• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Security Norton Toolbar 2015.1.0.24 (and other things)

A few things:

1. I've just installed Norton Security and noticed that the Norton Toolbar significantly slows down Firefox (33.1.1) when opening and closing (mostly it reports Firefox as not responding). This is unworkable for me, so I've disabled the Norton Toolbar. Just wondering if this is safe to do so.

2. Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't see an option in Norton Security to scan Microsoft Office files. Maybe I've missed it?

3. I can't find an option to set file trust levels when scanning like I could with Norton Internet Security. Is there any?

4. Finally, is there a way to pin the main menu down? You know, when the green arrow is clicked to reveal the Run Scans, LiveUpdate, History and Advanced options.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Security Norton Toolbar 2015.1.0.24 (and other things)

Anyone? Bueller?
Kudos0

Hi thommo14, Welcome to Norton Community! 

1. I do not use Firefox, perhaps, someone else is using FF could answer about your issue. I can only say that this does not    happen to me with IE11.

2. No, it includes an AntiSpam and scans all emails to removes any threats found.

3. This option has not been implemented for NS, but Norton Tasks performs scans to check files reliability that are on your computer while the  computer is idle.
If you want to manually check for a specific file, right-click on the file you want to scan, a NS window appears and you can choose to check its reliability or to flag him as a trusted file.

4. No, it is not possible, by design.

Here is the link to download the user manual.

Sandro
Kudos0

fwiw ~ I run NIS + FF and have same issue re Toolbar.  Once or twice a day FF not responding.  Another member sez it's the Toolbar.  So, not specific to NS but, may be specific to Toolbar.

Kudos0

Yeah, it's really annoying when Firefox stops responding when attempting to close. Just wondering if it is safe to disable the toolbar extension in the Firefox extension page. I see browser protection is still enabled when I do this, so was wondering if the extension and browser protection offer different protection.

Would be great if someone could clarify.

Kudos0

I had a similar problem on one machine with FF and I solved it by disabling Use hardware acceleration when available.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks for the advice, but I already have that enabled and it doesn't make any difference.

Kudos1 Stats

thommo14:

Thanks for the advice, but I already have that enabled and it doesn't make any difference.

Then try what Krusty13 wrote > disabling Use hardware acceleration when available.

Kudos0

Okay, still having issues. So can someone advise if it's safe to disable the toolbar in Firefox. Norton Security still reports browser protection as enabled; just trying to find out if the toolbar and browser protection are seperate utilities.

Kudos0

thommo14:

Okay, still having issues. So can someone advise if it's safe to disable the toolbar in Firefox. Norton Security still reports browser protection as enabled; just trying to find out if the toolbar and browser protection are separate utilities.

When you disable Firefox Toolbar.  You loose functions of the Toolbar as you know.  Norton Vulnerably Protection uses direct injection.  So, you retain NVP.   Have you considered a refresh install of NS.  If your issue was wildly known.  The Community would have heard more about it.  Granted some do point to the Toolbar as causal to issues with Firefox.  But, to eliminate a possible corrupt install.  I would do an over install of Firefox and I would refresh Norton install running the NRnR Tool.  Read the DOC and watch video.  Then after if NS does not satisfy you may request refund with in 60 days of purchase.  I'm sure if you reported your issue to Support.  They would start with a remote access Norton re-install as that seems to be the playbook.  Then go to FF.  Support would not prompt to disable the Toolbar. 
Please elaborate on current Firefox issues that you suspect are Toolbar related.  This will help those that monitor these boards.
Have you posted FF version & your OS info
Over 2 U

Kudos0

I have tried Norton Autofix from within the installation, but no issues were found. I can live without the toolbar as long as it doesn't lessen my security. Thanks for the suggestions; I may reinstall when I have the time.

Maybe there could be compatibility issues with the Firedox add-ons I have installed? For the record, I have NoScript, AdBlock Plus and Web of Trust. These three are essential for me, so there's no way I would ever consider disabling them, but some food for thought perhaps.

Firefox 33.1.1
Norton Security 22.0.2.17

Kudos0

Running the same three and more...have you disabled hardware acceleration as Krusty13 prompted
Seems a shame to disable a feature on a new service...but, as you wish.
When you ready re-read Permalink

Kudos0

Hi, thommo14. The suggestion I always make when there are problems with toolbar and browser functions, is to run Live Update until no more are found to make sure all patches are in, and THEN download a fresh copy of Firefox from Mozilla, and over install your current version.

Try rebooting after, and see if that helps things.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I see that there is a Norton Toolbar update in today's LiveUpdate, but I see nothing documented on what it does.  Will this effect the situation noted here?

David

Kudos0

dforrest:

I see that there is a Norton Toolbar update in today's LiveUpdate, but I see nothing documented on what it does.  Will this effect the situation noted here?

Probably FF 34 Support for Toolbar <link>    You may subscribe to Product Update Announcements

Kudos0

I have just ran LiveUpdate and was asked to reboot after. Enabled the toolbar after reboot, but it's still slows Firefox down and stops responding when opening and closing the browser.

I got a message about a script not responding which I didn't see prior to this latest LiveUpdate:

Script: chrome://browser/content/browser.js:7274

No sure it's related to the toolbar, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Kudos0

I believe FF34 will be released tomorrow. Maybe that will help.

Jim

Kudos0

It's for Firefox 34. Run Live Update first until no more are found, apply the patch, and then update to FF 34.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Ran LiveUpdate until there was no more, updated to Firefox 34 and still the issue continues.

I'm sure the script error is to do with the toolbar because I only see it when I enable it. Here's another error I received after updating to Firefox 34:

Script: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml:709

This is a warning about an unrespondive script running in Firefox. When I click to stop the script, Firefox starts behaving.

Kudos0

Hi, thommo14. Are you running Chrome, as well ? For Firefox it might be worth uninstalling, and doing a fresh install pulled down from Mozilla. You can back up your Firefox settings with FEBE. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/febe/

Chrome has been known to cause toolbar problems, ever since Google changed the rules re extensions.

Firefox tends to throw these unresponsive script warnings from time to time. I just close the browser, and relaunch it.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Hi F4E, no I don't have Chrome installed; I only use Firefox. I have also tried to rebooting after these script messages, but it Firefox is still unresponsive with the Norton Toolbar enabled. I've had to disable it for the time being in the hope someone can suggest something I'm not thinking of, or there's a fix released.

Kudos0

Hi, thommo14. What is your operating system ? Are you running Windows 7, or 8 ?

If Windows 8 it's suggested to disable the fast start feature and ensure that you have done a full shut down in Windows 8 which is required by Norton to fully update.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc

Have you reinstalled and/or updated NS ? The latest version is 22.0.2.17.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Yeah, first thing I do with a new Windows 8 install is to disable fast startup. I am running the latest version of NS and have also updated, but still no joy.

Kudos0

Yes, F4E, first thing I do with a new Windows 8 install is to disable fast startup. I am also running the latest version of Norton Security and have updated that and Firefox (including plugins), but still no joy.

Kudos0

Ok, so you've fully shut Windows down after running Live Update and then done as I suggested, and downloaded a fresh install of Firefox over your current install?

If you have, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be compatible.

If still a problem, a complete uninstall and reinstall of Firefox might be the only way to get them to play well together.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I have a fresh dl and install, less than a day old, and still cannot get the toolbar to work

I also use FF

Live everyday as if it's your last and eventually it will be. You'll be fully prepared.
Kudos0

Yes, I've done all that. And I'm not saying it's not compatible - I wouldn't be having this problem if the add-on wasn't compatible! Yes, most people seem to be fine with the toolbar installed in Firefox, but as you can see above, RogueSeraph257 is also having issues with a fresh install.

As mentioned previously, I've had to disable the toolbar for the time being in order for my Firefox to work properly. Maybe there will be a fix from either Norton or Firefox at some point.

Kudos0

thommo, in your first post, you mention the problem is with FF 33.

Any reason you're not running V 34.0.5. ? Norton is not supporting some earlier Firefox versions.

However, it is compatible with FF 33. This info may help, and updating to FF 34 should fix things..

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/kb20100122090203EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Possibly because this thread was started on the 27th of November?? 

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Possibly, young Krusty. As a retired person dates mean little here, in Chez F4E !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I am running the latest version of Firefox. Next :)

Kudos0

Short of a reinstall of both NS and Firefox, I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully, a Windows 8 user might have some advice.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

I have installed Norton Security in a Windows XP virtual machine multiple times (using the same snapshot). Each time the Norton Toolbar caused Firefox 33 to become unresponsive.

My dad is running Norton Internet Security 21 and has complained of Firefox not responding/slow (I cannot remember how he described it) on startup. I have not checked the cause, though.

Kudos2 Stats

thommo14:

Just wondering if it is safe to disable the toolbar extension in the Firefox extension page. I see browser protection is still enabled when I do this, so was wondering if the extension and browser protection offer different protection.

Hi thommo14:

The support article About Norton Toolbar has a short a description of the options you can add/remove and would lose if you disabled the Norton Toolbar (NTB).  Your Web of Trust (WOT) add-on essentially replicates the function of Norton Safe Web, so the most useful feature you'd lose would likely be the Norton Identity Safe for login and password management.

Intrusion and Browser Protection will not be affected if you disable your NTB - see the support article About the Intrusion and Browser Protection Settings for information on these features.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 34.0.5 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * MBAM Premium 2.0.4
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

lmacri:

Intrusion and Browser Protection will not be affected if you disable your NTB - see the support article About the Intrusion and Browser Protection Settings for information on these features.

Wonder where I got the idea....phishing protection and blocking malicious websites was linked to Toolbar SafeWeb?

Kudos0

thommo14:

Maybe there could be compatibility issues with the Firedox add-ons I have installed? For the record, I have NoScript, AdBlock Plus and Web of Trust.

Hi thommo14:

I have no idea if your unresponsive script errors are related to your problems with the Norton Toolbar (NTB), but I found two threads in the Mozilla Firefox Help forum discussing error messages Script: chrome://browser/content/browser.js and Script: chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml:
     My firefox always freezed for a long time and latter show this message "Script: chrome://... 
     HELP! Browser STUCK . I have vital info to save!

In the both threads the OP was asked if they were running a script debugger, so I'm wondering if your NoScript add-on is corrupted or somehow involved.  I know there are Norton users in this forum who have no problem using NoScript in their Firefox browser, but most are still using Norton Internet Security v. 21.x (NTB v. 2014.7.10.12) so it's always possible there's a compatibility issue with the NTB in Norton Security v. 22.x (NTB v. 2015.2.0.11) and NoScript.

In one of these threads the OP solved their unresponsive script errors by resetting their Firefox browser to create a new Firefox user profile  - see the support articles Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems as well as Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems for instructions.  As noted here, the Firefox reset will transfer items like bookmarks and cookies to the new profile but you would have to reinstall NoScript, Adblock Plus and WOT and reconfigure any custom settings you made in Tools | Options.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 34.0.5 * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * MBAM Premium 2.0.4
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Kudos0

lmacri:

Please confirm that since Intrusion and Browser protection have discrete settings.    Intrusion and Browsing Protection are NOT affected by Toolbar disable. 

So, Toolbar disable only affects SafeWeb / ID Safe / SafeSearch / SafeShare.    So, it's not that bad to disable Toolbar.  As you suggest WOT or Webutation + an alternate password manager would satisfy.   So, why is Toolbar so problematic ?

Kudos0

1. This is a very popular issue for many years. That is why I personally for what to write drivers for URL verification. 

Kudos0

CorvusCorax47:

1. This is a very popular issue for many years. That is why I personally for what to write drivers for URL verification. 

In those products that offer real time site rating.  Users complain "slow" opening sites.  So, a quandary.   Protection vs function. 

Kudos1 Stats

Indeed this was the place to be ... a few years ago. 

If you install Kaspersky products or ESET, you will not notice any slowdowns.

Kudos1 Stats

CorvusCorax47:

If you install Kaspersky products or ESET, you will not notice any slowdowns.

Perhaps, but the overall performance of your computer with Kaspersky degrade enough compared to Norton products.

Sandro
Kudos0

CorvusCorax47:

Indeed this was the place to be ... a few years ago.   If you install Kaspersky products or ESET, you will not notice any slowdowns.

Aha !    More great info.   Wonder why Norton does not utilize real time URL scanning.   Does K and E use "cloud" for URL scan as rating may update frequently.  I know K maintains an huge dynamic whitelist.  I feel this adds to K protection v Norton default allow blacklist deny.  Granted N has user reputation but, not the same imo as known good dynamic "whitelist".  I think that's where K has advantage.  

Kudos0

Sandro_cm:

Perhaps, but the overall performance of your computer with Kaspersky degrade enough compared to Norton products.

Really, more great info....

Kudos0

I'm not going to get into a debate about what product is superior but that statement is simply isn't true (in my case anyway). I run Norton Security and Kaspersky Internet Security on my main desktop machines and have not experienced any performance related issues with Kaspersky. As I said, I'm not claiming one is better that the other, but just putting forward my own expereience.

Oh, and the Norton Toolbar issue remains, but I've switched it off while waiting for updates that will maybe resolve the issue.

Kudos0

When I use NS with FireFox I have an annoying delay in closing pop-open windows. I have no issues closing tabs instantly. I have FireFox set to open new windows in tabs, but some sites over-ride this.(I believe I raised this issue in an earlier post.) Usually my FireFox will also close instantly, although on occasion FireFox will stop responding and can only be closed with Task Manager. It never occurred to me before reading this thread that my FireFox issues, which can be extremely annoying, may have been the result of the toolbar.

Also, tonight in addition to the Norton toolbar a huge Norton Safe Search bar powered by Ask as a search engine appeared for the first time. Hopefully this was not some PUP or PUA masquerading as a Norton safe search bar. It was twice the size of the normal Norton toolbar and was only for safe search. It appeared while I had a safe search window in my Norton Tool bar. I was able to set rid of it only by disabling safe search from the Norton tool bar. It was very strange. I scan my PC several times a day with Hitman Pro and it showed no PUPs or PUAs.

Kudos0

Hello hok

The Safe Search bar is part of the Norton tool bar. It is NOT a pup or pua.. If you use that Search, you will get just the Norton safe sites. When I look for something with Google, it will also put the same thing I am searching for in the Norton Search part also.

It's part of Safe Surfing in the Settings.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

hok

Also, tonight in addition to the Norton toolbar a huge Norton Safe Search bar powered by Ask as a search engine appeared for the first time.

As noted, the Safe Search is not a separate toolbar, but is part of the Norton Toolbar. It just moves everything to the right. If your's is not displaying correctly, start by restarting Firefox. If you still have a separate toolbar for Safe Search, try restarting your computer.

If you still have issues, have you checked your graphics drivers are up to date?

Or you can disable it again by clicking on the 3 dots on the Norton Toolbar and clicking to turn off Safe Search. Then restart the browser for the changes to take affect.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi,hok. If you don't want ASK as your search engine, and I can't think of anyone who does !, you can just use Google as your home page and search from there, or make Google or whoever else you may prefer by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in the Search area top right of the screen, and in the drop down, select the search engine you want.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

peterweb:

hok

Also, tonight in addition to the Norton toolbar a huge Norton Safe Search bar powered by Ask as a search engine appeared for the first time.

As noted, the Safe Search is not a separate toolbar, but is part of the Norton Toolbar. It just moves everything to the right. If your's is not displaying correctly, start by restarting Firefox. If you still have a separate toolbar for Safe Search, try restarting your computer.

If you still have issues, have you checked your graphics drivers are up to date?

Or you can disable it again by clicking on the 3 dots on the Norton Toolbar and clicking to turn off Safe Search. Then restart the browser for the changes to take affect.

Hi peterweb :-)

I just disabled Safe Search -- it was never important to me. But it  was totally weird having a separate Safe Search bar in addition to the Norton Toolbar that  also had a Safe Search window. This separate Norton Safe Search bar was huge. It was twice the height of the Norton Toolbar, so along with the Norton toll bar, The Norton Bars were taking up between an eigth to a quarter of my window.. I didn't reboot my PC but I did restart FF and that did no good. If it happens again I'll try a reboot. All my drivers are up to date. I have no idea how/why it happened. It never appeared before.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.