution or explanation can Norton give us?? Yes, I live update three times a day.

Kudos0

I agree. Norton is usually all over any changes that need to be made when a new FF is released.Usually, a patch is available that day or the next. I was likewise astounded at that answer from their support folks.

Kudos0

Hello All of You

Apparently, none of you have seen the Announcements which have been posted before Firefox 41 was released. Here is a KB article with some information. There is also a Blog Announcement with more details. Due to the changes FF has made and due to other issues, Symantec decided with a heavy heart that they had to do a complete rebuild of the Toolbar. This is a major undertaking and will take some time and will result that you can't use the Norton Toolbar with FF41. The first part of the Toolbar should be done around the end of Oct. This is only part of the Toolbar.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115161915_EndUserProfile_en_us

Sorry you haven't seen the Announcements and sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

And FF 42 would still be in beta, which would not be supported anyway.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Too bad no other alternative browser BASED ON Mozilla Firefox which would also support the current Norton Toolbar.  As for Google Chrome, a similar browser, much like Google Chrome and based on Chrome, which you may like better, is SlimJet Browser.  Norton ID Safe and Norton Security Toolbar will work in SlimJet.

Kudos0

g_cafe_c:

Too bad no other alternative browser BASED ON Mozilla Firefox which would also support the current Norton Toolbar.  As for Google Chrome, a similar browser, much like Google Chrome and based on Chrome, which you may like better, is SlimJet Browser.  Norton ID Safe and Norton Security Toolbar will work in SlimJet.

g_café_c - I am not familiar with SlimJet, but must ask if you are referring to the Stand Alone Identity Safe product or the Identity Safe and NTB available as part of a full blown retail version of Norton?  I know SlimJet is not listed as supported browser for either product.

Kudos0

That's what I said in my original post, vis a vis code overhaul. For now, I can weather using Chrome on my web development 'mule', but have rolled FF back to 40.0.3 in several of my other machines for now. And no, I did not see the advance warning from Norton, but I will certainly look for Norton's Announcements. I'm not sure where that is but will look for it...

Regards,
DD

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

Here is one Announcement in this link which is listed in the Announcements right above the listing of the different Threads in this Forum. There is also a Blog about this issue by Symantec Employee Athena.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-41-and-norton-toolbar-compatibility

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/firefox-41-and-norton-toolbar-compatibility

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

I don't have a problem with waiting to upgrade Firefox as I need the vault.  However, I do have a problem with constant messages and disturbances telling me to upgrade.  FF needs to give us an option to ignore them because I have been switching to Chrome just to get rid of the aggravation.

Kudos1 Stats

You could try going into the Firefox settings - Advanced - Updates. Try changing the update settings to Never Check for Updates. This may stop the constant update messages.

Kudos1 Stats

If you want to stay with Firefox, a alternate is Firefox ESR and the Norton Toolbar still works. It is primary for companies that want to control what they use. It gets the security updates to FF but not all the new features.

The easy way to install it is to use the Custom install and install in its own folder. I just add ESR behind the displayed default folder. It will use the same profile as your current FF installation so bookmarks and add-ons will be there.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/ 

Jim

Kudos0

Thanks.  I didn't even think about that option since mine was set to not install without asking, but they have to ask and ask and ask.  Let you know in a few days if that stops it.

Kudos0

Maybe you're not aware, but you can disable the Firefox "upgrade" notifications.  In the menu, click on 'Options', then 'Advanced', and finally the 'Update' tab.  Under 'Firefox updates', change the selection to "Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk)".  Just remember, once Symantec had released the new version of the ID Safe toolbar, change the Firefox option back to "Automatic".  See below PDF "image" for screenshot.

File Attachment: 
Kudos1 Stats

It would be nice if Symantec would extend the subscription for the time this feature has had an outage. It's the primary reason I renew each year and it will eat 1 of the 12 months or 8.3% of my subscription through no real fault of my own other than keeping my system secure with regular updates.

Kudos1 Stats

I am certain I'm not the only one thinking this, although I might end up being the only one stepping up to voice an opinion of your comment.  To be completely honest, your comment, as well as your suggestion, is seriously on the "flawed" side (and that's putting it kindly).  The purpose of Symantec's Norton products is NOT the ID Safe...the PRIMARY function is, always has been, and always will be, its anti-virus, which is not affected in any way by Mozilla's change in programming.  If your primary '"purpose" for having a Norton product is for the ID Safe, there are plenty of free, as well as better, solutions.  Maybe you should check into those options.  On the other hand, if your primary purpose for having Norton software installed on your computer(s) is for security/protection, then quit whining about your 1-month's loss, as well as wanting an 8.3% refund.

Of course, you could just do what most others (including myself) have done - downgrade your Firefox browser to v40.0.3, which has no problem working with ID Safe.  You don't solve a problem by trying to create another problem...you solve the problem by coming up with a solution, be it permanent (which Symantec is working on), or temporary (such as downgrading Firefox, as all the knowledgeable people have done.  Put another way...a simple solution to an even simpler problem.

Kudos0

Hello Panther

Once the new Toolbar for Firefox is released and fully functional, I would suggest that you change the updating from never to tell me when there is an update and let me decide when to update. I suggest this because there is or has been always a slight delay when Mozilla releases an update and when the Norton Toolbar update gets released. We have always recommended to install the patch for the toolbar before you update Firefox.

I don't know yet if this recommendation will change when the new Toolbar is released and is fully functional.

Thanks

Kudos0

Agreed, and true.  Typically, installing the Norton updates before installing the Firefox updates is exactly what I've done, although, at the same time, the typical turn-around time for previous Norton updates has been two days, or less (almost always one day maximum), after the Firefox update is released.  The update that Mozilla made this time around is so severe that, as mentioned by others, Symantec has to rewrite the plug-in from scratch, thus the reason it's taking so much longer (something some others can't seem to understand, which is why they are constantly complaining).

The other problem...and, apparently, something a lot of other people didn't seem to be aware of...is the fact that, in one of the other recent Firefox updates (not sure if it was v39 or 40, as I never read the changelogs that closely), Mozilla changed the default setting from "Check, but let me choose" to "Automatic".  Obviously, changing the setting is a simple enough thing to do, but there are still those who don't understand this incredibly simple task.  I've been custom-building computers for people (mostly gamers, but I've done systems for others, including home-based stock brokers needing to run as many as 8 monitors, simultaneously), and one thing I've always tried to do is pre-set settings so as to make it simpler for them, based on their needs.  For some, that means "Automatic updates", and for others, it means "Check, but let me choose".

Kudos0

They have released an Identity Safe add-on without Vault.  They say they will add a patch for vault.  HOWEVER... this add-on "cannot be verified for use with Firefox" and is non-functional with FF 42.

Kudos0

Hello dattig

This patch HAS not been verified YET with Firefox but Norton is working with Mozilla to get the patch verified. Look for Krusty 13's post where he has posted his change of settings in Browser History and he got the Toolbar to be visible. He has pictures of the settings that he has. The Toolbar has partial functionality since this is not the completed Toolbar. Please also read the Announcement on top of this page and also this.

Please see this KB article

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115161915_EndUserProfile_en_us

Thanks.

Kudos0

The reason I suggested changing the setting to "Never update", instead of "Let me decide", has to do with the annoying pop-up people would receive on a daily basis (actually, multiple times each day).  If someone is intelligent enough to change the setting in the first place, as simple as it is to do, then, once the Norton Toolbar is ready (and, obviously, I'm not rferring to the just-released "half-baked", semi-functional toolbar), they can simply change the setting back to "Automatic", or, if they so choose, "Let me decide".  Essentially, I'm suggesting setting it for "Never update" ONLY during these times of incompatibility (ie. major Firefox updates)...the rest of the time, either "Automatic" or "Let me decide" would be the optimal choice.

Kudos0

The Patch was applied, and now I can no longer use The Vault with Firefox 40.0.3!

Kudos1 Stats

I had the same thing happen and couldn't find a way to get the vault to work again. Fortunately I use Acronis to back up my system and went back a little and reinstalled everything to a time my whole system was stable, so I still have the Vault. Will not make the mistake of updating either Firefox or Norton until it's all straightened out.
Kudos1 Stats

Geek 1:  Peter Norton must be spinning in his grave.

Geek 2:  But, he's not dead!

Geek 1:  Yeah, well THIS will kill him!

:-)     :-)     :-)     :-)     

This is a damn fiasco!

I just had to do a System Restore to before Norton's latest "Live Update" 2015.5.6.76, just to get ID Safe Functionality back.

I'd previously downgraded from Firefox 41 back to 40 just to keep the Vault/ID Safe working properly.

From what I've gleaned online, many people have done that and many more won't upgrade Firefox (yet).

Would it have been too much trouble for Norton to WARN people that allowing this latest "Live Update" Toolbar Extension in Firefox would stop ID Safe from working EVEN, I repeat, EVEN in Firefox 40?  I mean, damn it, that's the whole point of not upgrading FF.

Maybe I need to shout this:

WOULD IT HAVE BEEN TOO MUCH DAMN TROUBLE TO WARN PEOPLE??!!!!???

I've been using Norton stuff since the days of the actual Peter Norton and his "Norton Utilities for DOS."

Remember NDOS?        :-)

I'm usually extremely loyal, but even my patience has its limits!  I've got about three months to go on my subscription and right now I'm, as possibly many others are, considering not renewing.  I don't need all this extra trouble/work!

And, don't even get me started on my passwords in/on the Cloud, but that's an issue for another time and another day.

I sincerely apologize if my rant here is in the wrong place, its most uncharacteristic of me.

Kudos0

Yeah, it sucks. What I did was to switch to Chrome and imported my Bookmarks from Firefox. The Vault works fine in Chrome, but does not work at all in Microsoft Edge.

Good Luck

Kudos0

Maybe they did see the announcement and the company's communication that the problem would be fixed by late October. (I certainly did.) Maybe they want to express to Symantec how serious this problem is to them. (I certainly do.) Maybe they just want to vent in frustration. Maybe they expect Norton to correct the problem in the same time frame the past led them to expect. Maybe they expected more for the increase in cost. Et cetera. 

Kudos2 Stats

I would propose that we who have used Norton since DOS days DID see the announcements, which amounted to an admission that Norton had been using an unstable product t code the toolbar, and that Mozilla had stopped supporting said unstable code, and Norton was going to do a rewrite.  What happened NEXT?  We got a toolbar and an announcement that it worked on 41/42 (not true) and that a patch would soon be sent.  No ETA.

The people writing these announcement have clearly not tried the product.  It is NON-FUNCTIONAL as is.  I am tired of apologies and tired of wrestling with the toolbar.  Ill give it another week while I research alternatives to Norton.

Kudos2 Stats

To those lauding Chrome and suggesting it in Firefox stead, you clearly have been lucky enough not to run afoul of some of Chrome's issues. I have several sites that I use, to include my banking site and online timesheet site, that will not work correctly with Chrome. They do however work flawlessly with FF, but of course Norton ID Safe is not working with FF. So many of us are stuck in a spot between a working browser and non working ID safe, or a working ID safe but a non working browser.

And P.S. to the Norton folks, although the patch yesterday indicates that the Norton Toolbar/ID safe is active on FF now, the ID safe is not. The search toolbar and such is working again, but ID safe still doesn't work with FF. (42.0)

Kudos1 Stats

I am so frustrated after waiting a month to get for the fix for Norton Identity Safe, the patch that was applied does make the Norton Toolbar with the vault showing. What is going on and how to I make the valut show up?

Kudos0

askforhelp: I am so frustrated after waiting a month to get for the fix for Norton Identity Safe, the patch that was applied does make the Norton Toolbar with the vault showing. What is going on and how to I make the valut show up?

Please review > Firefox 41 and 42 Limited Support for Norton Toolbar 

Kudos3 Stats

To floplot, peterweb and all the other Norton guru fanboys - I have used Norton products for many years now and have for the most part been happy with them. This episode with the toolbar and Firefox is inexcusable. Ok so they had to do a major code rewrite - so what? Get to it!  As a consumer this, I think, will have a major effect upon whether or not people continue to use Norton product or recommend them to their friends. I certainly will not be doing either. Why continue to defend them? A promised fix was supposed to arrive by the end of October and here we are almost halfway through November with nothing to show for it.

Sorry Norton, time to say goodbye.

Kudos3 Stats

The_Cutter

The update announcements have always said that the Identity Safe would not be available in the first phase that was to be released around the end of October. They always noted that ID Safe would be included in a later update at an unannounced time.

I understand the frustration, as I too have to move to IE if I need to use the ID Safe for a site I do not remember the password for.

What I do not understand is users here making comments like the only reason they use Norton Security products is for the password management. I, personally use Norton Security for the security of my system against malware attacks. The password manager is an add on, albeit a well used one.

Kudos3 Stats

I think that a great deal (if not all) of the anger resulting from this issue is not so much that the Identity Safe is not currently functional with these releases of Firefox but rather the inept way Norton has handled the problem.  Firefox announced (last August I believe) that the interface technology Norton was using was antiquated, problematical from a security perspective (if true, shame on you Norton!) and being dropped by Mozilla.  That Norton should be caught flatfooted (as they appear to have been) with a now non-functional add-on is not what I would expect from a vendor whom I count on to provide what they advertise, no exceptions--you claim it, you provide it.  Does Norton feel they can just ignore the announcements of vendors with whom their products interact?  Did Norton truly miss the fact Firefox was changing in a way that would cause this much trouble?  Why are they floundering with multi-phase patches instead of being ready on day 1?  Why did they package the first part of the patch in such a way that even those of us who were delaying a Firefox upgrade got bitten, losing the Safe in an older release where it was working fine?  Were they assuming that their customer base would be perceptive enough, technically-minded enough to Google the patch before applying it (since the patch itself provided no warning)? 

I also have to wonder about the internal design of the product; is the interface to the browser so entangled that the popups quit working, the interface to the password database breaks, etc., resulting in problems that require a much more extensive rewrite than if things were better structured?  Modularity can be your friend...

The one bright spot for me in all this has been that the stability of Firefox has improved greatly--I am no longer experiencing the 3-4 crashes I could count on daily if I were doing a lot of browsing.  Whether that stability will remain when the Identity Safe returns (some of my crashes occurred when I tried using it) remains to be seen.

Kudos0

deleted.

Kudos0

The ancient Chinese curse supposedly says "May you live in interesting times."  I can't find any references to the following (may not be doing the right search) but this morning when I installed the November Windows 10 update on my wife's laptop, Microsoft in effect chose to make the Identity Safe issue moot by declaring Norton 360 incompatible with Windows 10 and uninstalled it completely.  I had no problems downloading and reinstalling N360 but since it had been working on Win10 build 10240 I'm not sure why MS went off into the blue...  YMMV

Kudos1 Stats

I am just wondering how many people are going to leave Norton when their subscription expires....as I will. This is nothing short of a rip off. I bought the Norton Internet Security Suite just for the toolbar and have been without it for several months. All the promises and stupid comments by people that it would be done by the end of September...then October...and here it is almost the end of November and still we are without a product we paid way too much money for.

Someone needs to sue their company so we can get something back for this fraud.

Kudos2 Stats

MikeMurray describes the situation accurately.  I agree that Norton appears to have seriously underestimated the implications of their mismanagement, apparently seeing this as a conflict between a peripheral utility (Identity Safe) and a non-mainstream browser (e.i., not IE).  Thus the "we will fix it when we get to it" attitude.

I am an online teacher and spend a good part of every day using teaching software (Blackboard).  My experience and that of my colleagues is that Blackboard runs perfectly on Firefox, but has problems with IE and Chrome (at least).  Like most users, I have upwards of 100 passwords stored in Identity Safe, routinely using maybe 20 of them.  There are other password management programs out there, but none as satisfactory as Identity Safe (was).

Faced with the reality of casual support for Identity Safe, I see the need to evaluate my options.  (After some 20 years with Norton.)

Kudos0

You can't understand it? There are dozens of internet security programs out there. Some are free. The Identify Safe is great for some that use their computers to manage multiple logons for work as well as personal issues. The Norton ID manager is about the best out there. That is why we buy Norton. If you can't understand that, well, so be it. But you have been schooled so don't say you don't understand. Say that isn't you personal problem.

Kudos1 Stats

Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus plugins along with NIS has kept me safe and secure while preventing Adware from choking my computer. For almost 2 months I've been having to use Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus but WITHOUT NIS. Fortuneately, I have maintained my 300+ passwords in Sourceforge's free Password Safe program so that I can get by without NIS. Since NIS is more secure and more convenient, I'd really appreciate it if Norton would hurry up and fix this NIS/Firefox compatibility issue!!!!!!!

Kudos0

Hello gusgilbert

If you are not using NIS now, I do hope you have some security program so that you are secure. There are some users using Firefox, and Last Pass-free edition and the toolbar with limited functionality. I haven't heard anything about your password manager.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Looks like LastPass 3.0 free edition is better than my present Sourceforge Password Safe. For $12, the Premium Lastpass 3.0 looks to be a perfect replacement for NIS. PC Magazine gave LastPass an "Editors Choice" rating and so that I'll have to give it a try.

Kudos0

The only problem there is LastPass was just hacked this June. User's passwords are encrypted, so they didn't get access to those, but they obtained user account info and obtained some master passwords on compromised accounts. I used to use LastPass as well for mobile use, but I abandoned it to go solely with NIS after the hack attack, since NIS can be used with a local installation only. I don't trust the cloud anymore with all of these hack attacks, but now my local option isn't working either, thanks to Norton dropping the ball.

I paid for a working product, and one of my major reasons for sticking with Norton when I renewed in September, was NIS. The fact that it still isn't working 2+ months later, and it was a major reason for my purchase, is not acceptable and is likely going to make me look elsewhere next year for my internet security needs. I may even pursue a refund now, and go find another suite. We've all been more than patient, and 2+ months later, that patience has worn very thin.

Kudos0

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Ghostryderflyby:

I don't trust the cloud anymore with all of these hack attacks, but now my local option isn't working either, thanks to Norton dropping the ball.

As long as you have had a local vault at some time it is possible to regain it if you have been converted to the online vault. Check the information gathered by user elsewhere in this thread.   https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Kudos0

Still waiting.  As mentioned in another post, Chrome isn't the solution- one of my banking websites has trouble with Chrome on it's sign in page- incorrect placement of sign-in boxes.

Again, wonder if Norton has just one programmer working part time to re-code Identity Safe for FF, or are they just giving us a boatload of bull.

So many dissatisfied customers isn't good for future Norton business.

Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

Over the past month or so, there have been at least three patches downloaded for NIS (last one today).  I understand that the first of these patches eliminated the Identity Safe functionality for earlier versions of Firefox, thus eliminating one possible workaround.  Does anyone know what the other patches were for?  Were they further modifications to the Norton toolbar?  Or did they pertain to other parts of NIS?

Kudos0

jboland1:

Over the past month or so, there have been at least three patches downloaded for NIS (last one today).  I understand that the first of these patches eliminated the Identity Safe functionality for earlier versions of Firefox, thus eliminating one possible workaround.  Does anyone know what the other patches were for?  Were they further modifications to the Norton toolbar?  Or did they pertain to other parts of NIS?

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-2255-product-update-available-now 

Kudos0

Agreed!

In Chrome, for example, the fill-in utility insists on wiping out the titles of any item I am editing in Blackboard (and I maintain at least five per semester and spend several hours a day updating them). I have to re-enter the titles every time. The little 'undo' option does not work in Chrome. If I turn off the fill-in utility, it won't work on the login screen where I actually need it. 

The Identity Safe apparently can't differentiate between the student information system and Blackboard. These are two, separate systems that have the same ID/PW but different URLs; the Identity Safe login is inexplicably not working for either one. If I try to change the password in one, it tells me there is a duplicate. Yes, one sometimes has to use the same ID/PW on different systems at work because their authentication only recognizes the one ID/PW. 

I had a chat session with a Norton support person and a follow up call, but both problems are still not solved. Several weeks later 

The Identity Safe often pops up behind other application windows and won't come to the foreground. The pop-up menus often disappear up the top of the screen. So it seems Norton is not really compatible with Windows 10, despite the robotic droning claims by Norton tech support personnel. 

Kudos0

Kim Troboy: The pop-up menus often disappear up the top of the screen. So it seems Norton is not really compatible with Windows 10, despite the robotic droning claims by Norton tech support personnel. 

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6446381

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.