• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

N.I.S. 2013 and update 20.3. Keep having to restart andI get logged out of Identity Safe.

Since N.I.S. 2013 updated to 20.3 I keep having to log back into the Identity safe, even though it is set to not log me out, or it tells me a restart is required. This is on a Windows 8 machine. On the other desktop in the house N.I.S. just stops responding and disappears until you restart, it is also running Windows 8. I have had to restart my machines at least 20 times in the last few days bcause of this issue and it is starting to get annoying. I know that Windows 8 is different in the way it shuts down that is why I have tried a restart as well as a shut down on both PC's when it says a restart is required. Sometimes the vault will even say I need to setup the vault over agian and then it will say to restart before I can set it up and sometimes it will say a restart is requried but if I click on the N.I.S. icon in the notification bar it will change it's mind and ask me to jst log in. It is acting like the thing is confused. I would say it could be a virus but then it wouldn't be affecting 2 different computers. I think there is something wrong with the latest version.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: N.I.S. 2013 and update 20.3. Keep having to restart andI get logged out of Identity Safe.

Since N.I.S. 2013 updated to 20.3 I keep having to log back into the Identity safe, even though it is set to not log me out, or it tells me a restart is required. This is on a Windows 8 machine. On the other desktop in the house N.I.S. just stops responding and disappears until you restart, it is also running Windows 8. I have had to restart my machines at least 20 times in the last few days bcause of this issue and it is starting to get annoying. I know that Windows 8 is different in the way it shuts down that is why I have tried a restart as well as a shut down on both PC's when it says a restart is required. Sometimes the vault will even say I need to setup the vault over agian and then it will say to restart before I can set it up and sometimes it will say a restart is requried but if I click on the N.I.S. icon in the notification bar it will change it's mind and ask me to jst log in. It is acting like the thing is confused. I would say it could be a virus but then it wouldn't be affecting 2 different computers. I think there is something wrong with the latest version.

Kudos0

Re: N.I.S. 2013 and update 20.3. Keep having to restart andI get logged out of Identity Safe.

Thank you for the information, JonPopeIV. I keep coming back to see how we're doing with NIS 2013 ... as I intend reinstalling it (on W8x64) when everyone's happy with it. Cowardly way out, isn't it?!?  

Kudos0

The funny thing is there haven't been any problems until this last week. I would blame it on Firefox except that one computer is running the newest release and the other is running the last release so the problem is N.I.S.

Kudos0

Before you try anything to fix this, if you are able to log into your Identity Safe vault, be sure you Export your data in case something gets messed up with your vault.

As to your problem, try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your installation and fix what it finds.

Also, be sure you have run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I am having the same problem.  I reset Identity safe and of course lost all my data.  I still had the same problem so I ran the tool to remove and reinstall.  Still having the same problem.  Identity Safe logs me out for no reason over and over again.  Then just a little while ago, which happens daily, I tried to log in to a website and identity safe said a setup is needed and I had to restart.  This is making me very upset.  I have used NIS for years and never a problem.  I lost all my data, backed it up but NIS Identity won't read it.  Need help in fixing this.  I use Windows 7 desktop.  I have a Windows 8 laptop and no problems there.  Can't seem to get anyone to help me with this issue.  I'm ready to change to some other internet security program.  Problem is I am paid for a year with this one.

Kudos0

This problem sounds identical to the one reported in  this thread: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/System-Restart-Need-Over-and-Over-again/td-p/924979 Must be fairly common.

Gramps2005, I feel as you do. I have been a LONG time user of Norton products, beta tested a few times, recommended the product whenever I've been asked what to use. I am on the verge of looking elsewhere. A released product should be reliable; bugs fixed quickly. This seems to be getting no attention.

Here's what I tried this afternoon - Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

1-Ran SFC and a disk scan

2-Uninstalled NIS via Control Panel

3-Rebooted

4-Downloaded Norton Removal Tool

5-Ran that

6-Rebooted

7-Went to Norton MyAccount & downloaded my licensed NIS 2013

8-Installed. During the install, I was warned about AntiMalwarebytes 1.70 [free version - no proactive protection] being incompatible.

9-Had Norton UNinstall that and continue with installation.

10-Ran Support --- No problems found with autofix. It showed v/ 20.3.0.36

11-Ran LiveUpdate

12-It downloaded 13 items INCLUDING a patch - asked if I wanted to apply it now, otherwise it would do it automatically later

13-I applied it right then. Checked Support/About --- STILL read 20.3.0.36

14-Ran AutoFix again.

15-Found 1 problem and says it fixed it.

So far, the issue this thread pertains to has not reoccurred. SO FAR! It shouldn't be this hard, as I went through a similar procedure yesterday or the day before.

Kudos0

Didn't work. Issue still present.

Kudos0

I can't get any help on this issue.  I have been trying to re-log into Identity Safe most of the evening.  The little thinking circle

just keeps going around and around.  I can't even disable it because I can't seem to log into it.  Did manage to get my DAT file

imported and my loggins are all there, but I can't log into the program itself tonight.  I already used the removal tool and reinstall

once and it didn't help.  The current Norton Internet Security is a piece of junk.  I would like to go back to the old one.  Never had any trouble with them.  Everything would be fine if it wouldn't keep logging me out.  I think I am going to start looking for something else to use and delete this program until Symantec fixes it.  I hate that I am already paid for a year but  This is upsetting.

Kudos0

I can help you with the log out problem.  I had the problem before and the "fix" is to toggle security to from keep me log in to log me out when I log off.  Then I toggled it back to keep me logged in.

To do that go to settings -->Web --> Identity Safe --> Password and Security.  Toggle to "ask for my passwordbefore filling out a login or form.  Click apply.  Then click "no password needed.  Automatically log me in when Windows is started (assuming this was your previous choice)."  Hit Apply.  Enter your password and click "ok.""  Click "OK" on all the dialog boxes to exit.

When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

I restarted my computer and was able to log in.  Funny thing was it was the same way on my Windows 8 laptop.  Weird.  Never had a problem with NIS there.  Okay, I ended up using the uninstall and reinstall tool.  I worked okay but now, I could not use Identity safe to log in here as it says Setup Vault and then when you click on it, it says a restart needed.  I logged in earlier today

and Nothing but trouble.  As soon as I am able to log in again I am going to disable identity safe.  Too bad as I do rely on it

all the time, but I have to start relying on my own memory again.  Thank God I had most (not all ) my log in written down.  It's just too much of a pain to have to keep logging in to the program all the time.  Once a day should be enough if you haven't restarted your computer.

Kudos0

Are you using local ID safe or online?  Did you try my steps to remain logged in?

When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

No, I just disabled it.  I have it on my Windows 8 laptop so went through all the loggins and made sure I have them all written down.  I will try the steps you posted and see how that does.  Hope I can understand what you mean once I get into it.  I am just

so discouraged over the whole thing.  Seems Symantec would take note and fix this problem. 

Kudos0

I got one question: Is your login store on the web or on the PC (Local ID Safe)?

Kudos0

I tried your method, WLP. 6 hours later,"system restart required" in the IS toolbar on IE10. Thanks for trying. I don't know what to do at this point.

Kudos0

I think my loggins are stored on the web not locally.  When I uninstalled and reinstalled the last time, all my loggins were there.  The first time I did that, I lost all of them, but finally figured out how to restore them from DAT backup.

I tried you list of things to do.  I tried the toggle thing and I did not find anywhere that said NO Password Needed.  I also tried

disabling the part that said to remind of password.  That did not good.  The whole thing is messed up.  I had Identity Safe

disabled until I read the response on this forum.  I'm thinking I will go back to disable until Symantec fixes this problem.  So

far nothing has worked and I am not in the mood to keep trying any longer.

Kudos1 Stats

My procedure works when the problem is that when you log out and log back in, Norton does not log you back in despite having no password checked.  Try the following method to uninstall.  Skip the step for Norton 2012 if you don't plan on using the local ID Safe:

1. First back up your ID Safe by going to vault open --> settings --> Export. Choose .csv and type a name in it. Click save.

2. Download the Norton Removal Tool from www.norton.com/nrt. Download Norton Internet Security 2012 from www.norton.com/nis12. Download Norton Internet Security 2013 from www.norton.com/nis20.

3. Uninstall the program using the add / remove program. Reboot the PC.

4. Run the Norton Removal Tool. It shouldn't prompt you to reboot the PC at this stage. It will simply launch a browser window. Close the window and reboot the PC.

5. Go to C:\ProgramData and delete "Norton" and "NortonInstaller."

6. Reboot the PC.

7. Run the Norton Internet Security 2012 installer. Go to settings --> Web --> ID Safe and create a local ID Safe vault. AFTER you have done that, run the Norton Internet Security 2013 installer. Reboot the PC as prompted.

8. When the PC has rebooted, try importing the backup you created earlier by going to settings --> Web --> Identity Safe --> Import data. Browse to the location you save the .csv file. Click OK.

9. Run LiveUpdate until it says no update needed. Reboot the PC as prompted.

10. Launch the program and make sure it's running 20.2.1.22 or later. As of March 6, 2013, Norton is currently holding back the 20.3.0.36 update. This may change in the future.

11. Once this is confirmed, reboot the PC to remove all the old files (I know that upon engine changes, there usually have two files. One is the old and the other is the new. Only a reboot will get rid of the old file).
Kudos0

WLP:  I have printed out your instructions and will try them sometime tomorrow.  I'm too pooped to pop right now.  Too stressed

out over this whole thing that has been going on for a week now.  I tried to get on Chat in support but the wait was going

to be too long.  Thanks, Ill try it.  So far ID Safe has kept me logged in for about 4 hours.  Fingers crossed.

Kudos0

Gramps2005 wrote:

I think my loggins are stored on the web not locally.  When I uninstalled and reinstalled the last time, all my loggins were there.  The first time I did that, I lost all of them, but finally figured out how to restore them from DAT backup.

If you have a DAT backup of your logins, you put that file on a thumb drive and merge it with another computer if you need to.

On the computer you were asked to 'Set Up' the identity safe, follow the directions to set it up. Then from the Norton toolbar in your browser, click on Vault Open - Settings - Import. Then you will be able to import the logins from the thumb drive.

Kudos0

WLP:  I did all the steps.  Could not delete norton from C://Program Data.  Kept telling me it was in use.  This was after I ran the

Norton Removal Tool.   I tried deleteing individual files, which most would not delete.  So I went ahead and installed 2012 and then 2013 in the order you had it down.  I imported my backup file fine (at least it said it imported, but it didn't put my loggin for here in, I had to do it manually.  A window popped up to sync my data.  I just clicked the x  to close it.  I can do that later.  I wonder if I need

to do all those steps on my Windows 8 laptop now.  Oh,  the program is 20.1.1.2  which is not what you said it would be.  This is

even after running live update.

Kudos0

Gramps2005 wrote:

WLP:  I did all the steps.  Could not delete norton from C://Program Data.  Kept telling me it was in use.  This was after I ran the

Norton Removal Tool.   I tried deleteing individual files, which most would not delete.  So I went ahead and installed 2012 and then 2013 in the order you had it down.  I imported my backup file fine (at least it said it imported, but it didn't put my loggin for here in, I had to do it manually.  A window popped up to sync my data.  I just clicked the x  to close it.  I can do that later.  I wonder if I need

to do all those steps on my Windows 8 laptop now.  Oh,  the program is 20.1.1.2  which is not what you said it would be.  This is

even after running live update.

Did you restart Windows?  The problem with the C://ProgramData is when you used NRT to uninstall Norton, creating a "dirty" uninstall.  You need to uninstall via add / remove before it can be removed.  And Tony said the 20.3 should be out.

Kudos0

I did exactly what you had in your steps and restarted every time I was suppose to.  Still could not remove Norton.  It was the identity safe toolbar.  I have a shortcut to Internet options on my desktop and there was no way to remove.  I could only disable it.  I think this was why I was getting the in use notices.

I downloaded from the link you gave me and that is what it installed. 20.1.1.2   The only thing I can think to do is what I had done before and download from my accounts.  I tried running update again.  Didn't help.  So far I am still logged into identity safe.  Hope that stays.

I am back after about an hour and ID safe is still open.  Knock on wood.  I also checked for new version and it said I have the latest one. 

Kudos0

You have Internet Options on your desktop?  That's weird.  Tony said 20.3 should be released to everyone.

Kudos0

I have Internet Options on my desktop because I made a shortcut to it a long time ago. 

Surprise, I have only had to log into ID Safe once today since following your list of things to do.  I didn't sync though.  Maybe that was the problem of having the vault online.  So far so good.  Yesterday I had to log in 4 times and then the setup vault was there and that meant a restart again and I thought enough is enough and did all my logins manually.

So, my advice to anyone that has the trouble this thread is about, don't sync your data so your vault is online.  Simple, huh?

Fingers cross this doesn't backfire on me.

Kudos0

Gramps2005 wrote:

I have Internet Options on my desktop because I made a shortcut to it a long time ago. 

Surprise, I have only had to log into ID Safe once today since following your list of things to do.  I didn't sync though.  Maybe that was the problem of having the vault online.  So far so good.  Yesterday I had to log in 4 times and then the setup vault was there and that meant a restart again and I thought enough is enough and did all my logins manually.

So, my advice to anyone that has the trouble this thread is about, don't sync your data so your vault is online.  Simple, huh?

Hi gramps2005,

Do NOT touch the Sync data online setting , if you are trying to retain your Local Vault.  It will cause you to move your local vault to online and get rid of your local vault.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank Guru.  You can be sure I won't make that mistake again.

Now.  VLP my NIS on my Windows 8 laptop is  20.3.0.36   Weird.  My Windows 7 desktop said I had the latest. 

Kudos0

Umm isn't 20.3 the latest? And I wouldn't touch online Sync with a 20 mile pole.
Kudos1 Stats

Gramps2005 wrote:

Thanks Yank Guru.  You can be sure I won't make that mistake again.

Now.  VLP my NIS on my Windows 8 laptop is  20.3.0.36   Weird.  My Windows 7 desktop said I had the latest. 

Gramps2005,

20.3.0.36 is the latest.  If Windows 7 is something less than 20.3.0.36, than you do not have th latest on that system.  what is the Norton product and the version number (Support > About) on your Win 7 system?  Also please tell us where it says you have the latest?

If it is telling you in the "New Version Check" that you have the latest,  it will tell you that as long as you have a version 20.X.  It will not tell you if you are on version 20.2.0.19 and 20.3.0.36 is the latest.  Basically New Version check works when upgrading from Version 19 to Version 20.  It will not do nything if you are tryng to update to a higher number within the version 20 range.  The update must be done via LiveUpdate.  I hope that's clear.

Kudos0

The version number is 20.1.1.2   That is the one I just installed from the link that VLP gave me.  I will go to my account at Symantec and download and see what that ends up being.  I've run live update several times and it's still the same.  I'll also try

live update again.  Strange I have the right one on my windows 8 laptop but don't on my Windows 7 desktop.

Oh just want you to know my vault has been open all day.  HOORAY!  That got done okay.  Now on to the version correction.

It was in the new version check that it told me I had the latest.  Silly me to believe the program.

Okay, I just ran live update again and they applied a patch.  Thet gave me the newest version.  I'm all set, now if it doesn't mess up ID Safe I'll be happy

Kudos1 Stats

That's great news Garmps2005 - now with my fingers crossed that your vault stays open, I'll fde out of this thread.

Kudos0

Well, that was short lived.  I have had to log into ID Safe 3 times in the last hour.  How do I make sure it is not on the web without my knowledg of putting it there?

Kudos0

Well all of the tips and tricks found herein have not worked. Symantec needs to fix this before I don't renew my subscription. All 3 computers in the house are doing it now and they are a Windows 7 box that primarily uses IE, a Windows 8 box that primarily uses IE and a WIndows 8 box that uses all 3 major browsers, can't even get Identity safe to load on Chrome. The problem is not the PC's or the Browsers, the problem is in Norton Internet Security. Also, from what I understand you can't store your Identity Safe info on your own PC anymore.

Kudos0

Several hours ago, I completely uninstalled NIS 2013 from my main system - still have it running on my Windows 7 Laptop and another PC running 8. I then downloaded a 90 day free trial of BitDefender security suite, along with the standalone, fee version of Norton's Identity Safe. So far, despite the clunky interface of BitDefender, there have been no IS issues. No "system needs a restart".  I suspect it is a NIS glitch rather than just isolated to IS. Sure would be nice to hear from a Symantec tech that knows what he's doing!

Kudos0

I'm really tired of this.  You never know when you will have to restart your computer.  And I have noticed that when the vault says it is closed and needs setup, the NIS icon is also missing from the taskbar.   This is a Norton forum, seems that somebody from

Symantec would be monitoring it.  Until they get ID safe fixed I am just going to disable it.  Enough is enough.

Kudos0

Here's a strange thing.  I disabled ID Safe on my Windows 7 desktop.  However, it is still enabled on my Windows 8 laptop.  Now here's the strange thing.  For two days now I have only had to log into ID safe once and it has remained open, on my laptop.  It's

a local login.    Now my Windows 7 desktop is using Roboform, which I do not like as well.  Wish Symantec would get ID safe fixed. 

Kudos0

Kudos0

I have done 4 Live Updates and no patch.  Did the version check and it said I was up to date.  Still not the new one.  I emailed that Weiss guy to see about it.  Still having problems with the closing up thing.  It's really ticking me off.  Hope I can get the patch and that all will be fine again.  Couldn't attach the picture of the screen after I ran Live Update 4 times.  But, it's still the old version.

Kudos0

Gramps2005 wrote:

I have done 4 Live Updates and no patch.  Did the version check and it said I was up to date.  Still not the new one.  I emailed that Weiss guy to see about it.  Still having problems with the closing up thing.  It's really ticking me off.  Hope I can get the patch and that all will be fine again.  Couldn't attach the picture of the screen after I ran Live Update 4 times.  But, it's still the old version.

If you have emailed Tony, he will reply within 24 hours as noted in the post for the update.

Kudos0

I got the latest.  I am now running the newest version, but, it didn't help identity safe.  I have still had to log into it 4 or 5 times today since installing the new version of NIS.  It just won't stay open even though my computer is on all day.  The old 2012 NIS worked just fine.  I can't figure out how to handle this.  I don't like Robo Form at all and identity safe won't stay open.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Kudos0

Odd -- 48 hours now, and the vault has worked as expected all that time on my machine.

Windows 8 64 bit

Kudos0

I have it both on my Windows 7 desktop and on my Windows 8 laptop.  Will wait until tomorrow to check how it does on the laptop.  On Win 7 I kept having to log in.  I'm on my Win 8 now but do not have id safe showing because I got here through the darn start screen, which I hate.

Kudos0

Well, today is another day and the vault says Access Vault and when I click on it it says restart needed.  Guess I am going to have to type in my own user names and passwords.  The new NIS is even closed completely.  Maybe I need to change to a different program entirely.  Leave, after all these years and go to McAfee or Avast or something else.  Symantec should jump on fixing

this problem.  I was gone for a short while, came back and checked email and the vault was open but 5 seconds after that it was closed and the whole program was closed.

Kudos0

Gramps2005

Watch for a patch for NIS that may be able to help with some of your problems. It should be generally available soon. See Tony's post for more info....http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Product-Update-20-3-1-of-Norton-Internet-Security-and-Norton/m-p/940307#U940307

Kudos0

20.3.1.22 is the one I just installed a couple of days ago and I am still having the same problem.  Not only do I have to log into

Identity Safe over and over again, but sometime the whole entire NIS program closes down and is gone from my task bar.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it does not work.  Right now I have identity safe disabled.

Kudos0

Gramps2005

A couple of questions we did not ask yet.

Do you have Roboform AND NIS installed at the same time? There could be a conflict with Roboform and ID Safe trying to do the same thing at the same time.

Do you now or have you ever had another security program on your computer? If so, you will have to remove it with the removal tool for that program. Even trial versions that came with a new PC can cause a conflict.

Kudos0

Last night I completely removed ROBO Form and then completely removed NIS. I then reinstalled NIS, the newest version. Did this late and so far do not know if it helped or not. It's a wait see. I'm doing this on my iPad. Just turned my computer on and have not been on it yet.

No I do not have any other search programs installed
Kudos0

Gramps2005 wrote:

No I do not have any other search programs installed

You may have a typo here, but it is Security programs I was asking about.

Kudos0

Yes, I re-read and saw you were asking about other Security programs.  I never have had any other than NIS.  When I first got my Windows 7 computer they had 360 installed but I already had a years subscription to NIS so removed 360 and installed NIS.  I never had any problem with identity safe until after the first of this year.

After uninstall and reinstall of NIS, I opened ID safe and logged in.  Didn't give me the option to do it locally so it is through Norton online.  Vault is open now, I will see what happens.  I hope my uninstalling did the trick.  Since it is online, I suppose I will have to log in on my laptop with the password I use for online.  My laptop has a different password since it was local.

I have tried to install Norton on my iPad, but it always tells me I don't have a license.  So I removed it from my iPad.  Don't know why that is either.  I do have Lookout on my iPad though.

Kudos0

What I last wrote about uninstalling and reinstalling.  It did not work.  I have had to re-loggin to ID safe three times today already and it is only noon here.  It is NOT fixed.

Kudos0

After  a period of time with no crashes [after NIS Patch 20.3.1.22], problem has reared its ugly head again - at least 3 or 4 times per day, requiring resttart of Symantec Framework via task manager.

Windows 8 64-bit

IE 10

Office 365 [I mention this because it seems to be related in some way to the NIS anti-spam feature; not sure]

NIS  20.3.1.22

Kudos0

Yeah, and when that system restart is needed, if you don't do it right away, the whole NIS program disappears from the task bar.

I tried Robo Form and didn't like it.  I tried Sticky Password and didn't like it which is probably good because after 30 days you

have to pay for it.  Couldn't find a stand alone Identity Safe for Windows 7.  Still having a lot of trouble with Identity Safe and

I certainly hope they can fix it.  This trouble didn't start until after the first of the year and when I updated.  Right now my vault is

open but that is just because I just finished restarting my computer because I got the Access Vault, System retart needed.  I too, this happen 3 or 4 times a day.  And the just logging in happens over, and over and over again during the day.  PLEASE SYMATEC, FIX THIS PROBLEM.  I love Identity Safe when it is working.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.