• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Back up taking up 800GB of my 900GB Hard Drive!

I am so incredibly annoyed. For months I've been trying to figure out why my C Drive is blaring red at me. I have tried everything! It got to the point that I had to take all my stuff off my computer & put it on an external hard drive to be sure I didn't lose it, and then it got worse because I had to work from the external hard drive anytime I wanted to get anything done! Keep in mind I WORK on my computer every damn day! What a freaking pain in the ass! Nothing would even show up with WinDirStat which said I was only using 71GB - clearly that wasn't adding up to 800GB! Finally, I booted in safe mode & ran WinDirStat in stead of regular mode. There it was, Norton 350 Back up - 34,259 files = 91% of my hard drive! I have no idea how this happened but I can tell you I'm not a happy camper. I got this verson of Norton from Comcast by the way & for some reason it defaulted to the C drive. I mention that fact because I saw other places on here it was supposed to go to a "virtual drive" which doesn't take up any space....- yeah ok. Not. Anyway, I created a new system restore point on my actual system, disabled the Norton Back Up & I'm shredding the file! I'm posting this on here so Norton can fix it Number 1 & 2 so that no one else goes nuts trying to figure out this nonsense. It's every bit as annoying as a virus Norton! Ironic, don't you think? I'd post a .jpg of the screen shots I took of my Windows Explorer & from WinDirStat that shows 91% - but - oh yeah - I can't because Norton continues to be annoying for no apparent reason by only allowing pdf & txt.....

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Back up taking up 800GB of my 900GB Hard Drive!

AND to make matters even worse it's taking forever to shred, after an hour it's still only on file 418 of 34, 259 files...at this rate it will be done in 3.5 DAYS....omg I have to laugh at this point.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi Amz39.

Norton have backup to the C; drive set at a default option as they cannot know where you want to backup the data to.  The assumption is that you will look at the backup option to decide what you really want to back up and where you want to put it.  If you do not look at it or disable it then it makes a guess at what you want backed up and puts it on your C: drive.  Now that you have noted this you are free to tell Norton to back up to wherever you want.  But first I can understand that you want to get rid of the overly large backup on C:.  If this is still taking a long time you might like to try the following in the hope that it is a quicker way of clearing things down.

With the Norton Backup set to off (as you say you have done) open windows explorer.  Look at your C: drive, in the root of that you should see a folder N360_BACKUP.  Select that folder and hit delete, confirming the deletion if necessary.  That should get rid of it fairly quickly but at 800 GB it will probably still take a while.

Please note that if you re-activate the Norton backup but do not amend the "Where" part of the backup definition it will recreate a folder N360_BACKUP on your C: drive and start to fill it again...

You refer to a virtual drive.. I believe that this is the Norton Backup Drive which you should be able to see in Windows explorer.  This "drive" is a virtual drive and does take up no space, it just points to where the actual data is, and there it does take up space.  So I think that maybe you misunderstood the reference to a virtual drive.

I hope the above helps.  If anything is unclear then please free to say so and I will try again.

Mike
Kudos0

I find this a very interesting revelation, Andmike.

Does the default backup setting (if left unaltered) automatically exclude the newly "auto-created" backup storage area (folder content, being on the same volume) from subsequent backups (data sets) or does that area also get included in (added to) the subsequent backups?

Just curious - Thanks!

Kudos0

Hi avjohnnie.

I do not know.  That would require setting up a new installation and running it a few times, but I very much doubt it as I do not think that the folder N360_BACKUP would be included and the file extensions would also probably not match.

So I think not.

Mike
Kudos0

Thanks Andmike ...  (FWIW, I'd hope not too - meaning, that the new storage area would, in fact, not be included in future backups.  Thanks again for the clarification!  )

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.