• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar & Identity Safe incompatible with Firefox 41.0.1

Firefox has issued a new version, 41.0.1, which includes security updates.  The new version disables the Norton Toolbar (version 2015.5.4.10) and Identity Safe.  Per the Firefox Tools/Add-ons drop-down, "Norton Toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 41.0.1."  Thus, Norton Toolbar and Identity Safe are not currently usable for Firefox users who update their browser to get the latest available security updates.  Symantec needs to develop an update to Norton Internet Security which makes them usable again.

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar & Identity Safe incompatible with Firefox 41.0.1

hi Pete

You may wish to read the announcement from Norton regarding FF which can be seen from the link below:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-41-and-norton-toolbar-compatibility-1

Michael

Kudos2 Stats

Hi all- I read the info at the posted link. It said Norton planned to address the issue in a "future release" some time after October. This is really dis-heartening. One of the prime reasons I use Norton is for the identity safe toolbar. Now I have to choose between a more secure Firefox (which I will not give up) and the Norton Security without the toolbar. Please, Symantec, listen to your subscribers. Fred
Kudos0

Hello Fred

This is only a temporary problem while the Toolbar is being remodeled so to speak. The new Toolbar will work better once it is finished. You can use another password manager during this time. You can do one of the workarounds that are mentioned in that link. There are other layers of protection in Norton which will protect you also. Think of it as a detour for now. Once the construction is finished, it will be more efficient.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Great to know because I just tried to enable my Norton toolbar and saw the same issue...Thanks all!

Kudos0

Hello All

While the Norton Toolbar for Firefox has been decommissioned for Firefox 41, you can use Firefox ESR. That is the corporate version of Firefox. You can read about this version of Firefox in this link.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

I'm sorry, I do not understand...what is the issue that killed the toolbar and when can I expect it to be restored...this was a major issue in purchasing this product and to lose the functionality seriously undermines the value.

What is symantec doing about this ?

If Symantec knew about this, why were we not warned to avoid the Firefox upgrade ?

Kudos0

jjbucci: I'm sorry, I do not understand...what is the issue that killed the toolbar and when can I expect it to be restored...

Please review > Firefox 41 and Norton Toolbar compatibility

Compatibility of Norton Toolbar and Norton Identity Safe with Mozilla Firefox version 41

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-toolbar-extension-will-not-be-compatible-firefox-41-eta-fix-late-october

You may Subscribe to Product Update Announcements Blog <here>.
You may Subscribe to any Topic/Forum

Kudos0

Hello jjbucci

You should change the setting in Firefox to notify you when there is an update and let you decide when to install it. You should only install the Firefox update after you have received the updated Norton Toolbar for Firefox. This is for future updates since it appears you have already updated to 41 without getting the updated Norton Toolbar since it hasn't been released yet.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Floplot is right on. If you set the Firefox update to notify, then check it out before you download & install, you will find out any incompatibilities. I have always checked first, and it was very clear that Firefox 41 would not initially support the Norton toolbar. So I have not installed it yet, but am waiting for the "all clear" signal. It is usual that Norton does not have their toolbar available on initial release dates of Firefox updates, so this saves a lot of grief. Cheers!
Kudos0

Hello

Unfortunately, this time it is taking longer than usual since Norton is completely rebuilding the Norton Toolbar for Firefox. It may be troublesome for now, but hopefully in the future once it's completed in total, it will work better for those of you who use Firefox.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Error in posting.

Kudos1 Stats

Not good enough!  We pay good money for Norton products and no commitment as to exactly when the problem will be solved is total BS.  You said "sometime in October"...  Look at the calendar...  It's now mid-November.  Dirtbag company is not interested in the customers...  Just taking their money.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.