• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar did not update for Firefox 16 yet I am running NIS 20.1.1.2

My Norton Internet Security updated to version 20.1.1.2 but my Norton Toolbar is at 2113.1.1.4 which Firefox says is not compatible for Firefox 16.  I do not want to reinstall NIS since I would lose the ability to have local storage for my password vault.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar did not update for Firefox 16 yet I am running NIS 20.1.1.2

PaulGo wrote:

My Norton Internet Security updated to version 20.1.1.2 but my Norton Toolbar is at 2113.1.1.4 which Firefox says is not compatible for Firefox 16.  I do not want to reinstall NIS since I would lose the ability to have local storage for my password vault.

The first step here is to keep manually running LiveUpdate until you do get the correct Toolbar version.

Something else to remember, experience in the forum is that you should wait to update Firefox until after you receive the necessary update for the Norton Toolbar.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

I tried running live update about 6 or seven times.  The problem is NIS is at the correct version but the toolbar extension did not update.  I went into the directory where NIS is stored and everything got updated except the file needed to update the toolbar.

Kudos0

PaulGo wrote:

I tried running live update about 6 or seven times.  The problem is NIS is at the correct version but the toolbar extension did not update.  I went into the directory where NIS is stored and everything got updated except the file needed to update the toolbar.

Depending where in the world you reside, it can sometimes take time to get updates to all servers in the world.

I know the writeups for the 2013 versions say no reboots are necessary for updates, but there still seem to be some updates that require the reboot.

Have you rebooted? Then run LiveUpdate again until no updates are available, and reboot once more.

FWIW  My version of Firefox 15.0.1 does not even offer an upgrade yet, so this may not be an issue yet.

See if this helps.

Kudos0

Agreed. I'm seeing the same thing a couple days later. I've updated and restarted several times, yesterday and today. NIS 2013 seems to think it's fully up to date. But Firefox is still showing a 2013.1.1.4 version for the Norton Toolbar. With Firefox 16 about to release (no, really this time), I'd like to not have my Norton Toolbar disappear. Thanks.

Kudos0

My computer has been updater to the latest version of NIS as stated in the version number.  My other desktop computer received the same update and is on the latest version of NIS also.  So it's not a matter of getting the update.  The problem is the toolbar did not update.  I have rebooted sever times on my laptop and again manually tried the live update several more times.  But I really don't believe it can help since NIS live update detects it is already on the latest version.  I compared the files on both computers the only difference is the toolbar bile that did not update.

Kudos0

Mozilla just pushed the release button on Firefox 16.0.1 

So... now what? The Norton Toolbar update is NOT coming through with the Live Update, as described more than once by the original poster.

Kudos0

@ ALL,

Please run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until LiveUpdate responds as show in the screenshot - "no updates found".   This is the screen you must see in order to ensure all the LiveUpdates are downlaoded and installed.  Anythingother than this - continue to run LiveUpdate until this screen appears.

If you have already installed FF 16 (and now FF 16.0.1) prior to obtaining the correct NTB add-on (2013.1.3.1) then you may have broken the update sequence within Norton.  It is recommended that Nortot be updated prior to installing the new version of FF. 

There is a long somewhat drawn out procedure for correcting this - the same one documented many times in the past, so if anyone needs that let us know.  You'll know you need it if you can not obtain the correct NTB version and see the "no updates found"

Kudos0

There is a long somewhat drawn out procedure for correcting this - the same one documented many times in the past, so if anyone needs that let us know.  You'll know you need it if you can not obtain the correct NTB version and see the "no updates found"

Hi,

I am one of the users that have this problem and already got the "no updates found", so I will be grateful if you direct me (us) to the proper solution.

Thanks a lot!

Enrique DiazruanovaWindows 7 Home Premium (x64bit) - NIS 2013 Ver. 20.1.1.2 - RAM: 8Gb - CPU Intel Corei7 860 @ 2.90 GHz - Graphic Card ATI-Radeon HD-5670
Kudos0

Diazruanova wrote:
Hi,

I am one of the users that have this problem and already got the "no updates found", so I will be grateful if you direct me (us) to the proper solution.

Thanks a lot!

Please do the following in the exact order I list:

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 16.01 from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of Firefox.

Download a fresh copy of NIS 20.1.1.2  from here: www.norton.com/nis20

If you use Identity Safe, backup your Identity Safe data. Due to the critical nature of the information contained in ID safe we would recommend backing that up manually first just as a precaution even though you will choose to retain all settings when removing NIS.

Remove NIS using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of NIS.. Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond that there are no updates found(rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate).

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox 16.0.1 and look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2013.1.3.1 and Norton Vulernability Protection 11.1.1.5-2 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 16.01?

For those of you who may be using other Norton version 20 series products, here are the downloads for them.  Simply change the name of the Norton product removed and installed in the instructions to match your install.

NAV - www.norton.com/nav20

N360 Standard - www.norton.com/n360s_20

N360 Premier - www.norton.com/n360p_20

Kudos0

Thank you very much for your kind attention, I´ll follow your instructions!

Greetings

Enrique DiazruanovaWindows 7 Home Premium (x64bit) - NIS 2013 Ver. 20.1.1.2 - RAM: 8Gb - CPU Intel Corei7 860 @ 2.90 GHz - Graphic Card ATI-Radeon HD-5670
Kudos0

Diazruanova wrote:

Greetings

Please post back with your results and if you have any questions during the process.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Diazruanova wrote:

Greetings

Please post back with your results and if you have any questions during the process.

Done!!! complete success, but let me tell you that being as lazy as I am      and since I already had FFx latest version 16.0.1,  I took the risk and downloaded only NIS from the link you provided. UN-installed it, re-booted, re-installed it, and re-booted three more times with all the  required "live updates" included and voila!!! problem solved

...and again, thank you very much for your directions.

Best!

Kudos0

Diazruanova wrote:
Done!!! complete success, but let me tell you that being as lazy as I am      and since I already had FFx latest version 16.0.1,  I took the risk and downloaded only NIS from the link you provided. UN-installed it, re-booted, re-installed it, and re-booted three more times with all the  required "live updates" included and voila!!! problem solved

...and again, thank you very much for your directions.

Best!

I am glad everything worked out fine, and you  are most welcome for the instructions - oh and BTW - I think you got lucky taking that shortcut - from past experience -  not everyone may be as lucky 

Kudos0

My main concern with uninstalling and reinstalling NIS is keeping the local Identity Safe Vault instead of the one in the cloud which I do not want.  Can I safely do a reinstall? 

Kudos0

PaulGo wrote:

My main concern with uninstalling and reinstalling NIS is keeping the local Identity Safe Vault instead of the one in the cloud which I do not want.  Can I safely do a reinstall? 

Hi PaulGo,

Since you state you are already on NIS 2013 (20.1.1.2) and you do not have the Local Vault, you will need to revert back to NIS 2012 in order to regain the Local Vault.  You will only be able to have a Local Vault on NIS 2013 in your present situation, by uninstalling 2013, reinstalling 2012 and then over the top upgrading back to 2013.

It's your decision.

Kudos0

Hi Paul,

Many of us are sticking with the 2012 versions of Norton products for this reason.

Cheers,

Dave

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Unfortunately will all due respect - that sucks!   Why eliminate a feature and only have it available if you do an upgrade and not a new install?  It appears the software code for a local vault is still in NIS 2013 but Symantec appears to say "We know what's best for you".   Also, with the auto update now in Firefox the problem with updating the toolbar before Firefox gets updated needs to be fixed ASAP.   Unfortunately I am becoming disillusioned with all the "new" improvements Symantec is making!

Kudos1 Stats

PaulGo wrote:

Unfortunately will all due respect - that sucks!   Why eliminate a feature and only have it available if you do an upgrade and not a new install?  It appears the software code for a local vault is still in NIS 2013 but Symantec appears to say "We know what's best for you".   Also, with the auto update now in Firefox the problem with updating the toolbar before Firefox gets updated needs to be fixed ASAP.   Unfortunately I am becoming disillusioned with all the "new" improvements Symantec is making!

Hi PaulGo,

I have suggested many times before in other threads to change a setting in Firefox to prevent updates from getting automatically  installed.  From the Menu Bar in FF > Tools > Options > Advanced Tab > Firefox updates > select "Check for updats, but let me choose whether to install them". This will give the option to not install the FF update until after the Norton update is installed.

Kudos0

PaulGo wrote:

I still do not understand why users blame Norton for this situation. It is Mozilla that took the decision to release a new version every month or two. This cuts the time available for a software developer (Norton, etc) to be able to validate their software for the new version. Usually software is upgraded annually, giving ample time to make all the checks necessary to ensure compatibility.

More people should be complaining to Mozilla and getting them to go back to the old upgrade model.

Kudos0

If the Norton toolbar does not work because is has not been updated yet that's OK.  But to have the Norton toolbar fail to update because the new version of Firefox was installed is Symantec's fault.  Using NIS 2012 I never had this problem and the toolbar would always update even after the install of a newer version of Firefox.  The programming in NIS 2013 needs to be fixed so this does not happen.  Also, Symantec has still not provided a satisfactory answer as to why they decided to remove local storage as an option for NIS 2013!

Kudos0

Hi,

I've just updated my copy of FF and the toolbar remains visible and usable. I'm also running a currnet copy of NIS. Try rebooting and post back if you are still having problems

Thanks

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

I agree with PaulGo. Installing a newer, unsupported Firefox was never a problem in NIS2012 (earlier?). The toolbar would be inactive until Live Update caught up. That worked; I knew what to expect. This, if you're saying is the new accepted method, does not work.

Kudos0

I have rebooted and tried updating numerous times.  The toolbar sill is stuck on the non-compatible version.  What you did was update NIS first and then Firefox which works.  It appears the problem may happen if you update Firefox first (which now may automatically happen).

Kudos0

PaulGo wrote:

I have rebooted and tried updating numerous times.  The toolbar sill is stuck on the non-compatible version.  What you did was update NIS first and then Firefox which works.  It appears the problem may happen if you update Firefox first (which now may automatically happen).

The current situation with the updates is not right, I agree.

What I have done is go into the settings for Firefox and set the option to Check for updates, but let me choose when to install. That way I can make sure Norton is updated first.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.