• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

As suggested I update Norton Internet Security to v 21.1.0.18.  I ran live update, installed the patch.  But Norton tool bar is still not present in Google Chrome. The extension for Norton Identity Protection is 2014.6.2.3.  I understand that is not the version the patch is made for. However that is the ext which appears after a reinstall of Google Chrome.  Is there a way to update this ext.

 

In fact the identity safe will function in Chrome if I log on identity safe in I.E. first but the toolbar will not appear.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


chrisf424 wrote:

As suggested I update Norton Internet Security to v 21.1.0.18.  I ran live update, installed the patch.  But Norton tool bar is still not present in Google Chrome. The extension for Norton Identity Protection is 2014.6.2.3.  I understand that is not the version the patch is made for. However that is the ext which appears after a reinstall of Google Chrome.  Is there a way to update this ext.

 

In fact the identity safe will function in Chrome if I log on identity safe in I.E. first but the toolbar will not appear.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Similar outcome with Norton 360's Identity Safe.  Did LiveUpdate several times, even run NRnR.exe several times and Chrome is still reporting Norton Identity Protection as version 2014.6.0.27...

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


chrisf424 wrote:

As suggested I update Norton Internet Security to v 21.1.0.18.  I ran live update, installed the patch.  But Norton tool bar is still not present in Google Chrome. The extension for Norton Identity Protection is 2014.6.2.3.  I understand that is not the version the patch is made for. However that is the ext which appears after a reinstall of Google Chrome.  Is there a way to update this ext.

 

In fact the identity safe will function in Chrome if I log on identity safe in I.E. first but the toolbar will not appear.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Hi chrisf424 and welcome!

 

Please see here what @Edjr60 had to do to bring the toolbar back.

I had to do the same, but in my case the issue isn't fully fixed yet. Sometimes  the toolbar appears while the website page is loading and disappears as soon as the page is fully loaded!  So far I’ve seen this happening only with the Norton forum pages - not always, just occasionally - but since I uninstalled and reinstalled only earlier today, I’ll see how it works visiting more websites in the next days.

On the other hand the path which was released was for solving some of the problems, not all of them, therefore a new one will have to follow when ready and hopefully will fix the above.

Therefore, I’d suggest that you do the same – follow the steps mentioned in Edjr60’s post and hopefully you also will get the toolbar back.

Here is the link for the  Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool

http://www.norton.com/nrnr 

       

Good luck and please let us know how it went.

 

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

Followed your instructions. Use the Norton uninstall/reinstall utility ran through the multiple live updates until complete.  Norton identity protection tool bar still did not reappear and extension remains 2014.6.2.3.  Any other suggestions?

 

 

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

Didn't do anything special and Chrome is now reporting my NIP as 2014.6.2.3...???

Accepted Solution
Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


chrisf424 wrote:

Followed your instructions. Use the Norton uninstall/reinstall utility ran through the multiple live updates until complete.  Norton identity protection tool bar still did not reappear and extension remains 2014.6.2.3.  Any other suggestions?

 


Hi chrisf424,

 

I'm sorry it didn't fix the issue.

No, right now I don't have other suggestions  BUT I've a question:

Did you first uninstall and reinstall Chrome? I’m asking because you say “Norton identity protection tool bar still did not reappear and extension remains 2014.6.2.3.”

 

When I - first step - reinstalled Chrome, it was even worse than before because afer reinstalling, not only the toolbar was still missing, but also  NIP wasn’t in “Extensions” anymore, and even the safe site icons which I had been seeing previously all the same, next to the results in the Google search results pages, didn’t appear anymore. And this had been noticed by Edjr60 as well – see the first part of his post I gave you the link to in my previous reply .

So, since you still have NIP listed in your extensions (by the way I also had v 2014.6.2.3, like you) I wonder whether you started by uninstallin/reinstalling Chrome?

If you didn’t, you should try it now – Open Chrome >, scroll down to Help (since my OS is not in English, I guess this is the word you'll see?)  >Troubleshoot and resolve common issues >Uninstall Google Chrome, follow the instructions.

To reinstall Chrome: again Help >New to Google Chrome? Learn the basics > Install Chrome, follow the instructions.

I’m not giving you both links because I’m not sure if you would be redirect to website pages in your language or you would instead get to pages in my OS language (Italian).

Before starting, you might want to take note of the link to “Install Chrome”, so that you have it handy after uninstalling it?

Hopefully, since you already ran NRnR, now just reinstalling Chrome could bring back the toolbar, otherwise I’m afraid you should run it again, and if so please follow the steps mentioned in Edjr60’s carefully.

I’ll just add that when running LiveUpdates after reinstalling NIS, you could try rebooting even if you are not prompted to (because not requested with your OS), particularly when LiveUpdate sessions include NIS Product Updates and Norton Browser Toolbar Add Ons.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

 

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


jhren wrote:

Didn't do anything special and Chrome is now reporting my NIP as 2014.6.2.3...???


Hi jhren and welcome!

 

Please see if my reply to chrisf424 can be of any help?

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


Rainbow_2 wrote:

jhren wrote:

Didn't do anything special and Chrome is now reporting my NIP as 2014.6.2.3...???


Hi jhren and welcome!

 

Please see if my reply to chrisf424 can be of any help?


Thank you for the welcoming, Rainbow!

Appreciate your advice, but I went a different route... and it worked...!!!

I have a different computer with successful update.  Simply replaced  extension folder (2014.6.2.3_0 with 2014.6.4.11_1) .

Location: C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk\

Kudos1 Stats

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


chrisf424 wrote:

Followed your instructions. Use the Norton uninstall/reinstall utility ran through the multiple live updates until complete.  Norton identity protection tool bar still did not reappear and extension remains 2014.6.2.3.  Any other suggestions?

 

 


Hi Chrisf424,

 

If still no toolbar, please visit this new thread from Tony ....

 

NEW - Google Chrome 32 Compatibility issues with Norton Toolbar

 

 

Ed

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


jhren wrote:

Rainbow_2 wrote:

jhren wrote:

Thank you for the welcoming, Rainbow!

Appreciate your advice, but I went a different route... and it worked...!!!

I have a different computer with successful update.  Simply replaced  extension folder (2014.6.2.3_0 with 2014.6.4.11_1) .

Location: C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk\



Hi  jhren,

 

Glad you were able to solve it in such a quicker way, and thanks for letting us know - it may be helpful for other users!

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

That was it.  Repeated your process starting with uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, followed by Norton uninstall reinstall.  Tool bar is back and functioning. Thank you for your time and effort.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

Fwiw, I just reinstalled Chrome, and the toolbar and Norton Intrusion Protection extension is working, so I suggest anyone having a problem, try that before you reinstall Norton.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


chrisf424 wrote:

That was it.  Repeated your process starting with uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, followed by Norton uninstall reinstall.  Tool bar is back and functioning. Thank you for your time and effort.


I'm so glad you got things sorted out, and thanks for letting us know!

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility

Its a known problem that Norton are working on and as yet have not got a solution. I had a tech guy from Norton who said they thought there was a security issue and I should go back to Chrome 31. But if you dont stop it automatically upgrading itself then you get Chrome32 back within 48 hours!!

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar update for Google Chrome 32 compatibility


prsdow wrote:

Its a known problem that Norton are working on and as yet have not got a solution. I had a tech guy from Norton who said they thought there was a security issue and I should go back to Chrome 31. But if you dont stop it automatically upgrading itself then you get Chrome32 back within 48 hours!!


Did you see this message by Tony_Weiss?

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.