• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Identiy Safe Problem started 3/3/2017

Identity Safe worked fine yesterday, 3/2/2017. Today any page requiring login credentials stays busy for an extended period of time and never presents a list of logins. This happens on Schwab.com and costco.com on Google Chrome. Also why do you not have a label for the identity safe?

[Edit: This Post was moved to correct Board from "Norton Security" and Label "Norton Identity Safe" added by Admin.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Identiy Safe Problem started 3/3/2017

Hello grfried

The choice of Labels is determined according to the Board that you start the thread in. Are you referring to the use of a Local Vault? What operating system and bit are you using?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I haven't been able to log in to the Identity Safe app for Firefox 51.0.1 on Windows 8.1 for 3 days.  After entering my password, the page is stuck on verifying password (see attachment).  I know the password is correct because I can log in to Identity Safe through Norton's program on my computer. 

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I've got Windows 8.1 64 bit and have the same problem - took ages logging into my account and when I opened my vault it only showed the 7 most recently used.  This is the same in Google Chrome and Windows Explorer and it is driving me nuts!  My ISP told me yesterday it was discontinuing their email service so I was in the middle of notifying a new email address to over 150 web sites, so losing my logins is really not improving my mood! 

Kudos0

Yep - Having the same issue myself. Everything worked fine before 3/3/17. I have made no significant changes that I am aware of to my installation since then.

Product: Norton 360 Premier Version 22.9.0.71

Windows Version :    10.0.14393 Build 14393

Firefox Version: 51.0.1

Can anyone confirm this is a new product issue with no current fix before I waste any more time trawling through forums trying to apply workarounds that clearly pre-date my problem. I've tried almost every conceivable combination of logging in and out of norton and identity safe, re-booted numerous times and still the same problem.

To reproduce :

Start PC, launch firefox, click Norton Identity Safe icon in Firefox tool bar, Norton Identity Safe pop up is displayed advising me my vault is locked, click Open Vault, New Firefox tab momentarily displayed advising me I am being logged into my account, this is then replaced with page advising my vault is locked and inviting me to unlock my vault by entering my vault password. I enter my vault password and click open vault. That's when I get the circle of doom advising me my login is being validated and the login process seems to hang.

Kudos0

I had a similar problem to get into Identity Safe using Firefox. Then I opened it using directly a Norton Security program. Finally, I opened my IS finding I lost saved credentials, only three of them left.

Kudos0

Same problem here. Since 3/3/2017 can't log in to IS via icon on Firefox 51.0.1 (32 bit) on desktop PC with Windows 10 (64 bit). It sticks on verifying login. Left it for an hour and it didn't timeout or work. Can log in OK via NS 22.9.0.71. Had no previous problems. I have been wondering why you have to log in seperately on firefox and NS. Either way round I do it (log in first on firefox then NS or the reverse), the second one doesn't know the vault is open. Its been like that for months. This problem from 3/3/2017 is new.

Kudos0

Hello floplot & everyone. 

Windows XP SP3 FF 51.1.01 Identity Safe 2.0.65 Security Bar 2017.9.0.2  Norton 360 22.9.0 71 Android 6.0 Norton  ID Safe 3.7.3.791

Earlier yesterday 3/3/17 everything worked fine. Today 3/4/17 as of 1530 Same Problem As All of You. Opened FF, login hung for Vault.  Task Manager system idle process 82-89. Restarted. Same result. Could log into Identity Safe in SysTray - which had all passwords & able to access password for Google Chrome (which no longer updates nor supports XP) to allow for this post. To make matters worse, Android Identity Safe passwords all gone except for three & failed to synch with PC.   

This seems to be striking almost all (XP, 8.1, 10) Windows versions. Saw that campfullmonte & I running same version Norton 360 with same "circle of doom" problem. This clearly is a Norton issue as it affects synch & access across devices.

MRRW HAYES - deepest sympathies. I was not exactly calm either. 

floplot, any word from Norton on this? Noticed new Norton Family versions rolling out across systems - any impact on Norton Identity Safe function? Just an idea. 

Could everyone who posts please list operating system, Norton Versions clearly so what is being affected can clearly be identified for troubleshooting?

Thanks & Regards to all. 

Update: Just found this posted by Thilak saravanan Symantec Employee in another thread. It would be nice if Norton Idenity Safe not working thread could be comingled with Norton Identity Safe not Syncing thread. A misspelling should not derail the thread content.

"THE FIX IS HAPPENING ON PHASED MANNER" given we just had a fix with the conathst.exe issue with FF & Norton does not fill me with hope regarding Norton, I am sorry to say.

Re: Norton Identity Safe not Syncing

Posted: 02-Mar-2017 | 11:01PMPermalink

Thanks everyone for the patience shown on us.The fix is happening on a phased manner,good to hear that few who reported already is not seeing the issue again.Expected to completely fix this issue in few days from now.

Please have a check whether you could login now / sync issue is not happening,for few who still find issue will be sorted out soon .

Will give a update once its completely done

Kudos0

Update: Just found this posted by Thilak saravanan Symantec Employee in another thread. It would be nice if Norton Idenity Safe not working thread could be comingled with Norton Identity Safe not Syncing thread. A misspelling should not derail the thread content.

"THE FIX IS HAPPENING ON PHASED MANNER" given we just had a fix with the conathst.exe issue with FF & Norton does not fill me with hope regarding Norton, I am sorry to say.

Re: Norton Identity Safe not Syncing

Posted: 02-Mar-2017 | 11:01PM • Permalink

Thanks everyone for the patience shown on us.The fix is happening on a phased manner,good to hear that few who reported already is not seeing the issue again.Expected to completely fix this issue in few days from now.

Please have a check whether you could login now / sync issue is not happening,for few who still find issue will be sorted out soon .

Will give a update once its completely done

This post from Thilak is related to mobile issues. The issues in this thread are for the PC based ID Safe issues. The two do not seem to be related.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello all & peterwebb.

The two are related.

Just chatted with Allen, Norton Chat Support. With his permission I have copied his remarks "Our ID Safe feature is undergoing enhancement. What we can guarantee is that patches on the enhancement will be complete by end of 6th of March. " This was in response to: " Initial Question/Comment: Norton Identity Safe - not synching from Windows XP to Android, not allowing login on Firefox" To the degree failure to synch precipitated the loss of all but three passwords on Android from PC. A PC which had the ID Safe problem. Unless the gentleman did not understand my question. I will be happy to provide the chat reference # if that would help. ID safe problems - given they synch across devices - are directly related. 

Additionally, something is tying up my resources per task manager. That constant attempt to login to the vault - neverending - may be the culprit.

Please tell me how I am mistaken.

Kudos0

Well my ID safe is working again. I doubt it was anything I did but here's some of what I did between it not working and then working again.

Tried it on another machine (laptop) with pretty much the same set up as my tower machine(above) with regard to versions of Firefox, windows and Norton 360. It all worked, suggesting it was something to do with my tower environment.

Decided to log out of everything (again) on the troublesome machine, I disabled and then uninstalled the Identity Safe Firefox extension from within Firefox.

Reboot.

Re-installed Firefox Identity Safe extension using all the standard default dialogues for installing the extension. I had previously had Norton Safe Search turned off. Logged into my Norton account and then opened my vault and bingo - all worked fine. I was worried I would lose all my saved credentials but no, everything was fine. I continued using it without re-boot or firefox restart all day before closing everything down. Just powered up this morning and it's all still working. Finally I can get on with some real work :-) 

I'm not sure how the product interacts with Symantec servers, if at all, so it's conceivable it was a problem with them and sheer co-incidence that it started working again in between my efforts to resolve the problem.

Anyone else up and running?

Kudos1 Stats

This is ridiculous. You are losing the trust of even the die hards now.

You promised us a fix, and now that fix is broken. Try talking to someone?

System:  Estimated wait time is 0 hours 0 minutes 13 seconds

System:  For assistance with any LifeLock ® Identity Theft Protection services, please visit www.lifelock.com, or call 1-855-993-1976

System:  We are currently experiencing high volume of contacts and therefore having higher queue times. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

System:  Estimated wait time is 0 hours 1 minutes 19 seconds

System:  Thank you for your patience. Your chat is very important to us but we are currently experiencing higher than expected wait times. Please stay online.

System:  Thank you for your patience. Your chat is very important to us but we are currently experiencing higher than expected wait times. Please stay online.

It's been eleven minutes now, if this was not in India, I would drive round there and punch someone in the throat.

(P.S. I know someone asked for "OS version, NIS version" etc., but trust me, that don't mean diddly squit 'cause this is someone wiping a database and no one wanting to admit which idiot did it ;) )

Kudos0

I'm not sure how the product interacts with Symantec servers, if at all, so it's conceivable it was a problem with them and sheer co-incidence that it started working again in between my efforts to resolve the problem.

The FF extension uses a cloud vault, so you are interacting with Norton Servers for the vault access.

Kudos0

I tried 'campfullmonte's solution on my win10 laptop and tower, both with FF 51.0.1 and NS 22.9.0.71 with absolutely no result. I still can't log in from the Norton ID Safe add-on to Firefox. It definitely seems to be a problem with the add-on accessing the Norton servers using moz-extension://<35 character code>/content/ui/vault-unlock.html. If the target wasn't there you'd expect an error message or timeout, unless they forgot to put the error trap routines in the add-on.

Kudos0

With Firefox (Chrome works) not able to log into ID Safe.  Using Norton Security suite and Windows 10.  It did previously work.  With screw-ups like this - this is the reason I dislike cloud vaults without a local backup!

Kudos0

PaulGo. You can set Identity Safe to do automatic local backups as a .dat file, and do manual backups as .dat or .csv.  From the Norton security product dashboard double click Identity, open vault, get help screen ('?' at bottom) or open settings and select 'Import/Export.

Kudos0

Success! I just restarted FF and logged onto ID Safe. It works. Thanks Norton for working over the weekend to fix this.
Kudos0

You're lucky NA4DAD. I just tried still didn't work. Uninstalled and re-installed the NIS plug-in stll no joy. Probably UK is on the back of the queue again.

Kudos0

It's working now in Firefox.  The local vault backup is nice but if you can't open the vault because the verification is on line and can't be accessed it still is not useful.

Kudos1 Stats

PaulGo

You may be referring to the old Local Vault. As long as you have had a local vault at some time it is possible to regain it if you have been converted to the online vault. Check the information gathered by user elsewhere in this thread.   https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

Or are you referring to having some kind of offline cache that will work in the event the servers are having trouble.

Both scenarios have been put to Norton for a long time now. But they do not seem to hear us.

Kudos0

Because I have Comcast Norton Security Suite I have a hybrid vault that works with of without Internet connection for IE and Chrome.  (Although on my laptop i occasionally get bugged by Norton to sign on to my cloud vault, but as soon as I click on it it disappears.)   I just wish the Firefox online vault had this flexibility.   I did verify that when I update the Chrome Norton vault it does also update the Firefox cloud vault. 

Kudos0

The Identity Safe vault Firefox app is now working for me.  Thank you Norton's programmers for fixing the problem.  So much more convenient to use this rather than having to look up each log in.  I've got over 150 and use several of them each day.  Now, if only it would work on all log in pages that I use.  I report problems as I find them.

Kudos0

I think IS is working again....fingers crossed.

Kudos0

Not working for me, when attempting to synch under latest 64-bit version of FF it tries logging onto moz-extension://29449af2-5f7e-43f0-b4ae-360240c73a56/content/ui/vault-unlock.html and goes into the endless rolling hoop.  This pretty much hoses up any attempt to use my local vault since when it tries to autofill it wants to synch up again before proceeding, the venerable Catch-22.  I'm trying to see what happens if I force a resynch under a different browser; anyone have any suggestions about how to force a resynch on demand?

Kudos0

Hello MikeMurray

Are you referring to a mobile device?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Nope, Lenovo Win10 desktop PC, 64-bit; browser is latest version of Firefox 51.0.1 (64 bit version).  Virtually anything I try to sign onto that requires an ID/password causes the popup to sign onto online IDSafe which then goes nowhere.  I can get into my local vault OK but this means I have to look up the entry for any site I can't remember the password for...and not remembering those passwords is why I use IDSafe in the first place.

Kudos0

I'm not sure if what I tried last is significant or not but I won't rule anything out.  I run Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon  with Firefox 51.0.1 and wondered what might happen if I tried disabling just those two.  Unless someone at Norton changed something since my last post these addons may be part of the problem I had; on my last attempt to resynch it succeeded and ID Safe seems to be working normally now.  If I start to experience the problem again I'll try the same trick to see what happens.

Kudos0

I also use AdBlock with FF 51.0.1.  Without making any changes to my settings, Identity Safe started working earlier in the day.  It definitely takes longer to log in to IS than it use to, but it is working for me now.

Kudos0

Thanks for the update, @MikeMurray & @svseashells. Please let us know if you encounter this issue again.

Sunil_GA | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

I was mistaken. Android must synch with the cloud, which IS a separate issue from PC. Android began working yesterday 3/5/17 & restored ALL logins. One of those little things one learns, and apparently everyone else must know which is why I received no response. Sad civility and courtesy of sharing knowledge of little things may not pervade this community. 

Issue of Firefox vault not functioning remains. One wonders if the chat rep I spoke to was referring to Android or FF, as the login continues to spin ad infinitum. 

Regards to all. 

Kudos0

Hello

The FF issue is a separate issue which I reported to Norton over the weekend.. Today, the proper Team was notified about that issue. There was another fix that has come thru which was supposed to fix the issue of being able to log into the ID Safe using IE 11, and Chrome. That fix is coming thru in a phased in manner. There is no version change. Since it is a phased in manner, it may take a couple of days until all devices get the fix.

Please let us know if you are still having issues using IE11 or Chrome. The FF issue just stated a few days ago.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I went from being unable to synch under FF to success over a period of about 20-30 minutes the evening of my earlier post about AdBlock (shortly before my post).  Can anyone confirm a change on the Norton end that might have caused things to start working again?  I'd like to run an experiment with AdBlock enabled to see if I can recreate the problem but I don't know how to force a resynch; would changing a password or adding a fake login in my local vault accomplish this?

Kudos0

Add me to the long list of people having problems with Identity Safe! Sure hope this is fixed soon! I am using Windows 10 on the latest version of Firefox. I can log in to the safe outside the web browser, but it hangs in Firefox "validating password"--it never times out! Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Firefox extension--no change. Saw a reference to a patch on one of these threads, but when I followed the link there was no file. Is there a patch yet?

Kudos0

Hello

The issue with logging into ID Safe with IE 11 and Chrome was fixed with a fix coming thru to you in a phased in manner over the last few days.

The FF issue started a few days ago and has been reported to Symantec over the weekend. They saw the notice on Monday morning. The concerned team is looking into the matter.

Thanks.

Kudos0

At the risk of exposing myself as a complete idiot, can I say I seem to have resolved the problem I was experiencing, or at least managed to function near normal again.  Until reading this thread I had not realised there was an off-line vault on my PC.  Because the issue arose while I was in the midst of changing my email address it seemed that IS was only loading up passwords that I had used since I registered my new email address.  A search via the settings page found that there were several off line vaults and there was one with my old email address from shortly before the problem started.  I imported this and while I now seem to have a large number of duplicates and those that use ab email address as my log in name seem to have reverted to the old email address, this is at least something I can live with and tidy up as I go along.  Whether the vault is now synchronising on line or not I have no idea, but as I can now access all my passwords again it's all tickity boo! Just to recap, Windows 8.1 using Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Kudos0

To be honest Mike, I wouldn't bother experimenting with AD Block Plus. I also had/have this installed within Firefox. I made no changes to it during my difficulties. IS was working fine, stopped working, then started working again. As I said earlier I don't think any of the time I wasted trying to resolve  the issue made any difference. Given some of the responses on this thread I am even more convinced it is a Symantec problem that only they can resolve. I just wish they'd state this clearly.

Kudos1 Stats

I'd like to run an experiment with AdBlock enabled to see if I can recreate the problem but I don't know how to force a resynch;

As long as you can log into your vault, click on the ID Safe icon and you will see a Sync option offered.

Kudos0

Yeah I'm in UK using Firefox, my id safe hasn't worked since Saturday
Kudos0

Same here, Azara50 - I tried to report it at the end of last week (Friday) - Unfortunately the online chat kept messing up as well all weekend, resulting in my post (above) in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Apparently Floplot thinks this only started over the weekend, as they said "the FF issue is unrelated", but mine broke last Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Are you by any chance using the 64 bit FF?

Oh crap, whilst typing this, FF has auto updated to 51.0.1 so maybe this will break it completely fix it

EDITED: Still broken ¦¬(

FF 50.1.0 51.0.1 (64 bit) : Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Kudos0

Well FF just updated to 52.0 for me (64 bit, Win 10). The vault was broken and still is. No connection to it.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/mozilla-firefox-52-beefs-security-183241140.html

Kudos0

Running Windows 10 with Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.  Same issues here since early March 2017.  Chatted with support and was told that the engineers are working on the Identity Safe issue which is ongoing according to them.  No word yet on a fix.  Just tried fully updating Nortons this evening with the same issues still.  Fully uninstalling and reinstalling then running only the first update to apply Patch works for now.  Have auto update turned off.

Kudos0

I just found I can log in to the vault via the Firefox ID Safe icon. If this is a permanent fix of the server problem, then congratulations to the team, good work.

Five days without autofill logins.

Kudos0

Hello all,

Win XP SP3 FF 51.0.1 Identity Safe 2.0.65 Security Bar 2017.9.0.2 Norton 360 Premier 22.9.0.71

My problems with the Identity Safe & Synch have resolved. As of 3/7/17 I was able to successfully login to Identity Safe on FF. Synch automatic, complete. FF now updated to 52.0 ESR update channel consistent with the XP trajectory.  No change in function of Identity Safe. As floplot stated apparently "phased" fix was accomplished. I am grateful to the Norton Team, especially Sunil GA  for their assistance.

Used but then uninstalled AdBlock Plus far earlier than this date. As did others, found it to be troublesome. Same with https everywhere BTW.

MRRW HAYES - An idiot does not admit a need for assistance & does not seek help. Obviously that leaves you & the rest of us out of that category. Just sayin'.

Regards & best wishes.

Kudos0

Hello

There were 2 fixes released in 1 week. They were both Server issues. One affected only FF users and was just released last night. The fist one was released a few days earlier.

Hello D Piper Sr

I will let Sunil know that you are still having issues. He will get in touch with you.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I'm on a desktop having the issues. My son in law has the same Norton's on his laptop running Windows 10 as well with no issues.
Kudos0

peterweb, I'm running ID Safe as part of Norton Internet Security and when I left click on the icon you show in your screenshot I do not get an ID Safe listing; I get a list of the entries in my vault.  There are three dots at the bottom of this display which if left clicked upon yields a submenu that does contain an option to synch.  I did not know this existed so you've pointed me (if a bit indirectly) to the very tool I was looking for.  Many thanks.

Kudos0

Congratulations to the Norton Team ! Identity Safe in FF was fixed yesterday for almost 24 hrs!

This morning it is broken again ... broken even more than it was before it was "fixed" yesterday!

"Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again."

After two hours and several tens of attempts, guess what? It's still broken.

NIS employee "that will only have taken two years to fix, so that will be well within an acceptable time frame."

(If you are a bit thick, that last sentence is me being VERY sarcastic)

Kudos0

MikeMurray:

peterweb, I'm running ID Safe as part of Norton Internet Security and when I left click on the icon you show in your screenshot I do not get an ID Safe listing; I get a list of the entries in my vault.  There are three dots at the bottom of this display which if left clicked upon yields a submenu that does contain an option to synch.  I did not know this existed so you've pointed me (if a bit indirectly) to the very tool I was looking for.  Many thanks.

Sorry. I did not mean to mislead you. The way I described was for an earlier version of the new FF extension. Glad you found it anyway.

Kudos0

peterweb, with as many flavors of ID Safe floating around out there I did not feel in the least that I had been misled; you pointed me in a direction I would not have thought to try (they sure have this option buried in an obscure place but then why should that surprise me?) and it wasn't hard to find it once I dug a bit.  As for where things stand now my sync still works, though maybe a minuscule bit slower; FF support overall is still the tangled mess we waited months for and the toolbar still doesn't seem to integrate seamlessly with what happens when you go to an actual website that requires a password.  There are still a number of websites that do odd things for logging in that ID Safe can't handle (not sure if that is a FF thing or just bad site design) and the innumerable slots that pop up on various websites that want you to sign up for newsletters that ID Safe insists on asking you to fill if you don't have autofill turned on (glad I don't, I have no interest in the majority of these newsletters).

Kudos0

Does Norton have a fix for Internet Explorer or Google Chrome yet? My browsers and NIS still freeze up if I update Norton with the latest updates. Have to uninstall completely and reinstall with only the first update that applies the patch. No further updating or else everything goes haywire.
Kudos0

You Forgot My Login Name Symantec:

Congratulations to the Norton Team ! Identity Safe in FF was fixed yesterday for almost 24 hrs!

This morning it is broken again ... broken even more than it was before it was "fixed" yesterday!

"Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again."

After two hours and several tens of attempts, guess what? It's still broken.

NIS employee "that will only have taken two years to fix, so that will be well within an acceptable time frame."

(If you are a bit thick, that last sentence is me being VERY sarcastic)

What version of FF. Mine was updated to FF 52.0 last night but I don't have an online vault so I can't test it.

Maybe FF broke it?

Jim  

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.