• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Logging in to new Firefox extension Sept2016

Several users have suggested that the thread about Norton ID and Firefox extension has become too long and contains too many separate issues. So I am starting this thread lets see if it proves useful

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Logging in to new Firefox extension Sept2016

I have a problem with sites showing a duplicate, identical login.  I have created my vault by replacing an existing, outdated vault with a backup created by another password manager I have been using for the past few months.

Kudos0

dforrest:

I have a problem with sites showing a duplicate, identical login.  I have created my vault by replacing an existing, outdated vault with a backup created by another password manager I have been using for the past few months.

This could be part of the problem you are seeing? Do you have a backup from your Norton ID Safe? If you are using an online vault, you should have backups in your Documents folder. In your Documents folder, look for Norton Identity Safe Backups. In there look for your email address. In there will be your backups from your online vault. Choose one you had before you tried the import from the other password manager. Then import that one into your current online vault. Choose the replace option, not merge. Then close everything down and log out of your Norton Account by clicking on your email at the top of your main Norton product. Restart your computer and then test the FF extension again.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I do not have a vault backup before I recently re-started using ID Safe with the new toolbar.  It was "lost" while I was trying to make use it.  I only have a backup from the password manager I was using before the new toolbar was released.  It is this I used to create the ID safe vault when I stated to use the new toolbar.

Kudos0

See if you can open the backup from the other password manager to see if there is any duplication there.

Also log into your ID Safe at   https://identitysafe.norton.com  See if there is duplication there.

If there is no duplication there, do a backup of your current Norton ID Safe. Then try the import from the other password manager again. Be sure you choose replace and not merge.

Let us know.

Kudos0

dforrest, You say your backup copy was 'lost' - do you mean you physically deleted the folder ? - if so it may still be in Recycle Bin. Has Norton recreated this folder in your Documents folder. Norton appears to do a backup every 24 hours providing you have the Vault logged in, needs not to in idle for this to happen.

Kudos0

I have backups from my previous password manager and there are no duplications of passwords entries in these.

I do not have a backup as It was before this ID Safe issue started last year.  I accidentally corrupted this.

An CSV export from the first ID Safe toolbar does not show duplications of passwords entries.

Duplications of passwords entries do not show in the password listing showing in the first ID Safe toolbar.

As I said before, my problem is that I have duplicate, identical, entries on web pages requiring passwords, with the second ID Safe toolbar (as below).

I have now imported a backup again as suggested, choosing to  replace the old one, and I now have three identical entries showing on web pages.

Kudos0

A further comment from me.

It appears to me that, although I am instructing that the the backup being restored, replace the existing toolbar, this is not fully happening.

The old ID Safe toolbar is correctly doing this seeing and is reporting only the single ID Safe entry.

However the new ID Safe toolbar is seeing both the old entries (two of them now) and the new entry.  Hence, three entries show on a web page requiring password entry.

Kudos0

One thing you can try. Click on the ID Safe icon in FF, with the vault already open, click on Sync Vault.

And is there any duplication if you log into the web site    https://identitysafe.norton.com

Kudos0

peterweb:

One thing you can try. Click on the ID Safe icon in FF, with the vault already open, click on Sync Vault.

And is there any duplication if you log into the web site    https://identitysafe.norton.com

No change when the first suggestion is carried out.

Triplicate entries are in the listing at  https://identitysafe.norton.com

Kudos0

I can resolve the issue of triplicates showing in the new ID Safe toolbar by deleting the additional entries showing in https://identitysafe.norton.com (but surely there must be an easier way).  Is the group developing the toolbar aware of this inconsistency?

Kudos0

Can you post a screenshot of your ID Safe login screen from the IE Toolbar? It still sounds like you may have a local vault there. Which of the two images below do you see when logging in?

As for the duplicate logins in the cloud vault, there were issues in the past where importing vault data caused duplication. When you let us know which login screen your see, I'll offer a way to reset your online vault.

Kudos0

Neither of your examples.  I get:

Kudos0

Now go to your main Norton product screen and click on your email address at the top, and sign out.

Close your vault. Now try to log back in. Are you asked for your email address?

It may come back to the issue of the import not functioning properly.

Kudos0

I get a message that my vault is locked.

Kudos0

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant to sign into the vault from IE's Toolbar. Not the new FF.

But while you are at that FF login, click on Sign out.

Kudos0

peterweb:

I meant to sign into the vault from IE's Toolbar.

I am asked for email address and password but the email address box is already filled out.

Kudos0

That is definitely an online vault.

So what you can try to clear up the vault duplicates (triplicates), is reset the vault. To do this, follow the directions here. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v15610354_ns_...

One clarification. When entering a wrong password, you may have to enter a different wrong password each time.

After following those directions, you will have a new empty online vault. Now do an import from your backups. You should only have the one login per site now when you use the new FF extension.

Kudos0

Further complications Peter.

My login on by the old toolbar or by the main NS windows now says that there is a network problem and a connection cannot be made (red warning box).

Notwithstanding this, I can logon to my vault by the new toolbar and other internet access is no problem.

I have tried several time and will now try again later.

Kudos0

Peter, I have succeed in accessing the Norton server, deleted my old vault and created a new one with an imported a backup.

All is now as it should be with no duplications.

Thank you.

Kudos0

It took a while, but you finally got there.

I'll bring up the issue with the import not working properly.

Kudos0

The new Fire Fox Id Safe works great.

Two problems, I have so far one site would not work after deleting it from the vault and entering again. The next issue is you can not edit the vault from fire fox and it still can be done from other browser using the old format or going to the vault cloud. I used Norton help and they claimed the vault would not work on fire fox. I guess they did not inform the help center. But with several screen shots the finally believed me. It works a little different but with the same result loading user names and passwords for you. It has been a long time and I hope they resolve the few issues going forward.   

Kudos0

SunshineinFlorida

The vault is still a work in progress. The edit feature will come at some later date.

For the one site not working. Do you mean that the logins will not work after recreating the login? Did you recreate the login by just logging into the site with the new extension and letting it save the new login? Or did you create it using the old Toolbar from another browser and then try to use it in the new FF extension? If the second, did you close and reopen the ID Safe extension in FF after creating the login? Or you could have clicked on the ID Safe icon in FF and clicked Sync Vault.

Kudos0

The site that is not working I have tried several options. The new extension on FF will not allow you to add a new log in.   Created new login using the ID safe from the Norton App on my PC and this did not work. I also tried it again from the old ID safe the old toolbar using a different browser. Closed the browsers after changes. 

Your last sentence about clicked Sync Vault. This will happen each time you sign on to vault at a sign on that works with the new extension.

Kudos0

Your last sentence about clicked Sync Vault. This will happen each time you sign on to vault at a sign on that works with the new extension.

That is true, but if you happen to edit or add a login from the old Norton Toolbar while the new FF extension is open, the new login may not get updated in the FF extension until a sync is done. That is one reason for having the manual sync option.

If it is only one site you are having trouble with, you should notify Norton about it so they can address the problem.

You can report the site to the ID Safe team from your product. You will have to do this from the old Norton Toolbar.

Navigate to the login page you are having problems with. Then click on Vault is Open on the Norton Toolbar. Then click on Options beside Current Site. From there click on Report an issue with this site. Then follow the directions.

Kudos0

Thank You for the info. I sent the issue to Norton via your suggestion. I hope they let the support staff know of the new application, as I stated before they had no idea when I contacted about the problem. But I did prove to them there was a new running application for the vault on Fire Fox.

You noted about manual sync of the vault. On the new Fire Fox ID safe the vault gets synced automatically when you use the new application. There is no manual sync on the new application.

Kudos0

You noted about manual sync of the vault. On the new Fire Fox ID safe the vault gets synced automatically when you use the new application. There is no manual sync on the new application.

Yes it does sync automatically when you open the vault with the FF extension. But you can still force a sync if needed by clicking on the ID Safe icon and clicking on Sync Vault. 

Kudos0

Just been updated to Norton Version 22.8.0.50 which installs this particular extension. All the issues mentioned in this thread & elsewhere remain. What is the point.

Kudos0

The FF integration is just one feature of the update. It is  not the focus of the update. I'm trying to get clarification on what is meant by that statement.

Kudos0

peterweb, The original announcement included 'Firefox Integration', this item has now disappeared from the edited version. This means that you had to enable this and install the actual extension so was, & is not 'integrated' to the extent that the toolbar includes the long awaited Vault as IE, old versions of Firefox prior to 39 etc. I  thought, that with the update, this extension would have been automatically included - apparently not - still have to effectively add manually - very  disappointing after best part of 12 months waiting - to check/install go to https://identitysafe.norton.com/client?. I have turned a bit greyer today going thru' this.

Kudos0

Hello

I think long ago it was said that the extension for FF would be a separate thing since I believe that is what is going to happen with Edge and the way Microsoft will make you do with Edge. They had said that it would have to be enabled like the users of Chrome have to do. I don't use FF or the I D Safe, but I think that is what was said. I may be incorrect..

If I am incorrect, who ever wants to post the correct information, just post it please without quoting my wrong info.,

Thanks.                                       

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.