• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security Admin Full Scan Taking Too Long After Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update

I run Norton Security full virus scan in Windows 10 using the "Run as Administrator" setting because while taking longer it is supposed to be from what I've read more thorough. But there's taking longer and there's taking longer. Since the anniversary update of Windows 10 to version 1607 it has been taking 4-5½ hours to compete a full scan and the thing that's taking so long is a list of files that say:

C:\Windows\Winsxs\Temp\PendingRenames\ (followed by numbers after the last backslash)

As a relative of mine would say this is time theft so what is going on Microsoft/Symantec?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Admin Full Scan Taking Too Long After Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update

How long ago did you install the Anniversary update?  Have you run Windows Disk Cleanup since the installation?

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Admin Full Scan Taking Too Long After Windows 10 1607 Anniversary Update

Delete Windows.old folder and run disk cleanup. Remove old Windows Update leftovers. Always clean up temp files, cookies and Windows Updates before running a full scan. This avoids scanning things which can be deleted. 

Kudos0

To answer SendOfJive; I installed the update some time in October and until the last 3-4 scans this has never happened .Truth is since upgrading to Windows 10 in Approx July/August 2015 from Windows 7 Home Premium I have never used disk cleanup as there has been no issue with full virus scans on administrative setting until now .Plus I also thought running the performance setting with Norton Security was also supposed to deal with deleting temporary files. I've also Googled this and others say the solution is the same as PatsSoxBruins's.So if doing that works then hopefully that resolves this.

Kudos0

As an alternative to deleting the Windows.old folder, you could exclude it from Norton scans in the Norton settings.  Since you did the installation relatively recently, I suspect that folder may be causing the long scan times - it is a huge folder that contains the old operating system files.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-d...

Kudos2 Stats

The "PendingRenames" data needs to be processed and\or cleaned by either the Windows "trusted installer" service, or as already mentioned by using disk cleanup to remove previous windows installations and windows update cleanup.

If your going to exclude the windows.old folder, open a command prompt as administrator and type:

net start TrustedInstaller

Give it about 10 minutes or so and see if that folder becomes processed (empty).

After a few windows 10 upgrades the folder sometimes holds tens of thousands of items and that is also going to take a long time to scan.

Dave

Kudos0

Norton does not perform a full Windows disk cleanup. I highly recommend using CCleaner. It can also remove Windows.old files. Norton just cleans some temp files from IE and small Windows stuff. It does not perform a full disk cleanup. You can see that in the settings. Norton or Windows disk cleaner will not remove temp files and cookies from other browsers such as Google Chrome and Firefox. 

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Kudos0

Well I've just used disc clean up to start with folks and it said there was 1.12GB of temporary files that could be deleted so when I next do a full scan as the administrator I'll see if that alone makes a difference. Thanks for the input.

Kudos0

Delete Windows.old also. See if there is anything else you can clean up such as other browser temp files. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.