• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2 Stats

Norton Security 2015 Review

"The Pros
Outstanding malware protection; Clean, intuitive interface; Robust privacy-protection tools; Minimal impact on system performance"

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/software/norton-security-2015

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security 2015 Review

No mention of the slow shutdowns. 

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Krusty13:

No mention of the slow shutdowns. 

The tester is among the lucky ones who do not suffer the delayed shutdown, like me. 

Sandro
Kudos0

I had long shut down times on my desktop, but close to normal on my laptop. Go figure. They have identical specs.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos3 Stats

No mention of the potential exposure in Norton Security when the user's computer does not have an active internet connection (i.e., offline).

Also, the laptopmag article mentions comparison tests performed by the AV-TEST independent lab in Germany. But the only AV product comparison tests I could find on the AV-TEST site were tests where the old NIS 2014 was being compared.

In fact, the laptopmag article even says that AV-TEST tested the 2014 edition:

To evaluate Norton Security's efficacy against malware, we turned to the folks at the AV-TEST independent lab in Germany, who put the 2014 edition of the suite through rigorous protection, performance and usability testing.

I could not even consider using Norton Security until the long shutdown and exposure when offline problems are resolved ... and even then, I'd wait until to see truly independent comparisons of Norton Security with the other top rated competitors.

Kudos0

AV-test has released their Sept and Oct test results. Its not clear but looks like NIS 2014 was tested in Sept and NS 2015 in Oct with same results.

Looks like they did the same for other products also.

We always used the most current publicly-available version of all products for the testing.

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Jim

Kudos0

Is there any problem like that? I just knew it.

Surface Pro3 - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring) | ASUS N43S - Windows 10 Pro Insider (Fast Ring)
Kudos0

geek47:

No mention of the potential exposure in Norton Security when the user's computer does not have an active internet connection (i.e., offline).

Also, the laptopmag article mentions comparison tests performed by the AV-TEST independent lab in Germany. But the only AV product comparison tests I could find on the AV-TEST site were tests where the old NIS 2014 was being compared.

In fact, the laptopmag article even says that AV-TEST tested the 2014 edition:

To evaluate Norton Security's efficacy against malware, we turned to the folks at the AV-TEST independent lab in Germany, who put the 2014 edition of the suite through rigorous protection, performance and usability testing.

I could not even consider using Norton Security until the long shutdown and exposure when offline problems are resolved ... and even then, I'd wait until to see truly independent comparisons of Norton Security with the other top rated competitors.

"According to AV-TEST's April 2014 evaluations, Norton Internet Security detected 100 percent of 138 samples of brand-new, zero-day malware running on Windows 8/8.1 systems. By comparison, the average detection rate for zero-day malware is 94 percent. Bitdefender Internet Security, Kaspersky Internet Security and Trend Micro Titanium Security also detected 100 percent of the samples.

Norton Security likewise detected 100 percent of 20,646 samples of malware identified in the previous four weeks, which is better than the industry average of 98 percent. Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Trend Micro also detected 100 percent of the samples."

The A/V Test Report Says that both Norton 2014 and 2015 were used in the two month test.

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

Kudos0

Hok,

You must understand that there are crucial 2 parts in the way an AV performs, what about the removal feature??

I find very good the fact that many AV's detect 100% of the samples, they may detect 200% if they wish, but if the removal rate is 15%, then what's the benefit??

I would be very happy to know that Norton detected and successfully removed 100% of the dropped samples. Is this the case??

Cheers,

Kudos0

Apostolos:

Hok,

You must understand that there are crucial 2 parts in the way an AV performs, what about the removal feature??

I find very good the fact that many AV's detect 100% of the samples, they may detect 200% if they wish, but if the removal rate is 15%, then what's the benefit??

I would be very happy to know that Norton detected and successfully removed 100% of the dropped samples. Is this the case??

Cheers,

I totally agree.

Kudos0

According to this post, neither the old NIS 2014 nor the new NS 2015 have 100% detection/protection when the user's computer does not have an active internet connection.

Kudos0

Norton is very good at protecting a clean system, but there are other anti malware programs that are better at repairing malware infections.

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/17-software-packages-in-a-repair-performance-test-after-malware-attacks/

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.