• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 22.7.0.76 still full system scan termination problems

quick scan OK

full system scan

custom full system scan

runs but hangs when it should terminate write to the log files, cannot close the final window must reboot to recover

same problem in Norton 22.7.0.75

No errors logged

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 22.7.0.76 still full system scan termination problems

Hi @whatfor,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you please send me logs? I have sent you a private message with the instructions. Please take a look at your inbox when you get a chance. Thanks.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi @whatfor,

Are you seeing the CPU pegging itself at 100% while the full system scan is in progress ? Is it stuck on the same file ?

Are you unable to run any other tasks on the machine when the full system scan is in progress ?

We might want to obtain a full memory dump from this machine. We will send you the details.

Thanks,

Snehansh

Kudos0

Yea I can't either

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

4 core cpu not much load

I can even run quick scan

this is the item I found which I will try to upload

Kudos0

Hi @Aaron Greenbaum and @whatfor,

I have sent you both private messages. Please look into your inbox when you get a chance. Thanks.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Folks...

I’m having similar problems.

Two days ago Norton updated itself to version 22.7.0.76 and with immediate effect full scans would hang. Today, though, I can’t even launch a full scan at all. Quick scan and updates all seem to work okay (so far)... but no full scan.

I’m now wary of putting other computers online, in case they too are forced into upgrading to 22.7.0.76, if there’s a widespread problem with it.

Any obvious solution? Many thanks.

Kudos0

Hi @WilWalker,

Would you be able to send me logs, if you can reproduce this issue? I have sent you a private message with the instructions to collect logs. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. Thanks.

-Gayathri

Kudos0

Windows 7, can not run any scans, auto fix will not repair.

Auto protect off, pc at risk notification.

Kudos0

I'm having the same issue. Quick scan will work sometimes and full scan will not load. when full scan does load it gets hung up on iTunes\media. I deleted iTunes and now full scan will not load.

Kudos0

Same here. Custom scan runs OK also.

Kudos0

Same here! I can run a Drives scan in addition to the Quick Scan, but Full Scan starts initializing and immediately stops with an error. After closing on the error, I cannot even start a full scan. It immediately goes back to the Scans screen. Fix this please or tell us how to roll back the .76 update.

Kudos0

Comment Promoted To: 

My problem is similar.  I am running the Norton 22.8.1.14 on Windows 10 machine.  It does the quick scan without issue.  When I try to run a full scan, It will never complete.  It just hangs there, the cpu under task manager show 0%, while memory show 15.4, and 0% on disk.  It actually looks like it get stuck on files.  I have attached a screen shot on this issue.

Kudos0

Kudos0

I am running the Norton 22.8.1.14 on 4 PCs with Windows 10 installed and the full scan does stuck at several different files. It never completes and spikes the CPU usage. It seems this version of NIS is buggy. The last succesfully completed scan was on 02.01.2017.

Kudos0

How long are you allowing the scan to run? It can take hours depending on how many files are on your computer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I let it run over 6 hours, and it still was stuck in the same position.  Finally decided to kill it since it never moved off of that file and just set there.

Kudos0

Stuck scans can often indicate physical problems with your hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

So far I disabled the automated system full scan because on my 4 PCs (3 Desktops with SSDs and 1 Notebook with an SSD) the scan gets stuck at different places. It is very unlikely, that the disks have physical problems. The scanning time is usually about 44 mins. on the desktops. I start the automated scan every Monday on 3:15 AM with the automated shutoff after scan completion. At about 9:45 AM the scan was not finished. I think an update to the product must have bugged the scanning behaviour.

Kudos0

@a-Coyote85 & SPaulovic:

Have you try scanning your system in Safe Mode? What's the scan result/time?

Plz perform the below steps to see if there's any improvements:

1. Customize your Norton:

a. Exclude some well-known applications (e.g., Apple's iTunes, Microsoft's Office, etc.), personal stuff like your downloaded movies, docs. To do so, gain the admin access, customize the "Items to Exclude from Scans" settings in the Antivirus section.

b. Turn off Compressed File Scan. Refer to the above image.

2. Clean system junk with CCleaner. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove any other foistware that you do not use/need. Optionally, scan your system using MBAM for any other hidden PUAs - learn how to prevent 'em from ruining your system here.

In the meantime, you may also give NPE a go. Read this KB for more troubleshooting tips. Additionally, clean system files (especially Service Pack backup files) with Disk Cleanup.

3. Temporarily disable fast startup in your Windows 10 or 8+ system.

If the above info does not help U out, give Norton Remove and Reinstall tool a go. Run LiveUpdate to get the most recent items installed. Remember to reboot your system to make those updates take effect. 

Plz feel free to keep us posted. Thx :)

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

I have done steps 1, and step 3.  I have scheduled it to execute tomorrow.  I will see if that fixes the problem.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.