• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 vs Norton Security

I have Norton 360 Premiere on multiple devices that are expiring.  I purchased the 10 devices version of Norton Security and am just entering the new key when a device 360 license expires.  The software tells me it is up to date when I do a "new version check" after putting in the NSwB key, but the product is still N360 Premiere.  Does the NS license allow me to continue to use the 360 product.  The N360 version is 22.5.0.124.  Is there a difference between the two products?  If so, why does the NS key work with the N360 product?  Are there advantages that makes NS better than N360?  Do I need to uninstall N360 and download and install NSwB? I was trying to avoid that on so many devices.  Is there any reason not to just continue using the N360 product, as it is still updating to new versions (as opposed to just getting live update patches to an older version.)?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 vs Norton Security

Hi, Kevin. You can install Norton Security over the existing program on all your computers, as it will uninstall the previous versions.

This KB article has the relevant info.

You also have the option of adding a device from the More Norton tab on the NSBU interface.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090708112...

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Kevin,

I purchased the 10 devices version of Norton Security and am just entering the new key when a device 360 license expires.  The software tells me it is up to date when I do a "new version check" after putting in the NSwB key, but the product is still N360 Premiere.

Unless things have changed recently, you should not be able to do that since the keys have not been interchangeable. If you had Renewed with Norton then you would continue to have N360 Premiere, although in fact some of the works are approaching commonality with Norton Security and the appearance may not change much.

I think we need to get a Norton Staffer to check this out since there was talk of automatically adding the unexpired time on the old product to the new time on the new, different, product instead of having to ask OnLine Support to do it. So just maybe they have made the keys retroactive but I don't recollect hearing this.

Do you see that you have 366 days of subscription left? Did you have any days left on N360 when you applied the new key?  I think it no longer shows the actual number any more.

Note that it's a weekend and sometimes it takes longer for a Staffer (name in red) to reply.

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

@Kevin Farrell, let's see if I can answer as many of these as clearly as possible. We get into some potentially confusing areas here, and I want to be sure we're exact in our word choices.

Does the NS license allow me to continue to use the 360 product.

Yes. To clarify, you later state you purchased Norton Security with Backup, not NS. And your Norton Security with Backup activation key can be used on your Norton 360 product.

The N360 version is 22.5.0.124.  Is there a difference between the two products?

Yes. There were a few minor changes to functionality and settings, but they're fairly close in functionality. There are some additional improvements to security features, but now that you're running 22.5.0.124, you are also running those features.

If so, why does the NS key work with the N360 product?

It's difficult to explain. Norton Security with Backup is the top product we offer, and because we're still transitioning from our older NIS/NAV/N360 product line, we offer those as available to be activated with the new key. We know that most people will eventually get on the current products, but for now, this is a perk of purchasing a subscription to the new products.

Are there advantages that makes NS better than N360?

Yep!  http://us.norton.com/norton-security-with-backup

Do I need to uninstall N360 and download and install NSwB?

Only if you want Norton Security with Backup instead of Norton 360.

Is there any reason not to just continue using the N360 product, as it is still updating to new versions (as opposed to just getting live update patches to an older version.)?

I'll let others weigh in on the benefits of one or the other. I recommend updating to Norton Security with Backup, since that's the latest product, and get you up-to-speed on the latest in security.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions. It was a dense post.  My only other question concerns your response to whether there are advantages of NSwB over N 360 Premiere.  The link you gave only compares versions of Norton Security to one another, not to the older product.  I was wondering if I get improved features and functionality by going with NSwB, and if whether it comes with its own problems from being a "new" product that might make it better to stay with N 360.

I saw some references to problems with NSwB that involved manually updating the virus definitions and other issues with the latest version of NSwB, which also happens to be the same version for my N360 product.  Are these problems unique to the new product / version, or do both products share the same code-base and so have the same issues (that would explain why they have the same version number, even if they are technically different products.) 

I guess your ultimate opinion is to go with the latest product.  I am just wondering if there are any solid reasons to stay with N360, since, apparently, I can.

Kudos0

Hi Huwyngr.  Thanks for responding.  So far, I have been updating on the day before expiration, and wound up having 366 days, which seemed right.

As you suggested, I have a more complete response by the Norton Admin, that seems to hit most of my concerns.   Thanks, again.

Kudos0

Glad to see Tony W come in --  the bit about retroactive across the variety keys came as a surprise to all of us! I'm glad to be wrong!

Hugh
Kudos0

There are a few reasons to go with Norton Security with Backup. The biggest one is that, compared with Norton 360, it's not being discontinued. That is to say at some point in the near future, there won't be more updates for Norton 360.

However, at this point, it's clear that if you're running Norton 360 22.5.2, that product shares code that's in Norton Security with Backup, which is also on version 22.5.2, so they're very close in both functionality and codebase. I know others have strong opinions on this topic, and if they wish to weigh in, I invite it.

Kudos1 Stats

hi Kevin

I am very pleased with NSwB although it is very similar to the updated version of N360. It would be very surprising if Norton update N360 further the latest update is partly/mainly to allow it to be compatible with Windows 10, as far as I am aware. At the time NS/NSwB became available Norton said there would be no further updates to NAV/NIS/N360 although I guess they have had to as NS/NSwB is yet to be available in all parts of the World.

The main advantage with NSwB over N360 is that the licence is available to install on more devices including Apple and Android.

If cost is a consideration it is possible to look on the internet and local stores to purchase at less than that offered by Norton direct. I was able to buy NSwB from PC World in the UK for £29.99.

Michael

Kudos0

Great points, @michaelsalis. And since @Kevin Farrell already purchased a Norton Security with Backup subscription, he's already eligible to install on PCs, mobile devices, and Macs - up to 10 devices total.

Kudos0

Hi, new poster here.

I too am at a crossroad for purchasing. Query, having 1 device/PC w/o smart phone or otherwise, it seems to be an advantage to stay with 360 already having backup vs NSBU.

Also, Norton is offering the following renewal options with the real advantage being the 2 year plan:

N360/1 device  1-year $89.99-$50 discount=$39.99 / 2-years $114.99-$40 discount=$74.99. [However, Norton Computer Tune Up option is add'l. $9.99 "to use w/i 30 days"]  vs:

NS/1device      1-year $79.99-$30 discount=$49.99 / 2-year $154.99 w/o discount

NSBU/1device 1-year $89.99-$30 discount=$59.99 / 2-year $174.99 w/o discount

Real question is will 360 continue, which appears to be so, if offering a 2-year renewal.

Kudos0

Peg,

It seems to me that those 2 yr renewals are very bad value since in effect they are charging $100 for adding a year to a $50 year!

With the change from V21 to V22 even for N360 (and NIS and NAV) they are getting closer to NS.

But on the basis of your figures, if you can renew N360 for $39.99 (bearing in mind that it is no longer marketed by Norton but still renewed) then you can save $10 by getting it (I would not waste the money on the $10 checkup but that's up to you). If you can renew N360 for 2years that's good value but you are stuck with a less and less uptodate Norton product since only part of the older versions will be updated from time to time.

So for $10 more initially it may be time to go to NS if you have the Standard N360 which does not include OnLine Backup (that's Premier in N360 or NSwBU for the newer product).

When do you have to renew your N360? What version of Windows are you using at present and do you plan to go to Windows 10 when it is released this week (not that many will get it right away ...)? Those are your most important elements in decision taking so please let us know on this point.

Hugh
Kudos0

hi Peg

The price on the Norton UK website seems to change quite a bit, today NS for 1 device is £29.99 yesterday it was £19.99. I agree with Hugh with regard to the Tune-up the $10.00 would be better spent on something else, I doubt they do much more than the tune-up feature in N360 and any benefit would be only temporary.

The current update to N360 has made it more or less NSwB in all but name but my guess is that the only reason for it to be updated is Windows 10 compatibility, I don't see it being updated in the future like NS/NSwB will be. Obviously Norton would be duty bound to issue virus updates to you for the length of the Subscription.

Michael

Kudos0

Hello Peg

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

As Tony Weiss said earlier in this thread---

There are a few reasons to go with Norton Security with Backup. The biggest one is that, compared with Norton 360, it's not being discontinued. That is to say at some point in the near future, there won't be more updates for Norton 360.

If you want to go with a 2 year sub, you would be getting a sub for a product which would become like a CD version---static without any new updates. It wouldn't be able to keep up with the new additions to Win 10. My 2 c. Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks all. That confirms initial thoughts. 8 days still left on current subscription. Still on Windows 7, with no immediate thoughts towards 10.

Kudos0

[Admin Edit: This message has been moved to a thread of its own]

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.