• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Product Update 22.7 - Download Problems

Hi,

Norton Security w. Backup is trying download the new product update and fails downloading the files.

- Checking for Updates : successful
- Downloading Updates: fail / sometimes a few kB out of approx. 50 MB

Tried: Restart, manually starting updates, retries each hour

Definition updates are up to date.
Anybody else with that problem ?
Has the product update been posted back again?

Greetings

------------

Hallo,

Norton Security mit Backup scheitert beim Download der Produkt-Update - Dateien.

- Auf Updates prüfen: Erfolgreich
- Updates herunterladen: Konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden / manchmal ein paar kB von ca. 50

Schon versucht: Programm Neustart, mehrfacher Update-Check, Neue Versuche halbstündlich

Die Definitionsupdates sind aktuell.
Hat noch jemand das Problem ?
Ist das Produkt-Update nochmals zurückgezogen worden ?

Gruß

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Product Update 22.7 - Download Problems

Hello

Do you have any other real time security programs running? How was the last security program removed? I would suggest that you run the Remove and Reinstall Tool. That will give you a clean install of the whole program.

Please read the opening paragraph first and remember to run Live Update to get all the updates., restarting when necessary.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

www.norton.com/nrnr

Please let us know how you made out.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi,
thanks for replying .

No other real time security is running on that PC. No new Installations. NS+BU is running for almost one year now. No Problems so far. Got all the updates 'til now. Still getting all the definition updates.

Does anybody know the servernames beeing contacted by NortonSecurity to download the updates. Might be a restriction on the router. I have to check if the router got an auto-update recently. I will check also check if the router (w. firewall etc.) blocks some content.

Interesting: the definition updates are beeing downloaded and installed. Only the program-update fails to download.

Greetings

sorry for my germany accent
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi,

I checked a few things an made it work.

What went wrong ?

I use an additional hardware firewall which prevents downloading several file types for security reasons. Usually when someone tries to download one of the blocked file types (with Browsers or by a deep link in a document) a browser windows pops up an shows a message like "Downloading the file ...  from .... is blocked, ...".

Exception rules are defined.

But this time no error message occurred, no browser pop up with the warning appeared, nothing happend. The download of Nortons Program Updated just stopped. The Definition updates in the morning an in the afternoon went fine.

So I have to find out the server names Norton is using for program updates an have to define new exception rules.

CU

Kudos0

Hello BPB-MD

Are you saying that you use the Smart Firewall from NSBU plus your modem/router plus another hardware firewall? It's not a good idea to run so many firewalls for the reason of what has just happened to you. If you want to block certain sites or programs, you can do that with the Norton Smart Firewall. There are people in the Community who can tell you how to do this. Almost everything now comes thru Live Update. This other Firewall might have blocked other parts of Norton from downloading.

Thanks.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit NSBU 22.17.0.183 Core Firmware 282 I E 11 Chrome latest version.
Kudos0

Hi, we use a Sophos UTM (which also does the routing) in our network and Norton NSwB on some of the the Clients. The extra Hardware protects the clients in the network where no security software can be used. The UTM also stops unwanted network traffic from outside before it reaches our internal network. The regular definition updates passed the UTM with no problems all the time. Using the manually update function, NS shows how many updates are available, how many are being downloaded and the success. In case of a disturbance or interruption NS tries to download the missing part the next time. I often ran the updates manually, in order to see how many are available, to recognize the big ones an the product updates and not to miss failed updates. With that I will be able to react and work over on other clients. Just this one time the product update did not came through. I tried several times. And all the accompanying (definition) updates came through an were installed correctly. Now I am sure it's a settings-problem of the UTM. I have to set up new exceptions for Norton-Updates. Thamks. CU

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.