• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Identity safe/Norton 360 log-in merry-go-round...NOT

I have had the same issue occur four or five times now, both before and after upgrading to Windows 10.  I have had it fixed by remote tech support going into safe mode, then renaming a particular file twice; once Norton 360 was completely reinstalled.

I go to log in to the identify safe, and I get a prompt to log in to Norton 360 (see attached PDF files).  I do that, but the ID safe doesn't open, I get the same dialogue box telling me to log into to Norton 360 again. It's pretty frustrating.  Is anyone else having the same issue?  Is there any documentation on where/how to change the name of the offending file so that I can stop sitting on hold with tech support?  Is there another work-around? If not, I'll go through user support again and then document here.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identity safe/Norton 360 log-in merry-go-round...NOT

Hi DMH826,

There are reports of other users who have had tech support go into their systems in Safe mode and delete files (and in some cases folders).  These reports vary as to what was deleted and because it is being done by a Norton tech, perhaps can not be released to the public.

Also, everyone's system is different and what works on one may not work on another system.  Sometimes there is also very minor differences between your problem and someone else's that requires just a slightly modified solution.  Norton tests their fixes on many different systems, under many different conditions (as only the engineers on the appropriate team can) in order to make sure the "FIX" will work for as many different users as possible, and at that point in time, release the "fix" - in the form of an update/patch.

I understand your frustration.  I've been there, done that with other long lasting problems and although it is asking a lot, one has to be patient until the "fix" is developed, tested and released.

Kudos0

I am having the same problem on Vista after last Norton update.  Keeps wanting a sign-in over and over again.  They have screwed up the vault as I lost all of my logins couple weeks ago.  And now it may save a login or it may not, no rhyme or reason.....that is if you can actually even login to your vault which apparently cannot until the 'FIX' it.  Very frustrated with Norton at this time!

Kudos0

I'm using Win7 Pro and have had this issue off and on for several weeks. I did find one solution here in the forum that worked ONCE: sign into the vault online at identitysafe.norton.com, then wait an hour or so and try to login via my browser. That worked once...I could then login from the browser. Just tried it again and so far that HAS NOT worked; however I AM able to login to my vault online (may have to login to your Norton account first if you aren't already). It just doesn't autofill sites; I find out what the login info is and manually type it in.

Is Norton working on a fix for this? It is extremely frustrating and time-consuming...certainly not what I'd expect...and I found forum threads about this issue going back MONTHS.

Kudos0

Hello LearningEvangelist

There was a fix that came out for auto-fillin of sites which fixed the issue for some.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-fixes-nisnavn360-225

Can you list some of the sites you are having problems with?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

It wasn't a specific site that was at issue.  It was -- check out the PDF attachments to this thread -- that I literally could not log in to my password vault through any browser.  I would get the two dialogue boxes in the PDF of screen captures over and over.  This time, just rebooting fixed it.  But I never know when it will "strike" again.

I can't remember many of my passwords, so I have taken to keeping an exported copy in Excel available on my PC.  My passwords and log-ins are becoming more and more complex in light of the issues with security breaches of all kinds of financial institutions and commercial sites online, so there's no way to really remember the precise combinations for some of them. But thanks for the suggestion.

Kudos0

Thanks, I can appreciate what you're saying -- it seems perfectly reasonable that different PCs/MACs would have different issues and fixes. What I will say is that the support technician I spoke with seemed to be absolutely unaware of the problem, in spite of (as is said below) that users have been experiencing some version of the issue for quite a while.  It's hard not to come to the conclusion that this is simply not a priority for Norton for whatever reasons, and to consider switching to another security software/password vault.

Kudos0

@NortonFighter: Like the responder above, I don't have an issue with auto fill-in...the online vault just gives you access to your saved sites and user names/passwords with the option to go to them. The link you shared is for an unrelated issue.  The issue I and many others have is with logging into the vault at all, in my case from Internet Explorer 11 on a Win7 Pro machine. Repeatedly when I click on the toolbar button to open my vault, I get the "get started" window to login to my Norton account, and instead of going to the normal vault login I get the "get started" screen again and again despite reboots and all manner of attempted fixes I can find or think of. I found one fix that I noted above, which worked for a few days, and now I'm back to the problem again. Interestingly, I do NOT have this issue on my PC tablet running Win8.1....(at least so far, she says cautiously).  ;-)  I CAN login to the vault from IE on that device, which tells me that at least in my case it appears to be an issue between Norton and Win7.

Would be nice to know if Norton is working on a fix...not sure if it was an update goof on Norton's or Microsoft's side...it's just incredibly annoying and clearly a widespread issue based on the forums I've read. I've used Norton products as long as I've had a PC, and I've never been this disappointed in one of them.

Kudos0

Hello

If you are having the issue of Getting Started window coming back to you all the time, please see this link.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/identity-safe-sign-stuck-get-started-page

If this is your issue, there is a solution for it.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I've just had this issue on my Win10 machine but it seems to of fixed itself somehow.  What I tried:

• Clicked VAULT IS CLOSED as normal and was prompted to sign in to my Norton Account, even though I was already signed in, which only prompted me once again to sign into my Norton Account.
  • Went to http://identitysafe.norton.com/ signed in there OK.  Signed out and tried opening my Vault on my machine, no luck.
  • Tried signing out of my account from the main Norton GUI then back in again, but this did not help.
  • Tried signing out of my account, restarting my computer and signing back in, which didn't help.
  • Went to my Win7 machine and opened my Vault normally [thankfully!].
  • Went back to my Win10 machine and this time I was prompted to open my Vault.

I have raised this issue "upstairs", so hopefully it will be investigated.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks much.  A simple reboot seemed to fix it the last time I had the issue. Apparently "upstairs" is working on it, hopefully it will be fixed.  In the meantime, whenever I add a new log-in or change an existing one, I export a copy of it as csv/xlsx so I'll have access to the passwords easily, without having to go to the norton online vault.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

I've just had this issue on my Win10 machine but it seems to of fixed itself somehow.  What I tried:

• Clicked VAULT IS CLOSED as normal and was prompted to sign in to my Norton Account, even though I was already signed in, which only prompted me once again to sign into my Norton Account.
  • Went to http://identitysafe.norton.com/ signed in there OK.  Signed out and tried opening my Vault on my machine, no luck.
  • Tried signing out of my account from the main Norton GUI then back in again, but this did not help.
  • Tried signing out of my account, restarting my computer and signing back in, which didn't help.
  • Went to my Win7 machine and opened my Vault normally [thankfully!].
  • Went back to my Win10 machine and this time I was prompted to open my Vault.

I have raised this issue "upstairs", so hopefully it will be investigated.

Here I go again, strike 2!  

Symantec, strike 3 and you're out! 

Kudos0

I hesitate to advance this as a solution, but it worked today.  I generally use Chrome as my default browser, simply because when I launch Explorer, I get error messages, and the new browser Edge doesn't seem to support the Norton Toolbar (correct me if I'm wrong).  I got the sign-in request in Google, rebooted and then noticed that Chrome didn't even have the Norton toolbar.  So I went through IE, and was able to log in.  Then when I went back to Chrome, the Norton toolbar was there.  Chrome's support for Norton has been a bit spotty, so maybe that's the issue?  In short, try a different browser and see if that helps.

Kudos0

After a restart it is finally working again... for now.  This is getting old very quickly.

DMH826, that is correct  Edge does not support extensions  -  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-and-microsoft-edge-browser-compatibility

Kudos0

Krusty13:

G'day Krusty!

I don't know about you, but I've noticed what seems to be a correlation - that whenever there's communication issues with the Norton Management website, then the ability to successfully log into an online vault is likely also (at that point) equally compromised ...

BTW, For me anyway, the Norton Management website has been unusually intermittent (and otherwise behaving "overly grumpy") the past few days. During this Management disruption, I too have been encountering the inability to successfully log into my online vault (via the NSwB IDSafe client) ...

IMHO, It's during these times of recurring cloud communications outages that having a functional local vault available to fall back on is absolutely imperative ...

Have you somehow lost your local vault under Win-10?  If so, it can easily be recovered (as I think you are already aware) ...

FWIW, As of today, both functions (Norton Management & Online Vault) seem to be working well (at least they are for me) ...

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

avjohnnie: IMHO, It's during these times of recurring cloud communications outages [..]

John

Wonder whether recurring cloud communication outages may apply to cloud protection.
eg: Total Cloud Protection

Kudos0

One more thing to try:  I right-clicked on the Norton 360 icon at lower right on a Windows PC on the Task Bar (Quick Launch icons?) and chose "Get Support."  Apparently, that runs a utility that may fix any issue there is with the installation of Norton. It's worth a shot. So far the Vault is working today; I logged into it via Firefox, no problem.

Kudos0

bjm_:

Wonder whether recurring cloud communication outages may apply to cloud protection.
eg: Total Cloud Protection

A reasonable and very valid point to bring into question, bjm_,

Perhaps more specifically (for instance,) might these same cloud-sourcing communication issues be the one and the same bedevilment that's the causation (at the root) of the now-widely-reported, and equally intermittent, Web protection Definitions & Hub Wont Update issue?

I doubt we'll ever know...

Cheers!
John

Kudos0

avjohnnie:
Krusty13:

G'day Krusty!

I don't know about you, but I've noticed what seems to be a correlation - that whenever there's communication issues with the Norton Management website, then the ability to successfully log into an online vault is likely also (at that point) equally compromised ...

BTW, For me anyway, the Norton Management website has been unusually intermittent (and otherwise behaving "overly grumpy") the past few days. During this Management disruption, I too have been encountering the inability to successfully log into my online vault (via the NSwB IDSafe client) ...

IMHO, It's during these times of recurring cloud communications outages that having a functional local vault available to fall back on is absolutely imperative ...

FWIW, As of today, both functions (Norton Management & Online Vault) seem to be working well (at least they are for me) ...

Cheers!
John

G'day John,

I'm not sure of the server connection with the Vault and Norton Management site but it does sound feasible to conclude that it could be related.  The only thing though is that it hasn't affected my Win7 machine so far.  My Win7 machine has worked the whole time when this effected my Win10 machine, connected to the same network.

I would also like to hear what Symantec have to say about bjm's post.

Have you somehow lost your local vault under Win-10?  If so, it can easily be recovered (as I think you are already aware) ...

With a fresh installation of Win10 I simply gave up.  I am sick to death of jumping through hoops to achieve what I could do quite easily if my ISP provided NSS.  Of course it would be quite easy, and this issue a non-event for me, if they returned the Local Vault.  Don't get me started down that road. 

I don't have a Local Vault on my Win7 machine now either for the same reason, but to be fair, I haven't had any this issues on my Win7 machine.

Sadly, I think this problem may not be high on Symantec's list of "Hot Issues".

- Dave

Kudos0

Krusty13:

Sadly, I think this problem may not be high on Symantec's list of "Hot Issues".

- Dave

Agreed Dave -

The "little differences" and "select extras" that used to set the Norton/Symantec products apart from, and just a little above, the rest of the crowd of contenders continues to be slowly eroded away, bit by bit - byte by byte. Soon there will be no particular "easily definable" advantage "to point to" for employing Norton's products over any other of the vast multitude of equally-mediocre alternatives...

Sad, but it has become rather evident that, somewhere "deep in the bowels" of Symantec's Corporatedom, a leadership decision was made to adopt a "less is more" persona for their road ahead...

- John

Kudos0

Hello

To get some issues about the vault, Toolbar, browsers fixed, I think some one has to start various threads to break up these issues and get them organized. I did this with the virtual drive and encryption issue and with the Anti-Spam and Office issues after 22.5.0.15 came out. Doing this I think helped to get the issue fixed because it was easier to see how many users were involved  in each issue.

With all the different Toolbar issues, I don't know how to divide them up. But I do think this needs to be done with these topics.

Thanks.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

To get some issues about the vault, Toolbar, browsers fixed, I think some one has to start various threads to break up these issues and get them organized. I did this with the virtual drive and encryption issue and with the Anti-Spam and Office issues after 22.5.0.15 came out. Doing this I think helped to get the issue fixed because it was easier to see how many users were involved  in each issue.

With all the different Toolbar issues, I don't know how to divide them up. But I do think this needs to be done with these topics.

Thanks.

The posts have proliferated beyond my query about the Identity Safe Vault that I initially posed which is clearly experienced by a number of users. I think the reason that other topics are being put forward is that there's been no official word or patch from Norton. In the absence of that, people are sharing their experiences, fixes and hypotheses. So I mentioned browsers simply because it seemed -- completely anecdotal, I have no software engineering expertise at all -- that using a different browser to login to my password vault has fixed the problem. I have no way of knowing whether that's causal or merely a correlation in the absence of Norton offering solid information. And I recognize that at this point, there may not be any definitive word forthcoming, and who knows if there ever will be?

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

Thanks.

Flo,

I think we are all talking about the same issue with the Vault here  -  that at times we are asked to sign in to our account over and over with no way to actually open our Vault.  I don't think there is any need to break this thread apart.

Thanks,
Dave

Kudos0

Bad news -- every one of my hypotheses were wrong/irrelevant. I got locked out of my vault again tonight.  Oh, well.  They were able to fix it very rapidly via remote this time.

Sigh.

Kudos0

Hello DMH826

Did you try restarting your computer?

Please come back and let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

Kudos0

DMH826,

I too have had this problem (endless Getting Started loop while trying to sign in to Identity Safe). A workaround that you might try is to, without rebooting, sign-out of your windows account and back in. Then see if you can get into ID safe.

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello DMH826

Did you try restarting your computer?

Please come back and let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

flopot,

Yes, I did that prior to calling for assistance. I also tried the "get support" option to run a repair, and that found nothing.

Kudos0

kaytesp:

DMH826,

I too have had this problem (endless Getting Started loop while trying to sign in to Identity Safe). A workaround that you might try is to, without rebooting, sign-out of your windows account and back in. Then see if you can get into ID safe.

Sorry to sound dumb, but do you mean sign out of the copy of Norton 360 running on my PC, and then sign back in?  I'll give that a go if it happens again. (Ever the optimist...)

Kudos0

On the windows Start Menu, is there an option to Sign-out? It might also be called Logoff

Kudos0

DMH,

Right click the Windows icon on the Task Bar and you will see Shut down or sign out.

Kudos0

How is that different than a restart of the PC?  That's what I did.

Kudos0

Yes -- but isn't that roughly the same as a restart/reboot?

Kudos0

Hello

When you sign out, it's like you are changing users, but you aren't. You aren't restarting your computer with that. When you restart, you are restarting your computer is restarting.

Thanks

Kudos0

floplot:

Hello

When you sign out, it's like you are changing users, but you aren't. You aren't restarting your computer with that. When you restart, you are restarting your computer is restarting.

Thanks

Ooops.  Will try that.

Kudos0

On my machine I only have one account and the closest to Sign out I see is Lock.

Kudos1 Stats

Krusty13:

On my machine I only have one account and the closest to Sign out I see is Lock.

If you right click on the Windows start button at lower left (or whatever the heck they call it now), a menu should appear that includes Sign out.  Not sure what it does, I haven't tried it yet.  See screen capture attached (I have Windows 10).  Hope this helps.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

OMG, I knew the right click thing, I even mentioned that above but for some reason I didn't see the Sign out option. 

Edit Lock isn't there any more so perhaps Sign out replaced it after the latest Windows Update.

Kudos1 Stats

In Windows-10, either right or left clicking the Account Identifier at the top of the Start Menu will also produce a short context menu with the Sign out option on it...

Cheers!
John

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.