• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Identity Safe Local & online

How can I get the option to have identity safe, LOCAL AND ONLINE in NORTON 360.

What happens if there is a problem with Symantec (Norton) Server.??? Which has happen in the past.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton 360 Identity Safe Local & online

Hi,

1) If you already have a local vault then you can continue using it with 20.x product.

2) If you want to use Online vault also, then run a Export operation of your local vault and save it in a DAT file.

2.1) Click "Vault Open" Tool Bar from browser and click "Vault Closed" link.

2.2) Click "Log in to Norton Account" from "Open Vault" UI.

2.3) Login to your Norton Account and create a strong vault password.

2.4) Import the DAT which we exported earlier.

Now you have both Local and Online Vault in your machine.

New data (Logins, Cards, Notes") which you will add will be stored in the vault which you are currently logged in.

Kudos0

I have had to do a new install of windows 7, and Norton 360, I have no option for Local, only online, how can I fix that????

Help

Kudos0

Hi,

With 20.X products (NIS/N360) you can't create new Local Vault.

But if you have a local vault created with NIS/N360 19.X products the you can use them in 20.X products.

Kudos0

I am having a very similar problem so I decided to post here instead of creating a new thread.  I have been a happy user of NIS and NIV for many years.  Today I updated and created a cloud account.  Now my local data is GONE!  I see no option for logging into my local vault and I can't find my login data.  Win7 64.  Yes, I have a backup, but it is several months old.  Having seen how the cloud actually works, I have to say that I would rather just go back to my local vault, please. 

Thank you,

Lee McIntire

Kudos0

So what will happen if I cannot get online my Norton account??

I have a norton 360 v4 would that do??

If not how can I get a 19.X product??

As this Machine is a Windows 7 64bt is a clean install,

How can I remove all my nortons/symantec Products, so can install my old 360 v4 to get my Local Identity Safe back, and then reinstall my new version with Norton ghost 15

Kudos0

Hi Lee,

Ihave responded to your other post - thanks for starting a new thread and please let's keep your situation in that thread so as not to hijack sayer's thread and also to get you the best possible help with out confuising the two issues.

Kudos1 Stats

Hi sayer,

A few suggestions first - do not install 360 V 4, you'll be running LiveUpdate from now until the cows come home!

I hope you do not have Ghost 15 installed yet - that willsave you from removing and reinstalling it.

You can revert back to N 360 V 6 (aka 19.x product by doing the following:

You can go back to N 360 version 6 (2012) by following these instructions. Then when you think 2013 has been updated enough for you, you can allow the upgrade.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here www.norton.com/nrt

Please let us know how this goes.  Also if you decide to upgrade to N 360 v20

Download N 360 for the edition you are running
http://www.norton.com/n360s_6

http://www.norton.com/n360p_6

If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Do this in CSV format

Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.

Reboot.

Run the Norton Removal Tool.

Reboot.

Run the N 360 download..

Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until LiveUpdate responds "no updates found".

If you use Identity Safe, try to log in. If it works you are done. If it does not, import your Identity Safe data.

Be sure to go into Settings > Administrative Settings > and turn off the option for Automatic Download of New Version.

Please let us know how this goes.

Once you have revertted andhave your Local Vault back, we can tell you how to upgrade to the latest N 360 v 20 and retain the Local Vault.

Kudos0

Just tried that, BUT it will not install copy of passwords.

What now??

How can I get both typies Offline & online Passwords

and import my passwords

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

Please tell us what "that" is? 

The entire instructions I presented? 

The Import portion? 

Exactly what did you try and the exact results would be most helpful - remember we can not see your system.

Kudos0

Thanks for coming back, I followed your instructions to the letter.

I removed N360 Premier and Norton Ghost 15 then used Norton Removal tool

I then installed N 360 Premier V 6.

The problem then, was when I tried to import my data which was in a DAT format it would not except it.

So I then removed all entries again and waited for your reply.

I hope I can save from my other machine, all the data in an CSV format.

If I can that will complete my local vault.

Then I will need instruction on what to do with V 20  so that I end up with the option of local and online vault like my other machine.

Also  is there any settings that have to be changed on my Norton account?

How's best to update local and online passwords.

Hope that's enough info.

Kudos0

I do believe I asked you to use the CSV format to Export in my instuctions, because some of us fond out the hard way that it would not Import in DAt format when going fro v 20 back to the 2012 product. 

If you have not done it already, I would suggest waiting util  have lal this straightened out prior to rinsatll Ghost - just in case we need to run th NRT again.

You can try Exporting in CSV format from your other system, saving to a USB drive and then connect it to your "problem system" and try to Import the data.

Let's get your local vault back in N 360 v 19 (2012) prior to upgrading to v 20 and retaintaining the Local Vault.

Also if you get the logins imported - do you now have a Local and an Online vault?

Kudos0

OK.

I have now installed N360 V19 again.

I agree you did say CSV format and that works!!.

So I have all my local passwords back, (but no facilities for online passwords).

Also under settings option for automatic download is still turned off.

So what next? Is there any settings that are at Norton end?

So what do I do next, to upgrade to V20, so I have local and online passwords on both machines.

I am sure there is a box to synchronize my computers?(what do I do?) 

Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

I am heading out to the door to a doc's appointment - please whatever you do, do NOT touch the Syn data online setting - it will cause you to move your local vault to online and get rid of your local vault.  I'll get back to your later - unless someone else jumps in and helps you.

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

Since you are on N 360  V19, let's try to set up an Online Vault on it without losing the Local Vault.  I have upgraded to the V 20 (from V 19) keeping both an Online and a Local Vault.  I think it might be easier to add the Online Vault with V 19 and then carry both forward to V20.  At least this way if anything does go a stray, we still have V19 installed and can recreate your Local Vault.

First thing I want you to make sure you have exported a copy of your ID Safe Data - please Export it in both DAT and CSV format so that you can use either format if need be.

We will be doing everything on your V 19 install of N 360 - so Go to Settings > Identity Protcetion > and click on the at the top of the page opposite Identity Safe> on the next page ti will explain the different settings for ID Safe.  You will be cioncerned with the Identity Safe Setup one - specifically, you'll need to log into your Norton Account and then select

Configuring Identity Safe settings in the bottom of that block.

On the next page you will setup your Online vault .

Click on the Configure link next to the Identity Safe Setup options. This action launches the Set Up

Identity Safe wizard.

On the SetUpIdentity Safe dialog, you have the option to create an online vault. Click Login to Norton

Account to log on to your Norton Account. The LogintoNortonAccount dialog lets you create a Norton

Account if you don't have any.

Logging on to your Norton Account adds the Store information online through your Norton Account

option to the Set Up Identity Safe dialog.

Provide the password and a password hint for the new Identity Safe profile, and do the following:

■ Select the Store information online through your Norton Account option if you want to create an

online vault.

Click  Create

When you create an online vault, then the Set Up Identity Safe wizard provides the EULA page. Read the

EULA and click Agree.

The Identify Safe Setup Successful! page is the last page of the wizard. and it provides you with the

Import my logins from Internet Explorer option. The option is selected by default and lets you save all

the logins that you previously saved in the Internet Explorer database to the Identity Safe profile.

Click Done

If all works as advertised, you should now have both an Online and a Local Vault with your log-ins in each one.  There will be a change in how you log-in also:

You will have to select the Online Vault or the Local Vault, and then use the correct password for each one and also youhave to be logged into your Norton Acount in order to log into the Online Vault.  This will give you an idea of the options available.  If you have any questions ask us!

As I said before - do not select the Sync Data Online - it'll wipe out your local vault.

Once you get through all this and have your Local and Online Vault setup and all the logins present let me know and we'll go to the V20 and keep both your online and local vault.

If you run into any situation that you are not usre of or confused about, plese stop and ask.

Good luck!

Kudos0

Hi,please see below,

(First thing I want you to make sure you have exported a copy of your ID Safe Data - please Export it in both DAT and CSV format so that you can use either format if need be)

You can transfer a copy of your Passwords in a CSV format, from your N360 V20.3.0.36 (Other Machine) to  N360 v19 machine only.(NO.DAT file)

You can backup on N360 v19 in both CSV & DAT format & restore.

You can restore to N360 20.3.0.36 in both CSV & DAT format, from N360 V19(Other Machine)

IS this OK??

Kudos0

I am now lost, cannot find this,

Setup one - specifically, you'll need to log into your Norton Account and then select

Configuring Identity Safe settings in the bottom of that block.

Click on the Configure link next to the Identity Safe Setup options. This action launches the Set Up

Identity Safe wizard.

HELP Please

Kudos0

sayer wrote:

Hi,please see below,

(First thing I want you to make sure you have exported a copy of your ID Safe Data - please Export it in both DAT and CSV format so that you can use either format if need be)

You can transfer a copy of your Passwords in a CSV format, from your N360 V20.3.0.36 (Other Machine) to  N360 v19 machine only.(NO.DAT file)  True

You can backup on N360 v19 in both CSV & DAT format & restore. True - for the DAT exported from V19.

You can restore to N360 20.3.0.36 in both CSV & DAT format, from N360 V19(Other Machine) True

IS this OK?? Yes, as noted above.

I asked for you to Export in both formats, so that if anything went wrong (with either system) you would have the capability to import into either system.  It was a cover your rearend move.  with both formats available you can go either direction - using the correct format.  Hope I didn't confuse you.

Kudos0

sayer wrote:

I am now lost, cannot find this,

Setup one - specifically, you'll need to log into your Norton Account and then select

Configuring Identity Safe settings in the bottom of that block.

I said: "You will be cioncerned with the Identity Safe Setup one (I was referring to the ID Safe Setup Block, Square, Step - whatever you want to call it) - specifically, you'll need to log into your Norton Account and then select  Configuring Identity Safe settings in the bottom of that block.  The last part of the comment was just telling you to follow the link.  There is really no action invloved in this part of my respnse - other than clicking the link.

I was referring to the "next page" that will open when you click on the above link  Configuring Identity Safe settings

The underlined purple writting is a clickable link - when pointing at it with your mouse cursor - it should turn into a pointing finger and clicking it will take you to the "next page">

Identity Safe wizard This  Configure[+] is found  at Settings > Identity Protection > Identity Safe Setup.  I guess I got ahead of myself and forgot to tell you to go to that settings page

HELP Please

Now that I answered all that for you - it apears the Configuring ID Safe Settings link has turned a error 404.

You can still follow the instructions I have provided without going to that link, so thanks for coming back with your questions - any more questions, stop and give me a shout and we'll go from there.

Kudos0

SO what now??

Please attachment

Also I may need to change my Passwords to Login, Help??

[Edit: Removing personally identifiable information to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

First of all I have asked a mod to either remove you image, or block off your user name for privacy reasons.  You may notice in my image I blocked out my User Name for my Norton accoutn before postng it.  You can not edit your post as it's been osted over an hour - so I asked the mod to do it.

I do believe the reason for that response is because your Norton account shows that your upgraded to the 2013 porduct and still have it installed on your other system.  Although I am not sure as I have NIS 2012 on my laptop and NIS 2013 on my desktop - both with online and local vaults.

I am going to ask for assistance from an employee who is more knowledgeable in a situation like this than I am and has helped out before.  Please be patient until they respond.

I hope you still have your other system that you can use in the mean time.  Sorry we hit this wall - please be patient.

<edit>  I have requested assistance - not sure when they'll get my PM - but please continue to monitor this thread and again I do apologize for the delay - but I'd rather try to get it right the first time than have to try something all over again.

Kudos0

Hi Sayer,

The problem now is, you are trying to login to an Online vault which was created using 2013 product version, which is not allowed. You cannot use the vault created on 2013 machine in your 2012 machine but the vice-versa is possible as the technical specifications of the vault vary from 2012 to 2013.

So now the way out for you is, delete the vault associated with this Norton Account(but take a backup of the data if you have not done it before) by logging to this vault from a machine which has 2013 product installed and then you will be allowed to create a new vault in your 2012 machine and export the CSV file to your vault and now you will have both local and online vaults - Do this only if you are planning to continue to be in 2012 product in one machine and 2013 product in another machine

Instead if you are ready to move to the latest version on both the machines(
at any case), just install the 2012 product on both of your machines, create local vault on both and immediately upgrade to 2013 product version on both the machines. Now if you are trying to login to your existing Online vault, you will not see any error thrown to you and you can have both local and online vaults on both the machines with latest product version.

Let us know if you still have issues.

Regards,

Prasanna

Kudos0

(First of all I have asked a mod to either remove you image, or block off your user name for privacy reasons.  You may notice in my image I blocked out my User Name for my Norton account before postng it.  You can not edit your post as it's been osted over an hour - so I asked the mod to do it)

My fault, I will remember that

I was more looking at error message in horror

I think it is still there???

So how can I remove it??.

Kudos0

sayer wrote:

(First of all I have asked a mod to either remove you image, or block off your user name for privacy reasons.  You may notice in my image I blocked out my User Name for my Norton account before postng it.  You can not edit your post as it's been osted over an hour - so I asked the mod to do it)

My fault, I will remember that

I was more looking at error message in horror

I think it is still there???

So how can I remove it??.

I am not sure - can you modify the PDF file yourself that the link goes to?

Kudos0

So what is the best way to do this, AS I have Norton Ghost 15 on both machines???

Backup Passwords

Remove N360 v20, plus Ghost 15, use removal tool.

Install N360 v19 set up new Passwords with Local & Online Vault, so that both machines are the same running N360 v19

Then somehow upgrade to V20 on both Machines so I have Local Vault & Online

Am I right.?

Kudos0

sayer wrote:

So what is the best way to do this, AS I have Norton Ghost 15 on both machines???

Backup Passwords

Remove N360 v20, plus Ghost 15, use removal tool.

Install N360 v19 set up new Passwords with Local & Online Vault, so that both machines are the same running N360 v19

Then somehow upgrade to V20 on both Machines so I have Local Vault & Online

Am I right.?

Hi sayer,

Yes,  that sounds like the route to go - but remember, you already  have one system on V 19, so you only have to do the removal on your v 20 system.

Please let us know when you have both system on v19 with working Online and Local Vaults - we'll go for theupgrde after you reach that point.

Kudos1 Stats

One word of caution, if you have multiple accounts on your PC you need to create a local identity safe on all accounts prior to upgrading to 20.x or higher.

Followed "Super Work Eliminator's" instructions and once I created a local IDS for all accounts all worked as expected.

Just hate that Symantec no longer listens to their customers who want a local safe.

The pains and hassles they make us go through is horrendous.

Hopefully enough will complain or jump ship and that the upgrade to 2014 fully supports local IDS. 

If they abdondon it completely, I like many others will abandon this product.

Thanks to this community for helping me get a local IDS with N360 2013.    Couldn't have done it without the community. 

Support was no help at all with the constant replies that local IDS is not supported in 2013.

Yet another great product trashed by Symantec.

Kudos0

I have just started to fix norton 360 see all notes above!!!

HELP Please

I cannot get past this.

I need to remove my OLD Online line Identity Safe Account.

As I keep getting this Message. Your profile was upgraded on different machine tou must install the latest version.

Both machines are now on 360 V6

Kudos0

Sorry not to come back before, this as due to ill health

I am in a mess,

Both machines are now running on Norton 360 v6.

On one machine I have both Local & online Passwords.

When I do the same thing on the 2 machine I can get Local Passwords, but when I try to get online  line passwords I find it blank, if you then go back to fist machine they have all gone.

What am I doing wrong??????

How can I delete the online vault and start again???

HELP PLEASE

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

Hope the health has improved and stays that way.

I believe that at this point in time you need to try to log into your online vault on your 2 system, click on Vault Open Settings > and Import your passwords into your online vault from the CSV backup you created on the system that was running the 2013 version.

Hopefully this will get us closer to your eventually goal of getting up to 2013 with both Online and Local Vaults. 

Kudos0

You cannot set up 2 Machine for online passwords

You can set up your first Machine OK with Locil & online Passwords

If you try to set up Online Passwords on the 2 Machine it removes the first Machine Details for online Passwords.

You can only get one Machine for online Passwords.

I am at a loss what to do next??

Kudos0

Theoretically, I would think if you already have an online accoutn set up for your Norton Account and are loged into your Norton Acount when you attempt to Open Vault on your second system there shojld be an option there to log into youe Local or your Online vault.

Kudos0

As I said before,

You cannot set up 2 Machine for online passwords

You can set up your first Machine OK with Local & online Passwords

If you try to set up Online Passwords on the 2 Machine it removes the first Machine Details for online Passwords.

You can only get one Machine for online Passwords.

THIS IS MY FIX

Make sure both machines are on Norton 360 v6

Then setup 1 Machine vault, for Local & online and install Passwords

Setup 2 Machine vault for Local only and install Passwords.

Then install newer version of Norton 360 v7 on 1 Machine, you will have both vaults available.

Then install newer version of Norton 360 v7 on 2 Machine, you then have to synchronize that machine for online vault and then Both vaults will be available.

I have used this for the past few day's, and it works.

Kudos0

Hi sayer,

That is all well and good that you got it to work - per your instructions, but please elaborate on the "you then have to synchronize that machine for online vault".

The reason I ask you to do this is because of the following from the Help section.  I have seen too many users click on this option and lose their Local Vaults which they just worked hard at retaining.

Sync Data Online

Lets you move your Identity Safe data that you stored in your local vault to online vault.

When you sync your Identity Safe data from local vault to online vault, the data in the local vault is permanently removed.

Kudos0

I agree do not do that "When you sync your Identity Safe data from local vault to online vault, the data in the local vault is  permanently removed"

Remember I am running 2 Machines 1st one has Local and Online Vault with all passwords in it, I then upgraded to V7.

This only happen on 2 Machine, as you did not have online Vault when you upgraded to v7.

V7 has a new type of login Box, it will ask you, do you want to Login to your Norton Account, so you could synchronize your  machine for online vault.

Does that help?

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.