• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe Times Out (NIS2012)

I have set Identity Safe to time out after 15 minutes of inactivity, but it seems to be after 15 minutes of the last click on Identity Safe. I have been browsing web sites and checking emails and when I go to use it again, I have to log in again??

Also, is there a central place for the Auto-Fill Exclusions, as I can not seem to find what I have excluded...

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Thanks,

Terry

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe Times Out (NIS2012)

I have set Identity Safe to time out after 15 minutes of inactivity, but it seems to be after 15 minutes of the last click on Identity Safe. I have been browsing web sites and checking emails and when I go to use it again, I have to log in again??

Also, is there a central place for the Auto-Fill Exclusions, as I can not seem to find what I have excluded...

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Thanks,

Terry

Kudos0

Hi,

Answer for your second question, is there a central place for AutoFill-Exclusion list?

No, in 2012 products we dont have a seperate Autofill Exclusion UI.

For all the webpages which we ignored using "Ignore this page" link under "Identity Safe" ToolBar -> "Options" you can see a "Stop Ignoring this Page" option.

Kudos0

Can you include a central ui for exclusions (like nis11) in the next release? Found that feature useful.
Norton Internet Security 2012, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9Please support my ideas to have an offline/online help system similiar to Microsoft Office help or Windows help for Norton products.
Kudos0

Thanks for your feedback.

Kudos0

Hi,

1.If you set "automatically logout of identitysafe if computer is inactive" , after logut time if you want to continue with identitysafe you have to login to idenitysafe again. 

2.We have integrated same feature(autofill exclusion) with toolbar to have user friendly experience. If you migrate the 2011autofill exclusion list to 2012, it will be integrated with toolbar. 

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

The problem with the Logout though is that the computer was not inactive, I was using it viewing clips on the BBC website.  These were only 4 or 5 minutes long, so the mouse would have been used a lot inside the 15 minute window to browse to other clips.  Also, my screensaver is set to 5 minutes and this never got activated either!

With regards to the Autofill Exclusion, I had a website that Auto Filled incorrectly and noticed in here that you can click on the Report this Site button, but I had already clicked the ignore this page and can not now remember which site it was to now report it.

Kudos0

It has just done it again.  I logged into here at 11:53, and submitted my first reply at 12:10.  I was going to do an image the first time, so changed programs at 12:08 to create the image but then thought why, so cancelled it.  It is now 12:23 and it has just turned identity safe off.  It looks like if you stay browsing (IE9 32 bit) and do not click on any other programs, identity safe does not recognise any activity.  I had just clicked on another link and while the post was displaying, the icon changed on identity safe.

Kudos0

Hi,

1.Do you mean to say identitysafe is logged out even the computer is active?

2.Regarding autofill issue, If you visit the same page which you have selected the option "ignore this page" you can uncheck the option by selecting the stop ignoring the page in same place.

3. Can you provide the webisie name which identity safe autofilled incorrectly

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi,

1.Do you mean to say identitysafe is logged out even the computer is active?

As said above, yes.  If I only use IE or Firefox for browsing, it times out.  It's a pain in the backside...

2.Regarding autofill issue, If you visit the same page which you have selected the option "ignore this page" you can uncheck the option by selecting the stop ignoring the page in same place.

I have seen this option, but I can not remember the site to turn it back on, which is why I was asking if there was an area where all the web sites that have been ignored, can be viewed, to be able to report it

3. Can you provide the webisie name which identity safe autofilled incorrectly

As said above, I can not remember the website. 

Thanks,

Senthil

I have provided comments in Blue above

Kudos0

Hi Terrytubby,

Issue1: We will check it from ourside 

Issue2: The option is available only if you visit the page where auto fill happened incorrectly and we don't have that option in anyother place to uncheck.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Thanks for that.

I will try to find the website with the issue, but it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Terry

Kudos0

Just wondering if you had managed to replicate the issue?

Terry

Kudos0

Hi Terry,

Sorry for the late reply I could not reproduce the issue. Its working as expected.

My suggestion is.

1. Take backup of your data using export data option in identitysafe 

2. Delete your profile using delete option in idenitysafe

3, Create new idenitity safe profile 

4. Import your data which you have taken backup  using options in identitysafe

5. Check the behavior

Please let me know your result

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Still the same issue!  I will try deleting my profile again and not reload all my logins, only changing the logout after 15 minutes setting and see what happens

Terry

Kudos0

I have done the above and a complete re-install and I'm still having the same issues?

Kudos0

Hi Terry,

Last week we released a patch http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/MINOR-PRODUCT-UPDATE-19-1-1-3-for-Norton-Internet-Security-2012/td-p/541342

Could you please run live update repeatedly until its shows "Your Norton Product has the latest protection updates" and check the behavior.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

I already have this and it is still the same

Kudos0

Hi Senthil,

I am seeing exactly the same problem as the OP. I have ID Safe set to log out after 15 minutes of inactivity. That whole 15 minutes I was using the computer but not doing anything which would excercise ID Safe, yet after 16 minutes I had to log back into ID Safe.

And Yes I am fully up to date with 19.1.1.3.

EDIT: It is important to note that if you so much as click on Identity Safe from the browser toolbar (such as to check if it has logged out...) it will reset the clock and you won't see the problem.

Please let me know what data you need collected.

Thanks and best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Hi Senthil,

I am curious if you were able to reproduce this now?

Thanks very much.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Hi Terry / Allen,

Thanks for trying  multiple options,  We are able to reproduce the issue from our side.

We are tracking it from our side.

Thanks  for your patience.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?????

Is a resolution to the issue, near?

Best Regards, Terry

Kudos0

Terrytubby wrote:

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?????

Is a resolution to the issue, near?

Best Regards, Terry

HI Terry,

Senthil has confirmed that Symantec has reproduced the problem. This means they have opened a defect on this issue. As to timeframes for a fix I cannot say but it has only been a few days. It does take time and Symantec is also working on a few other issues.

Hang in there. I'll let you know if I hear anything in the meantime.

Best wishes.

Allen

Kudos0

I upgraded NIS 2011 to 2012 in December with no problems. In the past, I've had the Indentity Safe set to automatically log out after 15 minutes of inactivity on my computer. Always worked just great. As long as I was doing anything on the computer, it remained logged in. If the computer was idle for 15 minutes, then I'd need to log back in to use Identity Safe.

After I upgraded, I found that the Safe never logged out. I went into Settings and set it for 15 minutes of inactivity. But now it seems to log out after 15 minutes whether I'm active or not. It is possible that it will stay logged in if I'm active in my web browser (I actually don't think so but haven't tested that specifically), but I know for sure that just being active on the computer doesn't prevent it from logging off.

This is really annoying. Is there some reason it is working this way? Anyone else experiencing this?

Kudos0

I just discovered another thread on this same topic that concludes with Symantec being able to reproduce the problem and saying that it is on a list to correct. Hopefully that will happen before too long.

Kudos0

Hi Tiehman,

Another user faced the same issue  and we are tracking this issue with a defect.

You can find more information here http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Identity-Safe-Times-Out-NIS2012/td-p/529920/page/2

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Tiehman,

Another user faced the same issue  and we are tracking this issue with a defect.

You can find more information here http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Identity-Safe-Times-Out-NIS2012/td-p/529920/page/2

Thanks,

Senthil

Hi Senthil,

Your link is trying to link to a specific page of the thread which may not work depending on how the user profile is configured. So here's a non-page specific link.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Identity-Safe-Times-Out-NIS2012/m-p/529920/highlight/true#M170827

Do you know if this problem has been resolved? If so will a fix be in the next major update?

Thanks very much

Allen

Kudos0

FWIW I never experienced tlehman issue where

IS never logged out.

Oh well - C'est la vie

JMHO but it's a great security feature to have the choices of

"Never", "Every 15 Sec" and "When sleeping".

I do find it frustrating to constantly login but in a corp setting it would be

important to have IS automatically logoff when away from desk or inactive,

PCI and other compliance issues will like that..

"If you lived here you'd be home by now."Firesign Theatre, 1969 "How can you be anywhere when you're nowhere at all??
Kudos0

I don't understand your comment. There is an option to have to login in every session or every time you want to autofill a login. There is also the option to have it log off after a period of inactivity for those of us who don't work in your environment. We'd just like it to work as specified (and as it has worked in the past).

(And I used to listen to Firesign theater all the time!)

Kudos0

Sorry tiehman,

I did say I'm frustrated at having to login all the time. In too many words I am just agreeing with you.

Yes - it should perform as designed and as configured. I thought it was some new

annoying design "feature" like all the popups in IE8.

Just coming from a compliance POV, constant logout may be good thing. If you use your home

computer for work purposes (Cloud, VPN, Citrix etc) it may be best that IS logs off frequently,

I have an open issue with IS not auto-filling.  More and more of the sites I use for

mission critical applications do not auto-fill. Not to go into details but IS does not

(by design) work with Flash login front-ends.

I am told to wait for the next major release Q1 this year and some of my issues should be solved. NIS 2012 wasn't it.

"If you lived here you'd be home by now."Firesign Theatre, 1969 "How can you be anywhere when you're nowhere at all??
Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Tiehman,

Thanks,

Senthil

Senthil,

I did note after I'd posted my original message that there were a couple of threads that I'd missed covering the same topic. Having said that, the thread you are referencing ended with you saying that Nortons had reproduced the problem and was working on a fix. You posted that message on October 3, 2011. It is now January 20, 2012, a full three and half months later. Is the problem going to be fixed or are we just kidding ourselves. I have to re-enter my password now multiple times an hour and I'm really getting tired of doing that. Considering it was a feature that worked in 2011, it's pretty discouraging to upgrade only to find a previous feature now broken.

So my question is can Nortons tell when they are going to fix this problem? This is just nonsense. Each year after upgrade, it seems we have to go through several months before the product actually works as advertised. That is just unreasonable. Eventually we'll all thrown in the towel and choose another product.

Kudos0

Many months ago there were numerous posts including mine about the problem with Identity Safe logging itself out even though the computer was not idle. I was redirected to thread that Norton acknowledged and reproduced the problem and was working on it. That thread starts in like October. It is now April and at least my NIS Identity Safe still operates incorrectly. It is really annoying and worked perfectly in NIS 2011. As we cross more than a half year since Norton said it was working on a fix, I'm wondering why it has not been fixed so that it works as it is supposed to.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Identity-Safe-Times-Out-NIS2012/td-p/529920/page/3

Kudos0

Should I assume that Norton does not intend to fix this?Kind of hard to believe, but here it is the middle of April.

If there was a fix, it isn't working for me so I'd like to know about it.

Tom

Kudos0

Hi Tlehman,

Sorry for keep you waiting long time. Now the behavior is, when Identity safe(instead of Computer) is inactive for 15mins, it will be logged out automatically.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Since the release of NIS 2012, the Identity Safe log out function has not worked properly. That is, mine is set for 15 minutes of inactivity and I have been having to re-enter my password frequently even if I've been active the whole time. I was told it was going to be finally fixed in an upcoming update (told this a couple of weeks ago).

I noted the announcement of the standalone identity safe option including my iphone and ipad apps. To make the work, i converted to the cloud based vault.

Ever since, Identity Safe never logs out, just the opposite problem I've been having. The setting remains log out after 15 minutes of inactivity, but it doesn't seem to work. I just returned from being gone for several hours and when I fired up Firefox and found Identity Safe was still live.

Any suggestions?

Kudos0

I converted to the online vault in order to take advantage of apps for my mobile devices.

I note that after a reboot I was required to login into first my online vault and then provide the local Identity Safe password. WIll this always be a two-step process? I was assuming the local one would link through to the online vault. 

Kudos0

Reading more on this board, I see references to having the vault open versus filling in logins or forms. So does that mean that even if I close my browser or log out of Identity Safe, the vault and all my passwords is still open and available? This is potentially a big deal for my laptop. On the one hand I like the idea that my passwords are not actually on the laptop, but now to have to remember to log out of not only IS but also the vault gives me pause. Am I understanding this incorrectly or missing another consideration?

Kudos0

Hi,

Like the local vault you will be prompted for password only once i.e the vault password and you will not have to login twice. Also, your local vault will cannot be synced/linked to your online vault automatically. You have to export the data from Online vault and import it to local vault or vice versa. Logging to your online vault will be only step and am not sure in what you mean by saying "and then provide the local Identity Safe password".

When you logout of your browser or whenever you resume from sleep, you will be prompted to login to the vault again and your passwords will not be open unless you login again.

Let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

prasanna_a wrote:

Hi,

Like the local vault you will be prompted for password only once i.e the vault password and you will not have to login twice. Also, your local vault will cannot be synced/linked to your online vault automatically. You have to export the data from Online vault and import it to local vault or vice versa. Logging to your online vault will be only step and am not sure in what you mean by saying "and then provide the local Identity Safe password".

When you logout of your browser or whenever you resume from sleep, you will be prompted to login to the vault again and your passwords will not be open unless you login again.

Let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Prasanna

Well now I'm really confused. When I implemented the online vault, the message I got was that my local Identity Safe was being "moved" online. I've been assuming that I no longer have a local Identify Safe. And I was assuming that the login prompt for a web login was the equivalent to what I'd always done when logging into the local safe. That password is the same as it had been. My vault password remains the same as my Norton's account always has been.

My experience is that once I'm really logged out of everything, that I am prompted for these two different logins - the online account and then the same type of Identity Safe login that I had before I moved to the cloud. Is that not the way it is supposed to work?

If that is indeed correct, I'm confused then about time out specs. My Identity Safe was set to time out after 15 minutes of inactivity. That worked perfectly in NIS 2011 but has never worked correctly in NIS 2012. One had to repeatedly re-enter the Identity Safe login after 15 minutes even if there was no period of inactivity. I was told recently that this would be fixed in a soon to be released update for 2012.

After moving to the online vault, I have the opposite problem. Now my Identity Safe never logs out despite being set for 15 minutes. I've left the computer on overnight and find in the morning Identity Safe still active.I posted this in another thread but haven't gotten an answer as yet.

So the questions now are:

1. Please confirm that my identity safe now fully resides in the cloud, i.e., I do not have a local copy that is updated. Or set me straight on how it actually works.

2. Since apparently there are now two sets of logins - the online account / vault, and the online Identity Safe itself, please advise on how I achieve the same security that I had in 2011 and was promised for 2012. That is, the Identity Safe is no longer available without re-logging in after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Thanks.

Tom

Kudos0

Anyone have a suggestion on this? It a security issue and I really need to get this to work correctly.

Kudos0

Hi Tlehman,

Due to a recent bug that we fixed, we changed the behavior of when the "15 minutes of idle" would need to take place for Identity Safe to log out. Previously, it was 15 minutes of Computer Idle time. Now, we've changed it to 15 minutes of interacting with the browser/Identity safe. This is much more secure in case you unexpectedly leave a browser open or forget you have it open. 

The issue that you had previously about being logged out even though the computer isn't idle was fixed. However, we also changed the behavior at the same time to have it keep track of the idle time in the browser, and not just the computer as a whole. 

I hope this clears things up for you! If you need further clarification, please let us know!

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Tlehman,

Due to a recent bug that we fixed, we changed the behavior of when the "15 minutes of idle" would need to take place for Identity Safe to log out. Previously, it was 15 minutes of Computer Idle time. Now, we've changed it to 15 minutes of interacting with the browser/Identity safe. This is much more secure in case you unexpectedly leave a browser open or forget you have it open. 

The issue that you had previously about being logged out even though the computer isn't idle was fixed. However, we also changed the behavior at the same time to have it keep track of the idle time in the browser, and not just the computer as a whole. 

I hope this clears things up for you! If you need further clarification, please let us know!

Thanks,

Senthil

Many thanks, Senthil, for your updates and contributions here. Very helpful. My problem now is the opposite of what I used to have happen, that is, now Identity Safe never logs out. This coincides with my move on my laptop of Identity Safe to the online vault. I have not yet converted my desktop to the online vault. As of this moment, I seem to still be having to re-enter the password on the desktop system (local Identity Safe) and never having to re-enter it on my laptop even after leaving it idel for hours.

Kudos0

Hi Tlehman,

We need to check two things here,

After logging into Online vault, First please check the "Password & Security" settings under  Settings -> Identity safe and make sure you have selected " Automatically logout of identity safe if it is inactive for 15 Mins"

Note: If we have local vault and Online vault on the same machine,  We can have different "Password and Security" settings for both local and Online vault.

2. When you keep your machine idle for few hours, Please make sure  you have closed all Identity safe UIs e.g.. Browsers which has Norton Toolbar, NIS mainUI->Settings->Web->Identity safe.

If possible provide the screenshot of your settings in Password and Security.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Hmmm. I posted a screen shot a while back but obviously it didn't make it here. I'm still having the problem. It just never logs out. Now one thing i noted is that my laptop is set to go into standby after about 10 minutes, i think. So when i've reported Identity Safe staying active for hours, all but the first 10 minutes or so is in standby. Would this suspend the timing of IS?

If so, that's kind of a flaw since many people have their computers - especially laptops - set to go into a protected mode within less than 15 minutes.

Kudos0

This post has been moved to its own thread.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.