• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2013 Local Vault to Online vault - old Local Vault file??

Hello - After installing NIS 2013 a couple of months ago, I migrated from the Local Vault to the Online Vault.  I'm running Windows 7 and IE9.  The Online Vault was accidently deleted during a telephone support session with Norton.  I am trying to locate a copy of the Local Vault to use to restore the Online Vault.  Unfortunately, I did not create a backup of the Local Vault prior to migrating to the Online Vault - my oops.  I have searched for the file names I know to look for - a file name starting with idd, a .csv file that might be left from a prior Export, all .dat files and .npm files.  I did find one .npm file, but the data is 3 years old and useless.  Is the old Local Vault retained on my computer after the migration to Online Vault is completed?  If it is, what is the file name and/or file location?  Thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 Local Vault to Online vault - old Local Vault file??

Hello - After installing NIS 2013 a couple of months ago, I migrated from the Local Vault to the Online Vault.  I'm running Windows 7 and IE9.  The Online Vault was accidently deleted during a telephone support session with Norton.  I am trying to locate a copy of the Local Vault to use to restore the Online Vault.  Unfortunately, I did not create a backup of the Local Vault prior to migrating to the Online Vault - my oops.  I have searched for the file names I know to look for - a file name starting with idd, a .csv file that might be left from a prior Export, all .dat files and .npm files.  I did find one .npm file, but the data is 3 years old and useless.  Is the old Local Vault retained on my computer after the migration to Online Vault is completed?  If it is, what is the file name and/or file location?  Thanks.

Kudos0

If you were already using the local vault with your 2013 installation, it should still be there.

Click on Vault Closed on the Norton Toolbar. Look for a link to Log into the local vault.

If you get logged in this way, be sure to back up your Identity Safe data. Use the CSV format for compatibility.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

peterweb - Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately that login option is not available on my system.

Kudos1 Stats

In Vista/Win 7:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.1.1.2\IdentitySafeDataStore\S-1-5-21-1845553030-3031872880-4008053321-1001\IDDStore2.dat

Please note: the NIS_version umber 20.1.1.2 may differ dependent on when youinstalled your NIS and the S-a-5-21 may also slightly difffer, and if more than one, choose the most recent.

1. Copy the Identity Safe data folder to a new folder in a convenient location on your computer.
2. In the Identity Safe Settings Window select Import Data > Configure [+]
3. In the Import Identity Safe Data window, 'Browse' to the new folder you just created in step 1
4. Double click the folder to open it and select the file IDDStore2 > Open.
5 .Under 'While importing data', select 'Merge with existing data' and click OK. You may be prompted to enter the password for the old data.
6. If you have changed any login credentials for a particular site since the older data was created, you will be presented with a Data Conflict window. Select which login version you wish to keep and click OK.
7. OK your way out and check that the merged logins have been added and are working.

Let us know how things work out.

Kudos0

yank - Thanks - I really appreciate your help.  I found the following file:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.1.1.2\NCO\IDD2.DAT

That is the only .dat file that starts with IDD I can find.  Is this .DAT file the same file you referenced with a slighty different name?

I also found the IdentitySafeStore folder in the NIS_20.1.1.2 folder (at the same level as NCO) and it contains 2 folders:

S-1-5-21-838190948-2676209177-2763544398-500, which has the property "Empty folder", and

S-1-5-21-838190948-2676209177-2763544398-1000, which contains several sub-folders and one file, last accessed today, named:

{818d228e-1ea9-4be5-a3c2-30ef009ca28c}.dat

The above file is the ONLY .DAT file in the IdentitySafeStore folder.  Any idea what is in this .DAT file?

Kudos0

Daviddubya wrote:

yank - Thanks - I really appreciate your help.  I found the following file:

C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.1.1.2\NCO\IDD2.DAT

That is the only .dat file that starts with IDD I can find.  Is this .DAT file the same file you referenced with a slighty different name?

I also found the IdentitySafeStore folder in the NIS_20.1.1.2 folder (at the same level as NCO) and it contains 2 folders:

This is definitely the folder you are lokoing for.

S-1-5-21-838190948-2676209177-2763544398-500, which has the property "Empty folder", and

S-1-5-21-838190948-2676209177-2763544398-1000, which contains several sub-folders and one file, last accessed today, named:   {818d228e-1ea9-4be5-a3c2-30ef009ca28c}.dat

The above folder also has subfolders on my System - one empty and one with other files located inside.

Not a very good screen, but looking closely hopefully you can see what my corresponding S-1-5-21 folder that holds content has in it:

The above file is the ONLY .DAT file in the IdentitySafeStore folder.  Any idea what is in this .DAT file?

I infact have 3 DAT files in that folder  of whichi one is the IDDStore2.dat and also an IDDStore2.dat.bak)

Hi Daviddubya,

I am sorry, but I do not know what is in the file you questioned (it would not permit me to open it), but am sure it does not contain the IDD Store. nor do I know why you do not have the IDDStore2 files?

Have you tried to connect to the ID Safe Home page - click on the House favicon, on the Norton Toolbar and then Select All -  you should be able to see your log-ins - but I am not sure if there is anyway you can export them from there - never tried it.

Kudos0

Kudos0

peterweb - the link you provided is almost 4 years old.  Is that link still pertinent to NIS 2013?

Kudos0

Daviddubya wrote:

peterweb - the link you provided is almost 4 years old.  Is that link still pertinent to NIS 2013?

Sorry. The information is still valid but I have a newer link that explains it better.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Zone-Public-Beta/Norton-Zone-Mobile-clients-are-now-available-in-more-countries/m-p/865874#U865874

Let us know how it goes.

Kudos0

peterweb - You asked how did it go?  Poorly.  There is no backup (or simply an old version) of the NIS2012 logins anywhere that I can find, in Program Data, various "backup" folders or Carbonite backups.  The logins must be recrearted one at a time.  Yeah, I know - backup you Identity Safe vault.  Thanks guys.

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

Daviddubya wrote:

Sorry. The information is still valid but I have a newer link that explains it better.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Zone-Public-Beta/Norton-Zone-Mobile-clients-are-now-available-in-more-countries/m-p/865874#U865874

Let us know how it goes.

peterweb - are you sure that is the link you wanted to reference??  appears to be asociated with Mobile??

Kudos0

Yank

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I should work one board at a time.

Daviddubya

Here is the link I was supposed to have posted.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Please-Stop-me-going-mad-Norton-360/m-p/864018/highlight/true#M6855

See if that information helps.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.