• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Quick Scan taking too long 22.5.5.14

Since installing 22.5.5.14 via liveupate quick scans take approx. 5 minutes. Before the update it took about 1 minute. (Yes I'm aware the product update was pulled back. But it's already on my system.)

Even full scan takes about 5 minutes longer. But that could be caused by the latest Windows cumulative update.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Norton Security v.22.17.x

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Quick Scan taking too long 22.5.5.14

FWIW SGFC, My Quick Scans prior to and after 22.5.5.14 on win 7 using NSBU (NS Premium) take any where from 3 minutes and 30 seconds to 3 minutes and 45 seconds.

Admittingly they are slower than yours of 1 minute and shorter than yours of 5 minutes - but to me it does show that there has been no drastic increase in scan time. 

Kudos0

I did run Norton Insight scan right after installing Windows 10 version 1511. But maybe the cumulative update hasn't been around long enough. I believe previous full scans took 6 minutes and quick scans took 1 minute. Now it takes 15 minutes for full and 5 for quick scans. It still scans the same amount of files.
Kudos0

Hi, SGFC. Have you checked the All Files scan, when you did the Insight scan ?

If you run that one, then subsequent scans SHOULD be quicker.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Yes I always use all files in Insight.

I'll have to scan tomorrow and see if there's an improvement. I checked through history and it's only been the last few days that the scans have doubled or tripled in time.

Kudos0

Hi,

Glad I found this thread, I found that my scans were taking a bit too long to complete, both quick and full! I checked 'All files' in the Insight scan function, ran it then did a full and then a quick scan and what a difference in scanning speeds. Thanks guys.

NS V. 22.5.5.14  W7 Home Prem

Edit : Forgot to add I also unchecked compressed file scan under Anti virus 'scans and risks'.

Kudos0

The quick scan time has been cut in half today. It went from exactly 4:17 to 1:56

I'll report back later about the full scan.

Kudos0

Full scan still takes almost double the time. It went from about 7:30 to 13:41 since 11/14

Kudos0

Hi, SGFC. As you may be aware, this latest update to 22.5.5.14 has been pulled.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-2255-product-update-availa...

I'm still on 22.5.4.24, but I'm wondering if this latest patch may have thrown things out, and maybe worth running an ALL Files Insight Scan again ?

When the patch is re-released, it may fix your issue.   MAYBE !

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

Possibly but if that's the case maybe they need to hold it back even longer. Because apparently the only issue is the "Security and Maintenance".

I've run Insight all files scan at least twice if not thrice.

Kudos0

Quick scan 2 minutes 53 seconds (that's almost triple the amount of time)

Full scan 13 minutes 49 seconds (that's almost double the amount of time)

I have run another Insight scan "all files" since the last post with no improvement.

Kudos0

Here's something odd. How can a quick scan and full scan run at the same time?

NS 22.5.5.15

Kudos0

The scans are still taking an incredibly long time. Also quick scan seems to find 8 - 12 tracking cookies every time. Even though I've deleted internet temp files, data and cookies. But I don't expect an answer is forthcoming.

Kudos0

Hi, SGFC. Fwiw, those times you've listed are par for the course.

I don't know how long you expect these scans to take, but that's industry average as files get added.

I also make a point of running CCleaner to clean up temporary/unnecessary files before a scan.

Windows 10 Home X 64
Kudos0

My quick scan used to take 1 minute 30 seconds approx. Full scan would take 5 - 6 minutes. The amount of files Norton is scanning hasn't changed. That's why it seems strange it's taking 3 times the amount of time to scan.

Also everyday either the quick or full scan finds 10 - 12 cookies when before it rarely found any.

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.