• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

N360 Backup Error

Recently been getting red cross and "Error" when I do a backup. I am aware the N360 will only backup user files such as documents, music, photos - it will not accept system files. I looked at the list of files in the backup and I couldn't see any files that N360 could object to. I have used N360 for several years without significant issues. Has anyone experienced this backup error problem. Incidentally I did a test - I added a new document file and despite saying backup error the file appeared on the list of backed up files. And I have already uninstalled and reinstalled N360 but it continues to have this backup error issue. Also where are the N360 error logs located ?

Labels: Norton 360

Replies

Kudos0

Re: N360 Backup Error

Is there any other information about the error?

Where are you backing up the files? Online, or locally? Is the destination disk full?

Any log entries can be found from the main 360 page. Click on History, and beside Show, scroll down until you see Backup.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Firstly thank you Peter for your very prompt response.

My OS is Windows 7. I have used the N360 backup for several years and only very recently started to encounter this error message.

Backed up to local external hard drive - plenty of storage capacity - it is only used for Norton Backup and is 1TByte. Total volume of all of my backed up files is approx. 100 GByte.

Thank you for pointing me towards the log file - I have attached copy of the 3 error reports - I am guessing that each report relates to my separate backups of 1 backup for documents, 1 for music, 1 for photos. I regret that the error report is rather incomprehensible to me.

Kudos0

I cannot decypher those log entries either. I'll ask this thread be moved to the Backup section of the forum for better help opportunities.

It would also help if the next time the error message comes up you can get a screenshot of the message. That may tell us more.

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
https://community.norton.com/forums/how-post-image-forums-0

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Peter - thank you for your continuing help. I now suspect that one or two incorrect types of file are getting included in my backup. When I looked at "Backup" under "History" I saw that one of the 3 backup sets said that backup had failed and, importantly, identified a file within my documents backup set that included a text log of an mp3 download from Amazon that I had done in 2014. I deleted that file/folder (it was not needed anyway). I have now carried out an experiment. I managed to make a new test backup set that only included a folder that had just 31 documents (.doc, .docx, .pdf). I also deleted all of the existing backup sets and files      [btw - a bit off topic but might be helpful for others - if you want to delete a large backup set and the associated backup files do that by deleting from windows explorer (open that in administrator mode) making sure that N360 backup window is not active (ie N360 is running but no N360 window open) - if you try to delete using the 'delete files' option from within N360 it will take many hours if you have lots of files - end of "off topic" bit ]. My experiment with that small set of document files was entirely successful - I could keep repeating the request for a backup and was successful at every attempt. My problem was understanding how to use the selection of files and folders within N360 Backup window. I apologise for taking up your time. I will continue with selecting a new backup set and make sure that I select the folders accurately and ensure that those folders do not contain files likely to create a problem for N360 Backup. If that fails I might be back seeking assistance again !!

Very many thanks for your help.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Well - it worked fine and my documents etc have backed up ok. The causes of the errors were due to my misunderstanding of how to select folders etc within the Backup GUI - once I understood how it worked I couldn't understand how I found that GUI difficult !! In addition there was a problem with the operation of the external usb hard drive (forgot to "unlock" !! - rather difficult for N360 to write data to a drive that is locked !! ). This thread is now solved. At least I have learnt from my mistakes.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.