• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 fails to backup

The DETAILS are "There is a backup problem. Make sure the destination drive or device is connected and then try again." 

Before I wiped my entire laptop, I was able to completely backup, using Norton 360.  I had it set to Automatic; weekly; to a 2 TB external Hard Drive (formatted NTFS).  I can copy files to this hard drive with no problems. I have run live update successfully and then tried backup again, but the backup operation still fails.  What can I try next? I do not have a disk with Norton 360 on it.

I used N360 to restore my computer almost completely to its previous state, with the backup function.  Since this restoration, I have not been able to perform a backup at all.  To adjust, I have made a complete backup using HP's pre-installed software but I would like to use Norton's instead.

I am not sure how big the backup should be, but I've run the Preview function from Norton 360 and it estimates 2GB (this seems small to me, though).

The backup drive is not always connected to my laptop.  It requires a USB 3.0 cable which is currently fully operational.  

Please Advise.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 fails to backup

Hello imagic5

Since you are having a problem with your backup function of N360, I am going to request that this thread be moved to Backup. They should be able to help you there. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi imagic5.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

Can I suggest that you look at this help page from Norton and see if it helps.  Do let us know either way.  If it does help it would be nice to know.  If it does not we can see if we have some other ideas that might.  

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Mike
Kudos0

Thanks Mike, 

But unfortunately the help page that your link brought me to did not solve my problem.  

It is a simple set of instructions on how to run Norton 360's Backup function.  I have successfully used Norton's backup before, as I've pointed out in comment, and while these are a very good set of straightforward instructions, my problem is not concerning how to correctly use Norton 360 Backup.  Instead, I want to know why I continuously get an error that says "There is a backup problem.  Make sure the destination drive or device is connected and then try again."  
But my destination backup device is indeed connected.  I understand all of the instructions and I have made sure that my "Where" is set to the destination drive.  

I really cannot figure out why I keep receiving this error message.

I will likely chat with a representative of Norton and allow them remote access to my laptop, in an effort to assist me.

Thank you.

Kudos1 Stats

Hello imagic5

If your destination location is an external hard drive, it is possible that the hard drive is failing or that it has some bad sectors in it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Floplot your statement made me think about the quality of the hard drive.  It is a relatively brand new piece of equipment - a WD My Passport Ultra that I just bought mint from Amazon a couple of months ago.  Even still, when I went through the folders I found a folder titled N360_Backup, and I wasn't allowed to open it without Admin access, so I clicked Continue and it opened. 
From that point on, I've had complete access of the drive and Norton 360 Backup is working again.

Thank you for all your help and patience, people of the forum.

Kudos0

Hello imagic5

I'm glad that you figured out what the solution was to your problem. It appears that you have to be logged on as admin to run your backup. Thanks for coming back and marking your thread as solved. Now others with a similar problem will know how to solve it.

Kudos0

I'm having a very similar problem to magic5. I have a 2 TB WD My Passport Ultra that I have used for Norton backups up until 3/3/2015, then all of a sudden I get that error every time I try to run a backup. I am signed on as Admin. I'm out of ideas.

Kudos0

Hi LindaLou74.

Welcome to the Norton Community Forums.

Have you looked at the link I suggested above, and tried what is suggested there?

How much space is there left on your backup drive?

Mike
Kudos0

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. I looked at the link, and I have the backup setup done correctly as far as I can tell, and it was backing up successfully up until the end of March. I have 1.44 TB of free space on my external drive that I'm trying to back up to.

Linda

Kudos0

Linda, please double click the N360_Backup folder on your Passport and tell us if your able to access the folder and some of the subfolders.

Dave

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.