• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Patch released 11/3/2015

Ok now you are getting like Lenard on the Big Bang Theory - You managed to screw up the screw up. I was running Firefox 40.0.3 so that the Norton Toolbar could be used and today 11/3/2015 a patch was released where the 1st screw up was that it indicated it could not be applied until Internet Explorer was closed but it was not open. I even opened it and closed it and still no change. I selected the cancel option and rebooted so the patch could install. Next screw up it indicated Norton Identity was not configured on Firefox and after doing the configuration Firefox indicated that Norton Identity safe could not be verified for operation with Firefox. Now I have the older version of Firefox (40..0.3) that worked with Norton and after the patch Identity Safe no longer works but the Norton safe search does still work. Firefox is now up to version 42 and originally Norton was going to fix just part of the problem by the end of October so if I update Firefox based on past information I will still have a problem. So what now? The older Firefox now no longer works with Identity Safe only Safe search.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Patch released 11/3/2015

Please review >  Firefox 41 and 42 Support for Norton Toolbar

Norton Identity safe could not be verified for operation with Firefox.

Proceed with caution: indicates new version 2015.5.6.76 signature needs to be verified by Mozilla. 
Norton is working with Firefox to get the Toolbar verified soon and a separate patch will be released to address this.

Kudos1 Stats

I just updated Firefox from 40.0.3 to 42 and still the Identity safe is not working only the Safe search. So now I am screwed by Norton with the latest patch on 11/3/2015 that caused the Identity safe to no longer work with the Firefox 40.0.3 version that was the last version that both safe search and Identity safe worked with. I would restore back to before the patch but Norton would only install it again. Good job Symantec screwing up the screw up and now we are all screwed since even going back to an older working version of Firefox that did work now no longer works. How about Symantec backing out the last patch and hold your update until both problems are fixed.

Kudos0

Did LiveUpdate to get this new Norton Toolbar Patch. 

Where is the Norton Toolbar?  Firefox version 40 does not show the toolbar.  Clicking to check Add-ons shows NO Norton Toolbar listed either in plugins nor in extensions.  No toolbar in the toolbar part of the browser window.    Bad!  Very BAD.  Also no identity-safe fill in anything.

---

Windows 7, Norton 360 v22.5& fully updated, Firefox v. 40.0.3

---

Kudos1 Stats

This issue has been going on way too long, and should be embarrassing to Norton.

Kudos0

Hello

Please read this KB and follow what it says.. Please also read the Announcement about the Toolbar on the top of this part of the Forum to see what does work.

Please see this KB article

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115161915_EndUserProfile_en_us

Thanks

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Nice to see I am not the only one scratching my head over Norton's work on this problem.  Not like Mozilla's first ever update for Firefox.  I am in the column where Norton provides periodic messages to users on progress but does not issue the update until it is fully functional.  My big use is the Identity Safe.  Getting the toolbar working is not worth my time to install and activate. 

Kudos0

floplot instructed to:

Please see this KB article

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v115161915_EndUserProfile_en_us

The article is useless.  I did all that.  What it should say is that the Norton Tool Bar now will not appear in Firefox version 40.0.3 and installing the new tool bar will have no evidence of being shown as installed. 

(Again, that was for a machine on Windows Vista, Firefox v 40.0.3, Norton 360 v. 22.5.4)

Kudos0

Ran LiveUpdate for the new norton toolbar on MY machine with Windows Vista and Firefox v 40.0.3; again the Norton Tool Bar update IS A COMPLETE FAILURE. 

....Yes, I did click the box in the Firefox window allowing to accept the updated tool bar and then clicked "Continue".  NOTHING.  No norton tool bar, and not listed in the Add-ons or Extensions tab.

Kudos0

ran live update no help, rebooted twice no help. why was this patch released?

does work with chrome but chrome is sloppy browser. does this patch work in ie?

Kudos0

change to ie 11 until norton fixes this. ie appears to work with the toolbar

Kudos0

Changing to different browsers presents other problems and since you mentioned IE it crashes with PNC online banking when using their secure message application or if you create a new biller or need to edit an existing biller. PNC's response to the problem was using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome. Truth is that all browsers have problems with Identity Safe and Firefox has the least number of problems (only one minor problem where on one site it did not display the logon ID and password but if you click the login button anyway it then fills them in and the login works ok). The second big problem with switching browsers is that many sites track which computer & browser used for login and if a change is detected you are required to use an additional security verification before the login is completed. Since the new patch screws up using Firefox 40.0.3 why not roll back that patch and give users a manual patch to restore the new patch or give users a manual patch to restore Firefox 40.0.3 operation that won't be disabled by the current patch until fix for both is released. Should not be a big problem since you have the code already that can do this.

Kudos0

is it going to be another month like this? for time being, you might want to turn auto updates off until this is resolved.

Kudos0

Hello tvzz

Are you referring to turn off automatic updates for Norton? If you are going to run Live Update manually, you will still end up with the update since you can't pick which updates your want. You can use Firefox ESR in the mean time. The ID Safe works with that version until the Toolbar is completely done.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Norton Core Security Plus 22.17.3.50 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.