• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

PC freezes during quick scan (Win 10 64-bit, 22.11.2.7)

Hello,
I have some problems with the quick scan on my PC (Win10, 64-Bit). Every time I do a quick scan my PC freezes during the scan.
The only thing I can do is to hard power off the PC.

My version of Norton Security is: 22.11.2.7 German Edition.

Steps taken so far:

- removed NS with RnR and reinstalled wihtout keeping settings - did not solve the problem
- installed offline via "NS-ESD-Def-22.11.2.7-GE" and applied Intelligent Update "20171222-003-core3sdsg2v5i64.exe" in safe mode - did not solve the problem
- installed via online installation file, the one which downloads NS from Internet - did not solve the problem

Whenever the PC is idling and starts a quick scan it will hang.

How do I solve this problem?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: PC freezes during quick scan (Win 10 64-bit, 22.11.2.7)

Have you disabled Windows Fast Startup feature?  If you use Windows 8/8.1 or 10, there can be an issue with the Fast Start feature.. See more information here.

How long are you allowing the computer to sit before shutting it down? Do you see any error messages?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Windows Fast Startup is always disabled on my Win10 machines as soon as Windows is installed I disable this feature, the hiberfil.sys file is not existent. It is not important how long I wait when the quick scan freezes the PC. There is no error message visible and the screen is frozen, mouse and keyboard input are not possible. Even soft off of PC via power button is not possible. The whole system freezes. The only thing that remains is to shut down the PC via 4-second press of power button.

This bug is very annoying since when I leave the PC on and it begins processing the background tasks it will freeze. Currently in this state my PC is not usable anymore with Norton Security installed on it.

Kudos0

What version of Windows 10 are you running? Did you recently get the Fall Creators Update? There may be some other Windows issue that is involved in this. 

Click on Start and type CMD in the search box. Right click on cmd.exe and click on Run as Administrator. Type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This will check your Windows installation and try to correct any errors it finds.

Kudos0

Hi SPaulovic,

Can you start a manual Quick Scan, and then see where the scan is is at when it freezes?

I have also noticed with a manual Quick Scan I just ran that once it gets to some of the threats towards the end of the scan, it does in fact load down my system, making it unusable until the Quick Scan finishes.  This may be what you are seeing.

Perhaps someone else can run a manual Quick Scan see if they are experiencing the same system loading.

<EDIT>  Reran Quick Scan and had no signs of freezing this time, I did find High CPU Usage by IE during the time fram I was running the first Quick Scan.

Kudos0

Hello to all,

the Windows Version is Windows 10 Pro 1709, 16299.125 64-bit. The fall creator's update was installed weeks ago.
I have 4 other PCs which do not have this problem and are running the same version of Norton Security and Windows 10 Pro.

I tried the manual quick scan multiple times and it locks up my system at random files. I don't even get so far, that VBS.Runauto and several other threats are being scanned.

Kudos0

The "sfc /scannow" task has been completed without errors. Afterwards I restarted the PC and did a quick scan.The PC still locks. The horizontal waiting bar (the yellow-white one) stands still. This is how it looks like.

Kudos0

Even a manual full system scan does freeze after a 1-2 second scan time.

Kudos0

Try disabling compressed file scans.  Go to Norton Settings - Anti Virus - Scans and Risks. Then turn off the Compressed file Scanning option. 

Your system will still be protected by the Norton Auto Protect feature, as any compressed file is accessed.

Kudos0

Thank you for this piece of advice. I disabled the compressed file scans and immediately did successfully a quick scan.

But, after doing a restart, then entering Norton Security (but not the configuration menue) and doing a manual quick scan my PC froze. It seems as if I have to change the compressed settings to ON and OFF to have a working scan engine.

Is it still possible to remove Norton Security via "Norton Removal Tool". I suppose this RnR does not wipe all data related to Norton Security. I would prefer doing a clean install to check if the installation is not faulty.

Kudos0

Btw, what's the secret behind this "compressed file scans" that it freezes my PC?

Kudos0

If you have some compressed files that have multiple folder structure, it seems to trip up Norton and cause problems with scans. As I noted, you are still protected when you try to open or view the compressed file. 

You should only have to change the Compressed File Scan once. As for reinstalling Norton again, I thought you already tried that. If the Norton Removal Tool you are referring to is an old download, it has been replaced with the newer Norton Removal and Reinstall tool. To get a clean install, just follow the directions at     www.norton.com/nrt   Then download a fresh copy of your Norton product from your account at    www.my.norton.com   Be sure you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, restarting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Kudos0

@SPaulovic - Pardon me for asking but is this a clean install of Win10 or an upgrade?  Thanks you and have a great holidays!!

Win10 x64; Proud graduate of GeeksToGo
Kudos0

Hello to all again,

first of all I wish you besides of my upper mentioned technical difficulties all the best, a happy Christmas and relaxed holidays.

@peterweb: I have done exactly the steps in that order you mentioned regarding the installation of a fresh copy of Norton, I first did RnR (just removal), then restart, install a new copy without internet connection, then in safe mode I applied the Intelligent Updater. This did not resolve the lockups. So I did RnR again (remove Norton wihtout keeping settings), restart PC. Then I logged in to my Norton account and downloaded the small installation file. This just results in an updated download of Norton and the Intelligent Updater files, which can be seen afterwards in the installation directory. Unfortunately this also did not resolve my lockups. I think I tried all possible variations of uninstall and install procedures. Somehow the old Norton Remove Tool has been replaced by RnR. Does this (RnR) wipe out Norton the same as Norton Removal Tool?

@dbrisendine: The Windows version 1607 was installed clean and then afterwards the Windows Update applied the 1709 update.

Somehow I think I will need to reinstall Win10, since I have 4 other PCs running the same Windows and Norton Security version and these PCs do not have this problem. Fortunately the one PC that I plan to reinstall does not have so much software installed on it, so it will not take hours to do so.

Kudos0

Somehow the old Norton Remove Tool has been replaced by RnR. Does this (RnR) wipe out Norton the same as Norton Removal Tool?

Yes. The NRNR tool has been updated with an option to Remove only. The link I gave,   www.norton.com/nrt   , takes you to the instructions to only remove your product.

Kudos0

hi

im having same issue but im on preview build of windows,my surface pro 4 crashed out with a memory issue,but laptop runs full/quick scan and both are on preview builds

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.