• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos2 Stats

NSBU 22.6.0.142 - APPCRASH - SYMHTML.DLL

Attempting to open the "Usage" Performance Graph crashes NSBU.

To reproduce:

1. Open NSBU > Performance > Graphs
  2. Click Usage. NSBU will crash.

I can reproduce this issue on two 22.6.0.142 machines. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

Norton Security with Backup
Windows 7 Home Premium
7601.19135.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.160121-1718

Source
Norton Security with Backup

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎04/‎03/‎2016 3:18 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security with Backup\Engine\22.6.0.142\nsbu.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: NSBU.exe
Application Version: 13.1.0.74
Application Timestamp: 56ba9bae
Fault Module Name: SYMHTML.DLL
Fault Module Version: 10.1.0.91
Fault Module Timestamp: 56ce7f77
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001a5ff3
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 621604509

Replies

Kudos1 Stats

Re: NSBU 22.6.0.142 - APPCRASH - SYMHTML.DLL

Hi elsewhere,

Yes I have had the same thing and it has been brought up with Symantec already.

Cheers!

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

Thanks Krusty13

Was a forum thread created for this issue or was Symantec advised through other means? I was going to write up an interface issue affecting Standard Users, however, if Symantec have already been notified/made aware of issues privately, then I won't bother.

Kudos0

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this to our notice. I'll look into this issue. Could you please send me the logs? I have sent you a PM with the instructions. Thanks, again.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos2 Stats

I and another Guru have mentioned it elsewhere, no pun intended. 

Kudos0

Gayathri_R:

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this to our notice. I'll look into this issue. Could you please send me the logs? I have sent you a PM with the instructions. Thanks, again.

Gayathri Rajendiran
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation

Hi Gayathri,

I'll get the logs to you shortly.

Edit: @Gayathri_R, logs uploaded and PM replied to

Thanks,
Dave

Kudos0

Krusty13:

I and another Guru have mentioned it elsewhere, no pun intended. 

Yeah, yeah!

Are you Gurus tracking any Standard User NSBU interface issues? I don't want to waste my time writing the issue up if Symantec are already aware of the issue.

Please advise.

Thanks

Kudos0

The Standard User NSBU interface issue has been mentioned but you creating a specific thread about it might give the issue more exposure.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Krusty13:

The Standard User NSBU interface issue has been mentioned but you creating a specific thread about it might give the issue more exposure.

Thanks.

Aw c'mon Krusty13.

That's a deflection technique highlighting the fact that neither Symantec nor any of the Norton Gurus have identified the Standard User NSBU interface issue that I could potentially raise.

Do you agree or disagree?

Kudos0

Well, actually I can only guess at what the issue you refer to is.

If you have something to post about, post about it.  I'm not here to act as mediator between members, Gurus and or Symantec.

All the best.

Kudos0

FWIW, "Usage" Performance Graph working correctly here:

Windows 7 HP SP1 32-bit | Chrome 65.0.3325.146 | NS 22.12.1.15
Kudos0

1. Open NSBU > Performance > Graphs
  2. wait a few seconds

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    NSBU.exe
  Application Version:    13.1.0.74
  Application Timestamp:    56ba9bae
  Fault Module Name:    SYMHTML.DLL
  Fault Module Version:    10.1.0.91
  Fault Module Timestamp:    56ce7f77
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000ba404
  OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    5861
  Additional Information 2:    5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3:    1318
  Additional Information 4:    13181ae637ac2592fac0ca2dd662cdcc

Kudos0

FWIW - I get the same thing when using a Standard User, however using an Admin privileged user it dos not "crash".

I am curious if this is caused by the removal of "non-admin users permission to change settings" as reported by peterweb (I believe) previously?

There were threads that mentioned having to use an admin account to change settings - that the standard user's account could not change, but I believe this is the first time I have seen this specific reference.

Kudos0

I do not see this issue with the graphs with NSBU 22.6.0.142 on Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I am using a standard Windows account.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hello

It's happened to me also using Win 7 Pro IE 11. It is an intermittent issue. It doesn't always happen, so users who say it hasn't happened to them, may just not had it at that time. Btw, I use an Administrator account, so it's not restricted to a general user account. I did report this to Symantec earlier this week. Since Monday night, it's happened one time- 2 times in a row. One time the antivirus scan hadn't even started yet. Another time, it happened just once during that antivirus definition. I don't always check the graph either when there is an update as well, I'm not always at my computer when it gets a definition update.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

peterweb:

I do not see this issue with the graphs with NSBU 22.6.0.142 on Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I am using a standard Windows account.

Neither did I until I reread the OP and saw the go to USAGE! 

Kudos0

I tried both tabs with no problem.

Kudos0

It is 100% reproducible on one of my machines and I'm not even going to try on the other.

Kudos0

Hello Peter

When it happens, it's after a antivirus definition has been downloaded and you go to the graph when the quick antivirus scan is about to start or has started. I don't know if it happens during full system scans, since those happen at night while I'm asleep.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.2.47 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Thanks for the added info flo.

So now I did see the issue. I started a quick scan, and then tried to open the graph. Did not even get to click on the Usage tab. It stopped right away.

Kudos0

Well, I don't have to start a scan or download any updates, just click Usage and CRASH!

Kudos0

peterweb:

So now I did see the issue. I started a quick scan, and then tried to open the graph. Did not even get to click on the Usage tab. It stopped right away.

Nearly the same here, but it crashed after I clicked on Usage.  "Norton Security with Backup has stopped working" appeared as in the image in Krusty13's post above, the NSwB icon disappeared from the task bar where it returned after a few seconds. 

EDIT: I can confirm that without running a scan "Usage" Performance Graph works correctly as per my above post

Kudos0

Hi everyone, had my update yesterday to latest version, said to perform a restart, but I clicked later, and did one manually, before this mine crashed also, icon disappeared from taskbar, but it came back when I clicked on shortcut on desktop, I then did a restart and all is well, a restart will cure this I hope for everyone.
Kudos0

Hi everyone, had my update yesterday to latest version, said to perform a restart, but I clicked later, and did one manually, before this mine crashed also, icon disappeared from taskbar, but it came back when I clicked on shortcut on desktop, I then did a restart and all is well, a restart will cure this I hope for everyone.

Kudos0

For me, I don't get a crash. What DOES happen when I click on usage is that the graph goes grey, and says Computer off !

Windows 10 Home X 64 Norton Security Premium Current
Kudos0

Hello

My computer stays on, just NSBU stops responding and closes up. I then click on the desktop icon and it restarts. The icon in systray comes back also. I haven't gone to the graph area without wanting to watch the quick scan, so don't know if it happens without the scan. It does happen while I am waiting for my computer to go into idle state sometimes.

Thanks.

Kudos0

F 4 E:

For me, I don't get a crash. What DOES happen when I click on usage is that the graph goes grey, and says Computer off !

F4E - I have had that happen to me also one time - I can't remember how I got it to do that though.   I figured something I did not give the program time to restart properly??

Kudos0

Hi, yank. Now it's showing part Computer off, and part active graph. No big deal, as I never use the Usage icon anyway.

Green tick is all I need !

Kudos0

Hello

I was just reading this and attempted to reproduce this on my machine and I cannot, everything works correctly and while a scan is running.  One thing I always do and maybe its just me, but every time a Norton update that changes the version is installed on my pc I have a habit of running the Norton Support Auto Fix and every time I do so, it runs a installation repair and it does "repair" something not sure what though.  Just wondering if anyone has done that yet?

Windows 10 Pro v.1703 64-Bit / IE 11 / Firefox 55.0.3 / NSBU 22.10.1.10 / NU 16.0.2.53 / Veritas System Recovery 16 SP2
Kudos0

Ran Auto Fix.  No AppCrash today.

Kudos0

Maybe related to this Sonar update???

I just tested again and no problems this time.

EDIT

Spoke too soon. I was not able to recreate the crash the way I did before. But when I opened the Graphs and clicked on a detection for more info, the app crashed.

Kudos0

I just tried again and as soon as I clicked Usage CRASH!.  Yes I have tried Auto-fix.

Kudos0

Did you get the Sonar update?

Kudos0

peterweb:

Did you get the Sonar update?

• Ran Live Update
  • Received SONAR update
  • Clicked Usage
  • Crash!
Kudos0

Things are getting pretty funky - my system tray Norton Icon is disappearing from time to time, NSBU will not open from time to time - all happens after it closing from clicking on Usage.

I have the SONAR Update and it still crashes.

FWIW - my 22.5.5.15 NSS (Comcast) which also has the SONAR update does not crash???

This is on Win 7

Kudos0

Ooops, must be gremlins. 
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    NSBU.exe
  Application Version:    13.1.0.74
  Application Timestamp:    56ba9bae
  Fault Module Name:    SYMHTML.DLL
  Fault Module Version:    10.1.0.91
  Fault Module Timestamp:    56ce7f77
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000ba404
  OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    bb5e
  Additional Information 2:    bb5e6fa84f11343d43df3f22ad6a4ee0
  Additional Information 3:    ff06
  Additional Information 4:    ff06e7c226d0b63bc4756881587660fd

Kudos0

FWIW - my Online "Vault is Open" changed to System Restart Required (perhaps expected), but just for grins I restarted, and logged into my Local Vault and tired the Graphs > Usage and got the same crash an restart required for the Vault.  Thus it appears Local or Online Vault has not impact - as I would expect it not to.

Kudos0

From the title of this thread, and bjm's posts  -  Fault Module Name:    SYMHTML.DLL

Kudos0

Hello

I don't use the Vaults and I still had the crashes of Norton. yank- your NSS doesn't have the latest 22.6.0.142 version so it wouldn't be having these intermittent crashes...

Thanks.

Kudos0

Hi,

We are looking into this issue. I've sent some of you the steps to collect logs. If I had missed someone, could you please send me a private message? I will reply to it with the instructions. Thank you for notifying us about this.

-Gayathri

Gayathri R | Norton Forums Global Community Administrator | Symantec Corporation
Kudos0

Gayathri - log sent

floplot, even though NSS is still on 22.5.5.15, it still received the SONAR Update that was being discussed.

Kudos0

@Gayathri_R

Logs uploaded and  PM sent.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Thank you for the logs. 

-Gayathri

Kudos0

On my second attempt on clicking usage in the Graph section, NSBU DID state that it had stopped working, so two different results here. I have also sent you logs @Gayathri_R 

Kudos2 Stats

yank:

FWIW - I get the same thing when using a Standard User, however using an Admin privileged user it dos not "crash".

I am curious if this is caused by the removal of "non-admin users permission to change settings" as reported by peterweb (I believe) previously?

There were threads that mentioned having to use an admin account to change settings - that the standard user's account could not change, but I believe this is the first time I have seen this specific reference.

Enabling the "Non-Admins Access to Settings" setting silently created a local security hole on the user's PC. All Standard User accounts on that PC could now disable Norton security features at will, thus compromising the integrity of the PC. This setting actually required a Named User option that specified which Standard User accounts present on the local PC had the Norton "Non-Admins Access to Settings" privilege. Given that Norton products don't support the Named User model, Symantec removed this setting from the Norton security product's interfaces to close this local security hole.

The NSBU v22.6.0.142 update, however, introduced changes to the way the Settings panel behaves when accessed by a Standard User.

In v22.5.5.15, most of the "Detailed Settings" are greyed out for Standard Users, as shown below:

In v22.6.0.142, all of the "Detailed Settings" are now accessible for Standard Users (not greyed out):

This is a welcome change for Standard Users as they can now see how NSBU is configured even though they have no ability to change the Settings (all settings greyed-out):

The problem with this implementation is highlighted in the example screenshot above. The Tabs that allow the user to switch between the settings groups are also all greyed out ie. "Scans and Risks", "Updates". Standard Users should be able to select these additional settings groups by clicking on the group's tab to view the current settings values in that group, similar to the way the "Automatic Protection" settings group is displayed above.

The question now is "Was this Settings visibility change for Standard Users intentional but only partially implemented, or was this change unintentional and is the behaviour shown above actually a defect"?

Actions for Symantec: Please investigate and advise by updating this thread accordingly.

Thanks

Kudos0

Oh no..mine has started crashing when I go into graph, wasn't doing this 2 days ago, I've renewed subscription today and this happened, I've renewed NS with a key from Norton Deluxe, hope that it's not that that's triggered the crash?
Kudos0

Hi Mcrmoz,

From the main page of your NS, select Help and then ABOUT - is the version 22.6.0.142?  If so, that version is causing your crash. I have not seen any reports of renewals causing the crash of the graph.

Kudos0

Hmm..Just updated with today's definitions (12th Mar) and tried Graphs, and its OK, also Usage, no crashes, so hopefully just a glitch for me and everybody else that has had this happen. not had this happen before in 8 years of using Norton

Kudos0

Yes I'm using latest Norton 22.6.0.142, only thing I've seen that has changed in this version is when you click on 30-day report it scrolls up and down faster than it did, any other changes that have been seen anybody?

Kudos0

Mcrmoz:

Yes I'm using latest Norton 22.6.0.142, only thing I've seen that has changed in this version is when you click on 30-day report it scrolls up and down faster than it did, any other changes that have been seen anybody?

Thanks for the feedback re: no crash and also perhaps a read (near the end of the announcement)  may answer what I took the liberty to bold above:

https://community.norton.com/en/blogs/product-update-announcements/norton-226-product-update-available-now

Kudos0

Same problem here on a Windows 10 Pro built 10586.164, 64-bits using Norton Internet Security 22.6.0.142.

NIS crashes when going to the Performance tab into the Graphs. Whenever you hover over some information, NIS crashes and restarts. The error report is:

Faulting application name: NIS.exe, version: 13.1.0.74, time stamp: 0x56ba9bae
Faulting module name: SYMHTML.DLL, version: 10.1.0.91, time stamp: 0x56ce7f77
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000ba323
Faulting process ID: 0x22d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d183c586759813
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\22.6.0.142\NIS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\22.6.0.142\SYMHTML.DLL
Report ID: 79d0ff85-62ae-409f-9caa-27fe0d817687
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.