• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

N360 Backup

Hi. I have N360 and backup using the online facility provided by Norton.  I have bought plenty of backup space (60gb) but have used it all up. As a result N360 has stopped backing up my computer. I do not want to buy any more space, but instead get rid of half of the photos that is probably taking up the majority of the space.

Is there a way of deleting my online backup and beginning again without photos?

Thank you if anyone can help.

Dan

Replies

Kudos0

Re: N360 Backup

Hi Dan.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

If you go to the backup section of N360 and select the "Preview" button, how large does it say that your backup should be?

Mike
Kudos0

Hi Mike,

Thank you for replying.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I cannot find a preview button.

However, Backup details says Available space: 269.0MB       Total space 52.0GB

Is that what you asked? Thanks again.

Dan

Kudos0

Hello again Dan.

If you look at the pane where you got Available and Total figures and then look at the bottom of the window you should see "Preview; Run Backup; Save Settings; Close".  That was the Preview button I was referring to.  Can you find it now?  If so what size does it say the backup should be, when clicked?

I suspect that the answer will not be a very helpful one but I think we still need to check it.  

To get the issue sorted out it may be helpful to do at least a temporary backup on a local drive.  Do you have any spare external drives that can be temporarily connected to your computer?

Mike
Kudos0

Hi Mike,

I cannot see the preview button.

On the Backup Details page there is a 'Things You Can Do:' section at the bottom. They are Run Backup Now, Restore Files, Buy More Storage, Manage Backup Sets, Turn Off Backup.

Am I on the wrong page?

Thank you.

Dan

Kudos0

Hi Dan.

Sorry about the confusion.  You say you are using N360.  Which version?

I think I am running the latest and that is 22.5.2.15.

Using this version, if I open N360 then click on the box marked "Backup" this brings up four new boxes the third one (from the left) being "Backup Sets".  Click on that.  In the new screen that opens there should be a line roughly in the middle that begins with "Backup Set Name:" and at the bottom should be the four buttons that I referred to above.  If you can find that, please tell us the name that appears after "Backup Set Name:" and what size the Preview button predicts.

Mike
Kudos0

Hello again Mike,

Great. I updated the version of N360. Now I have found the preview button. It says 25.1 GB. So I have room on the N360 online backup facility. Except that when I backed up before, I selected lots of photographs that I certainly did not need backing up.

Is there a way of deleting my online backup and starting again? This time without the photos I will have space.

Thanks again,

Dan

Kudos0

Hi Dan.

Glad you are now up to date.  Always good to check that once in a while.  

So the size of the backup you want to make is around 25 GB (which will take a while to run to an online server).  But you need to delete the old online backup first to create the space.  That however will leave you at least temporarily without a backup.  So ideally I would like to create a temporary backup as an insurance policy.  Do you have access to any other external drive that might be connected to your computer and that has around 30 GB or more spare space on it?

Mike
Kudos0

Hi Mike,

Yes. I have a v large memory stick with more than 30gb on it.

Dan

Kudos0

Great news.

In that case the easiest thing to do is to

• ensure that your current backup set is set to backup (the "What" part) exactly what you want.
  • plug in the memory stick and change the "Where" so that it points at the memory stick.
  • then click on the Run Backup button and leave it to run.

Even with a local backup 25 GB will take a while so leave the computer in peace but make sure that it will not go to sleep.

Hopefully after a while it will report a successful backup. Whatever it reports come back here and let us know.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos0

Thanks Mike,

I have now backed up to a usb. Now I would like to delete everything on the online backup and setup a new online backup.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Dan

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Hi Dan.

Open Windows Explorer and look in that for drives associated with your machine. There you should see the "Norton Backup Drive".  Open that and it will show you all the Norton backups that are visible from your computer.  So if you are online then it should show your online backups.  Can you see it/them?  The icons for each online backup should look a bit like a disk drive with a black globe sitting on top of it.  Any local backups that can be seen look a bit like a disk drive with a network connection but no black globe.  If you select one of the icons with a globe and right click, you should get the option to delete.

Does the above match with what you are seeing?

If so, try selecting the delete option on at least one of the online backups and leave it to cook for a while.  After at least an hour try going back and checking how much online storage you have free.  Does that match with what you would expect?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Kudos0

Hi Mike,

All sorted.  I deleted the old contents of the on line back up and have now been able to use the on line backup again to store a more reasonable amount of storage. Thank you once again for your time and patience. 

Dan

Kudos0

Delighted that all now seems sorted Dan.

All the best for the future.

Mike

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.