• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

I've got the latest version of NIS (21.1.1.7) on a Windows 8.1 PC and the prompt to open my Identity Safe vault still appears even though I've unchecked the option in Settings. 

I know this has been discussed at length, but I understood it was to be fixed in this latest release; I even did a clean install.

It's really annoying, and it's still a problem!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying


BajaBoojum wrote:

I've got the latest version of NIS (21.1.1.7) on a Windows 8.1 PC and the prompt to open my Identity Safe vault still appears even though I've unchecked the option in Settings. 

I know this has been discussed at length, but I understood it was to be fixed in this latest release; I even did a clean install.

It's really annoying, and it's still a problem!


If you are talking of the button on the Norton Toolbar to access the Identity Safe vault, that will not disappear, and there is no setting to suggest that.

You can disable the toolbar in your browser, or make the toolbar disappear by using the View options of your browser.

If you are referring to something else, can you post a screenshot?  Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/m-p/254415#U254415

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

It's the prompt that appears just below the Norton Toolbar when the vault is closed.  In Settings you can uncheck this option, but it doesn't always remember the setting.  It almost seems random; I haven't noticed a consistant pattern.

The annoying part is that when it appears and disappears the web page (and therefore all links) jump up and down, making it hard to navigate.

The toggle is under Infobar:

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

FWIW, I don't believe this function has ever worked correctly on any of the v21 (2014) NTBs.  For most users it never prompts regardless of the setting, and the setting will not remain set (if changed) through a windows restart or windows account log-off / log-on cycle.

For others (such as yourself) the setting is also ignored, but in these cases the NTB constantly prompts for you to log into your vault.

I've been aware of the bug since last fall (September, I think), but most users are totally unaware about it (because the function never works correctly to prompt regardless of how it is set - essentially a total disconnect from user definable NTB behavior control).

For me this has been a minor annoyance because it requires me to manually open my vault using the button on the NTB.  Before this version I'd become accustomed to the NTB auto-prompting me whenever I visited a website requiring login credentials if the vault was closed.

For others like yourself it's got to be a much greater nuisance because you're unable to make it "shut up", and not ask, so to speak.

Norton has been aware of this bug for quite some time (as I recall my first posting about it was last October - that thread is here in this forum somewhere, but I've lost track of it now because it's been ignored for so long).

Norton confirmed it as a bug months ago and promised a fix for it; that also was months ago.  They also promised to update the thread I started when that fix finally gets released.

We're all still waiting for the fix (if and when it ever comes)...

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

Sometimes settings do not take the first time you set them up.

Try also disabling the option to Autofill the logins.

If that does not help, try enabling all the options, save. reboot the computer. Then go back and disable everything again and see if that helps.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

I'll try that, Peter, but in my situation it's random.  It'll pop up and annoy me for a day or so, then hide again. 

I think John summed up the issue best; I was hoping by starting a new thread Norton will take it seriously.  If they can't fix it, they should eliminate the prompt entirely.

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

As I remember it, this constant  "Open Vault prompt" was never duplicated by Norton. 

The prompt not staying selected/not appearing was duplicated and hopefully the fix will be incorporated in the next major update. 

FWIW, here are the two threads that concerned the Prompt not stay enabled and the Propt appearing all the time:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/NIS-v21-NTB-fails-to-prompt-for-vault-PW/m-p/1043613/highlight/true#M15020

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/how-to-stop-norton-ldentity-safe-sign-up-pop-up-screen/m-p/1050391/highlight/true#M15402

Kudos1 Stats

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

When my Identity Safe vault is closed the latest version that came with NIS 21.2.0.38 is now prompting me to open the vault all the time, instead of randomly as before.  It's still annoying!

Also, since the new version came out my Bing homepage setting keeps defaulting back to the photos instead of the plain gray background.  In the past turning off tracking cookie removal during scans kept my setting intact.  I'm not 100% sure it's NIS's fault, but it doesn't seem to be a coincidence.

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying


BajaBoojum wrote:

When my Identity Safe vault is closed the latest version that came with NIS 21.2.0.38 is now prompting me to open the vault all the time, instead of randomly as before.  It's still annoying!

Also, since the new version came out my Bing homepage setting keeps defaulting back to the photos instead of the plain gray background.  In the past turning off tracking cookie removal during scans kept my setting intact.  I'm not 100% sure it's NIS's fault, but it doesn't seem to be a coincidence.


If you are trying to stop the prompt for every web site, click on the 3 dots on the toolbar and then on Open Identity Safe Settings near the bottom. Then uncheck the setting under the Browsing tab for Prompt me to open my vault. Then you should not be asked again, so you will have to remember yourself to open the vault.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos1 Stats

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

Peter;

Thanks, but as I said when I started this post that option has always been unchecked.  Before this latest update it would prompt me on and off randomly; now it's all the time.

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying


BajaBoojum wrote:

Peter;

Thanks, but as I said when I started this post that option has always been unchecked.  Before this latest update it would prompt me on and off randomly; now it's all the time.


Hi BajaBoojum,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions that this bug continues to also affect those users facing the "constant prompting" variant of it...  Fortunately for those of us with the never (or rarely) prompting variant, the bug is not nearly as obtrusive.

FWIW, here's my recent postings about it ...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/NIS-v21-NTB-fails-to-prompt-for-vault-PW/m-p/1112002#M18796

Kind regards,

John

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying


BajaBoojum wrote:

Peter;

Thanks, but as I said when I started this post that option has always been unchecked.  Before this latest update it would prompt me on and off randomly; now it's all the time.


One thing that has helped in the past is to recheck the option, restart your browser. Then uncheck it and restart the browser again. Then test.

Sometimes the setting seems to get corrupted.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying

Peter:

I tried that and so far, so good.  It's only been a short time since I reset everything, but the Bing setting also seems to hold.  To be honest I'm not optimistic for the long term, but we'll see.

On a more positive note I like a couple of changes in the new version.  I like the vault window closing by itself after login, and I like the one-click dropdown toolbar menu.

Thanks.

Kudos0

Re: 'Open Vault' Prompt Still Annoying


BajaBoojum wrote:

Peter:

I tried that and so far, so good.  It's only been a short time since I reset everything, but the Bing setting also seems to hold.  To be honest I'm not optimistic for the long term, but we'll see.

On a more positive note I like a couple of changes in the new version.  I like the vault window closing by itself after login, and I like the one-click dropdown toolbar menu.

 

Thanks.


Another plus is that you can access the ID Safe settings without opening the vault. Click on the 3 dots button.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.