• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

No Norton Toolbar for Firefox 41.0.2

Will Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe ever work with Firefox 41.0.2 again. Ever since the last update back in September it has stopped working. Now a new version of FF just showed up - what are the chances Norton will work on that? I waited over a month before updating the last time because it said NIS was not compatiable, now we wait ever longer....?????

Replies

Kudos0

Re: No Norton Toolbar for Firefox 41.0.2

I get Norton free because I use Comcast, so the price is right. I will probably stay with Norton for that reason. However, the Identity Safe is the main reason I stay with Norton. I like not having to fill in username/passwords.

It seems like four or five times a year Norton & Firefox get crossways of each other and the thing that always fails is the Identity Safe, causing me untold grief as I dig out old usernames and passwords I have forgotten. So, has anyone used a third party password safe? Is LastPass or something good and reliable? I would like to avoid this constant breaking and just not use the Norton Toolbar.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi Puzzled Look,

Being on Comcast, all you have available is a Local Vault (a Vault that many retail users might kill for), and you do have the capability to use Internet Explorer.  I have not had any problems what-so-ever with FF's frequent updating while using IE on Comcast.  

Just a thought -in lieu of changing password managers it seems to be much easier to change browsers.

Kudos0

win764bit,ns22.5,ff40.0.3,sandboxie5.0.6,    ran live update and applied the patch. opened firefox-popup stating allow identitysafe to be installed-clicked yes and continue.  firefox opens but identitysafe is gone from toolbar but shows in extensions as untrusted. so i update ff to 42 but this made no difference. closed ff and opened firefox thru sandboxie. sandboxie throws up error and doesn't work. it's getting to the point that every month between microsoft updates, norton upgrades and patches, ff every 6 week upgrades and all this screwing up sandboxie it's getting damn near impossible to keep a computer running smooth. right now the best machine i've got running is my xp(using to type this) that i dual boot with ubuntu 14.0.4.   this is driving me toward a chromebook and i'm going to set up my win7 to dual boot mint17.2 and say goodbye to windows. please forgive me for ranting, but i'm an old retired guy and i just a machine i don't have to constantly screw with. hopefully sandboxie will issue a fix soon and i'm still pissed after not updating firefox all this time, norton issues a patch and now its gone. thanks

Kudos0

Topopurim47:

win764bit,ns22.5,ff40.0.3,sandboxie5.0.6,    ran live update and applied the patch. opened firefox-popup stating allow identitysafe to be installed-clicked yes and continue.  firefox opens but identitysafe is gone from toolbar but shows in extensions as untrusted. so i update ff to 42 but this made no difference. closed ff and opened firefox thru sandboxie. sandboxie throws up error and doesn't work. [..].

FWIW ~ the error from Sandboxie may have been. Sandboxie asking for Start/Run Access for coNatHst.exe (similar to Chrome).
BTW ~ Sandboxie breaks Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe.  That's long standing reported by Sandboxie.
Try running FF non-sandboxed and hopefully you'll find FF42 + Norton Identity Safe 2015.5.6.76 (not verified yet) partial working offering site safety annotations.

Phase 1 update will provide the Web Protection Support for Firefox 38, 39, 40, 41 and 42. (so, the Identity Safe Vault will not be available) --- Note: update is only for 22.5.4 version of Norton.

Kudos0

Hi Topopurim47,

You may find the following interesting:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/6744801#comment-6744801

Nothing wrong with old retired guys ranting, I'm an ol' fart also and feel we have earned the right to a few rants!

Not familiar with sandboxie, have you tried the update with it turned off - in regards to it working - not in regards to the warning.

Kudos0

I don't like IE and I feel like Chrome is always Hoovering up browsing habits. I don't understand about the Local Vault with Comcast. Do I not have the same Indetity Safe as Norton offers?

Thanks.

Kudos0

The only part that is different in the Comcast version is that the Password Vault is stored on your computer instead of the Cloud.  I actually prefer this. 

Kudos0

@puzzled - seems like you have questions of your own that need answers, maybe be nice to start a thread about your issues, but at least they are trying to give you responses.

@ Topop - nice rant, I'm in same boat.

@ bjm - good code talk but was that an answer or just what doesn't work. I've had FF in SBIE running with NIS toolbar at times for many months until, as Puzzled says, along comes an update. They were working together before this last bout of junk updates. FF 41.02 says NIS toolbar is Not compatiable - this is before others even discussed sandbox.

@PaulGo I don't have comcast but it's so nice to hear about what you like.

What I'd really like is some kind of answer from somebody that knows what's going on and when it will be addressed!!!

Kudos0

BOBD90: @ bjm - good code talk but was that an answer or just what doesn't work. I've had FF in SBIE running with NIS toolbar at times for many months until, as Puzzled says, along comes an update. They were working together before this last bout of junk updates. FF 41.02 says NIS toolbar is Not compatible - this is before others even discussed sandbox.

Topopurim47: asked about Sandboxie in context related to FF42 Permalink.  Not related to Permalink and perhaps your context as discussed over at Sandboxie Forum.   related > http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21965

Kudos0

So if it's stored locally maybe the standalone version of Identity Safe that Nortn has (or used to - maybe they don't anymore) would work and not be tired to FF releases. I assume it is encrypted. Do you know where it is stored on my drive?

Thanks for the responses.

Kudos0

bjm & yank         my machine with sandboxie 5.0.6. ns22.5, firefox40.0.3 was working great until I ran live update and installed the patch. sandboxie error cannot start process.  I updated to ff42 thinking that might return idsafe. just came to me, wondering if all this new tinkering by Norton, will we be able to retain local vault. sandboxie and idsafe so far seems to work with ie11 but I don't like ie.  sandboxie is my #1 program, ns-2,ff-3. thanks for your help

Kudos0

Topopurim47:

bjm & yank: my machine with sandboxie 5.0.6. ns22.5, firefox40.0.3 was working great until I ran live update and installed the patch. sandboxie error cannot start process.  I updated to ff42 thinking that might return idsafe. just came to me, wondering if all this new tinkering by Norton, will we be able to retain local vault. sandboxie and idsafe so far seems to work with ie11 but I don't like ie.  sandboxie is my #1 program, ns-2,ff-3. thanks for your help

FWIW ~ Sandboxie 5.06 + NS 22.5.4 + FF 42 work for me.  YMMV.
Caveat: I do not run Norton Toolbar/ID Safe in browser sandbox.  Sanboxie breaks Norton Toolbar/ID Safe.  YMMV.

Kudos0

Just as a matter of info for all who have commented on Comcast's version.  Comcast version does not have a Norton Account tied to the product - thus, no online vault capability, no Online backup, and as long as Comcast NSS is installed, it will error out when and if you attempt to install Norton Identity Safe Stand Alone (IDSS).  Comcast NSS's Local Vault is tied to a Windows User Account (you can have two different vaults with 2 different Windows Users), but provides no Online capability.

That said there are other small differences - no new version check, no Product Manual, no Add a device, Feedback or Norton Account info under Help Center.  Also no "days remaining" on the main page - because as long as you are a Comcast customer, your Norton does not expire.

I agree this thread is getting confusing with all the topics discussed by different folks, so perhaps consider a new thread if you feel it will assists us in helping you answer your specific question.

Kudos0

I agree the thread is getting confusing. I will drop away now. But I will add that now you are required to have a Norton account to participate in the forums. Apparently that is a new development, as I had to create a Norton account even though I already had a forum username/password.

Kudos0

Puzzled Look: I agree the thread is getting confusing. I will drop away now. But I will add that now you are required to have a Norton account to participate in the forums. Apparently that is a new development, as I had to create a Norton account even though I already had a forum username/password.

We have implemented a new login process tied to your Norton Account. Please see this forum thread for information on logging into your existing account. 

Kudos0

Puzzled Look:

I agree the thread is getting confusing. I will drop away now. But I will add that now you are required to have a Norton account to participate in the forums. Apparently that is a new development, as I had to create a Norton account even though I already had a forum username/password.

Puzzled Look - FWIW, instead of dropping totally away, why not post on the Comcast Forums  (you may have to register there) and all users there will be on the same product as you are.  BTW I go by USAF_E-8_RET over there, so there will be someone familiar with your situation when you get there.  Also, Harry (a Norton employee) posts as NortonSupport over there on a regular basis.

Yes, I understand needing to have a Norton Account (in order to participate here) may be a bit different and confusing for Comcast users who are not used to having to use a Norton Account.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.