• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar disappeared from Firefox 40, 40.0.2, and 40.0.3

I'm using Windows 7 with NIS 21.7.0.11  (that's the latest version Liveupdate gives me)

I was breezing along today using Firefox 40.0.2, when I looked up and noticed the Norton Toolbar had completely disappeared.  It was there earlier today.   I had previously had Toolbar version 2014.7.12.35, and until now it would show up normally in the Firefox Add-ons.  It's not that it is merely disabled.  It cannot be found by clicking in the top Firefox menu bar on View>Toolbars>Norton Toolbar; there is no entry there for Norton Toolbar.  Likewise, when I open the Firefox Add-ons page, there is no evidence of Norton Toolbar at all under extensions.   Norton Toolbar is still present in Internet Explorer.  Everything is enabled in the Norton control panel GUI settings.

So I uninstalled Firefox 40.0.2, and installed Firefox 40.0.  Still no trace of a Norton Toolbar.   So I uninstalled Firefox 40.0, and just installed Firefox 40.0.3.  Still no Norton Toolbar.  Any suggestions?    Do I need to do a clean install of NIS?

Thanks!

BTW, if a moderator sees this, I just noticed in the "Labels" section below, it says "Norton Tollbar" instead of "Toolbar."

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar disappeared from Firefox 40, 40.0.2, and 40.0.3

Would you like to update NIS v21.7.0.11 to NIS v22.5.2.15.  Or, do you prefer v21.7.0.11
Please see: Norton Product Update 22.5.2.15 for Windows 10 Compatibility and My Norton product looks different  and Get Ready For Some Big Updates!
If you want v22.5.2.15 you can try Check for New Version by right click Norton tray Icon

Firefox 40 Support for Norton Toolbar

Kudos0

I was hoping to just stick with NIS 21.7.0.11 for 3-4 weeks until subscription expires, and I move to NS.   I wondered why LiveUpdate didn't automatically upgrade me from v. 21 to v. 22.  I had seen some reports in the forum where people didn't like v. 22 as much.  Has that settled down? 

I guess I could try v. 22, and if I don't like it, go ahead and make the move to NS.  Will v. 22 likely restore my Norton Toolbar?  I already had the latest Toolbar for v. 21 (2014.7.12.35), and it had been working with Firefox 40 the last few days, but not sure why it disappeared out of the blue today.

I'll probably try v. 22 and see what happens.  Is it installed directly on top of v. 21, or should I download the installer and manually remove v. 21?

Thanks.

Kudos0

Actually, NIS v22.5.2.15 is Norton Security v22.5.2.15

Features and enhancements from Norton Security v22 were folded into v21.
So, NIS v21.7.0.11 becomes NIS v22.5.2.15 and that sorta' equals Norton Security v22.5.2.15 except for licensing terms.  NIS retains 3 seats.
You probably have Automatic Download of New Versions Off
As I posted earlier Permalink > For NIS/NAV/N360 versions 18,19,20 & 21, the update is available via Norton Update Center or through your product via About > Get Latest Version.

If you updated to Firefox 40 before the compatibility patch for FF 40 was on-board.  That may be why Toolbar is not showing. 

Please review > HOT ISSUES & FIXES - NIS/NAV/N360 22.5

If you still want NIS v22.5.2.15 the update is available via Norton Update Center

Kudos0

No, I always wait until the patch is released each time.  And it worked for several days with FF 40, and even 40.0.2  earlier today.

In the link you provided above to "Hot Issues and Fixes", I see no reference there to Norton Toolbar or Firefox, so I was not sure what you were trying to illustrate there.

In any case, I'll probably just make the move to full-blown NS.   I'll uninstall Firefox before installing the NS.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Pointing to Hot Issues was because you run v21 now and v22 has some issues.  
Let me test my Firefox setup and get back to you. 

FF 40.0.3 running with Toolbar okay.   Do you find Toolbar with Extensions = Enabled and any chance Toolbar is hidden.
Right click space under address bar and see if Toolbar is checked. 

Kudos0

Not sure where you are looking for "Toolbar with Extensions = enabled".   If you are looking at Tools>Add-ons>extensions, then I no longer have any evidence of Norton Toolbar there at all.  Until today, it would show the version number and offer choices to enable or disable.  No trace now.  My other extensions still there.  I had looked there before starting this thread.

Also when I click View>Toolbars, there is no Norton Toolbar as a choice.

"Right click space under address bar and see if Toolbar is checked. "

There's only the tiniest sliver of space under the address bar.  When I right-click it, it has options for Menu Bar, Bookmarks Toolbar, and Customize, but nothing about Norton Toolbar.

Kudos0

Hmm, something went goofy. 
Can you run LiveUpdate several times till no updates found and restart.

[Update: A patch (Toolbar: 2014.7.12.35) has been released to get the Signed/Verified Norton Toolbar for Firefox - Targets 21.7.0.11 products on 24-Aug-2015]

Kudos0

No change.   I think I will uninstall Firefox, then reinstall either NIS v.21 or v. 22 (probably the latter). Then re-install Firefox.

Kudos0

Yeah, I'd point you to NRnR Tool but, that will refresh NIS to v22.5.2.15

Kudos1 Stats

Good news:

I uninstalled Firefox 40, uninstalled NIS v. 21, ran the removal tool, and installed v22.5.2.15.  Then installed Firefox 40.0.3.

All is well!  The toolbar is back.  Now I just have to get used to the new look of the Norton program interface. :)

Thanks for your help.

Kudos0

Good news:  Thanks

Kudos0

Hi, guys - I went from Firefox 40.0.2 to 40.0.3, 2 days ago (running Vista Ult. x86) and upon restarting Firefox, I found that both the Norton toolbar & identity safe had vanished. No big deal; it's happened before. Did live updates/reboots & tried autofix without success in getting a resolution. Oddly though, I have a single FF session open, with 2 open tabs - one tab has no visible Norton toolbar, and the other tab which I am posting from is showing the toolbar onscreen. (No identity safe to be found just yet but I' m still working on that). Just out of curiosity, is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I'm on 21.7.0.11& would prefer to stay there for the time being...

Thanks -

Kudos1 Stats

Hello BCescot

Have you tried to reinstall Firefox to see if a fresh install of it would help? Do you have the current toolbar version for your Norton product and version of the product?

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi Floplot:

Have to admit I jumped the gun by going to Firefox 40.0.3 before it was cleared. Apparently I don't learn from my mistakes as this is the 2nd time I did this in the last year. Just nuked/reinstalled FF 40 & got my toolbar back. All is well again

Thanks for stepping up...;-)

Kudos0

Hello BCescot

I'm glad that your issue is now fixed. Enjoy the Web, but be careful out there. 

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thank you. This worked for me as well.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.