• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security 22.8.0.50 SDS definition error

Live update saying it could not update definitions because Malwarebytes needs to be uninstalled. Running Windows 10 64 bit. I don't have Malwarebytes running or running on my pc with NS. I only use it as a on demand scanner when scanning once in a while. 

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Security 22.8.0.50 SDS definition error

You can skip uninstalling MBAM.  That is a scare campaign the developers included with 22.8.0.50. 

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Yeah but it would actually not install the sds definitions? Once I uninstalled Malwarebytes. Then ran live update. It installed the definitions. Then after that I reinstalled Malwarebytes. I think what triggered this problem in the first place. My first machine updated fine. I am using an Admin account. But, my other machine. I was using a limited account and ran live update for this new NS version. And that is when I got the error. I had for got I was not in my Admin account before doing the update.  

Are SDS definitions not a vital working part of NS? I thought it was. That is why I was kinda freaking out with the 2nd machine when it would not download the definitions. 

Kudos0

Probably a coincidence.  I just ran Live Update on the one machine still running Norton and the SDS Def's installed without prompting me to uninstall MBAM.

Kudos0

ran LU a few times with SDS failed > waited awhile > ran LU with SDS installed okay

Kudos0

@FattiesGoneWild:

I don't have Malwarebytes running or running on my pc with NS

vs:

Live update saying... Malwarebytes needs to be uninstalled

MBAM should be still active in background - had you ever checked the Processes by running WTM?

When it comes to...

I only use it (MBAM) as a on demand scanner when scanning once in a while. 

Then you can try:

Assuming you install the native version of AIK into your machine, open CMD AS ADMIN and cd into c:\progra~1\Windows AIK\Tools\x86
(Note, 8-dot-3 notation will be progra~2 if installed in 32-bit program files, on a 64-bit system)

Then, mount the image somewhere on the drive. This is generally how it works;
imagex /mountrw [wimloc] [index] [mountloc]
[wimloc] being the location of the image -- If drive F, f:\sources\boot.wim
[index] being the particular version of a system. Since we're just dealing with a WinPE WIM, there should be only one, so 1
[mountloc] being the mount location, in this case, assume we're mounting in c:\mbampe

Assuming the above, the example is:
imagex /mountrw f:\sources\boot.wim 1 c:\mbampe

After the mount prompts, install MBAM in [mountloc], configure whatever else you may need, then close all windows associated with [mountloc] and commit:
imagex /unmount /commit [mountloc]

Or by running the said Choice.exe:

(runmalwarebytes.bat)
@echo off
cd \Malwarebytes
set drive=%cd:~0,3%
echo %drive%
echo installing Malwarebytes
FOR %%M IN (mbam*.EXE) DO %%M /silent
echo.
choice /b /c:yn /t:n,5 PRESS Y TO UPDATE BEFORE RUN
if errorlevel 2 GOTO NOUP
if errorlevel 1 (
call update-rules.bat
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /scan -full -terminate
goto end
)
:NOUP
xcopy malwarebytes "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\malwarebytes" /y /s /c /d
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /scan -full -terminate
:end
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\unins000.exe" /SILENT

(Update-rules.bat)
@echo off
set drive=%cd:~0,3%
echo %drive%
if not exist "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" goto end
echo updating malwarebytes
"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update
xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\malwarebytes" %drive%\malwarebytes /y /s /c /d
:end

Use two (similar) security programs with caution:

• MBAM: "(is an) anti-malware and internet security software" + PUP hunter PRO (personally, due to "Aggressive PUP Policy")

(MBMA) previously detected only harmful or deceiving PUPs. Today, We're (have) revising (revised) our policy to include PUPs (since Jul 26, 2013)

Example 1: detected blackbird.jpg as Trojan.Agent

#2: flagged Microsoft Office 15's orgchart.exe as Ransom (aka, Ransomware).Crysis

• Norton provides award-winning antivirus and security software. For more info, plz pay a visit to Symantec's Risks page.

Case study #1: Norton 360 deleted (my) uTorrent

"False" Norton "Threat" PUA.Drivereasy uninstalls legitimate Windows program

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos1 Stats

Hi @20750065,

As you can probably understand, the free version of MBAM does not run in real time, only when opened, so it is highly unlikely to conflict with Norton.  I have run the Get Support Autofix tool and NS 22.8.0.50 detects the free version of MBAM is installed and recommends uninstalling it, but it is not the correct information.

Kudos0

You do not need MBAM to run in real time. The free version on demand is just fine. It is not uncommon for Live Update to fail. Wait 10-15 minutes and try again. It will most likely work. 

Kudos0

@Krusty13: So...

Norton has detected conflicting products....

• Files;
  • service (MBAMService, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware service, which should be located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe")
  • Registry entries  

(Update: my prior comment has been corrected.)

Again, from Google:

• MBAM: "(is an) anti-malware and internet security software...
  • Norton "provides award-winning antivirus and security software"

Then, just...

wait for official response; and update, update and update 

Cheers :) 

Off-topic info:

(based on an img from Kaspersky.com)

(Kaspersky did do something like scanning the disk and/or checking out its own conflicting software list during the install process - I just say (guess) so - and then detected conflicting/incompatible software)

PUP Hunter PRO: Just TRYING to save the world (U) from cyber threats, A single blog post, at a time, and ONCE & FOR ALL. (A fan of Nadia_Kovacs)
Kudos0

HitmanPro.Alert is overkill since Norton has exploit protection built in. I have MBAM Free and I did not get any sort of alerts when updating Norton to 22.8. On any of my pc's. 

Kudos0

PatsSoxBruins:  HitmanPro.Alert is overkill since Norton has exploit protection built in.

> does Norton offer ransomware protection > http://www.surfright.nl/en/cryptoguard
> does Norton offer for example protection as Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit or Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (beta).
Just asking.

Kudos0

You can have all the protection you want. It does not matter. Eventually it will fail. The best protection against ransomeware is to have everything backed up to an external hard drive and the cloud. Norton Security now has exploit protection built in. It can be found under the firewall settings. In order to have full protection from either Hitman Pro.alert or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit you need to pay. The best protection against exploits is to have an up to date system with up to date software. I always keep on top of all that. I also backup my hard drive regularly to an external hard drive along with a system image. Google Drive covers all my important pics and docs also. Best protection is not prevention. The best protection is being prepared for when your prevention does not work. 

Kudos0

PatsSoxBruins:  You can have all the protection you want. It does not matter. Eventually it will fail. The best protection against ransomeware is to have everything backed up to an external hard drive and the cloud.

Okay, I was just asking re Norton.  Yes, re backup. 

HitmanPro.Alert is overkill since Norton has exploit protection built in.

What exploits does Norton prevent..?

Best protection is not prevention. The best protection is being prepared for when your prevention does not work.

Thanks for clarification.   And HitmanPro.Alert is overkill...?

Kudos0

I am not a Norton developer so ask them. But people spent so much time, effort and money into protecting their system and rarely do they think about backing up. 

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/intro...

Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins: I am not a Norton developer so ask them.

Okay,  Regards
And > Norton Security will run and analyze unknown and suspicious files in an isolated protected virtual environment to see how they act before allowing the file to be run on the user's device. This helps to ensure the file is safe before it takes up residence and wreaks havoc on a user's device.
Thanks for reminding me, I need to backup.

Kudos0

I provided you a link to read on Norton's built in exploit protection. 

Kudos1 Stats

FattiesGoneWild:

Live update saying it could not update definitions because Malwarebytes needs to be uninstalled. Running Windows 10 64 bit. I don't have Malwarebytes running or running on my pc with NS. I only use it as a on demand scanner when scanning once in a while. 

HI FattiesGoneWild:

The good new is that Automatic LiveUpdate successfully delivered a new SDS Definitions set v20160927.008 update to my computer about an hour ago (C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NortonData\22.7.1.32\Definitions\SDSDefs\20160927.008).

The bad news is that I see the same annoying warning about MBAM that Krusty13 reported <here> when I run AutoFix (Help | Get Support).  I agree with his assessment that this is nothing more than a scare campaign.

I remember your 20-Feb-2013 thread Warning NIS 20.3.0.36 NOT compatible with Malwarebytes.  That time it took over 9 pages (and 480 posts) of user comments before Symantec finally relented and removed this warning per Tony Weiss' 10-Jun-2013 post <here>.  Let's hope it doesn't take them four months to respond to user complaints this time.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v49.0.1 * NIS v22.8.0.50 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Kudos0

Although not an SDS definition issue, I just updated to v22.8.0.50 and just had an IPS definition update fail.  Actually it failed several times.  After about 20 minutes it did finally update properly.  Maybe there's just some issues with the servers due to pushing out the new v22.8?

Kudos1 Stats

PatsSoxBruins:

HitmanPro.Alert is overkill since Norton has exploit protection built in. I have MBAM Free and I did not get any sort of alerts when updating Norton to 22.8. On any of my pc's. 

Download and run the HMP.A Exploit Test tool and tell me how many tests Norton passes.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/

Thanks.

Kudos0

I have no need to pay for any sort of security. I would rather spend my time enjoying my computer. I have everything backed up so honestly I could careless if I got infected. FYI...............telling someone to download a tool that Surfright made is like telling someone to download Comodo's tester. The "Wilders" paranoid way of protecting your pc is not necessary. Everything on my pc is up to date. Visiting sites such as Majorgeeks, FileHippo, Neowin and Softpedia keep you up to date. Outdated software or a browser is how most exploits happen.The best offense is not always have a good defense when it comes to malware. Having an up to date clean system image is the best protection any pc user can have. Get infected and cannot remove it. Mount your stored image. Get a locked screen for ransomware..........Mount your stored system image and be up and running like nothing ever happened.  

Kudos0

lmacri...............Why are you still running Vista 32bit and NIS? NIS has been upgraded to NS. This is the Norton Security part of the community anyhow. 

Kudos0

Telling a forum such as the Norton Community that Norton Security has exploit protection when it fails almost all tests put at it is also pointless, no?  I don't have a problem with how you protect your machine, but you said, " HitmanPro.Alert is overkill since Norton has exploit protection built in".  I'm simply saying their exploit protection isn't that good.

Here is another tool for you to complain about  -  https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1833584-how-do-i-know-if-malwarebytes-anti-exploit-is-working-correctly-?b_id=6440

Kudos0

So why are you using Norton when all you do is complain about it. Here and over at Wilders. I have NSS installed on several pc's. Each with MBAM Free on demand and never seen such a warning as you do. 

Kudos0

So why are you using Norton when all you do is complain about it.

Am I using Norton?

Feel free to ask the Admin, Mods and other Gurus, perhaps they can give you that answer.

Here and over at Wilders.

That shows me your lack of integrity.  If you are a member of Wilders' perhaps you should share your userame there.   PatsSoxBruins doesn't exist.

Where exactly have I complained about Norton, or any other program, hmm?  Please provide a link, or links.  I have not posted anything there I would not / will not post here.

Kudos0

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-protect-zero-day-exploit/

http://www.howtogeek.com/140262/htg-explains-what-is-a-zero-day-exploit-...

The first thing listed in the first article is "OS up to date" and the number 3 thing is keeping your software up to date. 

Krusty all you do is complain. Such as your post "why". 

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/why-5

Just because someone is not using the same name in another forums does not mean they are not registered there. You also do not need to be a member of Wilders to browse it. 

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discu...

Kudos0

@PatsSoxBruins,

This has gone so far off topic it isn't funny.  If you wish to continue this discussion please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks.

Kudos0

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discu...

That was not a complaint.  It was a warning to others using Norton.  Please read what I posted.

Kudos0

I thought Norton has superior protection?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-symantec-norton-thread.372604...

Ugly GUI

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-symantec-norton-thread.372604...

Ok that is enough to prove my point. Norton Security is a full suite. No need for any additional real time protection in my opinion. I can go to malc0de any time of the day and Norton blocks every single link. Norton passes AMTSO with flying colors. Phishing tank links are all blocked. It is extremely light and does it's job. Best thing is that is it absolutely free to Comcast customers. 

Using  "crap" is a direct complaint. 

Kudos0

Ha ha ha!  So that's the best you've got.  Pfft!  If you had the balls you would reply to my PM.

I stand by what I have posted here and elsewhere.

Remember, I said earlier, "I don't have a problem with how you protect your machine, but you said ..."

My Windows Defender machines still have not become infected. 

Now you started some sort of war with me.  Ha ha ha.

Kudos0

I thought Norton has superior protection?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-symantec-norton-thread.372604.

OMG Ha Ha Ha!  That was a reply to why I no longer run MBAM real-time! hahahashhahahahhahahahhaha

Also, feel free to notice what I posted under that...

FYI, 22.7.x has been pulled, just like the last 3 or 4 versions.

Kudos0

Kudos0

FYI...............that is not me. I never have registered at Wilders. Just browse it for haha's. Krusty please stop trying to justify your more than obvious contradictions. If you do not like Norton then why use it? The topic has gotten way out of hand now. Good day.

Kudos0

I have already said that discussions about HMP.A were off topic, but since it's out there:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-disc...

Symantec, you're welcome.

Kudos5 Stats

Hi folks, a friendly reminder to keep things civil on the Norton Community.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation
Kudos1 Stats

I guess Norton will be fixing this as its been flagged? I still get the error when manually running live update some times. I try again and it will go through. Other times it will keep failing but I guess eventually fix itself?

**EDIT**

Ah I see it under "HOT ISSUES" and they will be fixing it. Good to know.  

Kudos1 Stats

I am not a happy camper with whichever individual product manager who directed the coders to add this  FEAR inducing marketing ploy.  Uncivil words...   Uncivil words.... Uncivil words all for that product manager or "marketing committee"

I also am not able to update definitions with Norton Security About shows me at 22.8.0.50 level.

Malwarebytes free install but not running at time of the error.  It looks like they are just looking for the installation and bombing off.

A few years ago they also ran the same campaign and ONLY stopped it when the "tea kettle" that is the Internet was at boiling over level.  Said to see them repeat the mistakes of the past. 

I have a trio of my systems that were right at renewal point.  If this is the direction the company is going then I need to NOT renew and make a new vendor choice.   I do not think they really grasp how disappointing this direction is 

LY

Kudos0

And I have installed Malwarebytes Antimalware and no conflict with that Norton does not. Norton Security is the most compatible with other protective programs from other antivirus.

Kudos2 Stats

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. Our engineering team has reviewed the need to alert customers about Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.Alert upon install, and after inspecting the latest versions, we have removed these blocking alerts in the latest patch. Thank you.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.