• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 local Vault Missing

This is weird.. My Local Vault seems to be missing.. When I click on the Login Assistant it asked me to create a new vault or login to online vault. .. Tried logging in and it does not work..Tried Live Update..Tried I.E.. Same result.. I am still smart enough to know to keep all of my passwords in a file on my local computer but this was so convenient. I also had problems logging into my AT&T account last week. Wierd...

Any Ideas of how I can get my local Vault Back without having to create a new one which is what the program seems to be asking me ?

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK3

NORTON 360 20.20.19

FIREFOX  17.0.1

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 local Vault Missing

This is weird.. My Local Vault seems to be missing.. When I click on the Login Assistant it asked me to create a new vault or login to online vault. .. Tried logging in and it does not work..Tried Live Update..Tried I.E.. Same result.. I am still smart enough to know to keep all of my passwords in a file on my local computer but this was so convenient. I also had problems logging into my AT&T account last week. Wierd...

Any Ideas of how I can get my local Vault Back without having to create a new one which is what the program seems to be asking me ?

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK3

NORTON 360 20.20.19

FIREFOX  17.0.1

Kudos0

Hi OldComputerGeek,

The Local Vault is no longer included in the 2013 (version 20) Norton products. Now it's the Online Vault only. If you do an 'Over the Top' upgrade, (don't uninstall 2012 product, but install 2013 product over it), you can retain the Local Vault in your 2013 product. Doing a Clean Install of a 2013 product will contain the Online Vault only.

Some users have rolled back to their 2012 versions, created a Local Vault, then did the Over the Top upgrade, in order to have a Local Vault option in their 2013 product.

Click this link for users also having trouble at the AT&T website ... att.com login quit working with ID Safe

Edit: Click this link for additional information on the vault situation. Pay special attention to the paragraph Local vs. Online Vaults ... Symantec, Please Explain

Ed

Kudos0

Ok Thanks for your help.. However I have some questions because what you are asking I do not quite understand.

(1).  Are you saying that my local vault is now online ? Or is it still somewhere on my computer ?
(2).  When Norton decided to change to the online vault did it get uploaded online ?
(3).  I have the retail version of Norton 360 so are u saying that I should Install it on top of Norton 2013 ? Or should I go to my account online download it and install that one on top of what's on my computer ?
(4).  If I do what you are suggesting, it appears to me that I have still lost my local vault and will have to create a new one which still sucks.

Please give me the roll back instructions, if I am not fully understanding.

Thanks again.

Kudos0

FWIW, I have recently installed NIS 2013 – NIS 2012 has never been installed on this computer – and I have a Local Vault; no Online Vault is accessible. The file IDDStor2.dat is stored in a sub-folder in C:\ProgramData\Norton.

The difference must be that I have a localized version of NIS distributed my my ISP. I understand a “normal” NIS app has these options in the top menu: Settings | Performance | Feedback | Account |Support. My system lacks the options Feedback and Account.

Perhaps I live in the stone age, but I am glad I have a LOCAL vault. I shall never trust my sensitive information to a file in the cloud...

The NIS vault is an adequate PW solution, but I guess I shall continue to use my external password manager; it works great with NIS.

NS Deluxe / NS Online - Win10 // NMS on Android phones.
Kudos1 Stats

OldComputerGeek wrote:

Ok Thanks for your help.. However I have some questions because what you are asking I do not quite understand.

(1).  Are you saying that my local vault is now online ? Or is it still somewhere on my computer ?
(2).  When Norton decided to change to the online vault did it get uploaded online ?
(3).  I have the retail version of Norton 360 so are u saying that I should Install it on top of Norton 2013 ? Or should I go to my account online download it and install that one on top of what's on my computer ?
(4).  If I do what you are suggesting, it appears to me that I have still lost my local vault and will have to create a new one which still sucks.

Please give me the roll back instructions, if I am not fully understanding.

Thanks again.

From one old geek to another,
If you are still using the 2012 version you have the local vault.

There was no automatic upload of the local vault to the online vault. That must be done by the user.

If you install the new version [v20] over the old version [v19.x] you will retain your local vault and have an online vault available. If you are already using the new version [v20.x] you may have only the online vault available. That will depend on how you installed it.

Before doing anything be sure to make a backup of your identity safe data.

I haven't tried this so I make no promises. If you run the NOrton Removal Tool

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

It should remove all things Norton from your system. After rebooting you can then install the 2012 [v19.x] version and run live update until you have all of the updates downloaded and installed. You should then be able to recreate your local vault and import your usernames and passwords from your backup.

At some point you are going to lose your local vault so you might want to upload your data to the online vault. If you do not plan to use the online vault I would recommend that you do some research and find yourself a good password keeper and switch to that program to keep your data local.

Keep us posted

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

Hi OldComputerGeek,

Perhaps my age is also showing - but in your inital post you said you have N 360 version 20.20.19 which I assume is a typo and is really 20.2.0.19)  Is that correct?  If it is correct, it appears you are saying can not log into your ID Safe Vault. True?

I ask as there appears to be some confusion in this thread in regards to you using NIS?

Have you ever made a backup (Exported) your ID safe data?

You said: "Please give me the roll back instructions," - we can handle that - once we know if you have that backup of your ID Safe or not and also please tell usif you are using the N 360 Standard edition or the Premiere edition.

Kudos0

Thanks Yank.,....

Your assumption is correct.. I am using 20.2.0.19. .......   Believe it or not I am now able for some reason to log into the online vault.   I forgot I must have made an online vault a few months ago because some of the passwords are incorrect.... However;  I do not like having my passwords in the cloud.   Yes I have made a backup (Exported) my ID safe data before but it was rather old and has since been deleted since I change my passwords often there was no need to keep it.  I am running Dual PC's.. I only used it to import to another PC I am using.   I have always keep my passwords on my computer in text file so they can easily be changed whenever I desire and I can make sure that I am not using the same password for different websites.   Since the online Vault is working that tells me that It did not update the online vault  from my computer whenever Norton made the change.  How sad...

I will assume the Norton 360 I am using is the standard Edition since it was so cheap and I have not found anything on my PC or in my online account that says otherwise and besides I don't think I have ever used Premier before. I would be very very curious as to what the differences are. mmmmmmmmmmm. anyway.

Thanks Again..

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

The difference between Premiere and Standard is that you get 25 GB of Online Storage for Backup with the Premiere and only 2 GB with the Standard.  As I see it, you are paying more for the extra online storage space.

Since you are using version 20 of N 360, please Export your ID Safe data in both DAT and CSV format.  The CSV format is the only format that is backwards compatible in case you decide to go back to version 6 (the product with the Local vault).

You are welcome and you know where to find us if you decide to revert for the Local Vault.

Kudos0

Thanks for Enlightening me on the Differences between  Premiere and Standard.. Now I know why I never used Premiere because even in my current Norton 360 I have the backup disabled.  I like a lot of people do not like keeping my files, passwords in the clouds.   I always do a disk image backup to an external drive for safe keeping. Anyway.

I am considering after my subscription expires in a few months of getting ride of Norton 360 because I am beginning not to like it very much and that would be a shame since I have been an dedicated user of Symantec products for over 12 years.  They really do need to consider how many customers they will lose from just the online vault mess they have created.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.