• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos3 Stats

NIS 2014 to Norton Security Chat

I recently bought NIS 2014 and have been a loyal Norton customer since the original Norton for DOS products. I had not yet heard of the Norton Security changes and was just updating my yearly subscription. Since they went to subscription based software a while back, I assumed when I bought this that any new version (2015) would be automatically included. Wrong. Like many on here, Norton chat refused to do anything unless I repurchased the software. I am on disability and can not afford to do that. Even at a reduced rate, which was not even offered.

I don't understand why they are not offering an upgrade path from previous versions if it is truly a new product. If it is a subscription, then it should be updated/upgraded automatically. Which is it Symantec?

My question is, are they really going to support NIS with updates like in the past or do you think all effort will go into Norton Security?

Also, has anyone heard if they are going to offer an upgrade price?

I hate to change security programs, but this might be a deal breaker for me.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2014 to Norton Security Chat

FWIW   I am running NIS v21.6 and have no plans to transition to Norton Security v22
             I fully expect to be supported for my subscription period and for the foreseeable future.
Quote from the Announcement <link>
As an existing Norton customer you do not need to worry. Your product will continue to deliver protection through the end of the subscription term. You will continue to receive protection updates (such as LiveUpdate virus definitions) and you will be able to continue to renew your product for the foreseeable future.

Some users are reporting installing NS Trial and being able to transfer days + + +
Problem solved Thread <link> 
May depend on Chat Support agent or individual customer circumstances.
The caveat about Support is....if you don't get satisfaction.  Try again.

Welcome to the Community

Kudos0

So it sounds like we will get virus def. updates but no new features.

Symantec should at least offer an upgrade path.

I will try chat again. That seems like a lost cause for most users. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the reply.

Kudos0

DTB
Well, they recently did away with NVP BHO w NIS.  Norton Vulnerability Protection ~ Browser Helper Objects.
Norton now directly injects protection into the browser.  That is a feature in NSv22
And the next Firefox update.  Norton will have to support browser updates.  They're still selling Legacy products. 
The EOA is a phased end of availability for Legacy products.  Not today for sure. 
They're working on updates for Legacy products.
I'm riding my horse until it throws me....

Kudos0

I was just worried that they would stop supporting/updating the Firefox toolbar plugin, vault, etc.

I hate spending good money only to be asked for more a few weeks later.

Sounds like I should just mellow out and hope they do the right thing eventually.

Good luck with that horse

Kudos0

I was just worried that they would stop supporting/updating the Firefox toolbar plugin, vault, etc.
I hate spending good money only to be asked for more a few weeks later.
Sounds like I should just mellow out and hope they do the right thing eventually.
Good luck with that horse

Please subscribe to the Product Update Announcements Blog > Options > Subscribe
You'll be set an email when ever there is an update announcement 
Cheers

Kudos0

OK, doing that right now.

I'm a complete newbie to forums, so I appreciated your responses.

Thanks again.

Kudos2 Stats

After 20+ years with Norton products, I not happy with the way they are treating existing customers. We endured them switching to the subscription based services and purchasing every year and now they change the rules again. It wouldn't have been so bad if they offered an upgrade path, but paying full price after just purchasing  NIS 2014, that is just bad business practice.

My computer's security is way too important to trust to a discontinued security program.

And playing the 'chat' game and hoping you get a sympathetic rep., That's just ridiculous.

I am thinking about calling to call it quits with Norton and trying Bitdefender Total Security 2015 or something similar. Time to do some research.

Norton used to be a valued name in this business.

Kudos0

Hi DTB.

I am sorry you feel so let down by Norton but I do not understand what you mean by "It wouldn't have been so bad if they offered an upgrade path".

As I see it you can continue to use the product of your choice for the foreseeable future and they will support it.  They have brought out a new product and if you wish to transfer to that you may.  It appears from the posts I have seen the the new product installs well over the top of the old ones.

From all I can see they will give you credit for any outstanding license time you have on your current product.  As you say you recently bought NIS 2014 then you are probably within their 60 day refund period so you have another option of getting the refund and then using that towards the new product if you want it.  But then again many, such as bjm_ are choosing to stay with the product they already know and trust.  The option is yours. 

So exactly how do you feel that Norton have let you down?

Mike
Kudos0

Andmike wrote:  But then again many, such as bjm_ are choosing to stay with the product they already know and trust.

Since, my name was mentioned....allow me to add my two cents.  I am subscribed via my Norton account to product updates, offers and security newsletters.  I have yet to receive an email regarding my product EOA and transition option aka offers regarding my product. 
I have never received an email regarding my product.  The only way I learn anything regarding my product is via the Community.

I suspect the vast majority of Norton users will / may only find out about Norton Security upon their product expiration. 
I suspect from reading DTB posts....that DTB is concerned that an EOA product will not be fully supported.   
I suspect from reading DTB posts... that DTB is upset about the upgrade path.

I'm concerned that despite reassurances from Support that my email is on record and that I will receive product information.
My inbox is void of such information.  I'm concerned that some users have found an easy upgrade path while others still struggle.
I'm concerned that users do not seem to appreciate that EOA is phased and the transition to NS imo is also meant to be phased. 
Respectfully submitted 
$.02

Kudos0

Andmike

Sorry, I meant to say a 'discounted price upgrade plan, which most companies do offer.

After years of buying the yearly subscription, I purchase a full 1 user, 3 license version of NIS a week before the announcement of Norton Security being released. I didn't purchase from Norton and there is no return on software where I purchased .I expected the same subscription rules.to apply as before, upgrades to the latest version for the full 365 days. That was there rule, not mine. I don't mind upgrading to a new version for a reasonable fee, but full price less than 30 days after purchase. How is that fair?

That's what I'm upset about.

Kudos0

bjm_

Exactly right on all accounts.

I had to read here about the new Norton Security being out and that I had just bought outdated software. Not from Norton-Symantec.

I know this is considered a new product but if I buy Norton Security now and add my 330 odd days left to the new subscription, what is to keep them from doing the same thing next year and introduce another new product. We will have to go thru this again? Are they going to change the subscription rules again?

I am not going to go thru the 'chat roulette' game again. It didn't do much good this time, although I'm happy for the ones where it worked.

But anyhow, it's mainly about how thorough they will be with the updates to NIS knowing it is a discontinued product.

Remember when Firefox first came out with bi-monthly updates? We waited many weeks for an updated toolbar.

Kudos0

Hi DTB.

I think I understand a bit better now.  But things may not be as bad as you think.  

I suggest that you have a word with a Norton Chat operative (who can be contacted via this link) and explore your options.  If you want to upgrade now rather than running for 365 days on your current fully supported product, say that is what you would like to do, if you can transfer credit for your unused days on your current (cheaper?) product and see what you are offered.  If you are not happy with what is offered, why not explore the 60 day money back offer which I am fairly sure even applies to products not bought directly from Norton.  You will need to be able to prove what you did pay but that seems reasonable.  

If you want to look at Norton's refund policy this link should take you to it.  As you will see, it says that "Proof of purchase is required if you have purchased from a retailer."  So as I read it, that seems to mean that you should be covered. 

And finally, whenever a new product comes out there are always going to be people who bought something else just before it was announced.  They will always feel that fate was against them, but such is life... and I hope that the options offered by Norton may make your disappointment a little less than it was.

Do let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Good luck.

Mike
Kudos0

Andmike

Thanks for your responses.

I have already bought the software, I'll live with that decision, whatever they do to NIS in the future.

I've tried chat, they basically said 'Be glad to transfer your remaining days, $80 please.' with NO other options.

As I have said before, some people have had good luck with this, but MOST have not. At 10-20 minutes per session, how many of these are Norton's Loyal customers expected to suffer through before we get some satisfaction? I have been a customer since the very first Norton utilities for DOS. I would just like to be an appreciated customer that doesn't have to jump thru hoops to get the proper respect.

Sorry for the rant.

Kudos0

No need to apologise DTB, just sorry that you feel that way and was trying to make things a little easier, but I think I understand.

All the best for the future.

Mike
Kudos0

Hello DTB
You may find this of interest
Sometimes riding the old horse a little longer ain't such a bad thing. 

Kudos0

bjm_

I was just worried that the old horse will keel over and die, fall on me and steal my bank and credit card info before it gets buried.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Kudos0

bjm_
I was just worried that the old horse will keel over and die, fall on me and steal my bank and credit card info before it gets buried.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

LOL    It's been a real pleasure working with you.  You make my volunteering worthwhile.

Kudos1 Stats

First of all, I'm very disappointed about not being able to update free to Norton 22.x
When I purchased NIS I purchased it in the believe that I would get the best protection Symantec has to offer for one year. It is an subscription, I didn't purchase version 21! Well, as it seams, I was wrong and form now on I will only have an acceptable protection compared to the new versions of other products which have been improved. Only NIS users are stuck with the old version. If Norton stays with this upgrade policy I will never ever buy any product of them again.

Kudos0

• For what it's worth, I just left a chat with Norton Support and was told there was no rollover of days to NSB from Norton 360, but I can use my paid license for Norton 360 until it expires. That's quite generous.
Kudos0

Return Policy
 Symantec offers a money-back guarantee on most Norton branded consumer products if you are not satisfied with it for any reason. However, eligibility for a refund may depend on the type of product, subscription term, duration since purchase, where it was purchased, etc.

Kudos0

DTB wrote:  I'll cool down before I fill out the customer satisfaction survey.

Hello DTB
Here is recently posted 09/29/2014 subscription information re Legacy products and Norton Security <link>

Kudos0

Update

Just got an email from Norton:

"Thank you for your recent contact with Symantec.

We hope that we were able to assist you, and that your experience with our customer service was positive. If this is not the case, or if there is anything else we can do to help, please just click here to chat with one of our senior support representatives. (emphasis mine)

Our ongoing efforts to provide better service require your feedback, and we request that you complete our customer satisfaction survey."

So I tried chat again with the same results (or even worse).

I forgot to copy it but basically they told me NIS is still being sold as a current product. NO upgrade/update to Norton Security. We have millions of customers and we can't afford to loose them.We are here for you and will serve you. That is what she said. NOT KIDDING.

I could not chat with a senior rep.

Why bother with the email if you can't get to the right person for follow up.

I was going to let it go but all they did was  P**S me off further.

I'll cool down before I fill out the customer satisfaction survey.

Kudos0

bjm_

Thanks for the link. This is the first time I have seen this particular announcement. Why couldn't Norton send this to ALL registered NIS users in the first place.

I accepted the situation after our earlier discussions and then got the email asking if everything was handled positively. When I followed their link to let them know , it was sent back into the same old "chat roulette" game with the same results. I know the email was a canned response but Norton is not listening when you respond back.

I also don't understand how some are getting upgraded, others are not, and all of the in-between actions by using chat numerous times. It's using your email address, they have all of the other chat sessions available to them but they still give so many different responses.

Sorry, off my soap box now. Besides, they started it.

Kudos0

DTB wrote:  bjm_  Thanks for the link. This is the first time I have seen this particular announcement. Why couldn't Norton send this to ALL registered NIS users in the first place. [..]  I also don't understand how some are getting upgraded, others are not, and all of the in-between actions by using chat numerous times. It's using your email address, they have all of the other chat sessions available to them but they still give so many different responses.  Sorry, off my soap box now.   Besides, they started it.

As to "Why" .... ?
Respectfully

Kudos0

DTB wrote:  I'll cool down before I fill out the customer satisfaction survey.

Hello DTB
Here is recently posted 09/29/2014 subscription information re Legacy products and Norton Security <link>

I think the really important part is in this, which I'd not absorbed previously:

<< What should I do until then?

We recommend that you continue using your current product until the functionality to convert your subscription is available. Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 products will continue to receive the best protection Norton has to offer.

As another option  [my bold] you may purchase a Norton Security service when your current subscription expires (be sure to Turn off Automatic Renewal to your current Norton product first).  >>

That latter "another option" indicates that waiting and getting converted is a real possibility ..... and that the purchase is for those in a rush or with expiring subscriptions.

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr

I just saw that as I was responding to bjm_.

If Norton had sent me this link when NS was introduced, I never would have started complaining and just waited.

They also need to educate their chat reps. better and provide a more uniform response. Chat is so hit or miss depending on who you get (mostly miss), that it is useless to even contact them.

Let's hope that Norton makes a decision soon on what you quoted above.

Kudos0

Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 products will continue to receive the best protection Norton has to offer.

However, Norton cannot have it both ways saying that NS & NSwB is the best ever protection and then say and older version without the same features is the best protection Norton has to offer.

Kudos0

Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, and Norton 360 products will continue to receive the best protection Norton has to offer.

However, Norton cannot have it both ways saying that NS & NSwB is the best ever protection and then say and older version without the same features is the best protection Norton has to offer.

Read a little further ...
quote:  "You will remain protected with best in class protection [..]"

Legacy products are in a class and Norton Security is in a class.
$.02

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.