• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton 360 Version 22.5.0.124

My Norton 360 updated this morning to the version noted above. In my previous version I could run REGISTRY CLEANUP, could somebody please tell me to do this in the latest update (Version 22.5.0.124).  If this is not available an explanation why Registry Cleanup is not included would be appreciated, I have used this facility over the last few years and found it to be a very useful tool.

BrianC

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Version 22.5.0.124

hi Brian

When Norton introduced Norton Security (NS) and Norton Security with Backup (NSwB) last year it removed the Registry scanner in addition to the Network Map at the same time changed the way that anti-virus protection and detection is provided.

The new update to Norton 360 (N360) has brought it line with the new products mentioned above and removed the Registry scanner. I don't know the reason for Norton doing this although the full answer may be in one of the other forum posts. Some people are disappointed by the removal however, some welcome it as opinion is divided as to whether using such tools is safe or serve any useful purpose particularly with Windows Vista, 7 and indeed 8.

If you want to be able to use such software there are various options available both for free and payment.

Michael 

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Thanks for your reply.

I find it rather strange that having used Norton's NRnR-Shortcut twice in June 2015 to re-install Norton 360 on my Windows 7 laptop, the June 2015 version downloaded included REGISTRY CLEANUP! which I have used each weekend when doing my normal backup routine etc.

Your comment about "Norton Security (NS) and Norton Security with Backup (NSwB) last year it removed the Registry scanner" surprises me because today is the first time I have not been able to use the registry cleanup tool!  What can I do to get back to the Norton system I had up to last night? Should/can I download the version I was happy with or is that not available anymore?  I am not aware of receiving any information from Norton about proposed changes to their Norton 360 software and feeling quite frustrated by todays experience.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

When Norton changed it's products last year the existing products (NAV/NIS/N360) did not change, currently it is still possible to renew and in a limited number of places still purchase these previous products. Norton will continue to support these products for the time being. No doubt in the future this will not be possible. The recent update to v22.5.0.124 has made the older Norton products much like the new (NS/NSwB).

If you want to return to the previous version of N360 perhaps it would be helpful to look at this thread rather than for me to explain it as you do need to follow certain steps to avoid Norton updating again:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/go-back-v-21

Hopefully this will be what you are looking for and be of help.

Michael

Kudos0

Hi CurtisB48,

Registry Cleanup was removed per Norton:

"Registry Cleanup was not widely used by our customers through NSBU, so we have removed this feature. Customers can still get an effective registry cleanup through our Norton Utilities product. "

You can attempt to return to your former install of N360 using the following download link:

http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2014/21.6/N360/US/N360-ESD-21.6.0.32-EN.exe

Important---Immediately disable Automatic Download of New Version. After doing this, then you can run live update and restart. Please go over the other settings to see if any have changed.

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it to see what is involved to go back to my previous version. If I do go back to my previous version and disable the Automatic Download of New Version and my computer crashes (which has happened a few times this year) it is possible that I will have to reinstall and use the latest Norton 360 version. Will my registry have files/records in it that will need removal/attention? my knowledge about changing registry settings is nil and if any change is needed I will need help to make changes. Any thoughts o this would be most welcomed.

Brian

Kudos0

Hello Yank

Thanks for your reply, my response above to Michael gives my current thinking about reinstalling Norton 360 and possible registry problems. Any comments from you would also be most welcomed.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

I have not had any major problems with the new version of N360 so have not read fully all the posts on the issue as they are too numerous.

I see many users feel that new versions of Norton can be installed over existing installs however, in the past it was and still is at times recommended that you should use the windows Control Panel then run the Norton Removal Tool before reinstalling Norton so that the installation is fresh. I have nearly always carried out installations by this method.

Playing around with the Registry is never a good idea unless you have the proper knowledge, I would not try this myself.

Michael

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Thanks for your reply, when reinstalling Norton 360 I have used Norton's NRnR-Shortcut download tool to remove and install Norton. The first time I needed to reinstall Norton 360 (about 2 years ago) I removed Norton by using windows Control Panel, then signed into my Norton account to download Norton 360, Norton then used one of my available seats (my subscription is for use up to 3 computers) which then left one available which is the reason for me using the above shortcut to reinstall when needed. Having checked my "Programs and Features" in my windows Control Panel I do not have Norton Removal Tool, is this a program that can be downloaded from Norton?

I have never looked at my Registry and do not intend to either having read about people changing settings and not being able to use their computer. When I have needed help my computer is taken to the shop where it came from for them to fix any problems, rather pay to get things done properly by those who know what they are doing.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

I have not used the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool so I don't know exactly how it works. The method I often use is to go to the Control Panel then uninstall a program to firstly uninstall N360 then run the Norton Removal Tool you can download the Tool from the following link:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

As said earlier there are different opinions as to how to do things but at least this method it gives as fresh a reinstall as possible. It will ask you if you are going to reinstall a Norton product and will ask if you would like to save your current settings, you will probably wish to click yes.

When you visit your Norton Account under Services it would be as well to delete the current installation and the previous one if you only have Norton installed on one device as it is not good at keeping an accurate record of your installs so that you can use them for other devices.

If you download from the Account you will receive the latest version of your Norton product so if you want to revert to the previous version use the method mentioned in my previous post or indeed the one Yank gave you.

I tend to try "belt and braces" with my computers as it seems to work for me and almost never have the difficulties so many others seem to have.

What I have posted is only an opinion which I have already mentioned others will differ so in the end it is completely upto you what you do and feel most comfortable with.

If you run into any difficulties just come to the forum and there are many people willing to help, most of us are ordinary users who will not be able to solve everything but there is a huge range of experience and some very competent people.

Michael 

Kudos1 Stats

Good morning (here) Brian,

A couple of comments:

•  you do not want to use the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, as that will remove your current install and reinstall the most current version - the one you are trying NOT to keep.
  • Also the same version (most current) will be installed if you use a download from your Norton Account.
  • An over the top install using the link I provided will not work because it will respond that "a newer version is installed" - or something to that effect.
  • What Michael said about using your Norton Account to correct the number of installations is good info.  Once you get back on the version you desire, we will assist you with the correction of the number of installs.
  • From your comments, I agree - do not mess with the registry, the Norton Removal Tool will remove enough of the entries in order to give you a clean install - although not everyone will agree with me!

Now, in my opinion, I agree with Michael as to how to proceed in your situation:

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of N360

Please remove the copy of N360 (v22.5.124) you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via Add/Remove or Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool once and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?do...

Download a fresh copy of N360 from here:
http://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/2014/21.6/N360/US/N360-ESD-21.6.0.32-EN.exe

Once installation is complete, Important---Immediately disable Automatic Download of New Version. After doing this, then you can open N360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds with the specific words of "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Now, please go over the other settings to see if any have changed. I suggest this as some of the setting in this version were removed in v22.5.124

Once totally updated, don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data, if not already present.

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Hello Yank & Michael.

Yank.

I tried the first link in your email of 6 July and received "Document Unavailable" with a table for older? versions which I did not understand, so I did not go any further.  The second link 2014/21.6/N360/US/N360-ESD-21.6.. was wanting to run numerous Live Updates back to June 2014? after about 30 minutes with very little happening I gave up (my broadband where I live in England is extremely slow and would have taken many hours to download). Thanks for trying to help.

Michael.

I tried removing Norton 360 from my computer using Control Panel but it did not work, I then downloaded your link for the Norton Removal Tool which worked and removed all traces of Norton from my computer, it also removed Registry items. Having successfully removed Norton 360 I went to my Norton Account to download the latest version which was successful.

However, I am not sure if this is a common problem when I open "Performance" and select "Startup Manager" there are no startup files displayed! my old version would show sixteen programs, one to open on startup and the remainder as delayed startups. If this is not normal could you please let me know what I should do to get these programs showing. 

I did all of the above yesterday afternoon and assumed that today when logging onto my computer all startup programs would appear.

The reason why I eventually chose to download the latest Norton 360 was my preference to always have the latest version and updates on my computer. I may changed to a different Norton product when my subscription expires January 2016 and may come back and get advice about what to buy, while looking at my Account in the Services section and it shows "1 of 3 seats used. Device Name BRIAN. First installation 1/16/2011".

Many thanks to both of you for the help you have given to me.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

I don't understand why you could not uninstall Norton via the Control Panel perhaps, I didn't go far enough to explain, sorry. It's just like uninstalling any program.

I think when you look at the start-up programs your computer has to communicate with the Norton servers to obtain the Insight information that it gives. If it cannot connect with the servers it will not show anything perhaps when you check again it will show properly. I have had the odd occasion that they do not show but in the new version of N360 it shows nothing whereas in the old version the programs showed up but the information sometimes either took a long time to show or not appear at all. Perhaps you should make sure you manually carry out a few Live updates and restart your computer to make sure everything works properly. I would not carry out a manual full scan of your computer for a couple of days. The new version seems to settle down a little better after a few days.

Now you have the new version of N360 it is much the same as Norton Security with Backup (NSwB), the main exception that you can only use N360 with a pc, laptop or Windows tablet for upto 3 devices. With NSwB you can use it on upto 10 devices including Apple, Android and smartphones.

Price wise at the present time I have been able to buy NSwB for £29.99 and was offered renewal of N360 at the same cost.

Michael 

Kudos0

Hello Curtis

I thought at first that you were unhappy with the new version of N360 that you received which was 22.5.0.124. You asked how to go back to the version which you had. yank told you how to do it. Then you used the removal tool to remove N360 completely and went to your Norton Account and downloaded N360 again which gave you once more version 22.5.0.124

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hello Michael

No need to apologise about uninstalling Norton using Control Panel, I think the reason it did not uninstall for me was probably because I first followed Yank's method which I decided to abort after about 30 minutes of little activity and then used your method.

I will/have followed your advice about carrying out a few Live Updates manually and restart my computer and give Norton a few days to settle down. I normally run a manual full scan at the end of each month, I will not do any manual scans for the next few weeks to see if this helps things.

Every thing with the exception of Startup Manager appears to be working properly, so I will see what happens during the coming week and hopefully Startup manager will begin to work.

Thanks for the information about the cost of Norton, my current subscription expires in January 2016 at which time I will decide what to use.

Thanks for all your help.

Brian 

Kudos0

Hello Guru

I was originally unhappy about what happened to my Norton 360. if you read all my communications with both Yank and Michael it will become obvious to you why I downloaded the latest version of Norton 360.

I have been using Norton since 3 January 2011 and renewed my subscription each year, however, this year has been the worst experience I have ever had with Norton and I am seriously considering not renew my upcoming subscription in 2016, to me the Norton product is no longer the best available.

Brian

p.s. Why have you chosen to become involved with this now everything with the exception of Startup Manager is up and running and working?

Kudos0

hi Brian

Sorry I don't understand why the Start-up Manager is not working, are all the other similar actions/scans working?

Michael

Kudos0

Hello Michael

After receiving your message I have gone through Security, Identity, Backup & Performance. I have run all security options, live updates, security history, also run for performance; optimize disk, file cleanup and graphs, (startup manager did not report any programs). I have looked at all settings to double check that they are all set to default, Quick Controls are all X except Silent Mode.

I have a HP G56 130sa Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Laptop Computer which I bought in January 2011 from my local PC World shop. Hope all the above information will be of help to you.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

When you click on Performance then on Startup Manager does nothing happen at all? Does it look like it is trying to contact the Norton servers?

On my laptop when the new version was first installed the Startup Manager window did not show any programs but a message to say something along the lines of it was connecting to Norton after a few seconds the progams would appear with the Insight information. Today after the new version has been installed for a week the programs appear immediately and after a few seconds communicating with Norton the Insight information appears. The new version does seem to run much better after a few days settling down! even overall my laptop seems to be working much more smoothly.

Unless somebody else can cast any light on this in the forum I would have suggested you had a word with Support through online chat. They will probably want to connect remotely with your laptop and reinstall Norton which is something you obviously can do yourself. However, it would be good if somebody can suggest something or it starts to work over the next few days if this is the only thing that is not working properly other than the know problems affecting just about everybody.

In the end most problems are sorted out by a fresh reinstall, when I recently installed N360 on my Surface Tablet I had to install it twice as it did not do so properly the first time.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Ultimate 64bit.

Michael

Kudos1 Stats

FWIW -  Startup Manager operations require a user account with administrative privileges - are you using a Windows user account with Admin privileges?

One more thing, when you uninstalled N360, did you elect to save your settings? Any changes you made prior to uninstall will not be reflected in Startup Manager if you elected NOT to save your settings.

Additional info:

Startup Manager shows the list of the startup programs from the following areas:

• The valid executables such as .exe, or .lnk of an .exe file that is present in the Windows Startup folder. It is for both Current User and All Users.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce, and RunOnceEx

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce, and RunOnceEx

Kudos0

Hello Michael

When I click on Performance then on Startup Manager nothing happen at. It does not look like it is trying to contact the Norton servers.

I think that I will leave things for a few days to see if Startup Manager starts to work.

Brian

Kudos0

Hello Yank

I am using a Windows user account with Admin privileges.

When I uninstalled N360, I did you elect to save your settings.

Nothing is showing in Startup Manager.

Not sure where to look for the following as I have not found a Windows Startup folder.

• The valid executables such as .exe, or .lnk of an .exe file that is present in the Windows Startup folder. It is for both Current User and All Users.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce, and RunOnceEx

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window\CurrentVersion\Run, RunOnce, and RunOnceEx

Brian

Kudos0

Windows startup folder = Click on Start > All Programs > Startup

Kudos0

Hello Yank

The only program that appears in my Startup is OneNote 2010 Screen Clipper and Launcher.

Guess this is now a bit of a problem!

Brian

Kudos0

Hello Yank

Not sure if this helps or hinders. Norton 360 Startup Manager has just reported Microsoft OneNote Quick Launcher but no other programs yet!

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

It's annoying that your Startup Manager in Norton is not working, if that is the only problem on your laptop other than the difficulties reported by other users, it seems more like your Norton did not install 100% correctly. Although I am by no means an expert I can usually work through things but fortunately for me I don't see the problems others have.

If you have not yet received it there is a new Norton patch delivered through Live Update to fix the ID Safe infilling problem. It is working fine now for me with my ISP email but not with the new Norton Account sign in, if it is even meant to.

One thing I do notice when helping friends and family they do tend to have all sorts of strange programs installed and appear to be of little use or have multiple similar programs which no doubt causes conflict

I do not have any entries showing up in the start menu in Windows, neither does the laptop my father uses, so I don't see that as a major problem. I have nearly 40 startup programs listed in Norton Startup Manager but have only 8 set to start automatically.

It's probably gone on too long for it to sort itself out and just start working, perhaps the slightly aborted method of uninstalling your old version before installing this version may have caused a hiccup.

I have a feeling I would now be considering a reinstall of Norton which I appreciate is a pain but it is quite quick these days.

Once Norton 22.5.0.124 is working properly I think you'll find it worthwhile as on my laptops it is performing much better than the old version.

Michael    

ps was typing this before your last post so you now have some limited success.

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Thanks for your detailed email, I think that if things remain as they are today a reinstall of Norton tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Brian

Kudos0

Good afternoon Brian

Whatever happens it would be great to hear how things are getting on, hopefully you will have a properly working N360 in the very near future.

In all my years of using computers I can appreciate that no piece of hardware or software works 100% correctly 100% of the time. My biggest gripe is that there is not one Company who will stand up and keep people properly informed and only want ever bigger profits whilst constantly reducing customer service.

I have recently been looking for a new job and see adverts telling me they want somebody who gives excellent customer service etc. etc. etc.. When using the very same services from that Company am appalled at the poor service they provide.

Hopefully you'll have some good news for us tomorrow.

Michael

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Sorry for the delay in replying, got distracted watching tennis over the weekend!

I have reinstalled Norton a couple of times as suggested without any new programs showing in Startup Manager. After the last download I ran and had detailed look at Norton Insight Trust Level results as shown below:

All Running Processes: 46.  All Files: 2,422. Startup Items: 311. All Loaded Modules: 894. Highest Performance Impact: 10. Highest Community Usage: 125. The percentage figures were Trusted 96.90% and Good 3.10%.

Your comments about computers etc. is well put. My father once told me "your only a number at your place of work and they are not really interested about you, or how many hours you have to work to get the job done". I was working as an accountant for a large family owned construction business and all was very good until the owners decided to retire. The firm was sold to a huge Dutch construction firm who were not very good at man management or much else, in total including the family owners I worked for my construction company for 26 years before having a stroke at work in 2002 due to excessive stress and very long working hours etc. etc. (I had eight accountants and forty two accounts personnel working for me in eight different locations in the UK). My company were not interested about what happened to me, only who could do my job until I got better! my doctor refused to allow me back to work unless my workload reduced, the company decided to "pension me off" at the age of 55. The following year the company that the Dutch bought went bust and two thousand people lost their jobs, also everybody who was in the pension scheme did/would not get a pension of the value expected (I lost over 50% of my pension). My father's comments were totally correct, I tell this story to my daughter, friends and people who are being put upon by their boss.

I wish you well and hope that you are successful in finding a new job, and hopefully one that looks after their staff properly.

I am not worried about Norton not reporting the startup programs as it is not that important, take care of yourself and thanks for all the help you have provided to me.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

I can fully understand what you are saying, sadly your father is 100% correct with what he said the caring seems to have disappeared in todays life. I have been in jobs where it was usual to work 70/80 hours each week. I remember a time when I decided to take one 10 minute break during a 10 hour working day when the Manager, a friend of mine, mentioned something about taking too many breaks. I just told him that from the next day he could organise a replacement to cover an official break of 30 minutes each and every day. He soon kept quiet on the subject.

It's disappointing to see that the Startup Manager is not working although the figures in respect of Trusted/Good are reassuring. I do not know what the problem is with the Startup Manager perhaps a chat with support could help, I would avoid them connecting to your computer to do what you have already done several times correctly.

You appear to have a large number of programs running at start up, it is possible to stop them from starting by going into System Configuration, I have chosen to use a small program to do this for me it what I think is an easier way, amongst other things.

Michael

Kudos0

CCleaner has a useful tool for disabling/enabling startup items.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner I use the free version, and have done for years.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hello Michael

I had a look at System Configuration and the Startup tab and it does not show any programs! The small program that you use is it available to buy/download online?

PC World computers seem to come with quite a lot of programs on-board, just looking at Control Panel-Programs and Features on my computer there are 73 programs installed. Not sure how my Startup Items get to a total of 311?

I am thinking about taking my computer into PC World where I bought it and ask them if they can advise/help, if they can't I will wait until Christmas when the prices seem better and buy a new computer (my current computer will then five years old).

Might download CCleaner mentioned by F4E to see if it will help, but not before I have created a restore point in case something else goes wrong.

Brian

Kudos0

Hello F4E

Thanks for your email, could you let me know how CCleaner works and what precautions I should take if I chose to try it.

Brian

Kudos0

CurtisB48:  I had a look at System Configuration and the Startup tab and it does not show any programs!

W8/8.1 moved Startup from System Config to Task Manager. 
Windows 8 has a much improved Task Manager, which provides quick access to key system information, including programs loading on startup. On the Windows 8 desktop, right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager. Click More details in the bottom left and open the Start-up tab.
Disabling any processes that have a high or medium Start-up impact will improve your boot time. Select a process and click Disable in the lower right or right-click and select Disable.
IMO ~ CCleaner Free is must have.  CCleaner > Tools > Startup is light years beyond W8/8.1 Task Manager and Norton Startup Manager.

Kudos0

Hello bjm_

Thanks for your email, my current computer is a Windows 7 64bt laptop which I presume is quite different to Windows 8/8.1. Do you have any thoughts about how I might get my System Configuration and the Startup tab to display the programs?

Brian

Kudos0

CurtisB48:

Hello bjm_ Thanks for your email, my current computer is a Windows 7 64bt laptop which I presume is quite different to Windows 8/8.1. Do you have any thoughts about how I might get my System Configuration and the Startup tab to display the programs?  Brian

Ah, see what happens when I assume.  You wrote no Startup items.  My W8.1 has no Startup via msconfig.  So, I assumed. Doh!
So, from Admin account you go to msconfig and see nothing under Startup tab...?
I'd sure be curious what shows under CCleaner > Startup

Kudos0

CurtisB48:

Hello F4E

Thanks for your email, could you let me know how CCleaner works and what precautions I should take if I chose to try it.

Brian

Hi, Brian. CCleaner is a safe and effective program, and I would suggest having a read of the site info, download the free version, and just use the default settings until you become familiar with it.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I do NOT use the registry cleaner settings. Although CCleaner gives you the option of a system restore point, it's best not to use it.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hello F4E

Thanks for your information about CCleaner, I will download today and use the default settings to see what it reports. I will let you know what happens. 

Brian

Kudos1 Stats

CurtisB48:

Hello F4E: Thanks for your information about CCleaner, I will download today and use the default settings to see what it reports. I will let you know what happens. Brian

fwiw ~ check that default hasn't checked what you don't want checked...

Kudos0

hi Brian

Have only just seen your posts, I've not been ignoring you..

I use CCleaner but not for the Startup section, I do find it very useful for some of the other things it does.

New computers almost always come with far too many programs and trials pre-installed if you have not already done so it may be worth having a look at what is installed and not used to uninstall them. Whilst I appreciate from what you say it is not brand new it may help the running of your laptop. I have a 10 year old Vista laptop which still runs quite well although not in daily use.

I can't add anything to what you have been told about CCleaner hopefully you will find it useful.

Michael

Kudos0

Hello F4E_ & bjm_

Thanks for your emails.

After installing CCleaner and looking at the analysis results it suggests that 317MB can be removed, however, could you please let me know if I should remove the following items:

System-Temporary Files: 15KB 4 files

System-Memory Dumps: 246,663Kb 2 files

System-Windows Log Files: 41,017Kb 29 files

The other reported files are; Internet Explorer: Temporary Internet Files 23,215KB 656 files, History 8KB 2 files, Cookies 14KB 49 files. Windows Explorer: Recent Documents 9KB 5 files, Thumbnail Cache: 1,028KB 6 files. Applications-Office 2003 4KB 4 files, Office 2010 4KB 4 files, Windows MS Search 1,023 1 file. Which I am happy to delete.

I know that your advice is NOT to use Registry, but curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at the report, I have not done anything except look and there are hundreds of things reported as noted: Missing Shared DLL, Unused File Extensions, Open with Application Issue (Family Tree Maker 2014), ActiveX/Com Issue, Missing TypeLib Reference, Application Paths Issue, Unused Registry Key, Installer Reference Issue (100's for Hewlett Packard, 40 for Microsoft Silver, 23 for Family Tree Maker), Invalid Fire Rule and Missing MUI Reference.

I have had problems with Family Tree Maker should I delete these items or leave well alone.

Brian

Kudos0

Hello Michael

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner.

I will have a look at the installed programs to see how many are listed that I don't use and decide whether to deleted them. I have a Windows 98 laptop that is used every day to keep track of my income and expenditure using Quicken 2000, the computer "creaks and groans" but keeps all my information going back to when I first got Quicken software in about 1995? Will miss using it when It finally stops working.

I had a look at my wife's computer last night and her System Configuration shows all her programs in the Startup tab, this suggests there is a problem with my computer not recording my programs. Might take my laptop to PC World to see if it is something simple that can be sorted in the shop, if not I will continue to use it knowing the problem it has.

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

It's amazing how the old machines keep working with a little TLC, it may be worth installing CCleaner on the old machine if Piriform still support Windows 98, it used to, the website says not but I have sent a support request to ask. I think all in all 98 was my favourite Windows OS.

I would not be too hopeful in obtaining useful help from PC World. A few years ago I bought a display laptop from them so decided to be safe to take up their "Insurance" whatever it is called. The laptop kept on running too hot so I took it back to where I bought it and gave details of the problem. I had to book an appointment and go back the next week to hand the laptop to them. At the time it was a 2 hour round trip from home. They kept it for a week.

When picking it up they said there was nothing wrong just a few virus's which they cleared up, for a number of reasons I didn't believe them but accepted what they said. I asked if they found a problem with the overheating which they didn't. I discovered all they do is run a program through the laptop which I guess check for things like you found with CCleaner and virus detection software. They probably found a few cookies and cleared them.

There was no difference with the laptop so I took up the offer of telephone support. The agent did not even ask what the problem was even though I tried to explain then said make sure I had the OS disc so that they could reinstall Windows. I said thanks but no thanks and ended the call then cancelled the Insurance. 

If you don't have the Insurance from PC World do you not have a local computer shop to have a word with before letting them loose on your laptop?

Michael  

Kudos0

Hello Michael

My Windows 98 laptop is deliberately not connected to the internet for security reasons, so would not be able to install CCleaner on it.

I used PC World to re-install Windows 7 laptop last November and found them to very good, however, I have heard about people using the same shop having problems when their computer was returned to them. My computer was sent to there Specialist Repair Lab and my computer had the latest Windows 7 software installed and has worked quite well until recently, I guess I was lucky back in November?

I don't have insurance for my laptop, but my wife did for hers, she was not very happy with PC World who wiped her disk without backing up her computer before carrying out repairs as agreed and when it was returned she said it was no better and thought the buying of the insurance was a waste of money. Before sending my laptop to PC World I used a local computer repair shop in Louth, Lincolnshire who completely messed it up and cost a lot of money and was not interested in helping, the agreement to allow the shop to carry out repairs small print gave no protection to the customer.

Will continue to use my laptop until it gives up and then buy another at that time.

Michael do your have any thoughts/comments on my reply to F4E_ & bjm_ on 18 July?

Brian

Kudos0

hi Brian

I can understand what you say about the local computer repair shop I had no confidence with the one I visited in Hythe, Kent where I lived for a few years although, I am lucky here in Plymouth as the local shop built my first Desktop back in the 1990's he is ex Navy and excellent.

I must visit Lincolnshire again as only spent a couple of days in Lincoln and had no time to discover the place. My Great grandfather was apparently born in a village called Martin in Lincolnshire but his history is a complete mystery and I need to do some more investigation.

I have to say I would not let PC World in-store people loose with any of my devices given my earlier experiences. 

I have used CCleaner for almost 20 years back in the day when it was called CrapCleaner and find it very useful. It has 2 main parts to it. The section called Cleaner mostly clears your computer of Temporary files, Temporary Internet files, cookies. The section called Registry is the part of the program which needs more care. It often finds Registry files left over from uninstalls, missing links amongst other things.

I purposely did not mention anything about your post to F4E_ & bjm_  as what I do would probably be frowned upon by many people although, I guess many do more than I do with these sections.

Under Cleaner I let the program clean all it finds. Under Registry I usually let it clean anything left over from uninstalls. I appreciate that with Windows it is not necessary to clear these but I feel quite happy doing so and not had any problems with this in all the time I've used CCleaner.

I understand that some cookies can be useful but there are others which are not and I think best removed. I use a small program called Secunia PSI which checks that I have all the latest security updates of the programs installed which have vulnerabilities. It at times reports on parts of programs leftover from uninstalls and does not like them, this was particularly true when I had to use Java which is no longer on my computers.

Many will say these things aren't needed to be carried out which I can understand, also Windows has Disc Cleanup which I still run from time to time as different cleaners seem to do different things, the Windows cleaner clears old Windows update files which CCleaner doesn't seem to do. 

The types of program I would definitely not have anything to do with is the type that tell you they can update your drivers, this is best left to Microsoft Update if done at all or if your laptop manufacturer suggests it or the ones that tell you that there are hundreds if not thousands of problems with your computer please gives us £40 to sort it out. 

I cannot tell you in detail about the technical reasons for doing or not doing things but over 20 years that I've owned a computer of various types I rarely have the problems with software not working Windows and other programs updates not working or trashing the computer, not had any trouble with the recent Norton update. I've had one Blue Screen of Death in 20 years which was probably connected with updating from XP to Vista almost 10 years ago. I don't know technically whether I'm doing right or wrong but it works for me and upto 20 devices I look after for friends and family especially when they run into trouble.

Sorry for the rather verbose post.

Michael

Kudos0

Hi, Brian. With reference to CCleaner deleting the files you listed. It's safe to delete those, but I do NOT check any of the items in the Advanced area at the bottom of the Cleaner page.

One item I HAVE used in the Registry Cleaning area, is the Obsolete Software section.

I do not risk deleting .dll files.

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.