• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos3 Stats

Norton Safe Web Script slowing FireFox 57.0.2 64 bit

Ever since Firefox went through a major update - actually much faster now, the Norton Safe Web script (I assume check of e-mail) on webmail is reported slowing down the process.  Essentially, my web mail FREEZES until Norton Safe Web has completed its check. 

Yes, I choose the option to "Temporarily Disable" Norton Safe Web Extension on the page.  Surely that is NOT the most secure action.  Otherwise, I would need to wait at least 30 sec or more for NSW to complete, for the script to run.  There was never a delay by Norton in earlier Firefox versions.

PLEASE CORRECT THIS IN A LIVE UPDATE - update your script for the latest Firefox 57. 

Isn't it wonderful that Firefox clearly identifies the cause/culprit and it is NORTON - I am running the latest Norton Security with backup.

Thanks, Ira

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Safe Web Script slowing FireFox 57.0.2 64 bit

Hello iraisok

Welcome to the Norton Community Forum

Norton Safe Web has nothing to do with emails or email scanning or webmail. Norton Safe Web has to do with checking websites for malware or to check if they are safe. If you use Google as a Search Engine as an example, you should see little Green OK symbols or malware symbols. Safe Web scans websites mainly.

Have a Good Night and

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos2 Stats

Please view the attachment.  I did not conclude that, Firefox did!  Are saying that Norton is not the cause of that msg generated by Firefox and that Firefox is worng and that Norton is not connected with the issue at all?  Or are you just disagreeing with wording Firefox used but agree Norton is the culprit?

Tomorrow, I will turn off NSW and report back to tell you if I still see that msg.  If it does not, will you agree that NSW is the culprit?

You may wish to wait for my followup or respond to what I asked, above

Tnx,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos1 Stats

Ira, you are not alone. I have the same on a shopping site, everytime i access it.

Floplot, it's a Norton msg and a Norton NSW script which cannot finish; FF is just reporting that. So it's either a FF problem since the latest update (dec 8) or a NSW problem since the latest update (dec. 14).
Whether it's a mail site is of no significance.

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Wonderful!  I was not saying it was only happening in webmail.  I was reporting that it was happening.  I had no idea that other people are experiencing same.  All I wanted to know is if Symantec/Norton working to RESOLVE THE INCONVENIENCE?

Are either of you who kindly responded associated with Norton or subscribers of the product like myself?  If you are associated with Norton, do you know if they are working to correct it?  That was my only goal here.

One things for sure, the guy who spoke with in chat yesterday did not know about it... to no surprise.  Most chat sessions most companies are a waste of time.

Tnx,

Thanks, Ira
Kudos1 Stats

Ira,

I am just a plain user with some technical knowledge and helping people with computer problems.
Some of the posters here have direct contact with Symantec people. It's not always clear if a problem reported here, is under investigation.

If the problem persists, then I mostly report it as an official problem to the helpdesk.

BTW : The website i have problems with : www.derooderoos.nl

Regards, Hugo

W10 1809 and 1903 / W10 Insider / IE11 and FF 67, TB 60.7, NS 22.17, (Android 7 with NMS)
Kudos0

Hello Hugo and happy holiday's to you or shall i say "YOUGO" (joke).

Thank you for the heads up.  Lets HOPE that our pleas are being read by Symantec folks who CARE?

Other oddball finding - the attachment I included in my original msg STILL pops-up when a) I turn OFF Norton Web Safe and b) when I turn off Auto Protect, too.

THIS IS A REAL NUISANCE!!!

Come no Symantec respond to tell us you are working on this, that it is a HIGH PRIORITY!

Tnx,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos1 Stats

I have raised the issue with Symantec.  Hopefully someone will post in this thread, but please be patient.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Ira, the problem is just known, so it maybe will take some time to solve it. Untill then, you can remove NWS and install f.i. Web of Trust extension for the time being.

'My' website https://www.derooderoos.nl reacts differently in FF 56 and 57 :  It hangs in FF 56.0.2 and gives the recurring script error in FF 57.0.2

IGO  for the solution; thanks Krusty13 for your service.

Kudos0

Thanks much to all of you on this.  I did not care for Web of Trust intrusion warning.  Soemhow, I trust Norton since I've subscribed for years.  I'll "trust" that Norton will get on wit fixing it.  While I could disable NSW, I might not know when it is fixed.  So, I'll live with it.  I guess if I subscribe to this forum, eventually you guys will scream out with joy when it is fixed?

Tnx,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Fair warning:

Symantec don't usually get bugs like these resolved quickly, especially ones involving browser extensions.

Dave

Kudos0

Thanks for the warning.  I guess they would not include this in a commercial?

Anyway, FYI: the ONLY place I encounter the problem is with my Webmail.  (doesn't mean I won't see it at some other site but not so far).

So all I do is DISABLE NSW extension in FF prior to checking my Webmail.  When done, re-enable NSW extension  (don't need restart FF either).  Absolutely no risk for me.  I write rules to trap the crap and am smart enough to know what should be fwd'd to my Outlook on the PC.

I'll be on the lookout for one of you kind folks to scream saying it's FIXED ... some year.  Also recheck after each Live Update.

Tnx,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Let's hope Symantec can fix this. The only site the message occurs is for my on line bank. So it's not just webmail. In the meantime, I'll be clicking "temporarily disable..."

Kudos0

FireFox extension - Norton Safe Web was updated Ver 2.5.0.3, dtd 12/21/17.  Guess what - still have same problem!!!

Will keep on waiting and disabling it when visiting my Webmail, the only site i experience the problem.

COME NOW SYMANTEC - DO YOU CARE?

Thanks, Ira
Kudos1 Stats

Again, no real help but I can say that Norton / Symantec are aware of this thread.  Nothing more I can add, sorry.

Kudos0

I check back here periodically for a surprise.  No dice!  I guess Symantec has bigger problems to deal with or they feel this one could be tabled for next purchase?  Perhaps serving as an incentive to "keep customers?"  I continue to disable the extension before going into my webmail, the only location I experience the issue.

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

User Ruth Cr is reporting the same Norton Safe Web / Firefox problem in their 07-Jan-2018 thread Script Issues.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB v3.3.1

Kudos0

Another report here  -  Permalink

... Just bumping this thread so it doesn't get locked and forgotten. 

Kudos1 Stats

GOOD NEWS!

Norton Safe Web Ver 2.6.0.5, dtd Jan 12, 2018, solved the problem for me.  Currently running with Firefox 57.0.4 64 bit.

Thank you Symantec!

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

iraisok... How does one obtain and install the new version?

Kudos0

Ctrl+Shift+A will open the Add-on page in FF. Then click "more" next to the Norton extension and then "check for updates". Then click install update.

Jim

Kudos0

Many thanks, PhoneMan and iraisok. My problem has been fixed. Use the standard procedure to update Firefox add-ons to get the latest version of NSW.

I've marked this thread as solved.

Kudos0

Jim,

There is no "Check For Updates."  Automatic updates - Default is selected.  Correction to my last post I still have the problem with what I believe is latest NSW extension - 2.6.0.5 and still have the problem with my provider WebMail that I check occasionally.  I am running with latest FF 57.0.4 64 bit.

???

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Try change Default to NO and see if Check For Update appears. You can also click on the gear at the top of extension page and check for updates there.

Jim

Kudos0

Phoneman,

Is 2.6.0.5 not the latest?  What version do you have?  I never heard it necessary to change from Default to get updates.

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

It depends on how you have it setup.

Jim

Kudos0

Jim and PhoneMan,

Both your response are appreciated.

1. Yes, I have my setting to "Automatically check for updates from that gear pull-down.

2. So, By default, I receive updates as and when they are available.

3. While I do not see my post sent PRIOR to Jim's and following PhoneMan, there I stated, in fact, I had the latest release of NWS as you guys show that both of you should have returned, "Yep Ira, you have same as I.  You have the latest."  Again, appreciate the gear setting features that I already had set - I am sure default upon installation.  I would not normally have changed from "Automatic ..."

4. What remains for me is ... it ain't fixed for me just yet.  I continue to first DISABLE NWS before my occasional checks of WebMail. 

Not related but I'll share this with you guys.

The only reason I need to check Webmail is I write rules to trap types of spam.  I call it Level Two to filter it out.  At times there is a msg that shouldn't gotten trapped.  I might add a rule or just pass it through.  Level One is an application called MailCleaner that my e-mail provider subscribes for all subscribers.  It traps upward of 100 messages a day with an accuracy of over 99% for me. Without that, I'd have joined "the change my e-mail address club 15 yrs ago [a few times since].  It works fantastic. Level 3 is MS Outlook for the occasional msg that does make to my PC and gets to the Junk folder.  Hardly anything undesired makes to Outlook.

In closing, if/when this issue solved for me, I'll share it with the community.

Tnx,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Jim = PhoneMan.  Same bloke! 

Kudos0

I also still have the problem with website https://www.derooderoos.nl .

My sister had it with another website also today, but i forgot the name.

So time to get a solution.

Kudos0

I just want to provide all detail - essentially what I stated when I wrote this post.  The attachment might squelch alternate theories on who is causing what and who should start working to correct this.  Note when I first posted it and the current date with NO CHANGE.  Yep, Symantec decides priorities.

See attachment.

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Hi @iraisok | @hvgsel ,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

This has been reported to the team and they are investigating to find out the root cause of this issue.

Could you please post the list of websites that becomes slow?

I'll reach out to you if the team needs more information from you.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

The ONLY URL that I experience it (and I am everywhere on the web) is my own WebMail site for which you would not be able log into.  Look back at other replies and you will see others with the same issue.  They might be able to provide URL's that you can visit to experience same.

Thanks for your concern,

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

I also have the problem with website https://www.derooderoos.nl

I went to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/norton-safe-web/versions/

I tested each version and version 2.3.0.24 does NOT raise the error but all the other versions give the error.

I am running FF 58 and was getting this error on 57.0.2 and 57.0.4.

Jim

Kudos0

It seems that Norton Identity Safe extension was also causing problems.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-identity-safe-script-excessive-time-firefox

Both problems are fixed by going back to older extensions on FF.

I am now using Norton Identity Safe 5.1.1.2 and Norton Safe Web 2.3.0.24 and no errors and my Firefox 58 64bit is popping. I was having some lag on Facebook and other sites and now they all pop.

Since only some sites show the error, apparently other sites are just loading slower but not tripping the error.

Hope this helps Norton fix their extension problems.

Jim

Kudos0

Jim,

Thanks for sharing the workaround.  For no, I'll moan and groan to myself and disable it prior to checking my webmail.  I need to do that daily based on the rules I write to trap stuff and the level of e-mail I receive.  Good news is most of what gets trapped is "crap."

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

I am also encountering this annoying problem on some web sites.

Here are a couple more examples in case they are useful to help Norton find and fix the problem:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-E-GAMING/
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

The error message is 'A script in the extension "Norton Safe Web" is causing Firefox to slow down'.
Firefox uses all of the CPU time on one processor for an extended period (more than a minute) until it eventually stops.
Firefox 58.0 and Norton Safe Web 2.6.0.5.

Kudos0

I use Firefox ESR v52.6.0 (extended support release) on a 32-bit Vista SP2 machine and can confirm that I get a similar error when I test the sample URLs posted above (e.g., https://www.derooderoos.nl/ ; https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X299-E-GAMING/, etc.) when Norton Safe Web v2.6.0.5 is enabled, although the error message doesn't specifically state that Norton Safe Web is the culprit.

If I disable the Norton Safe Web v2.6.0.5 extension those same web pages load quickly and correctly without the unresponsive script error.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * NS v22.11.2.7 * Norton Safe Web for FF v2.6.0.5

Kudos0

Did you try the older Norton Safe Web 2.3.0.24  extension?

Jim

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

Did you try the older Norton Safe Web 2.3.0.24  extension?

Hi PhoneMan:

No, I just wanted Symantec to know that the problem also occurs with the latest FF ESR v52.6.0 (released 23-Jan-2018), since FF ESR v52.x still hasn't been upgraded to the new Quantum engine that was introduced with FF v57.  I'll be happy to do more troubleshooting if Mohan_G or one of the other Symantec employees requests more information.

I reported a different bug that has occurred with all versions of Norton Safe Web v2.x on my system, including v2.3.0.24 (see my 20-Nov-2017 thread Bug in Norton Safe Web v2.3.0.24 for Firefox - Grey Icon on Landing Page) and no one from Symantec has bothered to respond in that thread.  Symantec also hasn't responded in CurrentR's 17-Nov-2017 thread Bring Back Safeweb Icons for Google Search in Firefox - Please Reply to user complaints about the lack of functionality in this new Web Extensions version of Norton Safe Web v2.x for FF.  This extension is currently disabled in my FF ESR browser - and will likely be removed soon - and I don't want to waste too much time troubleshooting if Symantec isn't going to provide better support.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * Norton Safe Web for FF v2.6.0.5

Kudos0

Jim,

Not sure if you are asking if I tried 2.3.0.4.  Answer is no.  Appreciate your suggestion.  With all the issues posted here, wouldn't you think we'd hear ANYTHING directly from Symantec?  Isn't it time to at least say, "we have raised priority to getting NSW working properly."???

Ira

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Hi Ira,

I did warn you

Dave

Kudos0

Dave,

What was your warning?

Thanks, Ira
Kudos0

Ira:

Dave,

What was your warning?

Krusty:

Fair warning:

Symantec don't usually get bugs like these resolved quickly, especially ones involving browser extensions.

Dave

Kudos0

Click on Permalink above.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Aren't there enough people that have reported the SAME ISSUE (aka pissed) about this with sufficient data from FIREFOX for Symantec to a) report that they are WORKING ON THE ISSUE and ... b) kindly provide an ETA when it might be corrected? 

Key words: Working the issue; report progress; ETA for when it MIGHT be corrected.

While someone might reply supporting Symantec and how long it takes them to work issue but I'm expecting DIRECT communication from them on this issue but that is NOT HAPPENING.  IT IS NOT UNREASONABLE with as many people experiencing this to expect SOME FEEDBACK DIRECTLY from SYMANTEC.

PS: I do not think anyone else needs to report same issue but I understand everyone wishes to be heard.

Thanks, Ira
Kudos2 Stats

Looks like Norton has fixed the problem. New version - Norton Safe Web 2.6.1.8 released yesterday Jan 30  around 6pm CST and testing the links listed on here and looks OK.

Jim

Kudos0

PhoneMan:

Looks like Norton has fixed the problem. New version - Norton Safe Web 2.6.1.8 released yesterday Jan 30  around 6pm CST and testing the links listed on here and looks OK.

Updated to Norton Safe Web v2.6.1.8 and it appears to have fixed the problem with Firefox ESR v52.6.0 as well.  No longer seeing the unresponsive JavaScript errors I reported <here> since updating to v2.6.1.8.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * 32-bit Firefox ESR v52.6.0 * Norton Safe Web for FF v2.6.1.8

Kudos0

I too updated and do not have problems anymore in Firefox 58 as well as 56.

Kudos0

Yes, Issue Now Resolved.

NWS 2.6.1.8 solved my problem / the problem we were all having.

Thanks guys for the heads up on the update being released last night.  Mine was updated automatically to that version upon opening Firefox moments ago.

Thanks, Ira
Kudos1 Stats

Hi everyone,

A fix has been released to address this issue and this issue should be resolved now.

The Firefox Norton SafeWeb version will be 2.6.1.8

Thank you for confirming folks. I'm glad its back up and running fine now.

Thank you for your patience.

Mohanakrishnan G | Norton Forums Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

So @iraisok : You can mark your thread as solved now.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.