• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

my powerline 500 adapter is switching between ethernet

powerline 500 adapter intermittingly switching from ethernet to wifi for no apparent reason. Product support suggests Norton f/wall settings may be the cause? 

Anyone experienced this problem? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: my powerline 500 adapter is switching between ethernet

Not totally sure I understand what Norton blocking communication with your device would make it act weird.

My experience with powerline networking is that in order for them to work they must have no surge protection (which exposes everything connected to them to surge risk). Also the standardized powerline security protocol is fundamentally flawed and insecure.

Kudos0

You have either ethernet connection or WiFi connection. The switching occurs if the powerline loses connection and you allow WiFi to connect automatically. Try to switch off your WiFi adapter in devices or disallow it to automatically connect in your network connections.

It's not a Norton problem, but a handling or Windows problem.

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hello biscuits Have a look at the following article. There could be an issue with how your adapters are being setup, other appliances on the same circuit, etc. Follow this thread and try some of the things mentioned to see if you can isolate and correct the issue. Please let us know how you made out when done.

https://superuser.com/questions/794744/tp-link-powerline-adapters-randomly-disconnect

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos0

Is your computer set to connect to Wi-Fi automatically? Are you set to auto connect to any Wi-Fi that is in range?

Usually windows doesn't pick one network or the other, it will connect to both, and that will cause you nothing but problems.

Kudos0

switched  WiFi off & that seems to have sorted it out - simple when you know how!!!

thanks everyone for the reponses

Kudos0

Great news biscuits. Please mark the thread as solved so others who may have this issue can see the solution.

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.