• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

IE and Vista ends January 2016, so I need Norton 360 to work with Firefox

I understand that from 16 January 2016 I will not be able to use Internet Explorer (I use the compatible version 9 now) as my operating system is Vista.

So I will need another Internet Browser.

I used to use Firefox until last month when I realised that Norton 360 was not compatible - I'd been exposed for c 2 months!! AND Norton had not let me know!

So what should I do? I gather Norton is still not fully compatible with Firefox 41 and 42.

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: IE and Vista ends January 2016, so I need Norton 360 to work with Firefox

Hello JudyPal

Well, Jan. 16, 2016 is more than 2 months away. I should hope that the new Toolbar for Firefox should be done by then. When it is completed, there will be a notice on top of this Board and in the Blog Announcements. You can subscribe to them so that you will get an email when there is a new announcement and then you can check it out. Phase 1 is completed and they are now working on phase 2 which is mostly the ID Safe if you use that feature. You will have to check out what version Firefox will be on by that time.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

Kudos0

JudyPal:

I understand that from 16 January 2016 I will not be able to use Internet Explorer (I use the compatible version 9 now) as my operating system is Vista.

Hi JudyPal:

Microsoft's Internet Explorer Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ states that "Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates, as shown in the table below:

Windows Desktop Operating Systems    Internet Explorer Version
Windows Vista SP2                                     Internet Explorer 9
Windows 7 SP1                                           Internet Explorer 11
Windows 8.1 Update                                   Internet Explorer 11"

If I understand that FAQ correctly, all that means is that Vista users must have upgraded to IE9 (the latest available version for that OS) by 12-Jan-2016 in order to continue receiving security updates.  Similarly, Win 7 and Win 8.x users must ensure they have upgraded to IE11 by that date to continue receiving support for their IE browser.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

Kudos0

All this is very bad, but the fault is Microsoft's for not supporting its users of Windows Vista & 7, and Google's fault for not supporting Vista & 7.  No blame deserved on Symantec for that.

Kudos1 Stats

g_cafe_c:

All this is very bad, but the fault is Microsoft's for not supporting its users of Windows Vista & 7....

Hi g_cafe_c:

Microsoft will continue to support IE for Vista SP2 after January 12, 2016 - they are only asking that Vista users who are still using out-of-date versions like IE7 and IE8 to upgrade to IE9 (the latest compatible version already installed on the majority of Vista machines) in order to continue receiving security updates and support for their browser.

If you are a Win 7/Win8.x user and still running IE8, IE9 or IE10, all you have to do is upgrade to IE11 before that deadline in order to continue receiving security updates.

If you are referring to support for the actual operating systems, the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet shows that extended support for these OSs (which includes security updates) for Vista SP2 and Win 7 SP1 will not end until April 11, 2017 and January 14, 2020, respectively.  Mainstream support for these older OSs has ended but that only means that they will no longer receive major product design and feature changes.  The chart in the MS support article Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ shows the difference between mainstream and extended support.

I use an older version of NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11.  Symantec has ended mainstream support for this product, which means I do not receive feature updates and will no longer have a Norton Toolbar extension in my Firefox browser, but I continue to receive the same virus definition, intrusion prevention (IP), and security updates as v22.x users via Automatic LiveUpdates as part of Symantec's extended support for older products.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0

Kudos0

Floplot That is very helpful, thank you. I do hope so.

It will also be needed because IE 9 will not be compatible with the Microsoft Online that I need to use for work.

Kudos0

Hello Judy Pal

IE 9 will still be supported for Vista Sp 2. It's all the earlier IE versions which will not be supported by Microsoft, but if you want to switch to Firefox, you are welcome to do that also.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.