• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

NS 2015 and explorer.exe hang

Have experienced random file explorer hangs/errors, can't use right mouse functions (W10-Pro 64b) in folders, files are OK, and desktop. Other symptoms WU gets into loop doesn't finish, taskbar search function is disabled. All this is fixed if device is rebooted. Tried many things and tested one by one to find out what causes it. One would think it's a Windows problem, but it seems that somehow it's connected to running Norton Security. I have a laptop and desktop with the same behavior and quite same program configuration, same W10 version, clean installation done on both devices. The desktop is running without NS 2015 and no explorer.exe hangs yet (removed it 4 days ago for testing purposes), 4th day and maybe 45 boots.

The laptop with NS installed have random hangs, last yesterday. Event log does only give explorer.exe application hang, nothing else. If the desktop PC runs OK after one week and laptop with NS2015 installed have explorer hangs, NS2015 have to have some effect on this behavior.

SFC SCANNOW performed and returns nothing out of ordinary, the same with DISM restorehealth.I point out that the desktop also used to have random explorer.exe crashes before NS 2015 removal. Before that had troubleshooted many things (HW wise) and disabled context menu items with shellview, but did no good. 

Hope to get some insights on this, what can cause this behavior if NOT NS 2015, two different configuration, gaming desktop PC and laptop have the same issues when NS2015 installed. The removal of Norton was the first thing that had some effect on the crashing behavior. And what can be done if this is caused by Norton? Removing with NRT and reinstalling has no effect on the crash/hang. Thanks!    

Labels: Windows 10

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NS 2015 and explorer.exe hang

Can you try uninstalling NS from he laptop, as you have from the desktop to see if you get the same results?

It is still possible that there is some other driver or program on both your systems that could be causing this. It could be something on your systems that conflicts with Norton. It is a long and tedious process to try to fully identify conflicts between all the processes running on a Windows computer.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Thanks for prompt reply. I'll uninstall NS also from the laptop. It's a long process to follow through, troubleshooting- But well see. I'll report back.

Kudos0

Addition. Did not experience the above mentioned issue with W8.1 or with upgraded version of Windows 10 Pro, only after clean install.

Kudos0

Disabled fast boot, seem good so far with NS installed.

Kudos0

If you can keep an eye on things for a while to see if things keep running well.

I see you found the Fast Startup feature could be causing the problem. Sometimes a 'great feature' can come with a price.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Yep, will do! I don't see any difference with fastboot disabled or enabled in boot speed. Fast enough with SSD.

Kudos0

It seems like fast startup was the reason for explorer.exe hangs, still follow up.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.