• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

Live Update Errors 8920 And 208

Hi. This problem has appeared since 3 or 4 days ago. It's very strange.

When I click on Live Update and it downloads and installs the updates, it shows an error message with the codes 8920 and 208.

This only happens to Web Protection Definitions. They always fail to install.

When I click on Get Support, it runs an auto fix; but it can not solve the problem.

At last, it shows an (Open Support Website) button; and when I click on that, it only opens a blank page.

Let me mention that, my OS is Windows 10 Redstone 4 X86 and my Norton Security version is 22.14.2.13.

I've attached 4 screenshots of the problem. Please check them and fix this critical problem.

Thank you.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Live Update Errors 8920 And 208

Have you restarted your computer recently? If you use Windows10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Yes, I did. And also my Fast Start is Enabled.

Well, that must NOT affect Norton's performance.

There was no problem until 3 or 4 days ago with my Fast Start ENABLED. It just started since 3 or 4 days ago.

Why everything was OK until that time? I think the problem is from Norton's recent updates!!! They should fix this problem. It's critical.

Please inform them to fix this if you have close connection with the Employees.

Thank you.

Kudos1 Stats

Just to confirm you have Restarted your computer and not just shut down and startup again. With Fast Startup enabled, you would not be getting the full shutdown needed to complete updates to software such as Norton. Although the announcements for Norton updates say no restart required for the updates on Win 10 systems, sometimes a restart does sort out problems. Sometimes there can even be Windows updates waiting for a restart that can affect the operation of other software.

Kudos1 Stats

I restarted my computer SEVERAL TIMES and finally the problem solved; BUT I still think it's from Norton's side.

There was no problem until 3 or 4 days ago; EVEN when a Norton update required restart. The updates would be installed successfully!

And let me mention that my Windows Update is disabled completely and it has no updates waiting for installation.

So, please inform Symantec employees to fix this problem. I'm waiting for a response here.

Thank you.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Here is a Norton KB article for the error message you are seeing.  https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v57189259_End...

It appears to be caused by temporary server issues. Nothing wrong with your product.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.