• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Patch for firefox 14.0.1 and Norton Tool Bar

Norton board says it has the Norton Toolbar patch 2012.7.4.1. Firefox Brower say the tool bar is 2012.7.3.1. I've updated Norton until it says not required and rebooted many times. But the toolBar still says 2012.7.3.1. To correct this problem before I was instructed to

Please do the following in the exact order I list.

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 13.0.1 from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2012 from here: www.norton.com/nis12

If you use Identity Safe, backup your Identity Safe data. Due to the critical nature of the information contained in ID safe we would recommend backing that up manually first just as a precaution even though you will choose to retain all settings when removing NIS.

Remove NIS using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of NIS.. Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond that there are "no updates found" (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate).

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox and verify 13.0.1 is the version number  and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2012.7.3.1 and Norton Vulernability Protection 11.0.0.243-1 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 13.0.1.

This worked but I don't see the point in having to do this again for 14.0.1. How do you get the tool bar to update without uninstalling everything each time. I have already updated Norton then install Firefox 14.0.1. But the tool bar stays at 2012.7.3.1. What's up wityh this?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Patch for firefox 14.0.1 and Norton Tool Bar

Norton board says it has the Norton Toolbar patch 2012.7.4.1. Firefox Brower say the tool bar is 2012.7.3.1. I've updated Norton until it says not required and rebooted many times. But the toolBar still says 2012.7.3.1. To correct this problem before I was instructed to

Please do the following in the exact order I list.

Totally uninstall Firefox

Download a fresh copy of Firefox 13.0.1 from here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Install the fresh copy of firefox.

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2012 from here: www.norton.com/nis12

If you use Identity Safe, backup your Identity Safe data. Due to the critical nature of the information contained in ID safe we would recommend backing that up manually first just as a precaution even though you will choose to retain all settings when removing NIS.

Remove NIS using Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs if you are using XP) - do not run the NRT as you'll want to keep your Identitiy Safe and other settings.

Install the fresh copy of NIS.. Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond that there are "no updates found" (rebooting as requested by LiveUpdate).

Once all that is done in the order I am asking for you to do it, please check Firefox and verify 13.0.1 is the version number  and also look at "Add-on's" and see if Norton Toolbar 2012.7.3.1 and Norton Vulernability Protection 11.0.0.243-1 are listed and shown as enabled.

Do you now have the Norton Toolbar in FF 13.0.1.

This worked but I don't see the point in having to do this again for 14.0.1. How do you get the tool bar to update without uninstalling everything each time. I have already updated Norton then install Firefox 14.0.1. But the tool bar stays at 2012.7.3.1. What's up wityh this?

Kudos0

Hi,

We recommend updating you Norton product before installing the latest version of Firefox.  You will not have this problem if you do this.

Dave.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

I've already done this. And the toolbar add on stays at 2012.7.3.1. Good thing for Norton Ghost to bring it back to a good state. How do we get the Toll Bar to change to 2012.7.4.1?

Kudos0

The only way to get the latest toolbar is by running Live Update,  rebooting where required,  until no more updates are available.

Here's a free tip: - Every six weeks Mozilla plan to release a new major version change that will require and update from Symantec to your Norton Product to continue to use the Norton Toolbar.  This page shows when Firefox 15 will be released.  When that date arrives check here for an announcement regarding compatibility first.  Then,  run Live update until you receive an update that requires a restart.  Now you can install the latest Firefox.

I hope this helps.

Dave.

A little bit of knowledge is... well a little bit of knowledge.
Kudos0

WHOA! I went thru that senario back around FF9 or 10. U mean nobody has got this sequence of events down any better than it was a year ago. That is just sad & itsa big pain in da XXXX to uninstall-reinstall-install-uninstall-reinstall and then hope it all works and your computer doesn't turn into a slug and your late for a date. C'mon Man!

And...this is the first time I have heard the instructions to wait for the toolbar before you update firefox and like a good user Idid run LiveUpdate before I updated FF because I did go thru this before but I failed to check the forum, I Bad User, Sorry :(

I would have given you $10 for your free tip two days ago...well maybeee OK NO+++I have been trying for 2 days to update my FF 13.0.1 to 7.4.1 is there a time limit on this?

Kudos0

I won't use this correction again. If we can't get the ToolBar without uninstalling everything then I will run without it. I have 5 Machines and I won't do them all again. I installed FF completely and made sure all the Norton updates were done and installed FF and the tool bar stayed as it was it never change to the new version.

Kudos0

Me too Harley55, I have 5 PC's as well and the strangest thing is the very first one i updated went perfect!  As of right now (3 days later) i have yet to get any of the other 4 updated with the new 7.4.1. I guess I can stay with FF13 for a while longer.

Anyway good luck to ya

Kudos0

Was the one machine that worked loaded with XP. No windows 7 worked only XP.

Kudos0

Harley55 wrote:

I won't use this correction again. If we can't get the ToolBar without uninstalling everything then I will run without it. I have 5 Machines and I won't do them all again. I installed FF completely and made sure all the Norton updates were done and installed FF and the tool bar stayed as it was it never change to the new version.

Hi again Harley55,

I hope that is a is typo and you realy did not install FF  completely, made sure all the Norton updates were done and installed FF.

I am curious if you in fact uninstalled FF, ran Norton LU and then installed FF.  There really isn't any reason to uninstall FF during a "normal" FF version upgrade - I am of the opinion that FF overinstalls.  I am aso curious if you have the automatic update feature of FF enabled?  I am thinkikng perhaps you are auto installing the latest version of FF and it is installing without your knowing it as soon as it is available and prior to Norton Toolbar update being installed.

In regards to running LiveUpdate and ensuring all the updates are done, I'd like for you to look at the following screenshots and see the diffeence between them.  One states  LiveUpdate finished.  This means that the LiveUpdate that was just run has successfully completed.  I will admit that the "Your Norton product now has the latest protection updates" is a bit misleading.  Actually, your protection updates are current up to the latest updates that this run of LiveUpdate downloaded.

Now in the second screen shot it states: LiveUpdate finsihed - No updates found  This statement means that LiveUpdate searched and could not find anymore updates to download/install.   Norton uses the same "Your Norton product now has the latest protection updates" because there were no more updates found.

The whole point I am trying to make is that you must run LiveUpdate (restarting each time requested) until you see the No updates found.  If you quit running LU prior to seeing that screen - you willnot have all the updates and it is very possible you will not have the correct add-ons in FF.

BTW, I have discussed the possible confusion caused by the two screenshots wording above with Norton.

I certainly hope this helps someone.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.