• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Norton won't start then "autofix" gives error 8504,104

I have followed directions to remove and re-install the product the several times it has happened, but still happens over again a month or two in between. This is costing me too much time with the remove and reinstall procedure. I have used Norton security for many years and never experienced trouble like this. My connection isn't the fastest, so I have to stop everything and try to get the anti-virus working again. This shouldn't be happening. Please fix this bug.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton won't start then "autofix" gives error 8504,104

Why does the error want you to Update the Video graphics driver? What does that have to do with my anti-virus program not starting? (I couldn't find a way to edit my first post.....

Kudos0

Edit time is 60 minutes and Edit is above message for opening post.  e.g.,

Kudos0

Did you try updating your graphics driver as recommended?

You asked why this would be necessary? Software needs to access the graphics card on a system to display items. The GUI and icons. 

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Yes I did and the result was that I had the most up to date driver already. Thanks.

Kudos0

Sometimes the latest and greatest driver is not always the best, and can cause issues. To test this, see if you can roll back the driver in Windows Device Manager. Then see if you are still seeing the same issue.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Also windows 10 will install whatever drivers microsoft (not your computer maker) thinks are best. If you manufacturer made a custom video driver (with custom features specific to your laptop) which hasn't been updated in a while microsoft (at their discursion) will install whatever (generic?) driver they want which may disable custom features, make your display stop working, or cause other oddities. If you remove the driver to correct these problems microsoft will reinstall it.

This is all automatic and mandatory (there is a hint that you might be allowed to choose in a future version -- who knows you may need to pay extra for it).

In Windows 7/8.x you have a choice (turn it off!):
https://i2.wp.com/www.itechtics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Device-installation-settings-for-disabling-driver-updates-from-Windows-Update.jpg

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.