• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton Toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 35.0

I updated Firefox to 35.0 - (please note this is not 3.5) and to solve my issue tried uninstall, then reinstall to still have this message:

Norton Toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 35.0
Norton Toolbar 2014.7.10.12 (disabled)

I tried this search 1/21/2015 2:50pm and there does not appear to be a solution.
https://community.norton.com/search/site/Norton%20Toolbar%20is%20incompatible%20with%20Firefox%2035.0

TIA for any help.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar is incompatible with Firefox 35.0

Please see Firefox 35 Support for Norton Toolbar Announcement here Permalink
Yes, the Toolbar and ID Safe are compatible with FF35 and it's children eg: FF35.x.x
Recommended protocol is to have Norton compatibility patch installed and settled in before manually updating Firefox. 
Toolbar version number as posted to the Announcement indicates patch is installed and settled.
Recommended setting for Firefox updates is "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to install them"
Menu Bar > Tools > Options > Advanced > Check for updates
You may subscribe to Product Update Announcements here to be notified of product updates.   Click Options > Subscribe

Some sort with run Norton LU till no more updates restart as required.  Then repeat. Then cold boot.
Some sort bringing Toolbar up to date by running the NRnR Tool Read > Before you begin.
Some sort with over-install of Firefox
Some have to uninstall Norton and Firefox.  Then Install and fully update / patch Norton then Install Firefox.

Kudos0

Hello

Try enabling toolbar after updating it.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.18.0.213 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

HI, Norton multiple log-in option for a any site has never worked in Firefox (FF) for me. It works fine in IE (Internet Explorer). Lately, it has started to freeze FF and makes the browser very slow and unresponsive. Switching from one tab to another can take anywhere up to 3-5 seconds. Selecting links, text or downloading small files can take ages as FF just responds to commands very slowly. I got fed up of this and tried FF in "safe mode" and in the end disabled the Norton extension/add-on, and FF has been running brilliantly ever since. Then I came across the following thread: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/firefox-35-support-norton-toolbar-0

Sorry to say, but it's the same and nothing works. It works at initial start up, but then starts to freeze FF again, and multiple sign-on tab/option still doesn't work with the update. It also freezes my windows folders for simple copy and paste from the browser. FF and Windows 7 is up-to-date, the problem from what I can see is Norton, as disabling the extension and restarting FF gets rid of the problem.

Norton extension has always had a problem with FF, but enough is enough now. Can anyone fix this problem, please? PC has been restarted/booted many times. The only thing that solves it is disabling the add-on/extension. I need both to work, as I like to work fast, but hate using IE, as it doesn't have the functions same as FF that I require. The only other extensions I have are, "keyword search" and "add block plus". Norton LU and add-on update on FF has been ran and all is up-to-date. 

Kudos0

Since the patch didn't show through, enable is not a given option.

Kudos0

Some sort with run Norton LU till no more updates restart as required.  Then repeat. Then cold boot.
Some sort bringing Toolbar up to date by running the NRnR Tool Read > Before you begin.
Some sort with over-install of Firefox
Some have to uninstall Norton and Firefox.  Then Install and fully update / patch Norton then Install Firefox.

Kudos0

@ BeachApe: Patch will only work (or download) when you use the Norton removal tool and reinstall Norton. Link can be found in bjm's post. That's how the patch worked for me, at least.

@ bjm: I've done all that you advised to do in your post, but FF still freezes or runs/responds slowly. The extension update is: 2014.7.10.16 and is fully updated. I've ran Norton removal tool and uninstalled Norton, uninstalled FF, and reinstalled everything with a cold boot. It still becomes slow to respond to my commands. The only thing that fixes the issue at the moment is turning the extension off, but that's not a real fix as I need it to auto fill most of my passwords/data. Any other advice? Thanks.

Kudos0

Yeah, FF "not responding" is known and reported by those that post to the Community. 

Disable FF Hardware acceleration has been suggested.   Others are convinced Toolbar is causal.

Kudos0

Okay, so it's been reported already? "Hardware acceleration" and other "safe mode" options have been tested, according to FF forums, I've narrowed it down to the toolbar. If that is off, all runs smoothly. I couldn't find any other mention of it anywhere. After the update thread that you gave the link for in your initial post, I thought all would be okay and reactivated the toolbar. More waiting, I guess. Thanks for your prompt responses.

Kudos0

FWIW ~ On my Vista box.  Firefox crashes and freezes are known.  On my W8 box Firefox behaves.  Some suggest creating a new Firefox profile helps. 

Kudos0

I've already created a new profile twice. Uninstalled FF and deleted back up files from %appdata% roaming folder. That didn't work. I'm at a loss. I understand where you're coming, as FF has had those problems in the past. At the moment, I'm convinced it's the toolbars compatibility, as when it's disabled, FF runs without a problem. If an update or fix is created, please do keep us posted here. Thanks.
Kudos0

Yeah, you've done all you can do....Firefox and Chrome users seem to have Toolbar problems.  IE users seem to be immune. 

Kudos1 Stats

Curious which OS y'all are running - if less than Win 8 the following (as crazy as you may thingk it is) may work and be worth a try.

Please open Run by pressing windows key + R -> devmgmt.msc -> View Show

Hidden devices -> open Non-Plug and Play Drivers-> Maximize the Screen

If you have Identity Safe data Export it ->

Go to Control panel uninstall NIS ->select the second option to

completely uninstall ->restart -> Run Norton Removal Tool -> Restart ->

Go to the maximized page -> if you find   NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus settings manager, starting from Symantec

Data Store to SymEvent (entries starting with Sym)  ->right click on them

click uninstall -> For the Restart prompts select no -> Goto Program files

if you find Norton Folder delete it -> Go to Run ->type temp ->Delete all

the files in there -> Run -> %temp% ->delete all ->Now Restart the PC -

>Install whichever Norton Product  you are running (since no one said what they were running) ->Run Live Update until you get no updates found

message ->restart PC

Let us know how it went for you.

Kudos0

After trying the Removal Tool, and after deleting FF then reinstalling everything, I still wasn't getting the patch through. Finally I tried Live Chat. 1 hour later and also having to go to a level 2 technician, they solved my problem. There was simply too much to follow to say what exactly was the problem was, having also involved an interruption to get updates from the symantic servers.

In the end, I was very glad for the steady work they did and they fixed the patch. I also have none of the slow down experiences that are also being spoke about in this thread. Again, to say what that could be I could not tell since they were all over my system files as well having to use the dos window.

My FF is back to normal and is quick. Much appreciation to the Live Chat folks.

Kudos0

Glad to gear you finally go it sorted.

Kudos0

@ yank: Your post was similar to bjm's, slightly different, but I tried it anyway. Just finished it. And it does seem to be working okay, for now. I did say previously that it always works okay initially, then slows down again. So I will keep you guys posted if anything happens again, or might go to live chat (as suggested by beachape) as a final solution. Thanks for all the responses. Much obliged.

Kudos0

Just updated to FF 35.0.1

NSBU installed

toolbar alive, well and functioning as expected

Dick

Dick Win 10x64 current current NSBU
Kudos0

yes scooby007, my post was similar but f=did go the extra distance to remove files, settings, folders, etc prior to reinstalling Norton product.  To be perfectly honest, although it is a long drawn out procedure it has been working with similar situations since some where around FF 5 (when nothing else would work)!

Please do keep us informed if it returns.

Kudos0

scooby007:

@ yank: Your post was similar to bjm's,

Updated my notes to include reference to yank's detailed thorough clean install

Kudos0

bjm_ please do not start using the in-depth cleanup and reinstall as a normal fix - there are other much easier fixes that may work - this particular fix is pretty much a last resort!  It is too much work with chance of too many errors to be suggested early in troubleshooting.

Kudos0

I said I added your info to my notes.  As an acknowledgement of your expertise.  I leave the geeky stuff to you. 

Kudos0

Update, as promised:

Hello again, guys. Okay, none of the above worked for me, unfortunately. So I also contacted Norton online chat help. They connected remotely and fixed the problem. The guy named Ramiz was just too fast (as mentioned by BeachApe). But he did change the name of some system files in some program/sub-folders. A job well done. I'd been suffering for so long, didn't know browsing with FF could be as fast as this. Lol... Hope the fix sticks. Thanks for the help, gents! Good day!

Kudos0

scooby007:

Hope the fix sticks. Thanks for the help, gents! Good day!

Good info....Support is in the know.... Thanks for update. 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.