• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 2015(V22) vs Security 2.0

What is the difference. Need to install new 2015(old expired 2014) Don't know which to buy. Are these 2 products the same.

Thanks

Replies

Kudos2 Stats

Re: Norton Security 2015(V22) vs Security 2.0

Hi howardrf:

Please see Catweasel's thread "Upgrading" from 360 to Norton 2.0 in the NIS/N360/NAV board for a similar topic.

Were you shopping for Norton Security v. 22.x (2015) on Amazon?  For some reason, Amazon seems to be incorrectly listing the new Norton Security (NS) as v. 2 rather than v. 22 - see < here > on their Canadian site for one example.

Just a suggestion, but before making any final purchase be sure to compare with prices on the online Symantec store at www.norton.com/products.  If you purchase directly from Symantec you might be eligible for their virus removal service called Norton Virus Protection Promise (VPP) at no additional cost, depending on your region.

The Norton Protection Blog entry The New Norton has a product comparison chart showing features of both the old NIS/N360/NAV v. 21.x (2014) products vs. the newer NS and NS with Backup v. 22.x (2015) products.  I had a spare product key for NIS v. 21.x (2014) that I purchased for $19.99 CAN and extended my subscription to NIS for one more year while I wait for all the bugs to be work out of NS/NSBU v. 22.x, so that's another option you can investigate if you don't mind staying with v. 21.x (2014) for another year.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * IE9 * Firefox 35.0.1 * NIS 2014 v. 21.6.0.32
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1 Stats

Hello howard

There is Norton Security which is version 22 and is good for up to 5 devices. There is also Norton Security with Backup which is good for up to 10 devices and it has a Backup portion which Norton Security does not have. I don't know what Security 2.0 is. Never heard of it.... Either one of the 2 products can be installed on top of NAV, NIS or N360.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos1 Stats

floplot:

Hello howard

There is Norton Security which is version 22 and is good for up to 5 devices. There is also Norton Security with Backup which is good for up to 10 devices and it has a Backup portion which Norton Security does not have. I don't know what Security 2.0 is. Never heard of it.... Either one of the 2 products can be installed on top of NAV, NIS or N360.

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=security2.0  an Enterprises product ..... 

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello

@Hugh--Thank you for the link. No wonder why I hadn't heard of it.  Security 2.0 is the Enterprise version and it may not be a typo in Amazon. I haven't read the description of Security 2 in Amazon, so I am not sure if it is a typo or if they are referring to the Enterprise version.

@ howard-----Do you have a business where you need a special program to carry on business duties. You haven't mentioned which product you were using in 2014 other than to say it expired. If you were using any of these programs: NAV, NIS, or N360, then you would be better off with either NS or NSwB. If you were using a commercial product last year, then you would probably be better off sticking with the commercial product.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Obviously an error by Amazon -- There is an Amazon listing you can find using the popular searcg engine that has a listing by Amazon  for N S V2 that takes you to a page that no longer exists

A search of Amazon Software for V2 shows no results

There is a Best Buy Store in California that is Selling NS V 2 :-) but it's clearly just vanilla NS

BTW: NS 2015 - 5  devices on special for limited time on Amazon for $39.99. Cheapest I have seen ever.

Kudos1 Stats

I agree that this must be a mistake by Amazon.  The image <here> on Amazon would not use "Norton" in the product name shown on the box if this were a corporate (business) product, since the Norton brand is reserved for Symantec's line of home consumer products.

If you read the info at huwyngr's link http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=security2.0, it says that "Security 2.0 is Symantec’s vision for transforming security from business inhibitor to business enabler".  Click on the Information Security Solutions tab and you will see that they are still referring to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP - currently v. 12.1.5) and other endpoint products for corporate customers.
-------------
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

@Imacri. As an admirer of your always informative and comprehensive posts over the years, I often wonder why YOU'RE not employed by Symantec.

They could do with your expertise !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi F4E:

Cheers, but Catweasel pointed out the same problem on the Amazon UK site <here> in the forum a few days ago.  I remember clicking on Catweasel's link and assuming the "2.0" typo was isolated to their UK site but the same mistake has apparently been replicated on several Amazon regional websites and is likely causing all sorts of confusion.
-------------

Kudos0

I am presently using NIS 2014. It expires in 10 days. If I renew the older version can you tell me the consequences.

thank you

Kudos1 Stats

Hello

If you renew your NIS, the license will be extended for another 366 days. You will continue to get updates like you are getting now. If you decide to get the newer products, after purchase of the newer product, you can get any remaining days left in your subscription transferred to the new product by having a chat with customer support.

Kudos0

There's a lot of confusion out there. If you search "Norton Security" you'll get Norton Security, Norton Security 2015, Norton Internet Security 2015 and Norton Security 2.0. A lot of sites use incorrect thumbnails for Norton products since the introduction of Norton Security.

Here's an example;

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/norton-security-2-0-5-device-1-year/10323618.aspx They're talking about Norton Security 5 devices 1 year. But they've titled it Norton Security 2.0 which is incorrect.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.18.x
Kudos0

Hi, SGFC.  I agree confusion reigns. There IS a Norton Security 2.0. It's an Enterprise Product.

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=security2.0

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos2 Stats

F4E:

There IS a Norton Security 2.0. It's an Enterprise Product. http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=security2.0

Hi F4E:

Are you sure "Symantec Security 2.0" isn't just a marketing buzz-phrase like the term Web 2.0, and not an actual product?

If you download the white paper at the above link, the introduction states "Organizations now recognize that this wide open world requires a new era of security—one that empowers, not inhibits, a business, and one that is focused more on protecting information and interactions, not just on protecting the infrastructure. Symantec calls this new era Security 2.0. This white paper provides insight into Security 2.0, why we are ready for it."
-------------

Kudos0

Imacri, you are right. Maybe the confusion only reigned in MY mind !...........

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Are you sure "Symantec Security 2.0" isn't just a marketing buzz-phrase like the term Web 2.0 (link is external), and not an actual product?

I was looking in BuyCheapSoftware last night and they use Norton Security 2 in their verbal descriptions even tho' the images just say Norton Security.  http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/symantec_cat~manufacturerID~22.asp   

Hugh
Kudos0

This is very strange. As it has been said, Amazon (I'm in the UK) have their Norton Security products listed as 2.0. I called Amazon this evening, and they have no idea why it is listed as 2.0. I said the 'mistake' was duplicated across Amazon (and elsewhere such as http://www.uktechstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1665#.VUkzCJOrEtV and http://www.ryman.co.uk/norton-internet-security-2-0-1-user-5-devices )
I also asked them to look at Norton site to compare and mentioned the Symantec enterprise version 2.0 and said I was concerned they might be selling this masquerading as a retail version and that I needed to know exactly what I was getting before ordering. Time is getting very short now. They will refer it to whoever lists these things.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, NS version 22.14.0.54 (as of April 2018), MBAM free, SUPERAntispyware,Trusteer Rapport

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.