• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Problem Logging into Norton & Identity Safe through my local Norton 360

Dear Community

I'm running Norton 360 version 21.6. on Windows 8.1

Last week I had a situation where my Norton 360 appeared to block my access to the Internet and its Settings > Firewall > Program Rules became non-responsive.

So I uninstalled Norton 360 -  Got online - reset my Norton Account password online and downloaded / reinstalled Norton 360.

All pretty straightforward.

My Norton 360 now seems fine except for one thing - my local Identity Safe.

I can login into my Norton account (using my new password) and my identity safe vault ONLINE - on the norton website - but NOT when I try to do so using the Norton360 interface on my PC. (Norto 360 Identity > Login in to Identity Safe )

It finds my account using my email address but then rejects my password - preventing me accessing the next screen to enter my Vault password.

I know the password  I am entering is correct as I can login in on the norton website.

To add to my confusion - after having this same problem yesterday - the Norton360 interface on my PC suddenly accepted my password so that I could then use Vault.

But today - it has returned to rejecting my password.

Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thank you

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem Logging into Norton & Identity Safe through my local Norton 360

Look on the main Norton screen for your email address at the top right. If there, click on it and then click Sign Out. Restart your computer. Then try to sign into your vault again.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.
Kudos0

Hi hastingsnorton,

It sounds like you may have lost your Local Vault because you reinstalled N 360.   May I ask how you went about the reinstallation?  Did you uninstall N 360 via the Control Panel, run the NRT, download a clean copy of N 360 (from where), and then install N 360.  Perhaps you just used the NRT or only used the Control Panel method.

Unless you used the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, the above methods would have done away with the Local Vault.   In order to retain the Local Vault, you must install the fresh copy of N 360 "over the top" of the currently installed N 360 (or use the NRnRT).

In the past the only way we could regain the Local Vault, was to revert to N 360 2012 (v 6 I believe it was), set up the Local Vault and then do the "over the top" to version 21.6.0.32, however, user elsewhere with verification for other users, came up with the following procedure which is a bit quicker to do may assist you in getting back your Local Vault.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/retaining-your-local-vault

A couple of questions:

Did you in fact have a Local and an Online Vault prior to the remove/reinstall or just a Local?

Do you have an Export of your old Local Vault in .csv format available?

Did you in fact create an Online Vault since you reinstalled?

Kudos0

Thank you both for your knowledgeable replies.

As is sometimes the way after you sit down and write a lengthy post about your problem - the problem seems to fix itself!

Since I wrote the post above I have been able to login to my local vault straight away.

But I'm grateful for your suggestions and note for future reference.

Best Wishes

Kudos0

The most important thing is it seems to be working OK now - please keep an eye on it and you know where to find us if you need us again.

Kudos0

UPDATE RE BELOW: This may be a Firefox problem,which I need to research further. I was able to log onto my Vault using the Norton 360 window by clicking on the icon in the Windows 7 tray. It took a bit longer than it usually does to verify the password, but I worked and the "Vault is Open" button is now active in Firefox. This is a tolerable work-around to my problem until I'm able to find out what is conflicting with Firefox 34 and N360.

I've recently had problems logging into Identity Safe / Vault on my main computer -- Windows 7 w/360 & Firefox 34.

When I click on the "Vault is Closed" button, it brings up the window and I attempt to log in using my vault password and it goes right back to the password entry window. I clicked on the "eye" button to show my password as I entered it and it's correct.

At first, I thought some malware had changed settings, so I changed my Norton Account password (twice now). I'm still unable to log into the Vault on _this_ machine, but I'm able to log into the Vault on my old computer.

To make sure no malware had been at work on the new computer, I download the Norton Power Eraser and it fixed two problems, one with registry (not sure if that was related to 360 operation, it didn't list what was wrong) and one old .exe.

I'm currently sifting through these threads, trying to figure out how to get my Vault / Identity Safe working again, with no early success.

The Norton account page is even acting strange now, when I go to there and try logging in (with new, updated password which was verified when I changed it) the site says I've exceeded my failed log in attempts and to try again in an hour (this happened on my _first_ attempt earlier today, which struck me as very strange). I can click the "reset password" option, get an email and go to the link which allows me to reset my password and automatically logs me in, but that is cumbersome and makes me think something is very wrong.

N360 window shows me logged in to my email address and allows me to do normal things, so I'm not sure what is going on here.

Kudos0

Willy999

Try clicking on your email address on the main 360 screen and click Sign Out. Restart your computer and try to access your vault again.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Norton Password Manager data.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.