• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Advanced

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

This forum thread needs a solution.
Kudos0

Ransom ware not detected by NS 2017

I have current NS 2017 with all updates but I had an issue this morning. I was using the UK web site trainline.com and had got to a page to check the stations a particular train stopped at and suddenly the page changed to a danger warning page saying someone had hooked on to my IP address and I had to phone a particular number to stop it.

The screens and messages would not cancel so I used task manager to close all programs and then did a full system scan which showed no threats. Why did this happen as Norton is meant to stop these

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Ransom ware not detected by NS 2017

Philcath.Your Norton product protected you from the exploits this drive-by attack was presenting by stopping the threat. If your scans don't show anything you should be safe. Look in your Norton history to see what the results of the detection are. If no further actions are needed Norton took care of the threat for you. These threats are often times cross-site code injections and even the website admins do not check for these on a regular basis. If you are still concerned run NPE from your Norton product under "scans". You may also want to download the FREE version of Malwarebytes and run just for peace of mind. It is fully compatible with your Norton product.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Cheers

"From DOS to Windows10 what a journey it has been" / MS Certified Professional / Windows 10 Home / Professional x 64 version 1903 / build 18362.239 / N360 Deluxe 22.17.3.50 / Norton Core v.282 on Android 2.00
Kudos1 Stats

That is not ransomware, which encrypts your files so that you must pay to recover them.  What you saw was a JavaScript browser redirect to a website that displayed a fake warning that your PC was at risk in order to try to convince you to call a phone number where they would have attempted to frighten you into paying for tech support services that you don't really need.  What you saw was a scam, but not malware.  Norton did not block it because the page that displayed did not really do anything that would affect your PC.  Had the page actually launched an attack, Norton's IPS feature would have blocked it.

Kudos0

Turn off WIFI or internet and Try to reset what ever browser your using to factory default settings in tools or settings advanced options etc. If one fails to reset try it in safe mode to see if that solves your problem. This worked for me in the event of remote Attacker 2 on port 80.

Kudos0

Philcath, SendOfJive is correct. There was no intrusion, so nothing to worry about.

By all means run a Full Scan again if you wish, but likely all will be clean.

Windows 10 Home X 64

This thread is closed from further comment. Please visit the forum to start a new thread.