• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1 Stats

NIS 21.1.0.18/FF 26.0 - "Vault is Open" broken and no logins for "Which Login Would You Like to Use"

When I first start Firefox 26.0 Norton Identity Safe appears to function properly. I can open the vault and get the expected response from NIS when I click on "Vault is Open", etc. However, after a short period of time (no more than 30 minutes usually) things change. NIS is still running and enters passwords for web sites but the following no longer work.

• Clicking on the "Vault Is Open" button in the Firefox toolbar does nothing. The button briefly flashes to a blue background but it does not open NIS.
  • When I go to a web site with multiple logins (e.g., Amazon where I have several accounts) I no longer get a list of available login options. I simply get the message "Which Login Would You Like To Use" and nothing else.

Closing Firefox and restarting it does resolve these issues albeit temporarily.

What's the best course of action?

• Wait for an update to NIS and/or Firefox to fix this?
  • Uninstall Firefox 26.0 and reinstall it?
  • Uninstall NIS and reinstall it?
  • Uninstall both Firefox and NIS and reinstall both and in what order?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 21.1.0.18/FF 26.0 - "Vault is Open" broken and no logins for "Which Login Would You Like to Use"

When I first start Firefox 26.0 Norton Identity Safe appears to function properly. I can open the vault and get the expected response from NIS when I click on "Vault is Open", etc. However, after a short period of time (no more than 30 minutes usually) things change. NIS is still running and enters passwords for web sites but the following no longer work.

• Clicking on the "Vault Is Open" button in the Firefox toolbar does nothing. The button briefly flashes to a blue background but it does not open NIS.
  • When I go to a web site with multiple logins (e.g., Amazon where I have several accounts) I no longer get a list of available login options. I simply get the message "Which Login Would You Like To Use" and nothing else.

Closing Firefox and restarting it does resolve these issues albeit temporarily.

What's the best course of action?

• Wait for an update to NIS and/or Firefox to fix this?
  • Uninstall Firefox 26.0 and reinstall it?
  • Uninstall NIS and reinstall it?
  • Uninstall both Firefox and NIS and reinstall both and in what order?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Kudos0

Re: NIS 21.1.0.18/FF 26.0 - "Vault is Open" broken and no logins for "Which Login Would You Like to Use"

Hi,

What's the operating system?

Thanks

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I'm experiencing the same problem.    In the effort to solve this problem, I completely uninstalled both Firefox 26 and Norton 21 and then reinstalled making sure to first install Norton 21 (with all patches applied) and then installed FF.

However the problem with the "which login would you like to use" becoming invisible after about 30 minutes of FF activity persists.

I have a fully updated Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit installation on my PC.

The problem seems to be isolated to the interaction between FF 26 and NSS 21.   I have experimented with both Chrome 31 and IE 11 leaving these browsers run for a few hours and the proper "which login would you like to use" list box will continue to appear.

I've noticed that once the "which login would you like to use" zones out, the settings control panel/general tab for the NSS identity safe reports that the browser extensions for IE and Chrome are "ok" but the Firefox extension is reported as "status could not be determined".

It is very frustrating having to restart FF every 30 minutes or less to be able to access the multiple logins option of NSS.

Kudos0

This is happening with Firefox 25 as well.  I am having to manually enter my logins on sites where there are multiple accounts.  Anyone found a solution?  This just started with the update to Norton 360 v21 that Norton installed last month without my approval.

Kudos0

Having the same problem.

NIS 21.1.0.18

FF 26.0

Running Windows 7 Pro  SP1 64 bit

Kudos0

I too have these same problems (and did on FF25).

• Win7ProSP1x64 - fully updated and monitored by Secunia PSI
  • NIS 21.1.0.18
  • Norton Toolbar 2014.6.2.3

In order to exclude all Firefox add-ons, I've run FF multiple times in the past couple months after disabling ALL plug-ins and ALL extensions except Norton, but the problem does come back after some indeterminite amount of browser use.  I find restarting FF to be unacceptable, as I typically have multiple windows & tabs (on multiple virtual desktops), often left open for days.

A partial workaround for when I need to update something in the vault (which can't be accessed since the "VAULT IS OPEN" button doesn't work) is to bring up IE and modify the vault via that browser's toolbar.  I also maintain a folder (with subfolders) on my FF Bookmarks toolbar where I organize my most frequently used pages that the Norton Vault can auto-fill...this gets around the ABSURDITY of no longer having categories and a dropdown menu from the Norton toolbar.   For the less-frequently-used pages, I resort to using IE.

Unfortunately, neither of these pseudo-workarounds helps with the multiple-accounts problem.

Win7-SP1 Pro x64, WinVista-SP2 Ultimate x64NIS 21.1.0.18
Kudos1 Stats

I just spoke with tech support about this issue (in a Chrome browser) and was told that NIS doesn't support multiple logins any more.  I was given an incoherent reason for this.  For years ID Safe has handled multiple logins reasonably well... now all of a sudden that capability is removed??

I agree re the new toolbar -- the whole thing is broken.

Kudos0

Hi All,

I'm sure you all do not have the same setting in ID Safe options selected on the Security Tab to Close vault after XX minutes of inactivity, but that is the first place I would start.
Kudos0

Of course that was the first place I looked.  My setting is, and always has been (a) "Ask for my password at the beginning of each login session."   This, IMO, is better than (b) entering my vault password for every use, or (c) having it automatically close after 15,30,45 minutes.  (Nowhere I can find the phrase/term "each login session" defined, but I'm not getting prompted for a password anyway.)

When the toolbar says "VAULT IS OPEN", but doesn't bring up the pop-up when pushed, it's clearly broken. 

As far as multiple logins is concerned, that's B.S.  Under the Settings->Browsing tab in the toolbar's app window, it clearly has the option "Display my Logins when I have multiple Logins for one site."  And in my case, it works for awhile, then stops working.  In Firefox only.  In IE, it all behaves as expected.

Win7-SP1 Pro x64, WinVista-SP2 Ultimate x64NIS 21.1.0.18
Kudos0

Hi All,

I have been running Firefox 26 on my Win 7 64 Bit NIS 21.1.0.18 for the last 4 hours with the ID Safe Vault open and have not had any situations of the button not opening as expected. 

I was all ready to report I could not duplicate - but then reliezed I signed into my Local Vault, so I will now sign into my Online Vault on this system and see if I can duplicate it not functioning.

BTW jayeman your Norton Toolbar is not up to date, the most recent patch was for NTB version 2014.6.5.1.

I'll be back later with how the Online Vault reacted in regards to the Vault is Open Button not functioning as expected.

Kudos0

Well, it's three hours later and I have to report that my Online Vault has remained open for the entire time.  Only difference I saw between the Local and the Online Vault was that the Online Vault showed a brief "Loading" prior to opening as expected.

Sorry, but it appears I will not be any help!

Kudos0

I'm having a variety of ongoing Identity Safe issues, most of which have appeared in others' forum entries recently, however I have one I haven't seen reported before, follows..

In G Mail the Identity Safe toolbar banner window that appears under the tools window is actually overwriting and obscuring the top portion of the G mail window. Makes G Mail impossible to use.  Can be worked around by closing the Identity Safe toolbar or reloading the G Mail window. (Running Up to Date  Windows XP SP3/Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 m/NIS Version 21.1.0.18)

And. How do I update NIS to the latest version (per your forum entry). I have 2014.6.4.11 and when I run Norton Update Checker  from Update Center it says this is the latest??

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.