• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Identity Safe wont open vault, Sept 15 2014

Identity Safe rejected my positively correct password 3x, then started showing the menu where you have to "set up" your vault password with a warning message about how continuing on with this step will delete any current vaults contents.

At the bottom of this box it stated that if you are sure if you have a vault or not to click this link to check.  I got this error on the resulting webweb page that was opened when I clicked the link;

Error Description:
cktfDF6GhmG67ZH0vHpo03qEy4oQTUYtsOQFqPhfbKgwQ4+o1BIA9SkA5bVl5G6JJ6p1dEmLlJnQHZ+Pb2p4rZ+2qO+mdlRB1zVRLoDmVJVrYNAqCWDF6KPK/0V5m8RrkhU5ia8rWJKYFiWF4EzqbQ==

I signed out and then logged back in successfully with my email login and password.  Then it went right to the bit about setting up my vault again.

I have Win7 64b.  all current MS updates, Java, flash and all that malarkey.

I then turned  on the main PC and it has the same results.

I tried the App on the iPad and it worked fine, though I believe it keeps logins and identities locally.  Also that was a pin login.  But it worked.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity Safe wont open vault, Sept 15 2014

me too, happened last night now today same error as you

also login.norton.com had me setup my info for norton...address etc...like it was new

also my error code changes everytime

Kudos0

here was my answer if it helps anyone

chat said its gone you need to make a new one despite the strange way its gone and we didnt delete it

Kudos0

Mine is working normally this morning.  Logged in as if there were never any problem at all.

Kudos0

odd let me reboot again

Kudos0

same after login to norton it wants vault creation

im just going to leave it, must be something going on

esp..if yours works now

Kudos0

DJuan,

That would be my plan.  Maybe they're working on some glitches or server changes.  I know they are updating the forums this week according to their announcement.  So maybe this is an inadvertent hiccup related to their updating plans.  But I waited from midnight last night, tried this morning and all is normal as if there were no problem ever.  logged into the vault normally.

Good luck to you.

If you do get back in to your vault don’t forget to immediately go make a local backup of your files.  I actually found where it was doing automatic archive/exports to a folder in "My Documents" labeled Norton Identity Safe backups.  So if you have that tic'd in your settings you should have all your content in case you do lose it all.

You can find the archive (if logged in) by clicking the gear icon at the bottom of Norton ID Safe (I accessed ID Safe from the sys tray).  Then selecting the second tab from the left labeled Import/Export.  Then do a manual export to your doc's folder or wherever you wish.  Then look to see if the tic mark is in the auto export box at the bottom, your choice there.  I found mine tic'd/selected and found the archive with a current backup present.  But I felt better doing the manual export anyway.

Kudos0

gwnys,

My auto backups (Win 7) are located here on OD Safe which is part of NIS:

C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Identity Safe Backup

If I may make a suggestion, since that auto backup is on my system, I use a external USB drive for a periodic manual backup you suggested and I also do the backups in both .dat and .csv format.

Kudos0

So inside that folder on your hard drive at "C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Identity Safe Backup" you should find a backup of your files if you end up needing them.

I just do the .dat type backup myself.  As long as you plan to use Norton I think that will always work, but I like to be cautious also, so maybe both.

The external hard drive backup (thumb drive also) is a good idea and then you have them if your PC hard drive ever dies suddenly, they will do that.  Also you could then import them onto a new or different PC were you to want to do that.  A thumb drive/memory card works too. 

Just remember that if something does get by all your counter-measures against virus and the like, and it is something nasty that takes down any hard drive it finds until you either fix the bug or wipe the drive(s), then if your backup/external drive is full time connected it may also suffer those nasties that some people feel the need to create and disburse.  Its unlikely unless it is something brand new and Norton has not yet identified and protected you from though.  Doesn't happen often but its always a possibility. 

I keep real important stuff on a drive that doesnt stay connected, and have another connected full-time via eSATA.  Then I keep yet some other stuff on thumb drives, stuff that I use on all the PC's.  But years ago I lost something I had downloaded and never found again, so I havent deleted any downloads since.  I probably have everything I have downloaded since, way back to Windows 95.  I even have does 3.2 and a couple others, back before windows was nothing but a floppy program with word perfect, mine sweeper and solitaire on it.  I guess I have some form of computer file OCD?

Anyway, good luck!

Kudos0

gwnys wrote:

I just do the .dat type backup myself.  As long as you plan to use Norton I think that will always work, but I like to be cautious also, so maybe both.

FWIW, there have been changes in the .dat format of Identity Safe over the past few years.  Just for some history, the ID safe BU started as an .npm format and then went to the option of .csv or .dat with the 2012 products.  There was a change in the .dat format between the version 19 (2012) and the version 20 (2013) .dat formats, which is why if you have to revert to the 2012 products and your backup is from a 2013 or 2014 product, you must use the .csv format for the import to work.

That said all of the info above pertains to the ID Safe function used as part of the GUI for NIS and N 360 and may not have any bearing on the previous versions of the Stand Alone - to the best of my knowledge.

Kudos0

I used to have Norton Internet Security, I think that was it.  Came with one of the new PC's and allowed for 3 units so I kept that for a few years but one year when it came up for renewal I didnt re-up and went for another free service.  But I did download and have continued with the stand alone Nortom Identity Safe.

I'm just going to let the auto export do its thing.  And Ill try to remember to copy the latest backup file over to a thumb drive every now and then in case this issue pops up again and the vault is not recovered.  I have it already backing up all Doc' Folder files a couple times a day but thats to the drive always connected and as I mentioned I do like to have it on something not connected full time, just in case.

Did you ever get logged back in to your Vault?  I think you must have since your seeing those export options in your setting.  My export options tab only shows up avaiable when i'm logged into the vault.  So hope yours is all worked out.

Nice meeting you, and thanks for your take on things and ideas.

Kudos0

wow all of the replies are gone, guess they did a restore overnight

Kudos0

Same problem here.  Anyone have an answer?  Thanks!

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.