• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Multiple Restore Attempts, Failures, Error A2221, W404, A2230.

This post is on behalf of a client who is running 'Dell DataSafe' which is a rebadged Norton Online Backup service. The client is pulling his hair out, and now we are too. Dell's support on this service is non-existent and so this is a last resort really. As this is a Symantec product (and the Dell DataSafe Help File points to the Symantec site) we are hoping for a resolution here.

Background:

The clients PC has been running the backup client for many months, there are several good backups listed against the computer. We have added a new PC to the backup system and are now attempting to restore files from the originating computer to the newly added computer. We can start a restoration processes okay, and usually get as far as the 'server preparing restore' progress bar. Of course we know not to interrupt this progress bar and after quite some time the restore usually starts.

We have tried this restore process on various platforms (Win7 32, Win 7 64) and have had most success on a Windows XP VM running IE8. We have tried maybe a dozen times to do a restore (often starting with just a few files to test the success rate) and only ONCE have we been able to restore a couple of files. After this success we tried restoring the entire data set but we just get errors. The last error was Restore Failed A2221 bet we've also had W404 and A2230.

Given that we are experienced IT consultants and have experience of several remote backup systems one would have thought we'd have been able to restore data reasonably easily... but we are finding it painfully difficult to do so.

At time of writing we have just started another restore, I look forward to posting the latest error message.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Multiple Restore Attempts, Failures, Error A2221, W404, A2230.

... I would add we are using the web interface for restoration. Reading between the lines am I to assume that a full restore is best achieved with a Norton software product that may have a software client built in...? Is the web interface flaky?

Kudos0

Re: Multiple Restore Attempts, Failures, Error A2221, W404, A2230.

... I just spotted that the message on the web client changed from 'server is preapring files' to an actual restoration progress bar. After about 30 seconds at 0%, the progress bar has disappeared and we get a 'restore failed' balloon in the notification area. The log shows Restore Failed W12002... so an entirely different message.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.